Juan Mata

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Continuing on from the locked thread.

Lots of Everton talk... Personally, I don't think we're in a strong enough position to sell him despite the addition of Mkhi. Our attack has been very thin last season and signing Mkhi alone doesn't change that as we have many fixtures ahead of us. Mata has also been a fairly consistent outlet for us scoring 10 goals in each of our worst seasons ever.

Also don't like the idea of strengthening a premier league rival.

Share your thoughts.

Sigma

Everton shouldn't be seen as a direct rival. They won't be in the top 4 next season barring any miracles. For the right price, we should sell him.

the hea

Wouldn't mind if he was sold, he is not good enough for the level we aspiring to and for the fee we paid for him he has been nothing but a flop.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His days were always numbered once Mourinho arrived. If we're being pragmatic then keeping him for another year makes more sense though as he is and would still be one of our most productive players.

Would be a class signing for Everton if they managed it. You just know he'd end up hurting us when we play them too.... *sigh*

Hellboy

Intrigued so see how much we get for him. With the money Everton has now the club should sell at £25m at least. We'll probably sell him for £20m or less.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Would like to keep him in the squad, but i doubt he would be happy with being a rotation player.

I don't see a place for him in our first XI, unless someone gets injured.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's much better than Everton's level. Spurs, Atleti, Sevilla, Valencia, Juve or PSG would be about right.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As long as the fee is adequate I couldn't care less where he goes. He's really not very good.

izec

If we bring in another winger/AM, he is off. The Mexican fella seems to come in, so i dont think Mata will be here in August.

peridigm

It's Everton. As long as we get a decent fee for him I think it's a good move. If Mkhitaryan is going to play a position Mata would normally play, then Mata has to be a sub or play in a different position. Jose definitely won't play Mata as a winger so that leaves the #10 spot. Rooney will most likely play there depending on whether we sign another AM. Mata should be sold now while he has some value. Riding the bench and selling in January will only see his value fall more.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn't really be arsed if he went. Good player but is weak as feck, far too slow and goes missing too often. Can't really see where he'll fit in. Hope he doesn't go and play in that shithole though, for his own sake.

Ixion

WTF he's better than Everton.

I'd rather sell Rooney.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Would be sad for him of course. He's a great guy, though I don't think he's quite hit the heights that he could have. Nothing is confirmed either way so it might just be speculation anyhow. If we did sell him then, I think we'll probably see a few more purchases. There's a lot of talk about Pogba but we really don't know. It'll be interesting to see but maybe we'll use him to get Stones. Who knows? There's a long way to go and creating a rumor about Mata would always be 'fairly' believable so we'll see.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's Everton. As long as we get a decent fee for him I think it's a good move. If Mkhitaryan is going to play a position Mata would normally play, then Mata has to be a sub or play in a different position. Jose definitely won't play Mata as a winger so that leaves the #10 spot. Rooney will most likely play there depending on whether we sign another AM. Mata should be sold now while he has some value. Riding the bench and selling in January will only see his value fall more.
I'd sooner have squad depth than the extra cash. If Mata gets sold then I hope we bring in another attacking player as we'd look a bit short to me otherwise.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is where the rumour started. Look at that source!
I want him to stay, although I wont be shocked to see him leave. But surely, he won't be leaving to everton. There'll be much bigger and better teams who'd be interested. Nearly every Italian side, few Spanish sides, maybe even some German sides- all of which playing in Europe this season- would like to go for him. So why would he go to Everton- a club he knows has no chance of finishing in top 6 for next few years

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think he should leave this summer before he's frozen out again and spends another 6-12months of his career riding the bench regardless. I personally don't think I'd miss him honestly, but i'm sure he can do well for a different team in a different setup. Hopefully we could get half decent money for him too.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I don't think Jose will want a player here that he has 'history' with and that's why I believe he'll go, regardless of whether he is or isn't good enough.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He's much better than Everton's level. Spurs, Atleti, Sevilla, Valencia, Juve or PSG would be about right.
I figure you're line of thought is that he's good enough but might just be struggling with the pace of the EPL? Because a few of those clubs you mentioned are currently a level above us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
How about strengthening first before selling what could be one of the most creative player we currently have ?

redtilded121

I will be sad to see him go, he has not performed as I had hoped he would but then he had moyes and lvg and I would wish him well.

Lay

Not a fan of his. Think he slows down the play too much. Still rather we didn't sell him to Everton though

LazyBones

£25million?? In today's market of inflated player prices surely we shouldn't be making a loss on Mata.

Skills

Snitch
This is where the rumour started. Look at that source!
I want him to stay, although I wont be shocked to see him leave. But surely, he won't be leaving to everton. There'll be much bigger and better teams who'd be interested. Nearly every Italian side, few Spanish sides, maybe even some German sides- all of which playing in Europe this season- would like to go for him. So why would he go to Everton- a club he knows has no chance of finishing in top 6 for next few years
Money? He'd have to take a paycut if he leaves the PL.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Juve, Dortmund, Athletico, Roma, Napoli, Valencia could use him. But, imo he'd be ideal for Spuds.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Will end up at Valencia or Atletico for £15 million or something.

CM

I wasn't impressed with him at all last season. Even still, I'd be a bit disappointed if we weren't able to recoup a large portion of the fee we paid for him with the transfer market in its current state.

anant

Money? He'd have to take a paycut if he leaves the PL.
I dont think its very important for him. He recently criticized the amount of money footballers receive

bubbles_

He scores important goals for us and his workrate has much improved under LVG. Can't see why he'd go straight away. Maybe next summer

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I figure you're line of thought is that he's good enough but might just be struggling with the pace of the EPL? Because a few of those clubs you mentioned are currently a level above us.
Correct Ish.

Juve, Dortmund, Athletico, Roma, Napoli, Valencia could use him. But, imo he'd be ideal for Spuds.
Raoul knows too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He scores important goals for us and his workrate has much improved under LVG. Can't see why he'd go straight away. Maybe next summer
Jose will want the space in the squad for someone else and I bet the board will want him off of the wage bill.

He can do a bit better than Everton though, surely?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Sell him, not good enough, we got our pants pulled down. Another painful reminder of the Moyes reign.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is all this coming from that conversation Zlatan had about getting the number 8 shirt?

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
If he's happy with a rotation role, keep him. If not, get rid

m1y2

he's a nice guy but not a player we should be building around, he himself wouldnt like to play from the bench, that's what he would get so he's probably off.. think it would be great for everton if they get him, as he's not needed we will sell for around 20mil just to get him of the wages. It's a shame he's too slow he would be brilliant footballer and he still is but maybe not for us right now and any soon as we have Mou

bubbles_

Jose will want the space in the squad for someone else and I bet the board will want him off of the wage bill.

He can do a bit better than Everton though, surely?
I'd agree with that. Maybe someone has told Jose that wages aren't an issue though? Thought he'd go back to Spain, although at Atletico he'd have the same issues.