Judy Munro-Leighton admits that she made false allegations against Brett Kavanaugh

MadMike

Obviously, people who aren't brokebrained know it's not a real problem. However, a (hopefully) small but vocal part of the population, including the US President, seem to believe that it is. High-profile instances like these only serve to reinforce their belief that women lying is a common occurence. While it might not result in a different reaction towards a victim who comes forward, the regressive brokebrains banging on about all the women that lie to ruin men could very well strengthen their fear of being called a liar, thus making them more reluctant to come forward.
Again, I haven't seen anyone from the right come out and say there's a big problem with women lying. Accusing a particular woman of lying is not the same as saying many, or too many of them are lying.

The number of both women (and men) who are coming forward with sexual assault allegations is much higher than ever. As a society we've made a lot progress in that regard. Both in better legally framing what sexual assault is and in very much encouraging people to come forward, as well in trying to protect them afterwards. Which has led to an eye-opener in terms of the real scope of the problem, because in the past it was flying a bit under the radar mainly due to it being under-reported by women for fear of repercussions.

I don't think a handful of false allegations change that trend in the slightest. I hate Trumps rhetoric on this and it is a regressive force of course, but I don't see anything that suggests he would act differently if it weren't for handful of liars. He would still be the same old twat.

Halftrack

Again, I haven't seen anyone from the right come out and say there's a big problem with women lying. Accusing a particular woman of lying is not the same as saying many, or too many of them are lying.

The number of both women (and men) who are coming forward with sexual assault allegations is much higher than ever. As a society we've made a lot progress in that regard. Both in better legally framing what sexual assault is and in very much encouraging people to come forward, as well in trying to protect them afterwards. Which has led to an eye-opener in terms of the real scope of the problem, because in the past it was flying a bit under the radar mainly due to it being under-reported by women for fear of repercussions.

I don't think a handful of false allegations change that trend in the slightest. I hate Trumps rhetoric on this and it is a regressive force of course, but I don't see anything that suggests he would act differently if it weren't for handful of liars. He would still be the same old twat.
The US president himself stood in front of a crowd and warned of the dangers of women falsely accusing men of sexual assault to ruin their lives, and his supporters have been parroting that shit. In fact, since the #MeToo campaign started, a lot of (predominantly) conservative voices have been warning against the dangers of false accusations (despite, as you say, the actual number of false accusations being vanishingly small). The fact that one of Kavanaugh's accusers has admitted to lying about it(never mind that her accusations were given no attention, on account of them not being credible) will only feed into the idea that women lying about these things is common.

It probably won't have a big effect (hopefully), but if the regressives succeed in pushing something like this into the headlines and start banging on about how unfair it is that men can have their lives ruined by evil women through false accusations, I don't thinks it's silly to suggest that it could lead to some women thinking twice, or deciding against coming forward.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The US president himself stood in front of a crowd and warned of the dangers of women falsely accusing men of sexual assault to ruin their lives, and his supporters have been parroting that shit. In fact, since the #MeToo campaign started, a lot of (predominantly) conservative voices have been warning against the dangers of false accusations (despite, as you say, the actual number of false accusations being vanishingly small). The fact that one of Kavanaugh's accusers has admitted to lying about it(never mind that her accusations were given no attention, on account of them not being credible) will only feed into the idea that women lying about these things is common.

It probably won't have a big effect (hopefully), but if the regressives succeed in pushing something like this into the headlines and start banging on about how unfair it is that men can have their lives ruined by evil women through false accusations, I don't thinks it's silly to suggest that it could lead to some women thinking twice, or deciding against coming forward.
And if they do summon the courage, they'll find themselves facing traditionally self-interested, male authorities.

Andrew~

Ignorning the politics, doesn't this case prove that they are kind of right? Just like actual sexual assault and rape aren't happening in every corner, the effect on the victims is huge, so whether the number is high or low is kind of irrelevant.

I mean, an example is the US justice system in general; statistically it probably looks pretty functional and wrongful convictions make up a small percentage of cases, but go tell that to George Stinney's family.