Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

RUCK4444

Is there another league in football with a single side so dominant in every single aspect?

I don’t know what they can do about it either, although the Germans on here seem pleased about the whole thing so maybe nothing needs to be done.
What makes the league worse though is the other clubs are almost supportive of them, I honestly think they look at them and are proud to have a top European side from Germany and so they allow German players and managers to be ushered into the Bayern fold. Strange.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I always thought he saw that as his end goal, or at least another stepping stone away, and now it looks like he'll do it before turning 35? :lol:
He was offered to be with Bayern back when Pep was there and turned them down:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-prodigy-thomas-tuchel-rejected-bayern-munich. I think this was before he was a manager so it was an offer as a coach, but it's nice to see he was able to focus on his development in coaching where he was first before considering a coaching role with a big club. Not many people do that regardless of whether it's a manager, coach or player.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The stranglehold Bayern have on that league is a sight to behold, it’s as though the entire Bundesliga exist for no other reason than to support them.
Would be a very good move for him, interesting to see if he can get serial winning superstars to buy into his methods.
This. At least in La Liga you have two teams battling it out for the league, with Atheltico as a dark horse. Bundesliga is basically Bayern + 17 farmer clubs

It might be that the pressure gets to him and he fails spectacularly, but imo its more likely that hes going to be the youngest manager ever to win the CL

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The stranglehold Bayern have on that league is a sight to behold, it’s as though the entire Bundesliga exist for no other reason than to support them.
Would be a very good move for him, interesting to see if he can get serial winning superstars to buy into his methods.
What makes you say that?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
-Dortmund buys Rose (Gladbach)
-Gladbach buys Hütter (Frankfurt)
-Bayern buys Nagelsmann (Leipzig) -> "Oh no the horrors, the whole league only exists to support them".... what? :houllier: :D

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Every job Nagelsmann was ever going to do before coming to us was always just going to be an audition for the Bayern job

Here's just hoping that he accepts a club-appointed stylist

That is the only serious stumbling block I see, he might demand too much say over his wardrobe

Last edited:

shahzy

Is there another league in football with a single side so dominant in every single aspect?

I don’t know what they can do about it either, although the Germans on here seem pleased about the whole thing so maybe nothing needs to be done.
PSG is the only one i can think of. Some may argue Man City as well but at least sometimes other teams pop up and win ie: Liverpool, Leicester.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
:lol: Yea mate let's ignore Dortmund poaching the Gladbach manager who are their direct competitors

JPRouve

Scout
PSG is the only one i can think of. Some may argue Man City as well but at least sometimes other teams pop up and win ie: Liverpool, Leicester.
Juventus won the league more often than PSG but the best example is Lyon, during the 2000s Lyon had totally control of the league and the internal transfer market.

JPRouve

Scout
:lol: Yea mate let's ignore Dortmund poaching the Gladbach manager who are their direct competitors
That's the thing that I don't get. Dortmund actually poaches players from their rivals almost every single summer, they use their financial strength mainly within germany while Bayern mainly purchase abroad with a few key signings within Bundesliga but it's Bayern that has the reputation of doing what Dortmund actual does.

Pep's Suit

But so many fans would tell you 50+1 is the only way how to move forward but BuLi is so great and entertaining.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nagelsmann ends up at Bayern with Haaland to follow.
They are just too strong for the rest of the teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
-Dortmund buys Rose (Gladbach)
-Gladbach buys Hütter (Frankfurt)
-Bayern buys Nagelsmann (Leipzig) -> "Oh no the horrors, the whole league only exists to support them".... what? :houllier: :D
Are you suggesting there isn't a clear hierarchy in Germany because that would be foolish. Even what you've written there reads like an ABC of career steps to Bayern Munich. The only surprise is when Bayern look outside of/skip the Dortmund step

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's the thing that I don't get. Dortmund actually poaches players from their rivals almost every single summer, they use their financial strength mainly within germany while Bayern mainly purchase abroad with a few key signings within Bundesliga but it's Bayern that has the reputation of doing what Dortmund actual does.
Exactly, thank you.
In recent years Dortmund bought way more players from direct competitors than Bayern. Yet, as you say, the pulic consensus is different. It's a narrative that has some truth to it (thinking of Ballack, Zé Roberto and Lucio we got from Leverkusen or Karlsruhe if we want to look further into the past) but that was heavily inflated by the inferiority complex by Dortmunds staff and fans from 2010 to ~2015.

