Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gica_7

And he still won more trophies with us than Saint Poch ever won in his life.
Yes but as long as you don't win EPL, does that really really matter that much? Ok, for a club like Spurs, a cup might matter to some extend but I would much rather had Poch at United than LvG at that point. Spurs' problems lies in more management than Poch. He carried them to a CL final which was something they wouldn't even see in their dreams. Winning cups matters, don't get me wrong. But, if we had Poch at that point, maybe we wouldn't have been that far off from that top now.

And I can't believe some Spurs fans right now. A lot of them are trashing their squad. They can't be that different than they were a year ago. It almost feels like what we said for Shaw, Lindelof, Martial and Rashford under Mourinho. Change the mentality, add quality and suddenly that deadwood becomes valuable. This is on coaching. I see a lot of comments like "Jose's style is outdated" etc. Ok but what is his style? Watch our games under him, watch Spurs this year and I struggle to see a plan. Looks like random 11 people on the pitch. What is the tactical talk that leads up to that game on the field is beyond me.

Last edited:

AshRK

He has become everything he once hated with wenger. Complaining about everything but it's never his fault. Maybe the day he openly admits forgot about refs, it's my own fault and maybe my tactics need to change and evolve.

I also think the Journalists love to rile him and keep on asking him about the refs.

sugar_kane

He's the Donald Trump of managers

His fanatics on Twitter are seriously fecking weird.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wonder when football executives will realize that he isn't worth the poor image? You are not going to play attractive football, he stifles creative players, isn't good for young players developments and nowadays he doesn't guarantee you top trophies.
And there will be endless drama! He is so past it

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He is past it. Spurs are going backwards. They could have at least hired a progressive manager to replace one of the most progressive manager in football, but it seems Pochettino got Spurs fan thinking they are bigger than they are. The only way I can see this working out is if Spurs board give Mourinho the type of money, Manchester United give their manager. If not, Mourinho will fail miserably and it will be a joy to watch Spurs fan reactions.

FujiVice

They're going to hire Poch back. They're going to get so desperate for a moral boost among their fanbase. Mourinho doesnt just provide crap football. He absolutely breaks down a clubs enthusiasm to its very core.

Mindhunter

I don't think there's much difference to the Jose of his prime to the Jose of today. I don't think he's a spent force. I feel if he took over Newcastle with all that Saudi money they might get and didn't have to worry about FFP like he didn't have to worry about in his first Chelsea stint, and went out and spent 500 million on the likes of Cristiano, Erling Haaland, Frenkie De Jong and Phil Foden in 1 transfer window, then I think he'd take Newcastle up the table quickly. No guarantees he'd win the current league but he'd get close.

It's just that big clubs don't want to win ugly anymore. And there's enough really top attacking coaches out there today for big clubs to not have to resort to a zombie football manager such as a Jose, a Rafa or a Simeone anymore.

He did great things at Porto but they were a club who won the league blindfolded during that era, and even Villas Boas won mountains of trophies there after Jose, so they were a team who could play their second team in a league match on a Saturday, so their first team were fresh for a huge CL tie the following Wednesday.

Jose has done incredible things, but he's been in the right place at the right time a lot which I believe has created a bit of a myth about his coaching abilities, similar to when Ranieri won the league with Leicester at a time when all the big clubs in the Premier league had very poor managers. Or similar to Tuchel at PSG where the team win the league blindfolded every season due to living in a different universe to everyone else.

Add to the fact that Jose has evolved zero as a tactician in the past decade and its not a surprise he's in free-fall at Spurs
The bolded part is true for any manager in the top 8 so it doesn't really say much. Jose has lost his veneer of invincibility that he had early in his career. He was a force of nature when he came to England and immediately dismantled SAFs hegemony. It wasn't easy to watch for us fans that a young and charismatic manager from a foreign country comes in and declare himself "the special one" in SAF's backyard and then actually wins the league.

Whenever I watched his Chelsea team play us under SAF, I had a sick feeling in my stomach. The feeling that this guy has SAF's number and probably SAF doesn't have the x-factor to deal with this guy. Eventually SAF proved me wrong though. I think it was SAF's greatest achievement to stay relevant in the era of Abramovic with a non-existent budget but such was the aura of Jose.

Also, you are highly maximizing the advantage Porto have. The same is true for clubs like Bayern and yet they haven't won the CL every year. Also the fact that Jose has won the CL with three different clubs also speaks volumes about his tactical skills. What he has achieved with Inter, despite the money spent is not easily replicated.

The truth is that managers do have a self-life and Jose is towards the end of it. The very headstrong nature that made him successful is now the cause of his downfall. He doesn't know any other way to operate. He is too old to change his style based on modern football and continues to tap into the things that made him successful in the first place.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’ve had the 3rd season implosion in the first half-season. At least we got a couple of minor trophies & a 2nd place out of it. Poor bastards.

