Jose's interview - "Wish to sign 2 more players"

Shaun Oldman

Dembele is (thfc) ideal for us, gettable and the sort of signing that happens all the time on the continent between big clubs.

Not as good as Pirlo, but a similar situation.

Brilliant player, 25m would get it done, which would on its own give us as much more fluent football. A lot of money but in this day and age 12.5m per year for a top player isn't outrageous.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I agree. You would think that we were struggling for relegation last season. People want too many players in and out everytime. Pretty sure this delusion comes from FM.

And for some reason, buying anyone older than 26-27 is apparently the worst thing to happen ever. Again, reeks of FM mentality.
The age thing makes sense. You can't have a settled squad if you are replacing half of it every 3/4 years.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I feel sorry for some of the other halves on here. Make up your minds some of you.

• Luke Shaw needs to play more games
  • We need a marquee signing like Sanchez
  • Mourinho hasn't a clue, we need bakayoko over old man matic he's the future
  • Fosu mensah needs to be given a chance at right back, Valencia is past it
  • Joel Peireira needs a loan move
  • Martial's career is being ruined on the left
  • We need Alex Sandro at all costs, Shaw can't be trusted and young is 85
  • Never should have bought Sanchez, he's taking all of martial's playing time
  • Bakayoko is meme worthily bad (is worthily a word?) So let's pretend we never wanted him
  • Can't believe he's going into a new season with only TFM, Valencia and some new lad at right back
  • We've signed a 46 year old from stoke so that our young keeper can play some football club is a shambles
  • God damn it Sanchez you're killing the greatest left winger we've ever seen.
My point is we've all wanted a fabinho or a Douglas Costa, even a kerlon, Freddy adu or Ricky van wolfswinkel.
You can't sign everyone and some end up being fairly good but more of the 8,000 players we are linked with have turned out to be dross.
Have to trust that the lads the club pays to scout footballers and work on deals know more about these things than us.

So I hope nobody in here ends up crying and punching their pillow on the couch on August 9th
Have a little faith
Also can't forget everybody wanting us to spend £100m on Andrea Belotti last summer.

Borden

You okay man?

If you haven't read any of the things I mentioned above I don't think you're reading the forum right, best with the old negativity blinkers off.

This is my last allowed post of the day and I wanted to use it to congratulate you for dissecting my post to perfection.

It was a ploy to appeal to the Everyman and make some friends in a new environment, before ultimatly shutting everyone up on my first day at camp.

Sadly I've been rumbled on the somewhat oxymoronic grounds of both a lack of evidence and stating the obvious.
Three more swings at it tomorrow I guess, I'll get up nice and early.
I have, but you've provided no evidence that the contradictory ones are written by the same posters, or that this applies to a significant portion of the forum. So what's your point exactly? That the caf contains lots of different opinions? That opinions can change? That people can be hypocrites? I think we knew all that. That's why I called it a silly post.

No need, sleep in and take comfort in the fact that there are some here who think you "destroyed half the forum" with your post.

Last edited:

Sampy93

Unfortunately he said in the interview (going by what I've read on here) that he isn't in the market for a fullback.
Nah just said he’s hoping to get 2 players. Everyone’s connecting the dots and thinking it’s CB and RW.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
There seem to be people hinting that Dalot will be a starter either at LB or RB. Jose rates him highly and so he should because he is the best young RB in world football or at least touted as that. … .
Really? I'd be surprised if any but a small minority of posters had even heard of him before he signed for United.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Obviously, I was not talking about posters because there almost always wrong. I was talking about actual football experts and scouts.

Now what?
Now you wait and see if these football experts and scouts are right.

Jonno

Wow why all the Ashley Young hate?

Take into consideration that if we upgrade Young, we probably don't upgrade in more important areas. It's probably the same posters that have gone into depression since Fellaini extended his contract. the FM / FIFA generation I bet. I bet you all kicked off when Scholes signed an extension at 35 too.

Forget the fact he played solidly for United for the final couple of months when United beat every side in the top 7. Forget when he had Salah in his pocket when Liverpool flopped at Old Trafford, despite every Anti-Mourinho fan on Redcafe telling us that Salah was going to rip him a new one and Liverpool were going to 'batter us' and finish 2nd. Forget the fact he put in a good performance in this world cup all the way up to the semi-final.

