Julian Alvarez

poleglass red

Think faith part is an issue with us. We sign all these young players like Amad but for some reasons they are not first team ready and we have to loan them out for couple seasons. We are targeting the wrong players or we have no faith in the players we sign.
I get your point but, Alvarez was 22 by the time he got to City, he'd played 57 times for the best team in their league. Diallo was 19 and had 4 games for Atalanta

Crimson King

Because he should be playing every single game at this age.
Yeah it is a bit odd. It doesn't matter how good he gets, I can't see him ever being first choice over Haaland, when the Norwegian is fit. Maybe Pep will take the game back to 442? Seems unlikely...

Great option for them to have, obviously, but feels like he should have come to Europe and joined a team where he'd be playing regular, or at least competing with a striker who's in the twilight of their career.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well, argentinian economy being shit since the early 2000s doesn't help either.
Yup.
Brazil will basically make the Copa Libertadores its backyard trophy, Argentina can't compete with Brazil at financial level.
It's already happening. If there weren't some big distances to fly to Mexico or USA Libertadores to gain other level should merge with CONCACAF, but it's terrible by logistic reasons. Brazilian clubs play a lot of games, if they had to travel to Mexico or the United States would be a nightmare.
talent that they are losing, and one of the reason, not the only, it's because gaming has gone mainstream in Argentina, kids are more exposed to videogames since early age, and that is hampering the talent pool definitely.
Yes but Argentina still has numbers to produce top talent, the issue of kids not playing this days and focusing more on gaming or social media is much worse in Europe, and the populations there are younger, more kids to play the game.

Last Montaigu Tournament (generation 2006) I had the chance to see Portugal vs Argentina, Argentina beat Portugal 3:0 easily, and a Portugal team who had beaten France before, majority of Portugal players were top talent from Benfica and Sporting.

That Final was Brazil vs Argentina and Endrick from Palmeiras was something else. The guy from Argentina who called my attention was a kid from Velez, Prestiani, think it was his name.

Pocho

Still Betis had some players on the WC no? Wasn't Pellegrini once a coach at River? Or was it San Lorenzo? By the way, who replaced Gallardo?
yes, but so did River with De La Cruz and Armani, of course it don’t mean much but I’m not sure that mid table Europe teams would have a walk in Libertadores. Pellegrini coached both San Lorenzo and River

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
yes, but so did River with De La Cruz and Armani, of course it don’t mean much but I’m not sure that mid table Europe teams would have a walk in Libertadores. Pellegrini coached both San Lorenzo and River
I am not dismissing top clubs in Argentina and even less Brazil, it's always hard to play against Flamengo, Palmeiras, Atletico Mineiro, River, Boca, even if I didn't liked what I saw at Boca recently, they looked better under Ibarra, but compared with the Boca teams under Bianchi it's hard to say is vintage Boca.

Would say River is more advanced at this stage because Gallardo was there many years, and Boca had some weak coaches, still better wait to see if Ibarra will be better for them.

But it will be hard for Boca or even River when basically Flamengo alone can spend more in players even than Palmeiras, Corinthians, let alone River or Boca, next time someone from Benfica tries to sign a Enzo ask for 40 million euros instead 20, until they give up.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yup.

Yes but Argentina still has numbers to produce top talent, the issue of kids not playing this days and focusing more on gaming or social media is much worse in Europe, and the populations there are younger, more kids to play the game.
Like Brazil, big european countries have the money and infrastructure to make up for it, Argentina doesn't though.
That certainly marks the difference though.

Of course eventually they will produce one top player here and there, but way less often than what they did 20 years ago...the quality Argentina produced through the 80s,90s, and 2000s was insane.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Like Brazil, big european countries have the money and infrastructure to make up for it, Argentina doesn't though.
That certainly marks the difference though.

Of course eventually they will produce one top player here and there, but way less often than what they did 20 years ago...the quality Argentina produced through the 80s,90s, and 2000s was insane.
Beside what they produced I remember the Pekerman era for Argentina Youth NT's and their performances at under 20 WC's was insane, and the level of players too.

But I feel somethings are improving recently on their Youth NT's but I put Brazil above them, they have a insane number of football clubs and Academies, their pool of talent to recruit players only can be matched by France, not Argentina. With all respect for Argentina.

