Jose saving his skin - yet again.. (Manager v Players blame game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
To be honest, I'm surprised by some reactions. We are Manchester United fans not fans of the players or the managers, these people will come and go while we will stay. Mourinho admitted that he can't get through the players mentally and tactically, that's basically the crux of his rant, people really need to think about what it means for a manager in general, that's the worst thing a manager can say about himself and his abilities.
This.

At the end of the day it's up to him to lead. If can't get the tune out his players for whatever reason-- it's time to go!

johanovic

Someone not following football looks at these threads, he'd be thinking we're fighting relegation battle. We've beaten every top team this season bar one above us with a game in hand against them. Chill out people, we're doing quite good!!
Why can a team like Bayern Munchen constantly win the german league and be in or near the CL finals working on a much smaller budget than us? I would argue that they spend their money more wisely, have a better structure in place and work much harder on the football aspect of the club while we seem to be more focused on the commercial side. The decline since 2011-13 is there for all to see and must be caused in a big way by the management of the club as a whole.

cyberman

Well I place us above them because we are 2nd in EPL and they are 5th in La Liga, because we have one of the most expensive squads in the world, and presumably one of the best managers around. Alsowe were favourites in that tie. Two seasons with Jose and we are still really really far from challenging for top honours. I dont believe that it takes 20 new players and 4 seasons to win the Prem. But I agree to disagree.
I'm not saying you are but a few posters are jumping from thread to thread altering the goalposts as they go.
If we are heavy favourites to beat the 5th best side in Spain then surely that's progress? But then they'll enter another thread telling us about how terrible we are going forward and how the league table is a lie in terms of us against Liverpool / Spurs.
If we are so bad going forward then why were we favoured v Sevilla? If we do need attacking coaches then why is a quarter final CL seen as the minimum?
The logic is skewed but maybe that's because there's so many threads framed a little differently discussing the same fecking thing.

Regalia

We don't have the God given right to play scintillating football - What does that even mean?
I don't know. You seem to think you're smart enough to manage our club. Why don't you figure it out? It's basic English, after all.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. If anything, it's worrying that the manager can't get the players to sing his tune. It's all well and good saying these players are terrible but you've been in charge for nearly two years and have been given shitloads to spend. Get on with the job instead of constantly moaning and making excuses.
I love the fact that he came out and said that he was training them for 3 days to move the ball quicker etc.

Well its either you've only started training them 3 days ago.

Or

You've been training them the whole fecking time and they still don't do what you want.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why can a team like Bayern Munchen constantly win the german league and be in or near the CL finals working on a much smaller budget than us? I would argue that they spend their money more wisely, have a better structure in place and work much harder on the football aspect of the club while we seem to be more focused on the commercial side. The decline since 2011-13 is there for all to see and must be caused in a big way by the management of the club as a whole.
They control the german market and they managed that by looking like the better organized club in Germany which attracts the best german players. On top of that they have enough money to compete with most clubs salary wise. The british market is a lot more broken, English players are not as good as their german equivalents and as a group they don't really have a favorite club to join.

Lentwood

And his best season was under... Mourinho. Or did we conveniently forget that?

He's been awful this season whenever he has played. I really like Herrera but misplacing every other pass is his fault.

Again, same goes for Pogba. His recent performances have nothing to do with the system, tactics or whatever other excuse you want to manufacture. This was the same Pogba who was heralded as our saviour for the first few months.

What we have is a lot of good players and quite a few promising youngster yet to show the ability to move up to the next level. I dont think Jose is working with duds, but a lot of them have shown to be very inconsistent no matter the manager. Theres a base there for Mourinho to work with - De Gea, Smalling, Matic, Lukaku, our best players this season. The rest need to step up.

On a side note, if our players showed the same passion and desire as Lukaku, I wonder whether we would still be in the CL.
I don’t think Jose is working with ‘duds’ but then again we are 2nd. I think that’s a fair return with the players/squad that we have

ash_86

Bayern gets dibs on every good German player they want from their league. Imagine if we could get Kane for pennies. That's whats happening in Bundesliga and hence they don't spend huge amount on players. Goretzka, Lewandowski, Hummels, Gotze, Neuer ect.. were all got for pennies from their opponent clubs. Manutd don't have this advantage as all the PL teams are loaded with cash. We need to pay extra to secure players as everyone knows we're stinking rich. On top of this, the mistakes we've committed since the appointment of Moyes followed by LVG and the players they have purchased has set us several years in decline.

Fully Fledged

Someone not following football looks at these threads, he'd be thinking we're fighting relegation battle. We've beaten every top team this season bar one above us with a game in hand against them. Chill out people, we're doing quite good!!
Tell this to Jose.
It's amazing. Last week anybody that moaned about the football would have been asked what's your problem we are second and in the quarters of the FA Cup. Now Jose has said the squad is not good enough and the people who were decrying people for moaning last week are now going on about how spineless the squad is. It's quite sad really.

