Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rabiot & Lavia would be nice
That would be fantastic.

If Rabiot can perform at the same level he's done for Juve this season, then that would be great business.

Eriksen is a fantastic player and he makes us tick, but he lacks the defensive attributes off the ball. Rabiot, on his he's form, would give us that.

As for Lavia, he's a tremendous young player. His use of the ball and ability to keep it under pressure is so impressive. He'd be a great understudy to Casemiro.

croadyman

That would be fantastic.

If Rabiot can perform at the same level he's done for Juve this season, then that would be great business.

Eriksen is a fantastic player and he makes us tick, but he lacks the defensive attributes off the ball. Rabiot, on his he's form, would give us that.

As for Lavia, he's a tremendous young player. His use of the ball and ability to keep it under pressure is so impressive. He'd be a great understudy to Casemiro.
Will the club be put off by those shenanigans involving Veronique last summer. Despite all that personally feel signing him on a free is absolute no brainer but have doubts we will

Walters_19_MuFc

Will the club be put off by those shenanigans involving Veronique last summer. Despite all that personally feel signing him on a free is absolute no brainer but have doubts we will
I can't imagine so, as a deal was agreed between the two clubs last season.

It broke down because of the absurd wages Rabiot and his mom were demanding, but with him being available on a free this summer, then we'd probably be able to offer him a bit more.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’d rather we got the CB from Napoli. A lot more expensive I know but miles better quality.
Is he even a lot more expensive? He has a 43m release clause and I reckon Timber will cost 35-40m at least. I think it would be pretty stupid of us if we are in for a defender and we don't compete for Kim

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is he even a lot more expensive? He has a 43m release clause and I reckon Timber will cost 35-40m at least. I think it would be pretty stupid of us if we are in for a defender and we don't compete for Kim
Kim has a 43m release clause? Didn’t realise that. They’ll be a lot of competition for him then.

bosskeano

Kim’s release clause will be available to be triggered from the 1st of July to the 15th of July and while it stands at around €50 million

ti vu

I reckon timber will cost no more then 45m.
With how Ajax was able to have us pay good fee for Antony and Martinez, it's more likely than not for Ajax to demand Martinez like fee for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Kim has a 43m release clause? Didn’t realise that. They’ll be a lot of competition for him then.
Technically, Timber might be considered cheaper even at 45m because you cannot pay the release clause in installments. So we need to actually pay 43m at once to Napoli if we want to active Kim's release clause. As for Timber, we can pay the 45m in installment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Can we have a CB pairing of Martinez and Timbre going up against Haaland?
To be fair, they both stopped Haaland together at Ajax last season played vs Dortmund. I think when playing against City, whoever playing as striker wouldn't be the big concern, the main concern should be stopping their top quality playmakers to create great quality chances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can we have a CB pairing of Martinez and Timbre going up against Haaland?
Haalands isn't really that good at heading. 38th percentile for winning aerial duels. His threat is his strength on the ground and pace in behind, Martinez and Timber compliment each other very well in terms of aggressiveness and pace/agility and functional strength which is more important than being big.

ti vu

To be fair, they both stopped Haaland together at Ajax last season played vs Dortmund. I think when playing against City, whoever playing as striker wouldn't be the big concern, the main concern should be stopping their top quality playmakers to create great quality chances.
They didn't stop him. Ajax luckily didn't concede. They won some battles, but Haaland caused enough havoc by himself that on another game, he could easily have gotten himself a hattrick. Haaland was out injured for second game.

Agree that stopping City and Haaland is about stopping the play. Not just defending against shot, chances. Easy said than done, because Haaland himself with his freak athleticism and physicality is difficult to stop.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They didn't stop him. Ajax luckily didn't concede. They won some battles, but Haaland caused enough havoc by himself that on another game, he could easily have gotten himself a hattrick. Haaland was out injured for second game.

Agree that stopping City and Haaland is about stopping the play. Not just defending against shot, chances. Easy said than done, because Haaland himself with his freak athleticism and physicality is difficult to stop.
Based on the video he struggled to get past them and struggled to even pass the ball. They gave him difficult angle to shoot which helped the keeper as well.

ti vu

Haalands isn't really that good at heading. 38th percentile for winning aerial duels. His threat is his strength on the ground and pace in behind, Martinez and Timber compliment each other very well in terms of aggressiveness and pace/agility and functional strength which is more important than being big.
Forwards are not that favored in aerial duel from his own GK kick. Haaland scored a decent amount of heading goal that he is considered an aerial threat for cross. He scored a header against us in that hattrick. KDB is one of the best crosser of the ball in PL, so it's difficult to defend him if it's Timber. Even Martinez got into situation where no amount of good anticipation, athleticism can help against a forward who has same level of those ability.

