Jose Mourinho's biggest weakness as a manager

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Depends on the given situation. As with so many great managers, their strengths are at times their weaknesses. I'd say for Mourinho it's probably operating with too small a squad but that, when it goes right, means he wins the majority of competitions he is competing in.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Some real nonsense in this thread.

There seems to be confusion between determination / passion / confidence and mental weakness / bad mentality.

Mental toughness doesn't solely determine if you're great or not.

As someone had said earlier in this thread the manager should do what it takes to get the best out of his players. Some need to be yelled at. Some need to be babyed. It's what Fergie was great at. He knew who needed what.

pixel

Being too cautious in bigger games.
This. The desire to first avoid defeat, dictates how he approaches games. Nullifying your opposition is a perfectly valid strategy, but he just seems to resort to it more often than not.

Womp

idiot
It won't change. Never liked that about him before joining us and still feel the same now.
Yea fair enough, not everybody's cup of tea. It frustrates me but personally I don't mind it, titles are won against the minnow teams.

It seems he hasn't gotten the players he would have wanted given the Griezmann situation etc. so it'll be interesting to see if he can still manage a proper challenge next season, which is the minimum requirement.

Kaos

Being too cautious in bigger games.
I don't mind him doing this, Sir Alex adopted this too in the later years of his career.

It's sitting back at 1-0 against relegation fodder which irritates me. We should be going after more goals to finish them off, not tightening up at the back to protect ourselves from the might of Stewart Downing :rolleyes:

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Has worked for him his whole career, highly doubt it will change anytime soon.
Imo it failed as many times as it worked. He went out in 5 out of 7 CL semis or something and his cautious approach was often a reason for that. I mean even with Inter he had the luck on his side that Pique's goal didn't count. It didn't work with us this year either, we were pretty shit in the big games.
I don't know what he want to achieve with tactics like the city game. You can only hope you get away with a 0-0 like we did, but you have no chance of winning and in most cases the high pressure and domination from the other team will kill you and you lose.
In his early days it was a better approach because he still tried to get to counterattacks and tried to score. But in recent years it's really only park the bus which is a bit pointless for me.
Of course we are talking here about a high level of criticism, but for me it's probably his biggest weakness.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't mind him doing this, Sir Alex adopted this too in the later years of his career.

It's sitting back at 1-0 against relegation fodder which irritates me. We should be going after more goals to finish them off, not tightening up at the back to protect ourselves from the might of Stewart Downing :rolleyes:
That too, I wanted to mention but didn't somehow.

lawliet354

Remember the game against Middlesbrough when we were leading 2-0 comfortably, and after we conceded we played 6 at the back, that was hard to watch :mad: