Joshua King / signs for Watford

crossy1686

career ending
Think he means more Konchesky, Carrol, Downing, Benteke.
At the time they weren't even bad signing's, they were just the wrong players for the type of football they wanted to play. Carrol is probably the biggest feck up but that was mostly due to his injury record.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We need a striker
We need a striker who can start
Josh King's for hire
And now he's playing piano in the dark

Suvvernmanc

With Eddie Howes recent comments, I would say this will be done! He would know if he was satying but instead he said, 'it's out of my control. I love Joshua as a player but I know what Manchester United means to him'.

This will be done today I think

Jibbs

Among all these wonderful Norwegian kids available, we are going for Joshua King.

There are so many young quality strikers available and we are going for a guy no other team would go to.

He is the kind of signing which doesn't inspire and sadly will be a panic buy and that too for 20 m plus.

starman

Just sign him and offer Lingard on loan,
they get a replacement (king tends to play on the left or as SS when Wilson plays anyway), Lingard doesnt need to commit to a team that 'might' be relegated and he 'might' actually recapture some of his form that 'might' attract potential buyers

redshaw

We need someone.

Rashford would have to be eased back or might not even play. If we have an injury to Martial or Greenwood soon it's going to look very desperate.

RedTiger

Half mast
Just sign him and offer Lingard on loan,
they get a replacement (king tends to play on the left or as SS when Wilson plays anyway), Lingard doesnt need to commit to a team that 'might' be relegated and he 'might' actually recapture some of his form that 'might' attract potential buyers
I'd be happy with this, can't see Bournemouth turning down an England international.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Among all these wonderful Norwegian kids available, we are going for Joshua King.

There are so many young quality strikers available and we are going for a guy no other team would go to.

He is the kind of signing which doesn't inspire and sadly will be a panic buy and that too for 20 m plus.
Which wonderful Norwegian players are available?
Haaland? Boat sailed
Odergaard? Fat chance

theklr

Again, Sørloth has 15 in 18 in Turkey and now that Håland is here on top of that. Should King play as the national teams focal point?
No, he probably shouldnt, but he has done it uptil now and done a good job

Last edited:

ash_86

Strange. Does anyone else really regard King highly apart from us?
I don't think he has to be the best out there for being a back up striker. He has good technique and can score some scrappy goals like he did against us this season. Someone in mould of origi who isn't starting quality but decent off bench.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Couldn't we sign someone good instead?
When we revealed our master plan to buy best home grown players and to have British core i was sceptical but i thought - "Ok, we will try to steal Kane and Ali from Spurs, Odoi from Chelsea, maybe best foreign players like Auba or Eriksen and it will be excellent".

But this is not what i expected. Does someone seriously think that buying from Newcastle( Longstaff), West Ham( Rice), Swansea, Bournemouth or Palace will get us back on top? This kind of rebuilding needs to stop. I will rather be 7th or 8th with our kids and watch Greenwood, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe on the pitch than 5th with overpayed domestic players "with right attitude".

Dante

Average bang
Strange. Does anyone else really regard King highly apart from us?
We reportedly only bid £20m so I don't think we rate him that highly. He's a stop gap. With everyone fit, he'd probably be fourth choice behind Martial, Rashford and Greenwood.

It think this target is about tiding us over until Rashford gets back, then to be an option off the bench in case of injuries. He's not coming as an important team member.

ChaddyP

This is a panic buy if true. Of course though some posters will rationalize it as a "cultural reboot" and a piece of 4D chess from Ole.
Of course its a panic buy. We're in panic mode. At least the club realise the situation they have put themselves in

Sylar

It is wasting of money. You don't spend 30 mil on backup short term striker. If we want to spend on striker then lets go for real deal and go for Dembele, Werner or Belotti or some other high quality long term striker.
If we really want only short term option( because we believe in Greenwood) then lets just find some old proven striker. You have dozens of them who can be useful in these 6 months. Not to mention that Piatek went to bloody Hertha for 22 mil few days ago.

Also, we are not a team who have dream first 11 so that we need search for backups. I am huge fan of Martial but he is not Messi and Greenwood is not future Van Persie. Lets either believe in them or buy quality striker and let them fight for spot.
Value has changed. You do spend that much, when Bournemouth are in a relegation battle (and in the bottom 3) and there arent many other options for here and now.