Pocho

I am not dismissing top clubs in Argentina and even less Brazil, it's always hard to play against Flamengo, Palmeiras, Atletico Mineiro, River, Boca, even if I didn't liked what I saw at Boca recently, they looked better under Ibarra, but compared with the Boca teams under Bianchi it's hard to say is vintage Boca.

Would say River is more advanced at this stage because Gallardo was there many years, and Boca had some weak coaches, still better wait to see if Ibarra will be better for them.

But it will be hard for Boca or even River when basically Flamengo alone can spend more in players even than Palmeiras, Corinthians, let alone River or Boca, next time someone from Benfica tries to sign a Enzo ask for 40 million euros instead 20, until they give up.
Nono, it wasn't for you what I said about mid table Europe teams. We, River fans are very happy that we won in 2015 and 2018 cause we know that now it will be almost impossible for Argentine teams to achieve anything at South American level.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nono, it wasn't for you what I said about mid table Europe teams. We, River fans are very happy that we won in 2015 and 2018 cause we know that now it will be almost impossible for Argentine teams to achieve anything at South American level.
Don't want to be pessimistic here but for me the real chance River had was in 2019 vs Flamengo and 2020 against Palmeiras, a game where even Abel the Palmeiras coach said they were completely outplayed and Gallardo was the best coach he faced in South America.

As stupid it may sound, the situation clubs from Argentina face now is similar to what Portugal and Dutch clubs face in Europe, sell your best players to top Leagues, sometimes do a good Champions League but in the end you know it will be City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid who will win it.

Only solution is for River to sell their top talent to Europe instead letting them go to Brazil rivals in Libertadores, but if you sell a Enzo for 20 and the other clubs 12 months later sells by 80 or 100 next time they come ask for 40.

Isn't Francescoli your Vice President?

Last edited:

Pocho

Don't want to be pessimistic here but for me the real chance River had was in 2019 vs Flamengo and 2020 against Palmeiras, a game where even Abel the Palmeiras coach said they were completely outplayed and Gallardo was the best coach he faced in South America.

As stupid it may sound, the situation clubs from Argentina face now is similar to what Portugal and Dutch clubs face in Europe, sell your best players to top Leagues, sometimes do a good Champions League but in the end you know it will be City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid who will win it.

Only solution is for River to sell their top talent to Europe instead letting them go to Brazil rivals in Libertadores, but if you sell a Enzo for 20 and the other clubs 12 months later sells by 80 or 100 next time they come ask for 40.

Isn't Francescoli your Vice President?
sad. But this could mean that Boca isn’t winning shit either so maybe isn’t that bad at the end of the day. Haha. River still have 25% of Enzo
Francescoli is our Football Manager or CEO, can’t tell in English his exact position.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
sad. But this could mean that Boca isn’t winning shit either so maybe isn’t that bad at the end of the day. Haha. River still have 25% of Enzo
Francescoli is our Football Manager or CEO, can’t tell in English his exact position.
25% of Enzo if they sell him by a huge sum will be interesting for River. Hopefully won't be a River/Benfica partnership for the future because those feckers know how to sell big to top leagues.

Pocho

25% of Enzo if they sell him by a huge sum will be interesting for River. Hopefully won't be a River/Benfica partnership for the future because those feckers know how to sell big to top leagues.
huge money for Argentina, maybe it could be the bigger income for an argentine club in the history of the game.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
huge money for Argentina, maybe it could be the bigger income for an argentine club in the history of the game.
Interesting connection here. Riquelme Boca President, Francescoli River CEO and Rui Costa Benfica President, the connection of former number 10's.

Pocho

Interesting connection here. Riquelme Boca President, Francescoli River CEO and Rui Costa Benfica President, the connection of former number 10's.
Yeahh. Riquelme is Vice President but nobody knows the President at all

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I wonder how large his ambitions run, he should be asking for a transfer unless pep finds a way to regularly play him with haland.

stoinz

I get your point but, Alvarez was 22 by the time he got to City, he'd played 57 times for the best team in their league. Diallo was 19 and had 4 games for Atalanta
True that. Maybe it would be bet
Think a lot of clubs were in for Alvarez but in short, having Pep as manager and having a reputation for winning/competing for prizes gives you an edge - which is why I’m hoping ten Hag is super successful with us. Players would start wanting to play for us as well, as opposed to attracting players with inflated contracts only!
There is another issue I see with us. Even if we beat all competitions to sign the best young prospect, I'm not sure we are the best club to develop them. Imagine if we have gotten Bellingham and Haaland before them signing for Dortmund, we would have loan them out, or play them at reserve team.