Cant wait for next season when he tries to swap Ndombele & Son for Fellaini & Mandzukic :lol:

tomaldinho1

Yes but as long as you don't win EPL, does that really really matter that much? Ok, for a club like Spurs, a cup might matter to some extend but I would much rather had Poch at United than LvG at that point. Spurs' problems lies in more management than Poch. He carried them to a CL final which was something they wouldn't even see in their dreams. Winning cups matters, don't get me wrong. But, if we had Poch at that point, maybe we wouldn't have been that far off from that top now.

And I can't believe some Spurs fans right now. A lot of them are trashing their squad. They can't be that different than they were a year ago. It almost feels like what we said for Shaw, Lindelof, Martial and Rashford under Mourinho. Change the mentality, add quality and suddenly that deadwood becomes valuable. This is on coaching. I see a lot of comments like "Jose's style is outdated" etc. Ok but what is his style? Watch our games under him, watch Spurs this year and I struggle to see a plan. Looks like random 11 people on the pitch. What is the tactical talk that leads up to that game on the field is beyond me.
This is what Mourinho does, he makes fans start thinking their team is dogshit so then he's not the one at fault. With us Mou didn't rate Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, Pogba and yet they're all without exception playing really well for us now - what's worse is he bought some of those players. In every presser if he drops hints about needing more 'quality' or mentioning he's happy with 'some' players after a while, assuming he's not sacked, fans start to think he's right but in reality Spurs have a really good squad.

It's not even about winning or losing because people watch football for entertainment and Spurs are now horrific, they used to be one of the few teams I'd watch if they were on aside from United. On paper they should be fighting with us and Chelsea for 3rd and 4th (I think Leicester are playing well above their level) and they shouldn't need to be doing it through sitting deep and playing tumescent football.

iHicksy

What was it he used to call Wenger? An expert in failure? That pretty much sums him up nowadays.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agree, its getting harder and harder to defend him.
I unfortunately tend to agree as well.
I have been a big fan of Jose and of course his record is excellent.
And I still look back at his second season with United where he got us to second place with 81 points as a huge achievement.

But something is not right with him. And watching Tottenham play under him is just a sad sight.

I just hope that he can prove us all wrong.

The United

Why would anyone want to defend him? :confused:
Exactly. I mean he is an all time great manager but when he was our manager, he didn't make us feel or make anything good or special. If anything he made it opposite and tried to instill the mentality of underdog shite on us. I don't understand why any of United fans would want to defend him at this point.

MalcolmTucker

Anyone that calls themselves a United fan and still defends Jose after his heritage speech needs to have a serious word with themselves.

Norris Cole

He really does look a busted flush - shame as I came to quite like him as a person during his time at United.
His tactical and man-management skills that he was once famous for just seem pre-historic now.

The lack of confidence and negative atmosphere coming out of Spurs right now is almost identical to what we were experiencing around 2 years ago.

Rajma

I think that tells you everything about his methods.

Non-existant offensive drilling and more of the work it out yourself guys with added responsbilities on attackers to track back all the way to the byline. Mastermind.

Shark

@NotShark
Would he not at least try his arm at at some attacking football at this point? He's obviously not an idiot but it's obvious his methods aren't working anymore and it's not like he's managing West Ham, he has attacking talent at his disposal. All I can put it down to is LVG like stubbornness.

Ole'sattheWheel

Would he not at least try his arm at at some attacking football at this point? He's obviously not an idiot but it's obvious his methods aren't working anymore and it's not like he's managing West Ham, he has attacking talent at his disposal. All I can put it down to is LVG like stubbornness.
I remember he went through a small phase at United where it was clear he was trying out some attacking play, but it was a total disaster. We lost 3-2 at Brighton and then ironically lost 3-0 to Spurs at Old Trafford. The latter was a horrible game as I remember we actually looked alright but conceded against the run of play while Lukaku missed a couple of sitters.

Anyway I think that ship has sailed as he had a bit of a meltdown (it was the 'football heritage, I have won the premier league three times' conference) and doubled down on being ultra defensive from then on.

Thinking about it that was possibly the beginning of the end for him here, as he desperately needed a CB - Alderweireld if the press are to be believed - who happened to have a solid game against us on the day. Which I can imagine made Jose extra salty

alexthelion

I can only shake my head when people say these sort of things. Let me put it to you - let's say Ole was a total disaster and the team were going backwards fast. Would you look to sell Bruno and Rashford to reinvest and accept you'll be fighting for Europa spot for a few seasons? I hope that helps you understand just how ridiculous that sounds. Selling our best players and accepting we will be a mid-table team for several years doesn't sound like a good plan to me so no.
Difference being, and it's a big difference, United have a lot of younger players that can improve. Tottenham is an aeing side that desperately needs re-vamping and there's little or no money to do so.

Apples and oranges.

E-mal

I said it at the time he was coming to us(united) that he was the wrong choice because of the kind of work that needed to be done to get us to the top but now I just feel that regardless of what work needs to be done, he is just the wrong man for it.

I feel for spurs fans because we lived through all that's happening now but what I hated about his time here was how divided our fan base was and how some people hated some of our players because of this vile human being.

How dare him question the size of our club and heritage, very billous person.

