g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose's notes on Barcelona 2006

Interesting reading though you'd expect that level of depth.

Puyol is a good one, he's now thought of as one of the world's best but he definitely did have a bit of David Luiz in him.

They seemed relatively unconcerned with Messi and Ronaldinho, Messi was so young back then but I'm surprised they didn't focus more on Ronaldinho's ability.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Too much information. The average player will not remember that much.
It is not meant for players - it is meant for the manager who will ideally summarize the ideas into action points that players (yes even average ones) can understand and execute.

Hughes35

I don't think there is anything in that report that most people at home couldn't write without even doing research is there?

Siorac

I don't think there is anything in that report that most people at home couldn't write without even doing research is there?
It's a lot more detailed than what an average football fan would come up with.

UnitedWeStandOne

Let's assume the Chelsea players had 3-4 days of preparation before that match (typically: a PL match on Saturday, the Barca game on Wednesday).

I think an interesting question is, was the Chelsea players, in those split of second where a decision were required to be made, able to actually follow that? I don't mind if they read the notes themselves or got them explained by a coach.

I get the idea of highlighting the most important factors against an opposition, but details at such a level? I would be very surprised if any player were to prioritise those specific tactics, over their respective "natural instinct" that they have built up during their careers: "if this happens, ok then i do this".

In those matches, you must react immediately for 90+ minutes.

I guess the only way to prove my point right/wrong would be to study those tactics closely, and re-watch the match a couple of times. I am way to lazy too ever consider such.

Last edited:

Hughes35

It's a lot more detailed than what an average football fan would come up with.
I don't really think it is. Barcelona dive, Messi is good, Puyol is emotional, They press high and push the full backs on. Apart from mapping out their structure for free kicks and corners I really don't see too much in this.

I guess maybe I'm being harsh, It would probably be useful against a lesser known opposition with players that everybody isn't already familiar with. I'd be interested to see the same report on a lower league team for a cup game to see if it's the same.

Saffron

I don't really think it is. Barcelona dive, Messi is good, Puyol is emotional, They press high and push the full backs on. Apart from mapping out their structure for free kicks and corners I really don't see too much in this.

I guess maybe I'm being harsh, It would probably be useful against a lesser known opposition with players that everybody isn't already familiar with. I'd be interested to see the same report on a lower league team for a cup game to see if it's the same.
There was some interesting info about Oleguer in there. And all those things are a bit more apparent now with 13 years of hindsight. Much harder to be so spot on in 2006.

In fact I was almost expecting something in the report to be comically wrong with hindsight. But there isn’t anything. The fact that you go ”well obviously” when you read it is a testament to how good it is.

Grande

If that’s your summary to prove how fans are as nuanced as AVB and co, it’s more of a demonstration of his point than an argument against it.

There are two points of relevance: 1) The analysis is fairly detailed and pointing towards particular tactics for Chelsea to use. 2) The analysis is well grounded and correct.

Point 2) is not least important, as before every game, you’ll find someone on the caf predicting the crucial tactics or weaknesses of the opponent correctly, and ten times as many predicting inconsequencial ones. Like clocks being right twice a day.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Let's assume the Chelsea players had 3-4 days of preparation before that match (typically: a PL match on Saturday, the Barca game on Wednesday).

I think an interesting question is, was the Chelsea players, in those split of second where a decision were required to be made, able to actually follow that? I don't mind if they read the notes themselves or got them explained by a coach.

I get the idea of highlighting the most important factors against an opposition, but details at such a level? I would be very surprised if any player were to prioritise those specific tactics, over their respective "natural instinct" that they have built up during their careers: "if this happens, ok then i do this".

In those matches, you must react immediately for 90+ minutes.

I guess the only way to prove my point right/wrong would be to study those tactics closely, and re-watch the match a couple of times. I am way to lazy too ever consider such.
This implies that the impact a coach can have is heavily impacted, almost limited, by a players natural instinct.
I'm sure any manager would say that's pretty much nonsense.

spiriticon

I thought Bielsa's spygate conference notes were more impressive tbh...

But I do wonder... Is it physically possible to produce a dossier like this every week or even every 3 days if you are in the CL too?

It does seem like it requires months of research and writing.

UnitedWeStandOne

This implies that the impact a coach can have is heavily impacted, almost limited, by a players natural instinct.
I'm sure any manager would say that's pretty much nonsense.
You are right. I should have rephrased to that my hypothesis is that a player is available for a couple of game-specific tactics, but not on that detailed level. That was the point I was trying to make.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The foul on Messi was atrocious. How did he not expect to get sent off?

I thought Bielsa's spygate conference notes were more impressive tbh...

But I do wonder... Is it physically possible to produce a dossier like this every week or even every 3 days if you are in the CL too?

It does seem like it requires months of research and writing.
To be fair once you've got a seasons worth you don't need to do much, just a cursory update before each game and research on any new players.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
You are right. I should have rephrased to that my hypothesis is that a player is available for a couple of game-specific tactics, but not on that detailed level. That was the point I was trying to make.
Yeah I get that, however the coaches job is to make it more manageable for the players. Boil it down to 3 or 4 key actions.

Saffron

Imagine how Oleguer feels now, getting absolutely destroyed in that report for the whole world to see. There was even a part where it said he had a ”poor notion of time and space” :(

3KDré

He was at the time if I'm misremembering? It was a while later that I saw his right worked.
No, he was so good with his left that he was forced to use his right foot at youth level to give him a disadvantage. When he first appeared on football manager it was with a right foot.

Trizy

Basically told to kick Messi as he’s just come back from an injury. Michael Owen eat your heart out
And? If we'd a chance of having a Messi-less Barcelona I'd take it all day regardless of how it came about.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Top tier players are capable of absorbing and utilizing a lot of detailed information.

You think that this dossier is too much to absorb? Go look at the average NFL playbook a quarterback is expected to digest and understand inside out.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Imagine how Oleguer feels now, getting absolutely destroyed in that report for the whole world to see. There was even a part where it said he had a ”poor notion of time and space” :(
I would like to see Barcelonas manager assement of our team.

Phil Jones - Tackles with his head, prone to errors, makes funny faces, always gets injured.

Paul Pogba- World class scorer and creator, very inconsistent, does a cringe worthy penalty run up.

Ashley Young - Ashley Young

Lukkaku - Big Strong, can't control a football to save his life, no technical ability.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Amazing is pushing it. At this level and for the amount of money being payed, you expect this level of minutiae.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Too much information. The average player will not remember that much.
At first I thought the same.

But then I realized that's maybe not information for the player but for the staff of coaches made in great detail by the scouting team.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I would like to see Barcelonas manager assement of our team.

Phil Jones - Tackles with his head, prone to errors, makes funny faces, always gets injured.

Paul Pogba- World class scorer and creator, very inconsistent, does a cringe worthy penalty run up.

Ashley Young - Ashley Young

Lukkaku - Big Strong, can't control a football to save his life, no technical ability.

This ain't Nov-Dec 2018 anymore. Things have changed. Barcelona will be found out if they underrate Ole's Utd.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Top tier players are capable of absorbing and utilizing a lot of detailed information.

You think that this dossier is too much to absorb? Go look at the average NFL playbook a quarterback is expected to digest and understand inside out.
This info isn't for them. It's for Jose to read and coach the team based on it.