Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
You just need to understand your role within the positional play principles and be capable technically to excel in a altered role. It's about understanding the role by occupying zones and spaces which is coached on the training ground by a coach who adheres to the positional play principles. Positional play isn't complicated.

And Rinus Michels was doing stuff like the above before Pep was born.
And you think anyone from United roster is capable to excel in this yeah? Or even the supposed subject of the thread, Timber?
Well, I applaud your optimism.
I happen to think otherwise.
From what I have seen, Timber's forward venture has been sporadic without strategic intent.
Normally he sees no forward putting pressure and a small gap and he makes a run for it (he's rather rapid).
He often reach final third but the whole attacking setup might not be ready to capitalize.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And you think anyone from United roster is capable to excel in this yeah? Or even the supposed subject of the thread, Timber?
Well, I applaud your optimism.
I happen to think otherwise.
From what I have seen, Timber's forward venture has been sporadic without strategic intent.
Normally he sees no forward putting pressure and a small gap and he makes a run for it (he's rather rapid).
He often reach final third but the whole attacking setup might not be ready to capitalize.

Under ten Hag I do believe Timber can play that role. Because he's already shown that he can perform within the positional play principles. He's still only 21 years of age and is good on the ball.

And him going forward is fine as long as someone else occupies the vacated space. And that is taught on the training ground.

Unfortunately for Ajax, they hired Schreuder to succeed ten Hag and his coaching left a lot to be desired which affected the team as a collective.

This is a simple concept that is complicated by people. And it's a concept that first appeared on the world stage under Rinus Michels and then Cruyff, who brought the idea to Barcelona. And the quote below basically sums up my thoughts on the subject of positional play. Let's not complicate things.

What is Positional Play

"Today on the internet it seems that many coaches enjoy complicating the game. When you click on to read explanations of the most simple of subjects often you will be greeted by complicated explanations and diagrams that can easily bamboozle people who don’t have much coaching experience or knowledge. Recently we came across one such article that made Positional Play seem like the most complicated of topics. The truth is that positional play is not complicated at all in terms of description. Granted, there are many facets to this style of play and so many breakdowns within positions, but when simply explaining positional play and what it is, that should never seem complicated."

https://keepitonthedeck.com/blog/2021/5/8/positional-play-simplified

Yagami

Good post resistant
I agree, I’m not convinced by his defending for a CB
When I watch him, I feel like it's one of those times a manager puts a CM at CB when all your actual CBs are injured because, on the ball, he's brilliant, but his positional sense as the last man back is lacking, and he's always too eager to push forwards to win the ball leaving huge gaps to be exploited. Obviously that's not the case here as he's actually a CB, but that's always the feeling I get when watching him.

That's one of the things that I love about Martinez. On the ball, it feels like you have a midfielder at CB, but, off it, he is still brilliant.
I Can see why you think that. I’d definitely give him a season at RB to acclimatise to the PL, where his ability to move out of defence and operate in midfield would come to the fore. But I can easily see him excelling in a top team as a CB. He’s the sort of player who’d shine in a Tiki Taka system. He’s very highly rated by a lot of top coaches. At CB I feel like it was very much him or Martinez. Pairing them together in the PL would give me kittens I think, especially from an aerial perspective. But I’d love him for RB and cover at CB.
You see him potentially cementing himself as a starting CB at a top club then? I guess I can see that for a team that consistently dominates possession (& depending on his partner who'd have to compensate for his poor ability in the air) but he just screams midfielder to me.

mancsarered

How are we not in this conversation if KMJ is going to Bayern? Ten Hag must be raging

OL29

Arsenal are building a team full of youth, speed and skill, I can’t say I’m not jealous.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He will ring up ETH like Martinez did when Arsenal tried to sign him last summer. Will be interesting to see what ETH does this time(assuming the Glazers cough up).

Irwin99

Weren't they also in for Martinez before we snatched him? Could be a similar situation.

Him and Martinez were apparently a good partnership. Maybe we'll see it again soon :drool:

RVN1991

Feck him. Got nothing but absolute disdain for anyone who ever rejected us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Arsenal sounds like his team. Proper bottler.

DownRiver

I am a bit surprised that Pep has not gone in for one of the best ball-playing centre backs, especially with how Man City currently play and Walker/Cancelo leaving.

I feel that Pep has realised he needs big and strong centre backs who can ALSO play ball in the PL.

Martinez works at United because he is so aggressive, it will be hard for Timber imo.

Chief123

I am a bit surprised that Pep has not gone in for one of the best ball-playing centre backs, especially with how Man City currently play and Walker/Cancelo leaving.