He used to be a winger, he is over 30, he didn't cost 80 million, a bird shat in his mouth once, so it must be a disaster if he is our first choice for 1 more season.......

This place is a shambles sometimes.

WildAtHeart

Nah just said he’s hoping to get 2 players. Everyone’s connecting the dots and thinking it’s CB and RW.
He was asked in the interview (talking on the back of Valencia's injury and that he'll most likely be rested now until the start of the season) whether full back is now a position that he wants to strengthen and he said no.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...that the contradictory ones are written by the same posters, or that this applies to a significant portion of the forum.
They probably aren't - and it certainly doesn't.

Always good for a strawman, though, this generic Caf poster - who's a bit thick and changes his mind every five minutes.

ti vu

Have a feeling that this window will see a lot of late moves and we'll be missing out on them.

The prices have gone stupid and no one wants to pay what they're being quoted, come deadline day in Europe, most teams are going to be stuck with players they want to offload to balance the books and we'll not be able to shop in that 'everything must go' market. Seem's utterly bizarre to close early if you ask me.
What worse is the reason behind this. They said they do it so PL teams can focus for the games. As if that stops European clubs from unsettling players in England. English clubs may be able to keep the players for the season, but there would be no stopping cases like Mahrez & Coutinho were given time away from the team wouldn't be prevented. Only harm's done. English FA never stops to amaze me with their dumb policy which more often than not harming English clubs.

CM

Really? I'd be surprised if any but a small minority of posters had even heard of him before he signed for United.
He is rated so by Jose Mourinho, and there are plenty on here who see the world through his eyes only.

Sampy93

Hope it means Sanchez on the right and that we buy Sandro then...
After seeing Pogba do so well in a midfield 2 over the summer I’m hoping we revert back to a 4231 where you have martial, Sanchez and Rashford/Lingard interchanging. We’d only need a LB (if not shaw hopefully performing) and a CB.

yo@Kirk

With just 2 weeks to get business done, I'd be be happy with Alex Telles and Hirving Lozano for 80m in fees.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
After seeing Pogba do so well in a midfield 2 over the summer I’m hoping we revert back to a 4231 where you have martial, Sanchez and Rashford/Lingard interchanging. We’d only need a LB (if not shaw hopefully performing) and a CB.
By the looks of it, Martial will leave, so we could do with a addition for either of the wings if he does go. Other than that I really only feel that a LB is must. Not doing anything about the left-back situation with Shaw/Rojo as our "backup" is more infuriating than having Young as the main man for me. Would love a quality CB & RW as well of course, but I'm starting to believe the club isn't giving the funds needed for the quality needed, after all we don't need squad-filler quality, we need definite first-team quality and those cost.

beingshe7don

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of Martial but Martial seems to have lost his passion to play for United or maybe he's lost his passion to play under Mourinho. Mourinho is turning out to be one toxic creature in the dressing room that will drive our best players away (aka Pogba and Martial)

If Mourinho is to remain, we might as well get rid of Martial and sell him to Bayern and get Thiago and Coman in return or something. If there's a chance to get Pulisic... wouldn't' mind getting him instead.

VanGaalyTime

By the looks of it, Martial will leave, so we could do with a addition for either of the wings if he does go. Other than that I really only feel that a LB is must. Not doing anything about the left-back situation with Shaw/Rojo as our "backup" is more infuriating than having Young as the main man for me. Would love a quality CB & RW as well of course, but I'm starting to believe the club isn't giving the funds needed for the quality needed, after all we don't need squad-filler quality, we need definite first-team quality and those cost.
If Martial leaves United better have a Neymar or Messi level player lined up. Taking a step back now after the lack of investment woukw be shocking.

Flytan

I think Martial is so disenfranchised with United right now he has to leave. Slap him off to Italy, Germany, or Spain. Add a RW regardless of the price with his money + whatever else it takes. Enter the season. Getting another average/above average CB does nothing. Would rather just sign a LB and/or just wait until next year when there may be better options on them.

