Joshua Harrop

Friction

I feel bad losing such a talented youngster, however, what can you do? Reports say that we offered him a new contract sometime between April and May, so it's not like we are selling him willingly. He's leaving on his own. I do think that he could have stayed on and possibly competed for some game time at some point next year. I don't know if he would ever become a starter here, but I think he would be a good squad player like Lingard. I'm sure he'll do fine at PNE, he could possibly turn into a real star for them.

jb8521

He should have been used next season. He chose to leave cause he wasn't gonna get used.
He's not better than the players ahead of him so why should he have been used next season? Your opinion seems to be based largely on wanting more homegrown players but many of the players who are likely to be playing ahead of him like Rashford, Lingard and Pereira are all home grown and better than him as are the other options like Mkhitaryan and Martial and then there are younger players who probably have a far higher potential than him who will be looking to compete for the occasional game time he might have gotten as well.

Jaybomb

He's not better than the players ahead of him so why should he have been used next season? Your opinion seems to be based largely on wanting more homegrown players but many of the players who are likely to be playing ahead of him like Rashford, Lingard and Pereira are all home grown and better than him as are the other options like Mkhitaryan and Martial and then there are younger players who probably have a far higher potential than him who will be looking to compete for the occasional game time he might have gotten as well.
Was Harry Kane impressive before he got his chance at Spurs? No.

jb8521

Was Harry Kane impressive before he got his chance at Spurs? No.
Yeah he was impressive with both Spurs and England underage, did well for both Leyton Orient and Milwall at 17/18 and had already played about 100 senior games by the time he was Harrop's age

Leonard17

Yeah I'm not happy with this.

Why are we selling our homegrown players to accommodate lazy overpaid players with no passion like Martial? Ferguson would be ashamed.

If they were playing now, we would have sold a young Giggs and Scholes to make way for someone like Tielemans. We need passionate homegrown stars.

Yes I know he didn't sign a new deal but I doubt he was offered minutes. You would think after that debut, he would be given a proper shot like Rashford was. But nope. We're only looking at his age and not the potential. Lingard was 23 when he broke through.

No doubt Wilson and Januzaj will be sold too. :(
Let's not overreact please

Jaybomb

Let's not overreact please
Not overreacting. How many of our current squad can you honestly say has Manchester United in their heart?

Now we're about to splash 80m on a player who dreams about making it at Real Madrid (Morata) when we could be developing one of our own into a player of his quality. Whether that's Rashford, Wilson or Harrop. It's just a waste in my opinion.

Sid234

He should have been used next season. He chose to leave cause he wasn't gonna get used.
Who do you suggest we bench/sell to give him a shot?

He's talented but no where near ready to be playing regular PL football. If he was, there'd be clubs bigger than PNE lining up to sign him. He needs to play regularly at a lower level to develop, he will be a PL player someday but not next year

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Not overreacting. How many of our current squad can you honestly say has Manchester United in their heart?

Now we're about to splash 80m on a player who dreams about making it at Real Madrid (Morata) when we could be developing one of our own into a player of his quality. Whether that's Rashford, Wilson or Harrop. It's just a waste in my opinion.
I have Manchester United in my heart, and I'd gladly play for free .. can I be a first team player .. please please

Sid234

There are plenty of players who fall in thay category, also if someone was an outstanding talent like Morata at United, theu'd be getting their shot. Rashford has made it, i'm expecting Andreas Pereira to get a shot next season as well.

It's not always going to be a fairy tale story, sometimes player need to take the long road to the top, and if Harrop reaches the top and is a must buy, i'm sure we'll get him then. Like we did with Pogba.

What he did now was the best possible move for his career and kudos to him for taking that step, and also good on the club for not trying to force into staying with fake promises

Special_One

Not to disrespect, but Harrop's goal has blinded a few people here. A good player, nothing more. He'll do well at PNE and I'll be at Deepdale when he does.

Tiber

Why are we selling our homegrown players to accommodate lazy overpaid players with no passion like Martial? Ferguson would be ashamed.

If they were playing now, we would have sold a young Giggs and Scholes to make way for someone like Tielemans. We need passionate homegrown stars.

Yes I know he didn't sign a new deal but I doubt he was offered minutes. You would think after that debut, he would be given a proper shot like Rashford was. But nope. We're only looking at his age and not the potential. Lingard was 23 when he broke through.

strange post

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was hardly our best talent. There are at least five six more talented players than him who had a better chance to make it here.

People who haven't a set foot in youth forums moaning about this whilst regular youth watchers aren't too fussed about this speaks a lot.