And I am not sure aerial duel stats would cover something like this goal:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sgrkunLOiJA

Aerobatic finishing is part of an aerial threat.

ti vu

Based on the video he struggled to get past them and struggled to even pass the ball. They gave him difficult angle to shoot which helped the keeper as well.
If you compare to how Liverpool shut down Haaland in the game at Anfield, or us in our home victory against this season, then you distinguish about stopping Haaland and luckily closing him down enough he didn't score.

Ajax was the more dominant team in this game. Haaland often being isolated. He had this much opening, and shooting chances IMO is not a great defensive performance. It would not be good against when Haaland being supported by a dominant team, give him chances he has advantage over his marker.

Another comparison is against Darwin Nunez, they stopped him, but tactically Timber got found out when Nunez scored from a corner of the fewest chances Benfica could create. Haaland scored a header in his hattrick against us. ETH weirdly assigned Eriksen to mark Haaland even when we had McTominay and Varane for this game. Imagine a game where Timber is in Varane place. It would be difficult to assign man marking defensing set piece.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Id be dissapointed if ten hag only targeted ajax & the dutch national team

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you compare to how Liverpool shut down Haaland in the game at Anfield, or us in our home victory against this season, then you distinguish about stopping Haaland and luckily closing him down enough he didn't score.

Ajax was the more dominant team in this game. Haaland often being isolated. He had this much opening, and shooting chances IMO is not a great defensive performance. It would not be good against when Haaland being supported by a dominant team, give him chances he has advantage over his marker.

Another comparison is against Darwin Nunez, they stopped him, but tactically Timber got found out when Nunez scored from a corner of the fewest chances Benfica could create. Haaland scored a header in his hattrick against us. ETH weirdly assigned Eriksen to mark Haaland even when we had McTominay and Varane for this game. Imagine a game where Timber is in Varane place. It would be difficult to assign man marking defensing set piece.
Stopping Man City isn't about shutting down Haaland but stopping the services. And this is not down to centre backs but down to the whole team including midfield and forwards in how they deal with Man City's midfield, winger, and defense.

Ironically, Haaland at City is known as striker that rarely touch the ball but this conception doesn't apply to Haaland when he was at Dortmund, this is down to the team's playing style. Man City approached the game with possession based in the midfield and defense and waited patiently, while Haaland isn't playing in false 9 role, as a result of this, Haaland doesn't get lot of touches. On contrary, Dortmund approached more quick counter attack when playing against Ajax means when they win the ball, their aim is to give the long ball to Haaland and let him do his own things.

In addition, Ajax approached their game with very high line, as a result, Ajax will be more vulnerable defensively in the naked eyes. But when we played against City, we didn't approach the game as brave as Ajax, as a result, you saw it less vulnerable defensively.

Defending set pieces isn't the initial argument here as it was just my response about whether these two can stop Haaland (which they did). But if that's what you want to add into argument then all I can say is we shouldn't rely alone on centre back in defending set pieces. There are always other players that can provide cover. For example, Keeper who is willing to come out from the box and capable to claim crossing also giving balance for this issue. If our other signings are tall players for example like Rabiot and Osimhen/Kane, they both are also giving balance during the set pieces. .

ti vu

Stopping Man City isn't about shutting down Haaland but stopping the services. And this is not down to centre backs but down to the whole team including midfield and forwards in how they deal with Man City's midfield, winger, and defense.

Ironically, Haaland at City is known as striker that rarely touch the ball but this conception doesn't apply to Haaland when he was at Dortmund, this is down to the team's playing style. Man City approached the game with possession based in the midfield and defense and waited patiently, while Haaland isn't playing in false 9 role, as a result of this, Haaland doesn't get lot of touches. On contrary, Dortmund approached more quick counter attack when playing against Ajax means when they win the ball, their aim is to give the long ball to Haaland and let him do his own things.

In addition, Ajax approached their game with very high line, as a result, Ajax will be more vulnerable defensively in the naked eyes. But when we played against City, we didn't approach the game as brave as Ajax, as a result, you saw it less vulnerable defensively.