I feel that Pep has realised he needs big and strong centre backs who can ALSO play ball in the PL.

Martinez works at United because he is so aggressive, it will be hard for Timber imo.
Probably because they are trying to get an even better defender in Gvardiol. I’ll be gutted if he goes there. They could probably still do with Timber for the right side but I’d imagine they might go for a midfielder like rice to play the stones position and move stones back.

Chief123

I can see the thinking behind this. When Zinchenko was out injured for periods of time, Arsenal couldn’t play the same style they did when he was available. It’s disruptive to your team rhythm if you have to keep changing structure when a player comes in and out. Timber makes sense as I think he’ll play how Trent has been playing for Liverpool last part of the season. I think we’ll see a few more teams adopting this City structure of a defender joining into midfield.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The end is near for Robinho Holdinho...:(

kaku06

That would be annoying if he joins Arsenal. He’s a brilliant footballer.

IRELANDUNITED

If he ends up at Arsenal you’d have to wonder just how good he really is. Why has City, Bayern, Barca or Madrid not tried to sign him

kaku06

If he ends up at Arsenal you’d have to wonder just how good he really is. Why has City, Bayern, Barca or Madrid not tried to sign him
Like Odegaard? Madrid sold him and none of these top clubs were in for him too.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I await the pile on about how inept we are despite a lot of the forum calling him shite and the club scouts for inept for not finding anyone that EtH hadn’t worked with before

daba

So envious of Arsenal's planning and strategy, they've been building up a really strong, youthful squad over the past few years and it looks like they are going to continue that way.

Meanwhile we've persisted with quick fix after quick fix, leading to a bunch of incohesive players on ridiculous wages which we can then never shift or get any return on. I've tried to keep a steady head with the takeover looming, but Arsenal getting Timber would really poke a nerve.

GledTheRed

So envious of Arsenal's planning and strategy, they've been building up a really strong, youthful squad over the past few years and it looks like they are going to continue that way.

Meanwhile we've persisted with quick fix after quick fix, leading to a bunch of incohesive players on ridiculous wages which we can then never shift or get any return on. I've tried to keep a steady head with the takeover looming, but Arsenal getting Timber would really poke a nerve.
They've not signed anyone yet and they just bottled the league despite only concentrating on one competition all season.

We had a better season.

Ekeke

Good enough to win competition with Saliba and White. Gabriel is phsyical enough at LCB to be a partner for him I would think

reelworld

They've not signed anyone yet and they just bottled the league despite only concentrating on one competition all season.

We had a better season.
One thing that I do like from them was the way they cleared the expensive deadwoods like Lacazette and Auba. They don't mess around let Lacazette leave for free and terminate Auba contract. And Auba was also the club captain at the time.
United needs to be that ruthless and back up the manager

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Another target joining another club. Gonna be a fun summer this.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
He doesn't really make much sense for us. He is more similiar to Martinez and Lindelof while we need a Varane understudy and Maguire replacement. It's important to have the right mix of CBs. Martinez and Timber would be suicide in the PL, especially with a goalkeeper like De Gea.

We need someone more physical who is good on the ball to partner Martinez. If we don't get Kim I think Antonio Silva or Pau Torres would be good options. Disasi or Todibo fit the profile too, even if I don't rate them that high.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That would be annoying if he joins Arsenal. He’s a brilliant footballer.
Darn. Arsenal are continuing to build well.

He doesn't really make much sense for us. He is more similiar to Martinez and Lindelof while we need a Varane understudy and Maguire replacement. It's important to have the right mix of CBs. Martinez and Timber would be suicide in the PL, especially with a goalkeeper like De Gea.

We need someone more physical who is good on the ball to partner Martinez. If we don't get Kim I think Antonio Silva or Pau Torres would be good options. Disasi or Todibo fit the profile too, even if I don't rate them that high.
That’s if he’s being looked at as a centre back. As a right back he’d be able to possibly match what Ben White has done at Arsenal combining similarly with our RWs? He seems more gifted on the ball than White.

Reyoji-Utd

Dont think he is our target anymore when we extend Dalot contract and with AWB being half stay/go. I definitely dont want him as our CB because then its going to be 2 short CBs and it bordering suicide in PL. Cant we have any other CB that can play football, build up from back, can evad the press to a degree and still be tall enough...Todibo, Pavard...ect not bad shout esp i think we one with pace to cover if we change to play highline and try to suffocate the opponents on their half to counter when they break through.

Status
Not open for further replies.