Best of luck to him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He was hardly our best talent. There are at least five six more talented players than him who had a better chance to make it here.
He was right up there with W.Keane, Januzaj, Pereira and Tuanzebe for me. Can't blame him for leaving, though.

I would've liked to have seen him go abroad but that was never likely. I'll try and catch as many PNE games as possible with them having both Harrop and Pearson.

KM

He was right up there with W.Keane, Januzaj, Pereira and Tuanzebe for me. Can't blame him for leaving, though.

I would've liked to have seen him go abroad but that was never likely. I'll try and catch as many PNE games as possible with them having both Harrop and Pearson.
I'm sorry but he was never at the level of 4 players that you've just quoted(in the reserves at atleast)

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm sorry but he was never at the level of 4 players that you've just quoted(in the reserves at atleast)
I don't expect anyone to agree but he was for me. Even when he lined up alongside the aforementioned players he didn't look out of place never mind a level below. Then again, Pereira's just had a successful loan spell in Spains top league and is looking likely to become a first team squad member here, Tuanzebe's constantly impressed in the first team and looks like a squaddie next year, and Januzaj's off to a good spanish side in Sociedad, whilst Harrop's at, no disrespect intended, PNE, so what do I know? Opinions, eh.

Shame about W.Keane. I actually forgot he was at Hull and had suffered another terrible injury. Hopefully he'll end up forging himself a good career.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

Well he never reached the above 4 level. People who have watched him in a dead rubber and got excited need to understand that he was not even top 5 youth prospect.
Januzaj and Tuanzebe owned the reserves. They Were ridiculously good at that level. Dont let one dead rubber game cloud your judgement.

KM

I don't expect anyone to agree but he was for me. Even when he lined up alongside the aforementioned players he didn't look out of place never mind a level below. Then again, Pereira's just had a successful loan spell in Spains top league and is looking likely to become a first team squad member here, Tuanzebe's constantly impressed in the first team and looks like a squaddie next year, and Januzaj's off to a good spanish side in Sociedad, whilst Harrop's at, no disrespect intended, PNE, so what do I know? Opinions, eh.

Shame about W.Keane. I actually forgot he was at Hull and had suffered another terrible injury. Hopefully he'll end up forging himself a good career.
Everything true, tbf nobody expected Micheal Keane to build a career like this when he moved to Burnley so maybe you're judging Harrop right and I'm judging him wrong.

Will Keane and Petrucci are the two biggest unfortunate cases I've ever seen in academy. Both were ridiculously talented but injury seem to have cursed them.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Everything true, tbf nobody expected Micheal Keane to build a career like this when he moved to Burnley so maybe you're judging Harrop right and I'm judging him wrong.

Will Keane and Petrucci are the two biggest unfortunate cases I've ever seen in academy. Both were ridiculously talented but injury seem to have cursed them.
Petrucci my god he was so talented, his and ravel morisson case tell you that talent only goes so far you need luck and hard work to go with it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well he never reached the above 4 level. People who have watched him in a dead rubber and got excited need to understand that he was not even top 5 youth prospect.
Januzaj and Tuanzebe owned the reserves. They Were ridiculously good at that level. Dont let one dead rubber game cloud your judgement.
I do watch plenty of the reserves and I thought he was great there, too! Long before his debut, I was a huge fan of his. I'm sad to see him go but the fact he got a 1st team game before leaving when I thought that ship had long since sailed in LVG's reign was very nice. And he scored, too!

I don't think we can say either one of us is right or wrong. We'll just have to wait and see how his career pans out. One thing is for sure, and I'm sure I can speak for both of us, is that we hope he does go onto have a good career whether it's at the top level or not.

Natener

Harrop's a good talent and should go on to be a decent player so all the best to him. But come on, some of our fans are acting like we are Norwich and losing our best young talent.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

The fact that you think Adnan will be missed at all says a lot. He's the epitome of the lazy overpaid player in our squad and is no where near anything that Martial has shown for the first team.

Harrop isn't anywhere near good enough to be guaranteed playing time for a premier league team, let alone when we're trying to go for the top 4 at the minimum. And Lingard disproves your ridiculous notion that we're only looking at the players age and not their potential.

So much shit in one short post.

kundalini

How much would he earn at PNE?
According to SwissRamble (the best source on most football finance issues), Preston's revenue was £11m and their wage bill the same for 2015-2016. Anyway, let's assume the first team squad gets £8m (might be slightly more, or slightly less, as the £11m will also cover manager, coaches, plus all the non-playing staff).