To be fair, it is not unreasonable for us to be risk adversed because the stakes are so so high for us that we cannot risk giving untested players a run of games. Maybe we should avoid targeting these sort of players in future, save the transfer kit for proven stars that we are more comfortable putting them into the first team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Interesting situation with him. He is clearly no1 choice material for most of clubs. Haaland is undisputed no1 choice in City and is one of the rare in that team who is immune on Pep's rotation (i would not be surprised if that is even in his contract).
So what is Alvarez thinking? To play 10-15 minutes per game (and out of position) next 2-3 years and pray that Haaland fecks off to Real?

CM

Interesting situation with him. He is clearly no1 choice material for most of clubs. Haaland is undisputed no1 choice in City and is one of the rare in that team who is immune on Pep's rotation (i would not be surprised if that is even in his contract).
So what is Alvarez thinking? To play 10-15 minutes per game (and out of position) next 2-3 years and pray that Haaland fecks off to Real?
He'll fill the Gabriel Jesus role from previous seasons. He'll play on the wing when Haaland is in the team and move central when they look to rest him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They'll probably just flip him for profit in a season or two like Ferran Torres.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he an out and out striker like Haaland? What's his best position?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He'll fill the Gabriel Jesus role from previous seasons. He'll play on the wing when Haaland is in the team and move central when they look to rest him.
I know. I wonder how long he will be happy with it?

Jam

I wonder how large his ambitions run, he should be asking for a transfer unless pep finds a way to regularly play him with haland.
Here's a way: Football Heritage.

FOUR. FOUR. FECKING. TWO.

Do it Pep. Bring it back.

Ekeke

He started at City getting starts on the left and before last season he played on the wing for River. He can and will play there as needed and will be happy to do so for trophies

Lee565

He will be another Jesus for city, he will be a rotational attacker, score a fair amount of goals at the club and then be sold a year or two done the line for the double the price they paid

kidbob

He has to be regretting the move at this point. He could be starting for us, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea yet he is sitting on the bench watching Haaland stink it up for game after game lately with very few minutes to prove himself. Such a waste of a young career. @padr81 any idea why he doesn't get used more?

padr81

Supports
Man City
He has to be regretting the move at this point. He could be starting for us, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea yet he is sitting on the bench watching Haaland stink it up for game after game lately with very few minutes to prove himself. Such a waste of a young career. @padr81 any idea why he doesn't get used more?
Not a clue, Honestly he should be playing. I don't think he's quite at the level alot people think on here but that said he's criminally under used at City. The fact we continuously leave him out is weird though, tonight was crying out for his and Fodens workrate.

kidbob

Not a clue, Honestly he should be playing. I don't think he's quite at the level alot people think on here but that said he's criminally under used at City. The fact we continuously leave him out is weird though, tonight was crying out for his and Fodens workrate.
Yeah I don't think hes amazing or anything but the fact he didn't come on tonight is a surprise. Think if he wants to reach his potential he needs to be playing for a team week in week out.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah I don't think hes amazing or anything but the fact he didn't come on tonight is a surprise. Think if he wants to reach his potential he needs to be playing for a team week in week out.
I've seen Pep do this before with Bernardo etc.. no idea why but the issue for Alvarez is his route to 1st choice I think he was expecting a battle vs Jesus and then Haaland got brought in. I'd imagine he'll be thinking about next season, if he's not playing by then he could well be off next christmas.

Ekeke

How would City play him and Haaland at the same time? Is Haaland ever subbed?
Start of the season he was used on the left wing with Haaland up front. Wide striker role. He also played as a winger for River before his 1 big goal scoring season up front

So yes, not only can he play with Haaland but Pep has done it and threw him straight in during the first games.

Why he isnt doing it now? Who knows? He didnt like Cancelo for ages, then Cancelo got a starting place and then he became one of City's most important attacking players, then his form dropped he got dropped and was shifted out of the club. So players can go from not being rated, getting their chance, then one of the important names on the teamsheet and then pep can want rid of them. When Alvarez was picked on the left, obviously it looked bad for Grealish who wasnt playing at the time. Now Grealish is playing and in more favour so that might be part of it. Still doesnt explain why he didnt come off the bench though