Jose Mourinho to PSG?

eat_grass

Well,

Matic
Pogba
Lukaku
Mkhitaryan
Lindelof

These are all his players no? I agree he may need more players but there should be a direction already with these players already awaiting the finishing touches. For example, everyone knows the direction Liverpool is heading and that they need CBs, a DM and maybe a keeper to challenge. Same could be said about City last season.
Every one of those players was bought to fill a specific role. Every single one. How can you claim there's no direction there? Mourinho said at the beginning of this season he needs one more window to compete for the title. Is it a shock to you United were not as ready as City when he and Pep took over?

United finished 7th, 4th, and 5th before Mourinho took over.
City finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th before Guardiola.

So what on Earth makes you think United should be on level terms with City, even after City spent more money in the last two years?

Just to add, the two defenders you are referring to are Walker and Mendy right? Well Delph has played more minutes than Mendy and he wasn't part of the 100m. Walker, yes I agree but if you think he is the reason for the 17 wins on the bounce then you aren't being objective. The pressing this season is way above what we've seen from any city side, the understanding among the players have also improved and yes, Pep has done well with the players.
Both Mendy and Walker are suited perfectly for Guardiola's pressing system. Either Pep is a thrift spender, or you're intentionally under-selling their importance to that team. Without Walker, Mendy (to a lesser extent), and Ederson there is zero chance City go on their 17-match winning streak. It's just utter nonsense from people desperate to praise Guardiola to say otherwise.

Reactions: Sultan

Quizierda

Really doubt PSG are that stupid to take him honestly..
They want to play a Pep style of football with high prissing, attacking and loads of goals. Mou will probably turn Neymar and Mbappé to some medicore wingbacks..

buckooo1978

Yes I think (and hope) that PSG is Pep's next port of call

I can't imagine Jose there given his approach in big games

PepG

Supports
Ajax
There is something that all saying that Pep will go to PSG at some point are missing. The owners of PSG and the owners of City are actually in some kind of "Cold war" between them. If Pep is backed fully at City and let to build a team in his vision there is zero sense for Guardiola to go next straight to the enemies of his current owners!

Fracture90

Honestly only way I can see PSG going after Mourinho is if their owners and club management has collectively stopped paying any attention to anything football related since June 2010.

Last edited:

Bojan11

There is something that all saying that Pep will go to PSG at some point are missing. The owners of PSG and the owners of City are actually in some kind of "Cold war" between them. If Pep is backed fully at City and let to build a team in his vision there is zero sense for Guardiola to go next straight to the enemies of his current owners!
When does Pep stay in a job long term? He even said himself he won’t stay past 4 years. If his boyhood club couldn’t convince him to stay long term, I don’t see City doing that.

I think he’d stay max 4 years at City.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
When does Pep stay in a job long term? He even said himself he won’t stay past 4 years. If his boyhood club couldn’t convince him to stay long term, I don’t see City doing that.

I think he’d stay max 4 years at City.
I am not saying that Pep will stay at City till the end of his career.. I think his reign there would be total 5 years.. What i am saying is that i highly doubt he would join PSG or at least not right after his City spell is over. He might go to Italy after City (he played there for Roma and Brescia).. I remember his praise for Arrigo Sacchi's Milan so my guess is that he would like to be a coach there but i am dunno wich club will have the right conditions for his ideas.

Last edited:

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see him moving through choice as he has a teenage daughter being educated here in the UK, though probably if has to move, PSG would make sense as Paris to London is not that much more than Manchester to London.

sugar_kane

I think United was an obsession of Jose’s for a long time and now he’s here and embedded that mystique has worn off and to him we’re just another big club (he’s made this plain through some of his comments)

On this basis it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go, and if I’m right it also wouldn’t bother me - provided he isn’t doing amazingly well for us.

On balance I’d want one more season from him as he has an eye for a good transfer and next year he will have the drive to take down Pep.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Still can’t figure out for the life of me why PSG would think they need him. They’re way beyond what we’re serving up on the pitch.

I think we’re doing okay under Mourinho but I would not be upset if this happened.

overrated 92's

I think United was an obsession of Jose’s for a long time and now he’s here and embedded that mystique has worn off and to him we’re just another big club (he’s made this plain through some of his comments)

On this basis it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go, and if I’m right it also wouldn’t bother me - provided he isn’t doing amazingly well for us.