25 player squad (Transfermarkt lists 27). If they all earned the same then £320K. Harrop is one of the younger players with no track-record at this level so likely to be below the average figure. I'd guess in the region of £200k a year (probably a significant performance element in his deal, huge bonus if promoted, basic wage might be below £200K, if he starts most Championship games then £300K might be within reach).

Highest earners at Preston probably around £500K a year. Lowest first team squad earners might be £100K.

The Championship clubs with the biggest wage bills typically have parachute payments from having been in the Premier League recently. Preston are one of the lowest in terms of revenues and salaries, though possible there has been a rise since 2015-2016, which might ruin my calculation.

I think Josh Harrop has suffered from the lack of a successful spell on loan (he never went out on loan at all). Had he done so then some of the bigger Championship clubs might have been interested. Anyway, what he really needs now is playing time in the Championship so a smaller club might be a better match for his current situation. As to whether he suits the Championship, that's an unknown.

Last edited:

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
According to SwissRamble (the best source on most football finance issues), Preston's revenue was £11m and their wage bill the same for 2015-2016. Anyway, let's assume the first team squad gets £8m (might be slightly more, or slightly less, as the £11m will cover manager, coaches, plus all the non-playing staff).

25 player squad (Transfermarkt lists 27). If they all earned the same then £320K. Harrop is one of the younger players with no track-record at this level so likely to be below the average figure. I'd guess in the region of £200k a year (probably a significant performance element in his deal, huge bonus if promoted, basic wage might be below £200K).

Highest earners at Preston probably around £500K a year. Lowest first team squad earners might be £100K.
That's almost 1k a week?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
People need to remember that he is 22 years old.
By this age, most of his skills should be complete and it is rear that a player improves significantly beyond this age.
Ronaldo/Messi, for instance, at 22, were already World class.

So, for those who like Harrop at MUFC, ask yourselves this question: assuming that he doesn't improve, is Harrop good enough to play as a backup striker for MUFC?

As an extreme example, Mbappe is rated very highly and top clubs are competing for his signature (even though he has only had one good season).
In stark contrast, the best club Harrop was able to get interest from was Preston - this tells me that he isn't as good as some of you are making out.

Like Memphis before him, I wish Harrop all the best and hope he has a good career.

khoazany

People need to remember that he is 22 years old.
By this age, most of his skills should be complete and it is rear that a player improves significantly beyond this age.
Ronaldo/Messi, for instance, at 22, were already World class.

So, for those who like Harrop at MUFC, ask yourselves this question: assuming that he doesn't improve, is Harrop good enough to play as a backup striker for MUFC?

As an extreme example, Mbappe is rated very highly and top clubs are competing for his signature (even though he has only had one good season).
In stark contrast, the best club Harrop was able to get interest from was Preston - this tells me that he isn't as good as some of you are making out.

Like Memphis before him, I wish Harrop all the best and hope he has a good career.
He isn't even a striker mate, and he's 21. Generally Harrop is at the age where he needs to move on and play proper first team football but your argument is seriously flawed. Player's development is different cases by cases, and in Harrop's case he was disrupted by injuries by the last 3 seasons.

Comparing him with Ronaldo/Messi/Mbappe is ridiculous. Almost nobody in our current first team squad is near those players in terms of potential, excluding Pogba. I can compare him with Zidane who's still playing for Cannes at around the same age no? Is Zidane worse than Rashford then because he didn't play at top level at 19?

People should watch the player and form their own judgement. There are plenty of players who due to circumstances need time to eventually climb up to the top level, whilst there are players who rise early but then fall later. You can't just use age to conclude anything.

Tarrou

Great move for him I feel. Get regular first team football now and he has a chance of making it in the PL. I think he's probably Championship level but he was never going to get games for us so best to move now.

Sid234

Lingard is a good example of a late bloomer, older age doesn't necessarily mean a footballer has reached their ceiling in terms of potential.

Jamie Vardy is also a similar case.

I think Harrop has the talent to be a PL player in future. Hopefully he does.

Special_One

I haven't seen a lot of him aside from that game tbh but goal aside his movement and offensive play looked promising. Sad to see him go.
I won't definitevely say he wouldn't have made it here, because he may have done. But he's made the right choice at this moment in time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The boy obviously doesn't think he would have made it here
Exactly, and if he's really that good we will have no problems buying him back as we've treated him very well and I'm sure he'd like to play here as a more established player. Right now he's too far down the pecking order for a player of his age. He needs games. It's a smart move on his part. I'd say we matched PNE wages too. He just wants to play and prove himself

Last edited: