Jose wants to return

Red Star One

The fact people aren't against this :lol:
I mean honest answer is he should be nowhere near an ambitious club and he’s well past it, his disrespectful comments against the club also rule him out of the future role here. I doubt there’s any chance he returns and anyone seriously would take him.

support for Jose is nothing more than a protest vote and hope for stricter regime and punishment for players we find lazy or unimpressive

redshaw

If ETH is getting sacked soon then he could come in until the end of the season. We'd park the bus instead having the bus driven through us with no end product at least.

He has a bigger persona to handle the job again but I'd expect the new management to be looking at the type of football and his handling of his last year here and not go anywhere near him. For me he threw the towel in that summer over transfers like he did with Roman and disrespected the club.

His Sanchez thing didn't work, he expected Pogba to mature into some other player and carry the midfield. We can't spend big to satisfy him or recycle his choices, probably wouldn't be happy with less say on transfers.

Last edited:

SER19

I dont want Mourinho back, but with enough time for emotions to cool down, looking at his United record:

His first season was reasonably good. The 2 trophies felt like a good springboard and made up for a poor league finish as we got CL return.

His second season was better, 25 wins in the league and a second season where we defended well. Finished a worthy second on 81 points which seems ridiculously implausible for us now.

In these 2 seasons, over 76 league games, we only scored 122 goals, and conceded 57. So attack wasn't great despite Ibrahimovic scoring plenty and defence was solid enough.

In Europe, he won the europa, then cruised through CL group only to lose to sevilla after an away draw. That was a bad blow. In his last season we were second in a tricky group and he was gone by the time last 16 game. So a fair performance in europe compared to what went before and after. 'Eritage.

We competed reasonably well against the big teams, not amazing, but decent.

Recruitment wise I would say, fees considered, Dalot, Lindelof, Ibrahimovic, Matic and Fred were all decent or better. Fred arguably too much but played over 200 games and still got a fee on departure. I think he laboured next to McTominay for far too long and was probably a better player than his spell here showed.

Pogba, Sanchez, Bailly, Mkhitaryan and Lukaku were in my opinion failings. You can understand pogba and lukaku though- both had pedigree and again, lukaku fee was almost recouped so recruitment wise overall, mourinho wasnt that bad.

I would say in summary he should have been backed more than fred and dalot at the start of his final season. Its commonly said now that he wanted rid of martial which looks crazy now that we didnt do it.

In terms of youth, it wasn't great and with mata, sanchez, jones, rojo, fellaini, carrick and valencia all being phased out during his spell, he probably could have looked to the academy more, but maybe that wasnt his failing? Were we producing enough quality? By the time he finished the squad was a bit imbalanced.

Lastly, the style never quite clicked. I think fans would have accepted a less aesthetic style if it came in the form of a really imposing, athletic and dominant physical team. But we looked meek and defensive rather than an Italian style relish of defence and allowing some attackers to turn a game.

His last season I regret looking back. We're doing worse now than we were when he left and certainly his departure now seemed like yielding to a weak mentality that has persisted since. Rashford, Martial remain stinking the place out. Pogba and Lingard are well gone and we're better for it. I wonder if he'd been given some slack in January might we have ground something more from it, but probably not.

In Sumamry, he was nowhere near as bad as some suggest, but also didn't do enough to warrant anybody wanting him back.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I mean, no.

But...what if??

No no not again.

But should we??!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I actually think I’d stop supporting the club if that toxic cnut came back.

thankfully it’s very, very unlikely to actually happen.

always_hoping

Just checked the date to make sure it's not April 1st. UK journalists are the worst of the worst.

madzo2007

He had his chance and turned the place toxic when he didn't get what he wanted

Remember we have barely any cash, Jose would want some of his style of players we probably couldn't give him that.

Rojofiam

Of course I can deny it. I just didn't want to piss away time doing it, but for you I'll make an exception:

The factors you are talking about are intangible. The hard facts are that Mourinho had a better PPG average than Solskjaer, as well as actually winning trophies. Despite @Pogue Mahone doesn't approving of said trophies :smirk:
So your argument against everything I've stated is 1.97 vs 1.84 PPG? So José was better, because on average he would get 75 points a season, and Ole would only get 70? That's not how you argue using stats, especially that these statistics need more context and two full seasons each isn't really a huge sample size.

DanielofLeyland

He's a washed up has-been with a miserable attitude that affects his players.

Went from a Champions League winning manager, to a Europa League winning manager to a Conference League winner. Been on the wane for a long time now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm no Jose fan but with proper backing he still can do it. But I don't want him at United though.

Imagine the new CEO presenting Jose as the man to take us back to top ?
I see him as the kind of manager who could still take a mid table side and get them to punch above their collective weight en route to an improbable cup win. Beyond that, I don't see Jose as being the same manager as he was during his Porto, Chelsea, and Inter days.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A complete wanker to complete the team full of ones.

This would be so much fun. If you are Liverpool, Chelsea or City fan.

pacifictheme

Our best manager post Ferguson but no, not the right fit and never was.

Shows how bad our manager choices have been but I don't think the new owners would be that stupid.

caid

It'd be a dumb idea even if it was peak Mourinho we were talking about.
We've spent the past 18 months + building a team thats the complete antithesis of a Mourinho team. I dont think a single player who's performing would make it in a mourinho side. Bruno would be too light weight for midfield, martinez might get played at full back but he wouldn't get within a mile of centre back. Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund wouldn't play if he could avoid it and if he couldn't avoid it he'd bitch and moan about not being supported.

RedRocket9908

I'm no Jose fan but with proper backing he still can do it. But I don't want him at United though.
This is why I say Newcastle should snap him up, with the right backing he'll probably build a squad that can challenge for the title and if City get relegated they might even manage to win it.

Zed is not dead

In terms of football it wasn’t utterly bad or utterly good. I can’t deny he usually gets results and knows how to fire up a team. But his attitude was hugely problematic

He created a miserable atmosphere around the club. The end of his tenure is the only time where I wouldn’t watch a United game on purpose

Rojofiam

Trophies are only for egos, don't you know?
No point in "pissing away time" by arguing with someone that uses a one-off final against Leicester, and 2 piss easy cup competition runs as a measure of progress, because the truth is that our 2020/21 side is easily the strongest side we've had since Ferguson left.

tomaldinho1

Tell me where I'm wrong
I found it funny how on something that is completely subjective you don’t believe your opinion can be argued against. I’ll take a stab at it.

Ole built the best squad, by far. Factually incorrect if we go off how teams post SAF did. Mou would be No1.

We played the best football under him, by far. Completely subjective. If you like the counter attacking style, Mou has a bette record than him, if you don’t like that style he’s likely bottom.

The drop off after him was the biggest one, by far. He was part of the drop off.

He was the best at man-management, by far. Again, subjective and how does anyone know but I’d say his pandering to players has had a big role in the shit storm of egos and laziness managers after him have walked into.

The general atmosphere around the club was the best during his tenure, by far. Early on yes, maybe you didn’t watch the latter days of Ole. United cemented as a meme club by the media and getting stuffed at home to Pool really happened.

el3mel

No point in "pissing away time" by arguing with someone that uses a one-off final against Leicester, and 2 piss easy cup competition runs as a measure of progress, because the truth is that our 2020/21 side is easily the strongest side we've had since Ferguson left.
This side won the square root of feck all. Not even a League Cup under their name.