Dembele, Werner and Belotti are not coming in January. You rarely ever get big signings like that in Jan and the need is for now.
Nothing stops us from going for these players in the summer by purchasing King. However not getting CL football more than likely ends any hopes of getting them or any top quality striker.

With regards to the dozens who can be useful in 6 months, sure. Name them though.
I have no issues with us getting somebody better than King if available, but who is it?
Who can do a short term job, adapt (or is adapted to the league) and will be a willing backup to United for 30m or less?

And as stated, if we want the two to fight for a spot, given they are both having similar records, its not the worst thing in the world.

With Spurs and Chelsea seemingly not bringing anybody in, that top4 spot is up for grabs. King would be on low wages, and would want to actually be at United. I cant think of many better players than him that would be willing to do the same.

crossy1686

career ending
When we revealed our master plan to buy best home grown players and to have British core i was sceptical but i thought - "Ok, we will try to steal Kane and Ali from Spurs, Odoi from Chelsea, maybe best foreign players like Auba or Eriksen and it will be excellent".

But this is not what i expected. Does someone seriously think that buying from Newcastle( Longstaff), West Ham( Rice), Swansea, Bournemouth or Palace will get us back on top? This kind of rebuilding needs to stop. I will rather be 7th or 8th with our kids and watch Greenwood, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe on the pitch than 5th with overpayed domestic players "with right attitude".
And after you've had Solskjaer fired and replaced by Pochettino, how long will he get if we're languishing in 8th place for two seasons?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Are you worried about players or from which clubs we are buying?

Neo_Mufc

Extremely disappointed to hear this news. When Lukaku left, the club including Ole made it very clear that Rashford/Martial and Greenwood would be our strikers.

We all knew we were relying too much on Rashford given that he has never been consistent enough, same with Martial and fearing the worst (an injury) would lead us to rely on Greenwood.

2 separate quotes from Ole;

“I can say [I am a striker short], but that was the decision that I made and I made it happily,”

‘So, for me, I believe Mason is going to be playing and involved a lot. And when he is, he’ll score goals.’

Fast forward, Rashford is injured, Martial isn't good enough to lead the line on his own and Greenwood is getting the odd 20mins here or there.

How can a club of our stature not have realised that we needed to replace Lukaku. Nothing against Josh King but he isn't Man Utd quality and he's not going to score 20-25 goals a season. What a shambles.

This is the kind of transfer you'd expect from the Lpool in the 00s/10s.

crossy1686

career ending
We apparently reportedly only bid £20m. I don't think we rate him that highly. He's a stop gap. With everyone fit, he'd probably be fourth choice behind Martial, Rashford and Greenwood.

It think this target is about tiding us over until Rashford gets back, then to be an option off the bench in case of injuries. He's not coming as an important team member.
£27m

But yeah, he's a stop gap and backup to any real business we want to do moving forward.

R'hllor

People acting confused why there is a push back vs this deal, let me guess, suddenly it makes sense right? :lol: King name wasnt even mentioned once in all suggestions flying around before rumours started and now, why you care about amount, he is this or that, logical move, get him and all that bollox. If at helm was someone else, you would react the same.

pastyfool

If water makes things wet and you add water to other water, could it not be said that the added water makes the other water wet?

Fixed.
If two things that aren’t wet but make other things wet are added together, then they cancel out their wetness and make each other dry. It’s just like magnets.

I am not a scientist and should not be trusted.

Johnbouche

Why would you spend any money let alone £30m+ on someone who is currently injured, has been injured consistently over the last few years and has a really poor goal scoring record.

I'm reading he is out until the end of February, hardly the quick fix we currently need. If this is the standard of signings Ole is going to be making as part of his long term plan then we are in a lot of trouble.

Alabaster Codify7

January 1st - wanted the hottest young talent in Europe, Haaland.

January 31st - got a different Norwegian, Josh King!

Would be pure Banter Era United in general. But whatever, we need a body up top. I'm more concerned about him being injured than him in general.

Jibbs

On D day we are sticking with King instead of going for Adolfo.

troylocker

This is one of those transfers I don't want. Probably not sky high wage demands, but this is a deadweight-in-the-close-future-signing. Strong, quick and decent technique, but not enough end-product and quality for an ambitious rebuilding Man Utd. He also has an ego and will not be happy as backup in the long run.

He's come as far as he could already and should go for club legend status in B'mouth and fight for that LW-spot in the Norwegian NT in stead.