Strelok

I said it at the time he was coming to us(united) that he was the wrong choice because of the kind of work that needed to be done to get us to the top but now I just feel that regardless of what work needs to be done, he is just the wrong man for it.

I feel for spurs fans because we lived through all that's happening now but what I hated about his time here was how divided our fan base was and how some people hated some of our players because of this vile human being.

How dare him question the size of our club and heritage, very billous person.
He is really good at this. Feck him I miss my old pals.

Just want to share my story.

We had an United forum in my country. It's kinda small with probably a few hundreds frequent members but we're all there for a long time and actually know each other quite well, of course online mostly. So it's all friendly, civilized and nice. Felt like a family somewhat.

Then came the appointment of Mourinho. Soon enough, the forum was flooded with new members. They usually didn't know much about football but kinda nice so fine. It's ok for the first year and a half. Then came the time of bad results, the signing of Sanchez and the Sevilla match. The forum suddenly got divided into two factions fighting each other mercilessly, lot of f word. Pro Mourinho and anti Mourinho of course. Most of the new members were in the pro Mourinho faction. Us the old members the anti. We eventually got tired of this, and we hate the toxic atmosphere at the time so most left.

Then Mourinho was sacked, we the old members got back to the forum. Most of those new members just disappeared. The ones left were still trying to defend Mourinho at all cost. Their main tactic was just playing dumb or driving the conversation away if their argument was wrong. If they couldn't then the f word again. It annoyed us old members too much that most left again.

Last year I checked and the forum was dead. It just no longer existed.

SambaBoy

I think some Spurs fan will be clinging to the fact that he hasn't had a summer yet, and a pre-season and that next year they will look even better but I think they will go backwards any more. A squad in decline, a manager who is past it, teams around them are getting better and have more resources to strengthen whilst I can't see Levy backing Jose with massive funds.

They will do well to compete for top 4 next year IMO.

Chelsea are up there this season, have a young squad and have two class performers in Ziyech + Werner to join with the possibility of Havertz. United obviously ending this season on fire and will have Fernandes from the start next season, and hopefully Pogba for the whole season, the emergence of Greenwood and possibly Sancho. City will have a big summer I feel and Liverpool are Liverpool.

SAFMUTD

Do you think he was sacked too soon? Or even swap Ole to have him back
I think we sacked him too late, he should had been gone after sevilla's match and those disgraceful comments and I wouldnt have him here never again.

He is just a poor shadow of what he once was, its sad to see him like this.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
How long is his contract? Longer the contract the more fecked spurs are cause with their ever dwindling revenue in the near future they will have to pay him severance at some point.

championo

Top Stalker
Its a shame that he will be remembered more for his failures than successes. He's done as a top manager.
He thrived on the undergo mentality to usher in great success, but it seems he is unable to put in the same energy his recent teams need to get that chip on their shoulders, I hear he was not interested in actually being on the training field with our players but rather sent his assistance most of the time, while his first stint at Chelsea reads a different story where he actually battled with the players on the training grounds.
He has made it now, there is nothing to prove anymore and that is why he is where he is.
Also he does not know how to develop young players. He was the wrong choice for us for rebuilding.

Seven Seas Sardines

How long is his contract? Longer the contract the more fecked spurs are cause with their ever dwindling revenue in the near future they will have to pay him severance at some point.
Three more seasons after this one, £15m per season. If they buy him out that's their transfer kitty for the duration of the contract. :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is what Mourinho does, he makes fans start thinking their team is dogshit so then he's not the one at fault. With us Mou didn't rate Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, Pogba and yet they're all without exception playing really well for us now - what's worse is he bought some of those players. In every presser if he drops hints about needing more 'quality' or mentioning he's happy with 'some' players after a while, assuming he's not sacked, fans start to think he's right but in reality Spurs have a really good squad.

It's not even about winning or losing because people watch football for entertainment and Spurs are now horrific, they used to be one of the few teams I'd watch if they were on aside from United. On paper they should be fighting with us and Chelsea for 3rd and 4th (I think Leicester are playing well above their level) and they shouldn't need to be doing it through sitting deep and playing tumescent football.
Exactly, somehow his fans lap it up. There are so many examples but somehow they don't want to see that. Players plays like shit because of Jose tactics and then he wants everyone to believe how shit his players are and how amazing job he has done. Even if he signs players he then shits on scouts and others to point out how we squandered money but opponent have better players as they have better scouts.

He is just shameless guy, praised every club that spent money saying how much they have improved as they spent money, when it came to Spurs, he praised them for retaining their team as they didn't spend money, when it came to West Ham he praised them for signing Diop.

He had Martial and Rashford in the squad, shat on them and played Lukaku all the time. He had Shaw, shat on him and played Young (sometimes it was justified but he never thought more than a game. For him long term is next game). Now all these 3 players are having very good season as they have manager's confidence and got playing time.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Strelok said:
We had an United forum in my country.

Then came the appointment of Mourinho.

Last year I checked and the forum was dead. It just no longer existed.