On balance I’d want one more season from him as he has an eye for a good transfer and next year he will have the drive to take down Pep.
I get what you're saying, but we've never really been anything else other than just another big club regardless of what many on here think.

The Respectful Blue

Supports
Manchester City
Every one of those players was bought to fill a specific role. Every single one. How can you claim there's no direction there? Mourinho said at the beginning of this season he needs one more window to compete for the title. Is it a shock to you United were not as ready as City when he and Pep took over?

United finished 7th, 4th, and 5th before Mourinho took over.
City finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th before Guardiola.

So what on Earth makes you think United should be on level terms with City, even after City spent more money in the last two years?

Both Mendy and Walker are suited perfectly for Guardiola's pressing system. Either Pep is a thrift spender, or you're intentionally under-selling their importance to that team. Without Walker, Mendy (to a lesser extent), and Ederson there is zero chance City go on their 17-match winning streak. It's just utter nonsense from people desperate to praise Guardiola to say otherwise.
I think that you’ve accidentally overlooked the key point that when Mourinho stepped in United had just finished on level points with City (City pipped you for 4th on goal difference only).

After 1 season of Mourinho in your hot seat United finished 9 points behind City and halfway through season 2 United are 15 points behind City.

So from level pegging to 9 points adrift and now heading towards maybe 30 points adrift (I think less as City will concentrate on the CL and FAC) this would seem to demonstrate that, compared to City, United are going backwards under Jose.

It is this steep decline that is causing the angst amongst United supporters.

Last edited by a moderator:

JK-27

If Jose goes to PSG it'll be because he wants to win the CL and break records for doing it at 4 different clubs. And PSG have the money he says he needs to win (but in reality buy) it. And they already have Neymar too. No manager goes to Ligue 1 to test themselves, PSG will walk it without Jose, so he's only there to win them the CL. If he doesn't do that then he'd have failed, so it's a big risk for him to do so. The level in Ligue 1 isn't as good as the Prem, La Liga, or Serie A, so that's why PSG struggle in the CL, they're just not used to playing such tough opposition week in, week out.

Donut

Would PSG even take him? I know Jose is still a huge name but there's been a lot of negative press about his style of play lately and PSG pride themselves on being a very entertaining team.

eat_grass

I think that you’ve accidentally overlooked the key point that when Mourinho stepped in United had just finished on level points with City (City pipped you for 4th on goal difference only).

After 1 season of Mourinho in your hot seat United finished 9 points behind City and halfway through season 2 United are 15 points behind City.

So from level pegging to 9 points adrift and now heading towards maybe 30 points adrift (I think less as City will concentrate on the CL and FAC) this would seem to demonstrate that, compared to City, United are going backwards under Jose.

It is this steep decline that is causing the angst amongst United supporters.
This is where things get tricky because the numbers don't tell the full story. Last year Man City didn't win a single trophy, and did relatively poorly in the knockout competitions:

FA Cup Third round Semi-finals
League Cup Third round Fourth round
UEFA Champions League Play-off round Round of 16

That's poor by top-6 standards. Mourinho traded in more League points for two trophies and qualification into the CL. So last year Mourinho had a better season than Guardiola.

This year, City is rewriting the record books. They're over-performing by a mile, and United recently are probably under-performing (throwing away points against Leicester and gifting City two goals and three points).

Part of the points gap is down to United having played 10 League matches without their most effective player. Where would City be had KDB been injured or suspended for 10 matches?

Based on current trajectories, City won't ever lose another game, and United will forever be stuck in a depressing morass. But things change (ask last year's Champions). Just like Guardiola buying Walker, Danilo, Mendy, and Ederson last summer catapulted City into the stratosphere, United will need to sign players to shore up glaring weaknesses. Guardiola got exactly the players he asked the board for. Will Mourinho get the same treatment?

RedStrudel76

If he does go to PSG I'd love to see Carlos Queiroz return home. He's done miracles with Iran and knows the club..

The excitement of change and hope by getting a new manager would really transform the toxic atmosphere currently at the club.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wum
If he does go to PSG I'd love to see Carlos Queiroz return home. He's done miracles with Iran and knows the club..

The excitement of change and hope by getting a new manager would really transform the toxic atmosphere currently at the club.
Wum

MiceOnMeth

Would PSG even take him? I know Jose is still a huge name but there's been a lot of negative press about his style of play lately and PSG pride themselves on being a very entertaining team.
His Real Madrid team scored 121 goals in the 2011/2012 season. With the fire power of Neymar Cavani and Mbappe and the weakness of the French League Jose would have them playing similar football.