Every week Klopp, Zorc and Watzke cried in interviews about the financial advantage that Bayern has. Klopp even accused us of stealing his superior, never before seen tactics. And of course having more money than him and stealing his tactics is the only way to beat them. At least that was, what they claimed again and again: "Bayern only wins because they have more money and can buy players off of their direct competitors."

You can see how successful they were in transporting this message, because it's not only common in germany across fans of all clubs, but as we can read here on Redcafe or Twitter the international opinion seems to be the same.
At least in germany the tides may turn slowly. Fans of many clubs called out Dortmund's hypocrisy after buying Rose.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

€1mil for every year of age?

It's the same 4-5 sad users copy pasting the same circle jerk of ignorant statements in every thread remotely connected to German football. Just ignore them, there is no point engaging.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Are you suggesting there isn't a clear hierarchy in Germany because that would be foolish. Even what you've written there reads like an ABC of career steps to Bayern Munich. The only surprise is when Bayern look outside of/skip the Dortmund step
Of course there is.
But if you say the Bundesliga is just a farmers league of 17 teams feeding Bayern, you can also argue that it's a farmers league for Dortmund and Leipzig with 15 clubs feeding them and only Bayern above them in the "food chain".
Why are Bayern called out every time they buy a player or coach of a direct competitor (it's not like it happens every year...) but if Dortmund/Leipzig/Gladbach/Leverkusen do it, it's "smart business"?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's impossible to derail this narrative, apparently. I assume everyone of us has tried at least once.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Will be interesting to see how Nagelsmann deals with big players and also Bayern board.

30 million would be a huge fee, especially in covid time.

OleBoiii

I can't imagine the 1st place PL team signing the manager of the 2nd place PL team. Particularly not when the season isn't even over. Selling players to direct rivals so consistently also seem strange.

Having said that: can't we just accept that things work differently in Germany? Perhaps there's a logical explanation for all this. Maybe the players want to stay in the Bundesliga, rather than go abroad? Maybe the offers from the German teams sometimes simply are better? And maybe German teams realise that it's pointless to keep players that want to leave on the bench or force them out of the country if they want to stay?

For me, the biggest issue with the league is its lack of competitiveness in the last decade. Bayern are about to win their 9th title in a row. That's not fun for neutral watchers, imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it's more the fact that as soon as Dortmund became a genuine threat they poached 3 of their best players. That sticks with people's minds more than the average Bundesliga transfer.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Will be interesting to see how Nagelsmann deals with big players and also Bayern board.

30 million would be a huge fee, especially in covid time.
30m is crazy, we'll never pay that much.

As for the first point, as amazing as Nagelsmann has been, it is still a considerable risk (as is every appointment). He's never been under anywhere near the kind of pressure before.

But honestly, he was born to manage Bayern. He basically could have gone to school with Müller, is almost from the same village.

And if he fails now, he can always try again in 5, 10, 20 years.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
People don't want to see stuff like this. They only have Götze, Lewandowski and Hummels (although these transfers were bad, very good and average) in mind and forget everything else. The narrative won't change until Bayern starts losing domestic titles, but even then many people won't accept it. Funny enough many Man Utd fans also tend to forget that they bought Dortmund players and want to keep buying Dortmund players. But they will never realise that buying clubs from outside Germany are a huge problem nowadays for clubs like Dortmund, Leipzig, Gladbach and Frankfurt and the likes but not so much Bayern.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

As for the first point, as amazing as Nagelsmann has been, it is still a considerable risk (as is every appointment). He's never been under anywhere near the kind of pressure before.

But honestly, he was born to manage Bayern. He basically could have gone to school with Müller, is almost from the same village.

I don't think "if he fails, he can try later" is always true for young managers. For example, Andreas Villas Boas was the next big manager (he was also great when he was 32-33 winning Europa league treble with Porto) who was praised/hyped around 2011. I think Chelsea even paid 15 million to sign him. Then its went downhill so quickly.

I hope Nagelsmann won't go the same route. Also he looks lot more prepared and planned for his next career steps rejecting big clubs already.

Godfather

Fair fecks to Bayern for giving him a chance. Such a progressive and well run club.