This summer has been nothing less than a disaster and as far as I believe I think Pogba wants out. He hasn't said much about looking forward to the season or anything. Honestly something is going to break this season and it's either Mourinho or Woodward. Mourinho wants ready-made-almost-past-prime players so he can challenge now (which are expensive players) versus future players who may take a year or two to reach/surpass his targets. Honestly I don't even know where to side because I think we have a fair amount of youth already and I'm so fecking depressed about this window I'd take anything.

trafford1980

I feel sorry for some of the other halves on here. Make up your minds some of you.

• Luke Shaw needs to play more games
  • We need a marquee signing like Sanchez
  • Mourinho hasn't a clue, we need bakayoko over old man matic he's the future
  • Fosu mensah needs to be given a chance at right back, Valencia is past it
  • Joel Peireira needs a loan move
  • Martial's career is being ruined on the left
  • We need Alex Sandro at all costs, Shaw can't be trusted and young is 85
  • Never should have bought Sanchez, he's taking all of martial's playing time
  • Bakayoko is meme worthily bad (is worthily a word?) So let's pretend we never wanted him
  • Can't believe he's going into a new season with only TFM, Valencia and some new lad at right back
  • We've signed a 46 year old from stoke so that our young keeper can play some football club is a shambles
  • God damn it Sanchez you're killing the greatest left winger we've ever seen.
My point is we've all wanted a fabinho or a Douglas Costa, even a kerlon, Freddy adu or Ricky van wolfswinkel.
You can't sign everyone and some end up being fairly good but more of the 8,000 players we are linked with have turned out to be dross.
Have to trust that the lads the club pays to scout footballers and work on deals know more about these things than us.

So I hope nobody in here ends up crying and punching their pillow on the couch on August 9th
Have a little faith
Certainly agree with the bolded part mate.

You'll probably get accussed of strawmanning though, as the posters who shared your listed 2017 views are just as likely different people to those who hold your 2018 statements to be true.

And in a few instances, 12 months is sufficient timeframe to reach an opposing conclusion (opinion.)

For example: Luke Shaw needs to play more games > Plays 20 or so times in 2017/2018 = We need Alex Sandro (I don't agree with this but I can see how some might) as Shaw hasn't impressed and Young is a year older.

In other instances, players aren't used in the way posters assumed/visualised we were purchasing them to play in. Example, We need a marquee signing like Sanchez > Sanchez joins in January and predominantly plays on left instead of and not left or centrally to Anthony Martial = Never should have bought Sanchez, he's taking all of Martial's playing time.

Again, I agree with the gist of your post, but am also guilty of changing my view season-to-season. (This just merely mirrors the yo-yo output of our Club since Fergie left.) A season is a long time, it's like dog years, nothing wrong in abandoning a proven-to-be-wrong thought.

NK86

To be honest bit worried that we are going into a season with Young and Valencia as first choice fullbacks. But if it was a choice between LB or RW then i'm glad we are going for a winger, as it is and has been a glaring hole in the side for years now.
We could sign a LB but Mourinho wants another CB for some reason.

SBD

Why aren't we trying to offload players like Rojo, Jones, and Darmian first?

And I find it rather odd that Jose is prioritizing a new CB over fullbacks. Valencia was so horrible going forward last season that I think if we aren't signing anyone new, we should really put our faith in Dalot.

SpyLuke10

Darmian is going, the player wants to leave and the club seems down with the idea. Only a matter of time.

If we can get say Maguire and Perisic I'd be quite happy with that. Bale seems like its worth a try but knowing Real Madrid they'll want 150M for him. No thankyou if thats the case.

SpyLuke10

In terms of who to sell, the only players I want us to sell are Darmian and Jones. Also, give Herrera a new contract!

SpyLuke10

I don't mind our right back situation with Valencia and Dalot either. I think its decent enough. Left back is the position where I am very concerned. This season is THE season for Luke Shaw. If Young is still starting by January at left back then we won't win the league. This is the year where Shaw either becomes a regular or fecks off at the end of the season. I hope he get impress Jose and the fans.

If we manage to sign a centre back and right winger and sell Darmian. Then the only hole in the squad really is left back imo. Some will say central midfield but with Fellaini hanging around who can do a pretty good job for us as 5th choice in that position (imo), as well as Andreas Pereira who I think is good enough to start getting some games with us now, I think we are fine for midfield.