Drawfull

Is the option to extend his contract by one year on the club, Jose or both? At what point in time would we expect him to do so either way?

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with him entering (what at the moment would be) the final year of his contract if there haven't been noises about the option being taken up. It would almost certainly negatively affect the players' mentality.

I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I really don't want us to be looking for another manager in a few months.

Fridge chutney

What are you on about? Just because there's a toxic atmosphere on Redcafe (personified in your daft post) doesn't mean there's a toxic atmosphere at the club.

RooneyLegend

His Real Madrid team scored 121 goals in the 2011/2012 season. With the fire power of Neymar Cavani and Mbappe and the weakness of the French League Jose would have them playing similar football.
Given they already score heavily he should be able to achieve that similarly to what happened at Madrid when he took over a team that had no problems offensively. Him building an attack from scratch is another matter altogether as is him leading them to a CL triumph.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Toxic atmosphere?
You make it sound like our players and coaching staff are going through a living hell, while we languish in a relegation battle.
Factually, we finished top of the CL group. We are 2nd in the league, to a record breaking MCFC side. And this has been achieved, while our best player has not been playing for the majority of the season.

I am dumbfounded that despite getting good results, for the first time since Fergie left, people are using phrases like, "toxic atmosphere" or that they want Jose gone.

If Jose stays, I see us finishing top 2 for the next 3 years. Probably winning the league at least once and going far in the CL.
If he goes, we'll be a team fighting once again, for top 4, for years to come. I am now convinced that some of you are not MUFC fans. There simply is no other explanation for this.

redflair

I think there's more chance of Arsene Wenger heading to PSG rather than Mourinho, if Emery is sacked.

A deep malaise has descended on the Emirates and he might just think one big shot at the CL, with a stellar team, will finally silence the critics who think he's an underachiever in Europe (as well as home, recently).

Talyaani

Why would PSG want him ?

They have invested in skillful players, the last thing they need is a ultra defensive coach down there.

In my opinion Manchester United is the last Big Club he will be at, unless he decides to go back to Inter if the Chinese owners are willing to spend big.

Inter is basically the only big club left after United who are willing to take him back

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In France, nobody is discussing about the next PSG coach.

If Real Madrid kicks PSG out of the ECL, then Mourinho will be part of a short-list of 4-5 big names.

You need to wait February at least before speculating about this potential move.

Talyaani

Toxic atmosphere?
You make it sound like our players and coaching staff are going through a living hell, while we languish in a relegation battle.
Factually, we finished top of the CL group. We are 2nd in the league, to a record breaking MCFC side. And this has been achieved, while our best player has not been playing for the majority of the season.

I am dumbfounded that despite getting good results, for the first time since Fergie left, people are using phrases like, "toxic atmosphere" or that they want Jose gone.

If Jose stays, I see us finishing top 2 for the next 3 years. Probably winning the league at least once and going far in the CL.
If he goes, we'll be a team fighting once again, for top 4, for years to come. I am now convinced that some of you are not MUFC fans. There simply is no other explanation for this.
We are a team fighting for top 4 as we speak ......

ti vu

Weird this. They clearly aim for the CL which Conte has everything to prove. Surprised no mention of Ancelotti. That man is not great with the league but the way Ligue 1 is, it's not too hard to win it, while Ancelotti is one of the best when it comes to CL.

BigCaine

I can hardly buy it. Why would they want to change the current manager, they are playing fantastic football at the moment.
Heard from a French friend who is here for a wedding that it seems to a given that unless Emery manages to win the CL he is out of the door and there is a good chance that even that might not be enough, apparently the sheikhs or whoever they have put in charge have made up their minds about Emery and only reason he hadn't been sacked last season was no one was available.

redNATION

Weird this. They clearly aim for the CL which Conte has everything to prove. Surprised no mention of Ancelotti. That man is not great with the league but the way Ligue 1 is, it's not too hard to win it, while Ancelotti is one of the best when it comes to CL.
Ancelotti already managed them a few years ago and left for Real. Maybe pride is stopping them going back to him.

ti vu

Ancelotti already managed them a few years ago and left for Real. Maybe pride is stopping them going back to him.
IKR. Possibly but if they're serious about CL, then it's better than with Conte. Clearly Conte is not yes man type when it comes to how the director board manage transfer and his CL CV leaves much to desire. Ancelotti works around with what is in his hand.