5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web of Bissaka

He’s played here for a long time now and not once in a truly attacking team. He was great today and still has a huge part to play for us.

You’ve got halfwits around here that would flog him. Nutters, the lot of them.
Wow and wow mate :lol: I get your point, but seriously, let's not pretend Mata played like this all the time every single games.

zenith

He's certainly not one for the wing or the front three but currently he is the most effective alternate we may have of pogba were to be injured. With a double pivot behind him and a fantastic passing vision he can in theory play the role of an advanced midfielder well enough

POF

I love Mata. I think is the type of character needed at the club. But he is also a prime example of the disjointed transfer policy the club has adopted. His style of play just doesn't suit any of his teammates except Herrera who ironically rarely plays in the same team.

If the style is now going to be to fast paced attacking transitions, it's hard to see any real future for Mata in the first team.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He had a decent 7/10 performance I felt yesterday. Had a few bad phases and tried to be cute in a couple of places, but he was literally everywhere. He was moving with purpose, and he was linking up well with every player.

I would love to see him play in midfield 3 (1 DM) alongside Pogba, where I feel he would eventually settle at as he gets older

RedPamie

Good performance by him yesterday. Some slick passing from him and tbh the whole team played decent. We looked good offensively but also shaky defensively. I'll take that every week than snoozefest we got this season.

Back to Mata, with Martial, Alexis and Lukaku back in the squad, I think he'll be back on the bench and this makes me a little bit sad but it's for the best, team wise.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I think we need to divide the caf into leagues...Premier, Championship and Div. One. And then Conference for all those who can’t recognise that Mata is the most intelligent player we have and what he lacks in pace he makes up with skill and foresight. And free kicks. Made Pogba’s first goal.

settembrini

He's having another bad season and will hopefully be out the door in the summer.

AgentP

He had a decent 7/10 performance I felt yesterday. Had a few bad phases and tried to be cute in a couple of places, but he was literally everywhere. He was moving with purpose, and he was linking up well with every player.

I would love to see him play in midfield 3 (1 DM) alongside Pogba, where I feel he would eventually settle at as he gets older
You want him to play Silva's role in City. But I can't see it happening. He just does not have the close control and dribbling needed to keep the ball under pressure like Silva.

E-mal

You want him to play Silva's role in City. But I can't see it happening. He just does not have the close control and dribbling needed to keep the ball under pressure like Silva.
He is just not as good as Silva and not as tenacious either.
In my opinion if we want to bring the wage bill down he is amongst the players we can let go.

E-mal

I think we need to divide the caf into leagues...Premier, Championship and Div. One. And then Conference for all those who can’t recognise that Mata is the most intelligent player we have and what he lacks in pace he makes up with skill and foresight. And free kicks. Made Pogba’s first goal.
Doesnt matter, I am perhaps more intelligent than he is and can't play football for shit. We cant press with him, we cant counter with him either.
Him, Fellaini, Valencia, Rojo and Darmian are players we should move on immediately the season is over. Sanchez also has season end to prove himself or be shown the exit.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I’m afraid as intelligent as he is - it doesn’t make up for it enough. If we want to win trophies - he can’t be a fixture in the first team long term.

DCP

Mata is intelligent, a great footballer and great guy. But he just doesn’t fit in our team. He’s just not quick enough to play in the spare position and it is a case of square peg in a round hole. Although a very good peg.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I’m afraid as intelligent as he is - it doesn’t make up for it enough. If we want to win trophies - he can’t be a fixture in the first team long term.
He's not really a fixture though is he? He starts the odd game every fortnight nowadays.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's not really a fixture though is he? He starts the odd game every fortnight nowadays.
Still plays far too often for my liking - I'd like to see more of his minutes go to youngsters such as Gomes/Greenwood or a new right winger brought in Jan. He should either be played centrally - when coming off the bench, or if we are in the lead - come on and play where he can. Whenever he starts out wide, I just now we're going to be disjointed and ineffective down the flank because he just lacks the dynamic presence to both cut in and go down the line (as you'd expect from say a normal inverted winger). I also feel his passing is too 'safe' and he doesn't make enough penetrative passes for a guy of his vision and footballing intelligence.

Hopefully we get a new permanent right winger and Mata is consigned to being a proper squad player. I'd prefer for him to be a game changer off the bench. Look at how Shaqiri, who intelligence wise is a far inferior player but IMO he has that 'electricity' to his game that can take games away from opponents when he is in the mood.. with Mata, it is too slow and methodical.

He has proven he can get key goals now and again, he's a lovely guy - so I'd keep him around but in terms of being a great first team signing - he was such a bad fit for the club. In his prime, he should have gone to a team which emphasises possession more... his style of football and United's attack and go for the opponents throat philosophy don't go hand in hand. He's only survived this long because we have three managers who had the tempo of a snail when it came to how they want their football to be played.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He did well yesterday, I still think he's a left winger though, not a right. With Pogba offering that over load on that side I think it would work really well too.

Captain Paris

Good player but ultimately I think we should let him go this summer. As I was watching the game, it hit me how many times, he either failed to make a pass or make a good control for a player of his supposed quality.

When he came in, I really thought he was going to make us a better team because he was supposed to be in his prime but looking back at his contribution, I think it's fair to say that he hasn't met those expectations.

Furthermore, one of the crticisms that the Pogbas and Martials of the team get is that they're inconsistent but Mata is even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForestRGoinUp

Mind you Juan Mata is quite possibly the weakest and the slowest player in the entire league - which puts him him the running for being the weakest and slowest in Europe. So if he made up for all of that with his skill and foresight we would have some sort of wizard on our hands. And we don't, not even close.