Apparently now it just proves how exceptional Jose is because he can work wonders with a squad that he has only been able to spend a messily £300m on. I mean can you imagine where Spurs, Liverpool or Chelsea would be if they'd only had £300m to spend on players.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Mourinho - "if the clubs are in a better situation than us stop investing and we do invest, we can be side to side. If they keep investing the same or more than us, it’s difficult. It’s as simple as that. It’s difficult."

Yeah, really driven to see us overcome City, as can be seen from the above quote from just 2 days back.

What a fool Fergie was all those years ago saying he will knock Liverpool off the fecking perch. He didn't know that what Mou said is the correct way to show your commitment to becoming the best.
It is difficult, what's your point? Actions speak louder than words and he doesn't come across as someone who is content.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It's the style of football 90% of the people are complaining about. Why is that so hard to understand. There's no bloody joy there; both from the fans and, it seems, from the players. That's not to say I'm absolving the players of all blame and haven't got much of an issue with Jose coming out yesterday and having a go at them, but he's been here for 2 seasons now and we don't look like a "team". Not even close sometimes.

That's the issue. Not so much where we are in the league.

RedorDead21

It's the style of football 90% of the people are complaining about. Why is that so hard to understand. There's no bloody joy there; both from the fans and, it seems, from the players. That's not to say I'm absolving the players of all blame and haven't got much of an issue with Jose coming out yesterday and having a go at them, but he's been here for 2 seasons now and we don't look like a "team". Not even close sometimes.

Thats like buying a bungalow and complaining about the lack of stairs.....a bit dumb!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How precisely did he save his skin ? Was he going to get sacked if he didn't win yesterday ? What am I missing ?

ghagua

Agree with OP on everything. Disliked Mourinho when he was not United manager, dislike him even more now. We're just a cup team now if we are lucky, can see City dominate the league and with Liverpool's rapid improvement, 2nd place will be a battle from next season as well. Not sure what the rush was with offering him an extension on his contract. Going to be very expensive to get rid of him when we eventually do, assuming his clauses include qualifying for the champions league.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fair enough.
So Jose doesn't get a 3rd cause of bad football but the new one can afford to only challenge in the 3rd if he plays nice football?
On results, Jose deserved a third season IMO but due to the very acidic and combative nature of his man-management, we risk losing many players this summer (outside of the list of players who I would like to see go) and I don't trust in his ability to better what he has achieved this year, due to it already looking like he's lost the trust of much of the squad and the performances seem to be getting worse than better. Hence I think its an almighty risk to persist with him as the fall-out could be ten times worse than what we have already seen this week.

Results wise, you'd have to be a spoilt brat to complain. 2nd in the league etc is more than good enough for a second season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure if serious. The German league is a one horse race where one club has a strangle hold of siphoning away the best German talent from their competitors. Also, Bayern have the same record as us in the CL over the past decade (3 appearances, 1 win).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
How precisely did he save his skin ? Was he going to get sacked if he didn't win yesterday ? What am I missing ?
He is trying to protect his own reputation. Saying it is not his fault saying his players were not playing how he told him to play.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Not sure if serious. The German league is a one horse race where one club has a strangle hold of siphoning away the best German talent from their competitors. Also, Bayern have the same record as us in the CL over the past decade (3 appearances, 1 win).
He did say be near the final. And in the last five years or so their record of advancing to the further stages of the competition has been far superior to our own.

NK86

I don't know. You seem to think you're smart enough to manage our club. Why don't you figure it out? It's basic English, after all.
Are you fkng stupid? Where did I imply I was interested in running our club?

In terms of God given rights, playing good football is in our own hands. It's what the players practice and train for through the year. Or is that too much for you to comprehend?

NK86

It is difficult, what's your point? Actions speak louder than words and he doesn't come across as someone who is content.
He is already making excuses. His words don't show any conviction that he genuinely believes he can overtake City. All teams will spend. By his logic, we will never be able to overcome City unless they have a disaster.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Tell this to Jose.
It's amazing. Last week anybody that moaned about the football would have been asked what's your problem we are second and in the quarters of the FA Cup. Now Jose has said the squad is not good enough and the people who were decrying people for moaning last week are now going on about how spineless the squad is. It's quite sad really.