In summary, if we manage to get 2 players, presumably a centre back like Alderweireld or Maguire and a winger like Perisic or Bale, then left back will be the position to watch for this year. Luke Shaw will be key for this season, in either a good way or a bad way, succeed and we probably don't need a left back. Fail and the team almost certainly ultimately fails to win the league or CL.

kthanksbye

Wow why all the Ashley Young hate?

Take into consideration that if we upgrade Young, we probably don't upgrade in more important areas. It's probably the same posters that have gone into depression since Fellaini extended his contract. the FM / FIFA generation I bet. I bet you all kicked off when Scholes signed an extension at 35 too.

Forget the fact he played solidly for United for the final couple of months when United beat every side in the top 7. Forget when he had Salah in his pocket when Liverpool flopped at Old Trafford, despite every Anti-Mourinho fan on Redcafe telling us that Salah was going to rip him a new one and Liverpool were going to 'batter us' and finish 2nd. Forget the fact he put in a good performance in this world cup all the way up to the semi-final.

He used to be a winger, he is over 30, he didn't cost 80 million, a bird shat in his mouth once, so it must be a disaster if he is our first choice for 1 more season.......

This place is a shambles sometimes.
You make a valid point, but the bold part, please don't.
Scholes even today would still be twice the player Fellaini can be on his best day.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Dembele is (thfc) ideal for us, gettable and the sort of signing that happens all the time on the continent between big clubs.

Not as good as Pirlo, but a similar situation.

Brilliant player, 25m would get it done, which would on its own give us as much more fluent football. A lot of money but in this day and age 12.5m per year for a top player isn't outrageous.
we won't add any more CM since we've extended beanpole's contract

BarstoolProphet

Maybe once you become one of the most successful managers in the world, and have an intimate working knowledge of a group of players, you’ll know.

Should someone like Paul Pogba seriously have to be motivated by his manager?
Ah, the classical "you think you know better than a successful manager" argument has entered the José discussion again. Typical of when you run out of other things to defend him with.

Why should any players or workers be motivated by their manager/boss at all? After all, we're machines.

stevoc

We could sign a LB but Mourinho wants another CB for some reason.
True i don't understand that one myself. Sure none of our centrebacks are world beaters, but the position is healthier than fullback in terms of numbers, talent, and age profile.

Mister_Stubbs

I'm sure he wants both, but he'll be aware that the club doesn't have the money for it.
We’re meant to be the “biggest and richest” club in the world. We have the money, don’t worry about that. We just don’t have a manager smart enough to see the problems we have.

Lookatu

Certainly agree with the bolded part mate.

You'll probably get accussed of strawmanning though, as the posters who shared your listed 2017 views are just as likely different people to those who hold your 2018 statements to be true.

And in a few instances, 12 months is sufficient timeframe to reach an opposing conclusion (opinion.)

For example: Luke Shaw needs to play more games > Plays 20 or so times in 2017/2018 = We need Alex Sandro (I don't agree with this but I can see how some might) as Shaw hasn't impressed and Young is a year older.

In other instances, players aren't used in the way posters assumed/visualised we were purchasing them to play in. Example, We need a marquee signing like Sanchez > Sanchez joins in January and predominantly plays on left instead of and not left or centrally to Anthony Martial = Never should have bought Sanchez, he's taking all of Martial's playing time.

Again, I agree with the gist of your post, but am also guilty of changing my view season-to-season. (This just merely mirrors the yo-yo output of our Club since Fergie left.) A season is a long time, it's like dog years, nothing wrong in abandoning a proven-to-be-wrong thought.
Certainly by a couple anyway mate but generally I think people got the gist of what I meant and I'm happy enough to only have been slaughtered the once for it.

Getting your point accross isn't as easy when you can't shout it across a boozer really, it's a learning curve :lol:

Appreciate the measured response though

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
I think Martial is so disenfranchised with United right now he has to leave.
I never knew United were a democracy (you want to say "disenchanted").

With just 2 weeks to get business done, I'd be be happy with Alex Telles and Hirving Lozano for 80m in fees.
Eurgh, Lozano is barely even on a par with Mata, Rashford, Martial and Sanchez. He would add absolutely nothing. Plus, he is more effective on the left.