Gasolin

Sad to see people not understanding that the intelligence we're talking about is football intelligence and it drives "decisions" on the pitch, which is the most important factor. Mata is skilled with the ball, and doesn't need that much speed to move the ball fast. How did he construct Pogba'a first goal anyway? He went in, and used his touch to attract opponents and move the defensive shape.

Mata will have a place in this team, he brings a different profile, maybe a bit too central for some games but he's great.
And he might be slower than most but when needed he will accelerate, he just doesn't do that in the same fashion as a Lingard, but his first touch is much better than Lingard for example. And both Zidane and Platini said the most important thing for a footballer is the first touch!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Doesnt matter, I am perhaps more intelligent than he is and can't play football for shit. We cant press with him, we cant counter with him either.
Him, Fellaini, Valencia, Rojo and Darmian are players we should move on immediately the season is over. Sanchez also has season end to prove himself or be shown the exit.
:lol:

Which one of the top European leagues do you play in, mate?

Denis79

Sad to see people not understanding that the intelligence we're talking about is football intelligence and it drives "decisions" on the pitch, which is the most important factor. Mata is skilled with the ball, and doesn't need that much speed to move the ball fast. How did he construct Pogba'a first goal anyway? He went in, and used his touch to attract opponents and move the defensive shape.

Mata will have a place in this team, he brings a different profile, maybe a bit too central for some games but he's great.
And he might be slower than most but when needed he will accelerate, he just doesn't do that in the same fashion as a Lingard, but his first touch is much better than Lingard for example. And both Zidane and Platini said the most important thing for a footballer is the first touch!
No point arguing. He'll get alot of playing time this season to prove his worth. Fantastic first touch and vision in him.

E-mal

:lol:

Which one of the top European leagues do you play in, mate?
Naah mate, am too intelligent to leave the comfort of my house and play outdoor.
The point is he is not that good to play as a starter and not that intelligent and dynamic to affect the game as a substitute.
We should move him on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is a fantastic player. Fantastic. His every touch is football art. It will sound harsh but he wasted his career here.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He's been in prime form since LVGs last season
Excuse me?
No, he’s a final third player with poor numbers, that’s not good enough.
You can talk about his movement and fine technique, but if you’re playing for Manchester United in the final third you’ve got to have the numbers.
Overall he’s having a forgettable career here imo, we will not miss him when he leaves, you watch.

He isn’t strong enough on the ball to play deeper.
If football was played with 12 players, he’d perhaps be an inportant player, the very definition of a luxury player.

We’re a faster and more aggressive side without him.

LoveFootball

He was great yesterday, very good indeed. Great servant but he's exactly the kind of players we need to upgrade on soon if we want to go back to the level we want. Like I was with the new contract they gave to Fellaini, I'd be desappointed if they gave him a new contract, we need better players and better squad players on normal wages, not the kind of money those players are getting to sit on the bench. Mata, Fellaini, Rojo, Lukaku, Matic, Darmian and Sanchez should be released in the summer.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Excuse me?
No, he’s a final third player with poor numbers, that’s not good enough.
You can talk about his movement and fine technique, but if you’re playing for Manchester United in the final third you’ve got to have the numbers.
Overall he’s having a forgettable career here imo, we will not miss him when he leaves, you watch.

He isn’t strong enough on the ball to play deeper.
If football was played with 12 players, he’d perhaps be an inportant player, the very definition of a luxury player.

We’re a faster and more aggressive side without him.
You seem to be under the misguided notion I consider him a starter. I don't. He is a a fine squad player.
As for the 'poor numbers claim'. He is our top scorer and assister for the last 5 years in big games. Often comes up with crucial goals when we need them plus never complains. Our squad would be miles poorer without him. I'd rather keep him over a younger faster player with better numbers who mourns at being rotated.

simplyared

He impressed definately in the Huddersfield game. Didn't know he had that in him. If Pogba hadn't have got those 2 goals he'd have been my motm. Question is can he do that against the big guns?

Stacks

People complaining about Juan are on one. He did brilliantly for the Pogba goal and played some nice through ball attempts. He has been involved in more goals than any Prem player since his arrival but people want him sold? What better squad option will you get? Willian? Lamela? Mata is fine as a back up

PepsiCola

He impressed definately in the Huddersfield game. Didn't know he had that in him. If Pogba hadn't have got those 2 goals he'd have been my motm. Question is can he do that against the big guns?
He has done!

Never understood why Mourinho stopped trusting him in big games.

Coops73

Can’t help but love him, very clever player, wish he could run a bit quicker though.

ForestRGoinUp

Sweet boy really, but like some of the others that have dragged us to 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, and now 6th again, he will be long gone before we win anything of note. If his quality was as rare as some make it out to be we would have 1. won more games because of him or 2. sold him for a big fee while Mourinho was here.

Occasionally really good though, which has been the standard here for a few years.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Sweet boy really, but like some of the others that have dragged us to 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, and now 6th again, he will be long gone before we win anything of note. If his quality was as rare as some make it out to be we would have 1. won more games because of him or 2. sold him for a big fee while Mourinho was here.

Occasionally really good though, which has been the standard here for a few years.
Obviously we would have won so much more without him as all the others did their bit.... :rolleyes:

jeff_goldblum

He will benefit under a manager who wants to play quick passing football with movement in the front 3. His legs probably aren't up to playing wide right in this system against the top teams but he was capable there against Huddersfield and would be good cover for Pogba's role in this system too.

He still has a lot to offer but it's a pity we didn't have a manager who wanted to play to his strengths a few years ago. He was the best player in the league the season Bale won PotY, racked up a ludicrous number of assists for a poor Chelsea side but was never given the platform to recreate that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.