Defending from set pieces doesn't need to be relied on defenders. For example, Keeper who is willing to come out from the box and capable to claim crossing also giving balance for this issue. If our other signings are tall players for example like Rabiot and Osimhen/Kane, they both are also giving balance during the set pieces. .
Haaland didn't touch the ball that much. That clip is all his touches in that game. That'a not a lot of touches for a game. It's not just looking threatening, Haaland got to pull the trigger. ETH didn't choose to be adventurous against Haaland for shite and giggle, then played more pragmatic against other teams. Ajax doesn't give much opening, chances away to other teams. It's Haaland causing Timber and Martinez trouble. Even when Ajax was leading then won by 4-0 scoreline, they couldn't stop his threat.

City issue is more about their reluctant to deliver service as often as possible. Not that they can't work out a tiny opening and take chance and let Haaland does his thing. That's still for some other games, not all. The game against Liverpool at Anfield, Haaland was marked out of the game in all type of situation. City didn't try to provide service to Haaland. VVD had a good game sniffing out the danger, and pocketing Haaland.

Ajax when Nunez scored that tie decider goal had Onana in goal (proactive GK), Haller, Mazraouii, Alvarez to help offset for their two CBs. Still got questionable man marking assignment. In fact , Onana was desperately jumping out to punch the corner, but Nunez got to it where Timber flat footed and well beaten.

Edit: Rabiot added Some help, but I don't believe he's that great aerially. Kane is similar. He helped, but he's not the type that going physical and dominate in 50/50 situation defending aerial defensively. His success on the other end aerially is his ability to ghost and move taking advantage of defender's blindspot.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To compete with City and beat them over the course of a season, it's not only about stopping City from playing their game but also exerting ourselves on the game where City also ask the questions about how they can stop us from playing our game and how their players in the defensive phase attempt to shackle our striker.

Because without carrying a high level threat in possession, I don't believe we will beat City. And to stop City from playing their game, we must also develop our game in possession which will have the potential to hurt City. So for me it's about signing players who are comfortable against the press, because otherwise we'll be doing more defending than attacking. Ajax beat Dortmund comfortably due to defending proactively and exerting control in possession which started from their back line of Pasveer, Timber, Martinez, Blind and Mazraoui.

We have to create a situation where City are asking questions about stopping us from playing our game. Or otherwise we'll carry on playing second fiddle to them due to having too many weak players on the ball in the first phase of the build up.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yeap -- especially after spending a season in the PL, surely his horizons have expanded?
Yeah this is why I gave him the benefit of doubt on Antony & Malacia - maybe on his first season he wanted to take a less of a risk and get some players he knows or has kept an eye on.

However we can’t go in to our next transfer windows with that kind of mentality either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's definitely true that we shouldn't just be signing Dutch players and Ajax players based on ETH's whims.

At the same time, even if you were select targets to suit an ETH side completely independently and without any input whatsoever from ETH himself, a player like Timber would be appearing high on your list regardless. Because he's good enough to be linked with top level sides and (obviously) a great fit for ETH's brand of football.

You're not going to discount that obvious fit just because he's another Ajax player.

DarkRed

There is a chance we will go 3 at a back with him, same as Pep is playing, two small technical CBs on the sides and a big one in the center.

daba

There is a chance we will go 3 at a back with him, same as Pep is playing, two small technical CBs on the sides and a big one in the center.
Could be interesting for sure. My fear is Pep comes in for him to compete with Stones for that role. Seems perfectly built for it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We just don't have the squad (CB cover) to do that

ATXRedDevil

Technically, Timber might be considered cheaper even at 45m because you cannot pay the release clause in installments. So we need to actually pay 43m at once to Napoli if we want to active Kim's release clause. As for Timber, we can pay the 45m in installment.
Thought that was a la liga specific rule that it had to all be paid at once? I remember it came up when we were going for Herrera, and PSG had to write Barca that ~€200M check for Neymar. But I don’t recall it applying outside of Spain.

MegadrivePerson

I think the takeover makes it impossible for us to do a deal for Kim. It won't be completed in time for us to trigger the release clause.

aeh1991

Seeing too many people wanting him, but that would be another mistake. We don't need the most talented players on paper (which imo he is not anyway). We need players that fit the team the most. A constant challenger for Licha and Varane like KMJ who could even let us play with 3 at the back in some games, or allow Licha to play as CDM when Casemiro has a ban would be make more sense.

Rolaholic

Would rather this than us tbh, especially for 'crazy' money.

Seems far too lightweight for the PL for me.

Much rather the profile of a KMJ

Status
Not open for further replies.