Joshua Harrop

pascell

PNE is a good destination. He will surely play a lot of games. I wouldn't be against sending CBJ or Riley there as well if they want. Always hope that we can have a semi-feeder club in the Championship like Hull few years ago. It's quite hard to even get a good Championship loan these days.
I agree, I've been to watch PNE a few times over the past few seasons as they're my hometown team. They really lack a player who has pace, flair and end product on their wing, it's what really hampers them as well as a half decent defender, so Harrop will fit right in and will play every game when he settles in there imo. I don't think CBJ would get games there unless at CB, their LB Cunningham is their best player, closely followed by our own academy product Ben Pearson who the fans love. I think they'd have a lot of time for a player like McTominay who'd add a bit of steel in the middle of midfield.

Shiva87

Where is this PNE information coming from. Wouldn't it make sense to send him out on a good loan this season as opposed to selling him?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Apparently being linked or shopped to Rennes and Bordeux. If he could go there over Preston I'd love that. Think he is exactly the type of player to succeed in Ligue 1 or Eredivisie but that might struggle down the leagues. Would be nice to see some of the smaller technical players taking a chance abroad instead of dropping down the leagues. Either way I hope he develops well and is back in the PL soon. Really hope the links are true.

khoazany

Rennes would be good. Players like him, Rothwell, Lawrence, Kehinde, Gribbin shouldn't play in England really.

SirFergie

Yes but likely he is leaving. Offering it gets us compensation. Preston fans who claim to be itk say he has already agreed a deal with them so we'll see. I hope the Ligue 1 news is true though.
Yeah, would suit him.

May be better if he signed a contract with us and went on loan to France?

pascell

I hope he goes to Ligue 1, I wouldn't want him being swallowed up by the Championship, even if he would be a regular for PNE. I think he's too elegant of a player to play in the Championship that is mainly made up of players who like to 'rough it up', instead of playing technically.

My friends actually support PNE (my hometown team and have watched them a few times when United don't play) they're adamant he's signed for them but they don't know why it's not been announced. My guess is because they're still negotiating compensation as one of my friends said PNE don't want to pay what United want. I'm guessing that's where the links to Ligue 1 come in, either a tactic from ourselves to show PNE if they don't pay up the player will go elsewhere, or the player wouldn't mind going abroad.

I do hope we have a buy-back clause in wherever he goes but I don't know how much leverage we'll have. PNE drastically need a player who in a few years will fetch £15-20m for them to invest in their squad and that player will either be Harrop or Pearson (already plays at PNE). It's quite sad they don't get funds off their owner Hemmings who is a very rich man, as it'd be nice to see PNE back in the PL.

My friends are a bit fickle when it comes to the Championship, I said to them last summer that money is going to be booming in the Championship in the next few years (PL TV deal + parachute payments) and I also said whichever teams hires a coach he is technically astute, they'll have the best chance of promotion. They laughed it off, they didn't think it was going that way but Huddersfield won the play-offs with Klopps former no.2 at Dortmund playing good technical football.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Seems like a sensible move, he'll probably get more competition and playing time, like a step in the ladder before eventually getting back.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
We are so shit at dealing with youth arent we? The person in charge of that should be sacked.

limerickcitykid

We are so shit at dealing with youth arent we? The person in charge of that should be sacked.
How exactly? I love the lad but I'll be honest he wasn't going to make it here really and I hope the club will help him out and look out for his interest over maybe a million pound.

Hoping its true as that's a bit of more reliable reporter isn't it.

Brightonian

Nah, he's a talented lad but not quite in the top bracket, and plenty of those don't make it with us either. Maybe if he played a position where we're thin there'd have been some point in keeping him on, but he's a #10/WAM, and we've got those coming out our ears. He's 21, he needs regular game time right now.

Red_toad

So we just keep players who won't make it here until they're 25 then?
We're one of the best in the league at producing decent premier league players. So how do you work out that it's shit?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I think what we can do better is, manage contracts and situations with youngsters properly so that if they are not likely to make it at club, we at least get decent sum from transfers.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I think what we can do better is, manage contracts and situations with youngsters properly so that if they are not likely to make it at club, we at least get decent sum from transfers.
It's not just up to United.

When you put 'buy-back' clauses and 'sell-on' clauses into contracts it affects four parties.

1. The player - it may inhibit his choice of club/wage
2. The agent - the fee
3. The buying club - the percentage of revenue from future sales
4. The selling club - the actual revenue received and the option to get a better player back

I know of a couple of cases where a United junior wanted to go to another club but the buying club wouldn't agree with all the add ons so the player just had to stay.

This is very rare, and United are very, very good at making sure their youngsters find careers in the game and are not that adamant about additional clauses in contracts. This makes it really easy for the young player to find a new club and negotiate a decent wage.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
France would be good for him, I reckon. I don't think he will get a chance anywhere in the PL, at this point, and he's not a good fit for the Championship. If he goes there he'll stall and linger in the lower leagues forever.

The Man Himself

It's not just up to United.

When you put 'buy-back' clauses and 'sell-on' clauses into contracts it affects four parties.

1. The player - it may inhibit his choice of club/wage
2. The agent - the fee
3. The buying club - the percentage of revenue from future sales
4. The selling club - the actual revenue received and the option to get a better player back

I know of a couple of cases where a United junior wanted to go to another club but the buying club wouldn't agree with all the add ons so the player just had to stay.