Apparently now it just proves how exceptional Jose is because he can work wonders with a squad that he has only been able to spend a messily £300m on. I mean can you imagine where Spurs, Liverpool or Chelsea would be if they'd only had £300m to spend on players.
Not what Jose said. Not sure who, on here, is saying that, too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He did say be near the final. And in the last five years or so their record of advancing to the further stages of the competition has been far superior to our own.
Yeah I saw that. As if there's a trophy for making the quarters or semis.

ghagua

People have been accusing our players of being mentally weak, that may be so, but how does it explain Mourinho's signings. One is already been shunted out of the club, while Pogba, Sanchez and Lindelof were doing a great job tearing apart Brighton yesterday. So how many more hundreds of millions do we give to Mourinho to buy such quality players so he can have them on the bench.

ash_86

Tell this to Jose.

Chelsea have spent close to 250M this season. Not like there woking on pennies. Spurs and Liverpool fans do not have the expectations of our fans. None of their teams are going to finish above us and still happy to keep their managers. Also none of their rivals are doing better than them and hence fans are contempt. I think City winning it in style is throwing us off this much. If City was in 2nd and we in 3rd or 4th , this would've not been such a talking point.

Everyone understands that. I would definitely want us playing better , Can't see Jose seeing otherwise too. The only reason i could think off is that we have players who are in different pages. 5 seasons of decline isn't something that can be taken so lightly. At this point where games are coming thick and fast, the only thing that matters are the results. We're getting most of the results right, means Jose is definitely doing something right. We need to give him at least a season more to see what he can do. Sacking him now after finishing second sets a bad precedence for any manager out there.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Truth of the matter is had Jose simply been doing a good job we wouldn't have such a divided fanbase like this with split opinions on him. I doubt you'd see our rivals fans split over opinions regarding their manager beside Arsenal and they're struggling.

When there is a split opinions among fans about their managers it usually means said manager isn't exactly doing a good job otherwise there wouldn't be any outrages from vast splits of fans in the first place.

And what normally happens is that the manager eventually get replaced and everyone move on or the board stick with such divisive figure and they see things turn for the worse, with the obvious example being Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.

I've seen it with Moyes and Van Gaal. We had these ridiculous arguments to justify why they're supposedly doing a good job and only players letting them down until reality finally dawn on even the most apologetic ones.

And most arguments being used now to justify Mourinho averageness are mostly a bunch of recycled ones used for both Moyes and Van Gaal, "players are shit", "we're miles behind x, y, z teams", "we need 6-7 players", "we need a clearout" etc have become all way too familiar but eventually the real issues get found out. Unfortunately we just even been able to find the right appointment to lead us and that's where I blame Woodwards(except for Moyes).

Same old recycled tripe from some people, just different days(different managers).

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Another pointless thread to vilify the Man Utd manager while pushing anti-Mourinho agenda (or pro-Guardiola ones). Arguments are also roundabout and nothing that has not been debated countless times before. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics and so on and so forth.

No manager will make it here when the fanbase is full of people thinking that 1 year is enough to produce Barca 2011 with this mess of a squad and mismanagement since SAF left. The whole club, board, manager, and players, need to step it up (IMO the players especially) and make changes over the rest of the season and pre-season 2018/19. We all realize that and hopefully they do too. Best not to forget that you're Man Utd supporters and not Mourinho-haters (or lovers) when you sit down and click that Post Reply button.

People chomping at the bit to point out every supposed misstep of Mourinho are just as bad as those blindly saying all is good. And honestly, these sort of threads only attract those very two extremes, reducing any semblance of discussion to more dick-waving and whinging than anything. Honestly, every thread, even ones about players devolve into this crap.

Get a grip people. We have no God-given right to win or play scintillating football. We work with what we have and improve what we have. So far, the past 2 years have been an upward trend in general and I'd wait till things are clearly going downhill (ala Moyes) before wanting everyone from the manager and the players out. You'll never build anything if you keep pulling the walls down every 2 years. (But can we pretty please buy some new fullbacks, thanks)
I generally agree.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
There isn't a trophy but clearly we need to be playing considerably better to even reach the stages that Bayern have been managing these last few seasons.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Some of Jose defenders :lol: Must be paid to write this genius stuff.
Why? Because players who earn 100k per week can't stand the pressure? Is his fault that shaw is overweight? Is his fault that some players don't show desire?
This jose hate is too much these days

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Why? Because players who earn 100k per week can't stand the pressure? Is his fault that shaw is overweight? Is his fault that some players don't show desire?
This jose hate is too much these days
Those would fall under manager's responsibilities.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
There isn't a trophy but clearly we need to be playing considerably better to even reach the stages that Bayern have been managing these last few seasons.
And I have a feeling Bayern are going to muster more than 1 goal and 4 shots on target against Sevilla.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And yet their results are no better than ours over the past decade. 1 win 2 losses.

johanovic

Constantly being in the best final 4 to 8 teams in the CL year after year must say something about the strenght of that team. And they do that in style by playing attacking football every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.