One can only hope we have a close look at them and learn how a football club should be managed

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

It does seemed unlikely that Bayern would allow themselves to be fleeced by Flick, DFB and Leipzig. But if the Hansi managed to successfully burn bridges there they might be a bit screwed for once.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Regarding the topic:
I have to say that I'm not 100% sold on Nagelsmann. He is of course a very good coach, but i sometimes wonder what his reputation would be like if he was already 50 years old.

At Hoffenheim he impressed me more with the way the team played. What he has done at Leipzig was good, no doubt about that, but to be honest I expected even more of him at Leipzig. The results and achievements (CL semi final) are good, but I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the way Leipzig plays. They were more entertaining under Rangnick and Hasenhüttl.

Giggsyking

What makes the league worse though is the other clubs are almost supportive of them, I honestly think they look at them and are proud to have a top European side from Germany and so they allow German players and managers to be ushered into the Bayern fold. Strange.
Exactly, the other teams and their fans are spinless. All of them are owned by Munich.

JPRouve

Scout
I think it's more the fact that as soon as Dortmund became a genuine threat they poached 3 of their best players. That sticks with people's minds more than the average Bundesliga transfer.
Lewandoski was leaving on a free whether it was to Bayern or Real Madrid, as was Gotze and Hummels is a Bayern product who decided that he wanted to go back and only had one year left in his contract. Otherwise Dortmund got dismantled by foreign clubs with Sahin, Kagawa, Gundogan, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang or Diallo all leaving for foreign clubs.

The one thing that Bayern has and is going to be very difficult to change is that they are the only german club that can compete with top foreign clubs on the wage market, which means that any top german/Buli player that wants to stay in Germany for personal reason has one option, get a transfer to Bayern or sign for them as a free agent.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It does seemed unlikely that Bayern would allow themselves to be fleeced by Flick, DFB and Leipzig. But if the Hansi managed to successfully burn bridges there they might be a bit screwed for once.
It will all be somewhere in the middle. Of course we will have to pay much more for Nagelsmann than we will get for Flick. (His contract is also one year longer, just for the basics). But I don't think we'll get nothing for Flick while having to fork out 30m.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Of course there is.
But if you say the Bundesliga is just a farmers league of 17 teams feeding Bayern, you can also argue that it's a farmers league for Dortmund and Leipzig with 15 clubs feeding them and only Bayern above them in the "food chain".
Why are Bayern called out every time they buy a player or coach of a direct competitor (it's not like it happens every year...) but if Dortmund/Leipzig/Gladbach/Leverkusen do it, it's "smart business"?
Bayern will always get more attention, no one really cares about Dortmund (for example) beyond which players that can be bought because their model is literally a feeder clubs for others

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't think "if he fails, he can try later" is always true for young managers. For example, Andreas Villas Boas was the next big manager (he was also great when he was 32-33 winning Europa league treble with Porto) who was praised/hyped around 2011. I think Chelsea even paid 15 million to sign him. Then its went downhill so quickly.

I hope Nagelsmann won't go the same route. Also he looks lot more prepared and planned for his next career steps rejecting big clubs already.
I honestly don't see him failing in the sense of "crash and burn", like AVB at Chelsea.
Again, the intimacy in terms of socialization means a lot. He's a Bavarian. He's like those guys at the club.

But he might turn out to disappoint in relation to expectations, to varying degrees.

I just hopes he scraps his obnoxious three man defense nonsense. It's not a formation for a big team. And dresses tolerably.
That's all I ask.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It will all be somewhere in the middle. Of course we will have to pay much more for Nagelsmann than we will get for Flick. (His contract is also one year longer, just for the basics). But I don't think we'll get nothing for Flick while having to fork out 30m.
According to "Transfermarkt" both coaches have contracts until 2023. And I think under usual circumstances Bayern would just tap up the seagull for 23 and then tell DFB and Flick that it's their problem to sort things out with Leipzig. So really paying anything at all constitutes as being done dirty by the other parties involved. €30m does sound excessive and I don't see them pay that for any coach, the precedent could just end up being too costly. But if Leipzig want to play hard ball, as is their right and probably their best option if Nagelsmann shows more loyalty than Flick, I don't really see what Bayern can do other than try to force Flick into another season.