This is very rare, and United are very, very good at making sure their youngsters find careers in the game and are not that adamant about additional clauses in contracts. This makes it really easy for the young player to find a new club and negotiate a decent wage.
Yes, I know that it is not just up to United and that we can't decide things one way. Also in your experience of following youth and knowing more details about it than most, you would have seen cases where players may have suffered. My point was more on simple transfer fee and length of contracts though. Not buy-back or sell-on clauses or complicated add-ons. For ex, I think we can expect to get 5-7M for Harrop in current market but if he leaves now, it will be what, compensation decided by tribunal which maybe couple of millions at max? Unless there is no hope from player, not just making it big here but even having a possibility of offer from lower half of PL or championship clubs, ideally players contracts shouldn't be allowed to run down. Again, I know players and agent will not agree on new contract if they see no future at United as it will make moving that much harder for player but I think we are not very good sellers (both at senior and youth levels) and that is unnecessary financial loss. Just yesterday I found out that some Mooy (that's the spelling?) guy from City, who they signed last year, is 27 yr old, is going to Huddersfield for 10M! I didn't even know he was signed last year or that there is such player existing. Januzaj we would be lucky to get 10M though on other hand...

It is good that United care for youngsters and make sure they find good careers and that's important too but I just think that we should not end up empty handed at end of it or suffer losses. The transfer fee etc, can be negotiated case to case basis, based on how much demand a player has and from which clubs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If the rumors are true, he should sign for Bordeaux. Gourvennec is a good coach and they have a young attack with Laborde, Ounas and Malcom.

limerickcitykid

Yes, I know that it is not just up to United and that we can't decide things one way. Also in your experience of following youth and knowing more details about it than most, you would have seen cases where players may have suffered. My point was more on simple transfer fee and length of contracts though. Not buy-back or sell-on clauses or complicated add-ons. For ex, I think we can expect to get 5-7M for Harrop in current market but if he leaves now, it will be what, compensation decided by tribunal which maybe couple of millions at max? Unless there is no hope from player, not just making it big here but even having a possibility of offer from lower half of PL or championship clubs, ideally players contracts shouldn't be allowed to run down. Again, I know players and agent will not agree on new contract if they see no future at United as it will make moving that much harder for player but I think we are not very good sellers (both at senior and youth levels) and that is unnecessary financial loss. Just yesterday I found out that some Mooy (that's the spelling?) guy from City, who they signed last year, is 27 yr old, is going to Huddersfield for 10M! I didn't even know he was signed last year or that there is such player existing. Januzaj we would be lucky to get 10M though on other hand...

It is good that United care for youngsters and make sure they find good careers and that's important too but I just think that we should not end up empty handed at end of it or suffer losses. The transfer fee etc, can be negotiated case to case basis, based on how much demand a player has and from which clubs.
There isn't a chance Harrop goes for 5-7m. Frankly, he is actually lucky to even have 1 senior appearance. Talk is of 600k compensation from Preston and we wouldn't get much more from a transfer.

Mooy has nothing to do with a potential price of Harrop. He is an experienced player and international and was just one of the best players in the Championship. Harrop has played 1 senior game which had no meaning at all. Adnan is also in the last year of his contract and it is clear he doesn't want to be here and we don't want him either so there is much of a bargaining tool for us.

The Man Himself

There isn't a chance Harrop goes for 5-7m. Frankly, he is actually lucky to even have 1 senior appearance. Talk is of 600k compensation from Preston and we wouldn't get much more from a transfer.

Mooy has nothing to do with a potential price of Harrop. He is an experienced player and international and was just one of the best players in the Championship. Harrop has played 1 senior game which had no meaning at all. Adnan is also in the last year of his contract and it is clear he doesn't want to be here and we don't want him either so there is much of a bargaining tool for us.
You never know in current market. A debut goal etc, 2-3 clubs interested, small transfer bidding war and price can suddenly go up by few millions. It is not just PNE but couple of French clubs interested in him too?
Otherwise the names I mentioned were just examples. Point is, we are not good sellers, which is obvious (except our transfers out last year/Jan) and I want it to be improved, both at senior and youth level if possible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You never know in current market. A debut goal etc, 2-3 clubs interested, small transfer bidding war and price can suddenly go up by few millions. It is not just PNE but couple of French clubs interested in him too?
Otherwise the names I mentioned were just examples. Point is, we are not good sellers, which is obvious (except our transfers out last year/Jan) and I want it to be improved, both at senior and youth level if possible.
I don't know about PNE but I really don't see Bordeaux or Rennes spend 5 million on anyone let alone Harrop.

limerickcitykid

I don't know about PNE but I really don't see Bordeaux or Rennes spend 5 million on anyone let alone Harrop.
PNE are haggling on the 600k so no chance of them either.

And McGeady one of their best players last years is now for 2m a massive transfer for them. No chance of 5 million for Harrop.

The Man Himself

Maybe but Harrop with couple of years on his contract right now would have at least given us some negotiating power. As I mentioned in response to MUJAC, I am aware there are multiple parties to it and many factors come into play. At end of it all though, not losing even decent talents for peanuts or for less than what they can fetch, should be the target. 5M or 2.5M or something else will depend on case-to-case basis and on clubs interested in said player.

khoazany

With him going, only the 2 Pereiras, Wilson and Willock will be still contracted with the club next season from that age group.