Josh King

Robbie Boy

He has really developed into a good player this season and he's up to 16 PL goals for the season which is extremely impressive given that most seem to come over the past 3 months or so. He's on a hot streak at the moment and Spurs were linked the other day. Always nice to see an ex-academy player doing well. I have to say, I always thought he looked useless in front of goal, but he seems to have drastically improved his finishing as-of-late.

Robertd0803

He certainly does look more clinical lately. Or maybe because we have missed a stupid amount of chances this season that anyone who scores I automatically class as clinical.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's been in great form since January, hope it can continue for him into next season.

izec

Well done to him. I dont know if that is only this season or if he performs well in the games, since i cant remember how he did against us, thats the only 2 Bournemouth games i watch.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Most league goals in 2017:
14 - Lukaku, Kane
13 - King

Both at Blackburn and last season at Bournemouth he was being wasted out wide and not given a proper chance centrally. Finally been given a prolonged run through the middle and now he's reaping the rewards.

Been linked with Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool. Hopefully he stays clear of the latter as he would fit right in their fluent system and it would be a travesty watching an academy product leading the line for the dippers.

Robbie Boy

Most league goals in 2017:
14 - Lukaku, Kane
13 - King

Both at Blackburn and last season at Bournemouth he was being wasted out wide and not given a proper chance centrally. Finally been given a prolonged run through the middle and now he's reaping the rewards.

Been linked with Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool. Hopefully he stays clear of the latter as he would fit right in their fluent system and it would be a travesty watching an academy product leading the line for the dippers.
He's on a good run but a move to Liverpool or Spurs would be bad for him, imo. If he moves, he needs to go somewhere where he'll be a starter.

Samid

He's on a good run but a move to Liverpool or Spurs would be bad for him, imo. If he moves, he needs to go somewhere where he'll be a starter.
What is a step up from Bournemouth (10th) where he'll also be a nailed starter? Everton if Lukaku leaves is the only option but I think they'll rather want to spend the money on a glamour signing. Leicester is another but then again he might as well stay another year because I'm not sure Leicester is that big of a step up.

Nanook

What is a step up from Bournemouth (10th) where he'll also be a nailed starter? Everton if Lukaku leaves is the only option but I think they'll rather want to spend the money on a glamour signing. Leicester is another but then again he might as well stay another year because I'm not sure Leicester is that big of a step up.
Newcastle or West Ham.

Robbie Boy

Personally, I think he should stick around for another season and see if he can continue his good form into next season, and then make a move if he has another successful campaign.

Smores

What makes you say he wouldn't be a starter for the dippers? Hardly have a great range of options

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Personally, I think he should stick around for another season and see if he can continue his good form into next season, and then make a move if he has another successful campaign.
Yeah I agree with this, he's playing really well and looks a fine player, but I think another season like this one is needed before making a step up.

Robbie Boy

What makes you say he wouldn't be a starter for the dippers? Hardly have a great range of options
If they secure CL qualification, I would imagine they'll be making a few signings. I mean King is on form, but so far, it's only a good run.

Robbie Boy

Doesn't his form in front of goal correlate with him being used as a striker now? Think he played out wide previously.
Pretty sure he previously played out wide with Wilson up top. His finishing has massively improved this season.

Samid

Newcastle or West Ham.
West Ham is a no-go imo. Underwhelming season and signings, and uncertainty around the manager. Newcastle is obviously a step up (as Matt Ritchie proved last summer) but they've got a bucketload of strikers.

Blind

West Ham is a no-go imo. Underwhelming season and signings, and uncertainty around the manager. Newcastle is obviously a step up (as Matt Ritchie proved last summer) but they've got a bucketload of strikers.
It's only a step up in stature, he'd be mad to trade the stability of Bournemouth for a club that can very quickly descend into farce and where he's not guaranteed to be the main striker.

Robbie Boy

Well I have kind of got the impression on this forum, that players are mostly deemed good enough for us only if they gain a certain level of notoriety.
I think the majority think we have enough 'squad' players and are looking for players that'll improve the first team.

Last edited:

Samid

While teams have been drooling over Callum '£75m asking price' Wilson, they have missed a trick not enquiring for King. Not only would he have been a lot cheaper but he is also homegrown and a lot less injury prone than Wilson. Scored 30 league goals since the start of 2017 which is quite sensational, especially considering that he drops deeper as a #10 whenever Wilson is starting with him. Whenever the latter is injured, King plays as the #9 and bangs in the goals.

The likes of Chelsea should have been in for him as soon as they realised that Wilson was unrealistic.

AgentP

On his day, he is devastating. Ole might keep an eye on him considering he's Norwegian.

Samid

On his day, he is devastating. Ole might keep an eye on him considering he's Norwegian.
I think in the Fergie days when he loved having four proven strikers in the squad we certainly would have gone for King.

Although I wouldn't mind if we got say £65m for Lukaku and spent £30m on King. Rashford, King and Greenwood as options up top (all United academy products :drool:) Use the spare money and the rest of the war chest to upgrade defence, DM and RW.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Josh was a great young player. It's hard to know how he would have developed at United. Leaving can hit players hard but he had good ability. It's hard to say whether we could have got him consistent but he had a good all round game, was quick and he could finish....but at that time we had a strong squad

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Best striker United has produced, since...?

We should have let Macheda and Welbeck go and backed Joshua King!

SambaBoy

Was a very talented player as a kid and he was tipped to be the next player to come through our academy and make an impact. Started to get injured a lot when he was 15-18 though and that stunted his development and others got given chances instead.

Was pretty underwhelming at Blackburn from what I can remember but he's a real livewire for Bournemouth these days.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

At the time Welbeck was playing for ManUtd, Josh King scored 5 goals in 4 seasons at Championship, or it's 3.5 seasons as 2 of them were midseason loans.

He improved with consistent game time, Josh King would have been meme had he stayed at ManUtd with sub appearances, not getting consistent run of games.

Nick7

I'm really glad he's kicked on. Late bloomer with those injuries but always had talent.

meamth

Does he still possess electric pace like he used to do?

Redcafe during that time always raving about this guy's pace.

SteveW

I rated him as a youth player here. He had serious pace and balance. No surprise that he eventually made the step up in the premier league.

SteveW

Unfair on Danny. He was a good player until his knees turned to glass.

Samid

Unfair on Danny. He was a good player until his knees turned to glass.
And King had those same injuries at the start of his career. Injuries are a part of football. At the end of the day one is a pretty decent PL forward whilst the other is totally washed up.

PL stats:
Welbeck
209 games
42 goals
20 assists

King
142 games
44 goals
12 assists