Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Another target joining another club. Gonna be a fun summer this.
Timber was never a realistic target for us once we signed Martinez. He's a good footballer but the only way he could fit for us would be as a full-back, and even then the lack of height at the back could leave us susceptible at set pieces.

I thought Timber might end up at a slightly more ambitious team than Arsenal but it isn't worth crying over if they do get him.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
Timber was never a realistic target for us once we signed Martinez. He's a good footballer but the only way he could fit for us would be as a full-back, and even then the lack of height at the back could leave us susceptible at set pieces.

I thought Timber might end up at a slightly more ambitious team than Arsenal but it isn't worth crying over if they do get him.

Aggressively chasing Rice and Haavertz. Looking to add Timber as back up to Saliba. Tying down Martinelli, Saka and Saliba on new long contracts, Odegaard rumoured to be next

Arsenals ambition is being shown in the transfer market and in our desire to keep our best players.

What great moves will you make this window that would put everyone else to shame. Which players have you signed up to new long term contracts. Luke Shaw? Diogo Dalot?

CM

Aggressively chasing Rice and Haavertz. Looking to add Timber as back up to Saliba. Tying down Martinelli, Saka and Saliba on new long contracts, Odegaard rumoured to be next

Arsenals ambition is being shown in the transfer market and in our desire to keep our best players.

What great moves will you make this window that would put everyone else to shame. Which players have you signed up to new long term contracts. Luke Shaw? Diogo Dalot?
:lol: Defensive much? Sorry, I'll make sure to pat Arsenal on the back for all the trophies they won last season in my next post.

kaku06

Why Arsenal fans are like this? Other teams fans are not angels either but I swear Arsenal fans are in a league of their own. AFTV is the true representation of their fanbase.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why Arsenal fans are like this? Other teams fans are not angels either but I swear Arsenal fans are in a league of their own. AFTV is the true representation of their fanbase.
This guy makes Glaston look very sane and good poster.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Dont think he is our target anymore when we extend Dalot contract and with AWB being half stay/go. I definitely dont want him as our CB because then its going to be 2 short CBs and it bordering suicide in PL. Cant we have any other CB that can play football, build up from back, can evad the press to a degree and still be tall enough...Todibo, Pavard...ect not bad shout esp i think we one with pace to cover if we change to play highline and try to suffocate the opponents on their half to counter when they break through.
Ideally we’d have replaced one of Awb or Dalot with him. He looks so much more talented so we’ll continue having lancing technical quality on the right. Delaying the inevitable with those two.

amolbhatia50k

Everyone is ambitious in this window. Liverpool have added a WC winning midfielder and will be looking for more. Chelsea are chasing highly promising players and linked to everyone. Ditto with us.

Also Havertz is mediocre and Rice is someone we don’t need. Timber would be a good addition imo.

ROFLUTION

Everyone is ambitious in this window. Liverpool have added a WC winning midfielder and will be looking for more. Chelsea are chasing highly promising players and linked to everyone. Ditto with us.
I like this way of bigging up/describing players. Remember when Arsenal signed a Euro92 winner too? John Faxe Jensen :drool:

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
Good player. But too light to play CB in premier. And, Arsenal already has Ben White who is a similar player (cb/rb ball player), why spend 30+ milions for Timber? Good player but for Arsenal useful (and expensive) signing.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel

Also Havertz is mediocre and Rice is someone we don’t need. Timber would be a good addition imo.
Timber for the price quoted would be ideal for us as well if we had a chance of getting him. Not sure if his preference is Arsenal and no one else but maybe a cheeky bid for him so if we can steal him off the medical table before he signs.

amolbhatia50k

I like this way of bigging up/describing players. Remember when Arsenal signed a Euro92 winner too? John Faxe Jensen :drool:
I mean I don’t actually think McAllister is that great as that thread made out to be. More to push back against the narrative of that chest thumping post about aggressive and ambitious Arsenal.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Aggressively chasing FC. Step up from Monitoring FC, I'll give you that.

GledTheRed

One thing that I do like from them was the way they cleared the expensive deadwoods like Lacazette and Auba. They don't mess around let Lacazette leave for free and terminate Auba contract. And Auba was also the club captain at the time.
United needs to be that ruthless and back up the manager
They were shit and old, 100 million quid down the shitter.

Himannv

:lol:

mikeyt

Rice and Timber would be good moves for Arsenal, Havertz has shown little at Chelsea and between him and Mount potentially moving for big fees to us and Arsenal, Chelsea will be laughing!

izec

Good move by Arsenal. They are buying well currently and have changed their transfer approach quite a bit in recent years.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds

I don't see a problem with Timber fitting us. Stop with the height comparison and the set pieces situations, was listening to the same nonsense last year with Martinez.

Ten Hag want us to play possession football from the back and have said this many times, his style is coming from Cruyff and for that to be made possible you need ball playing centre-backs and full-backs. We won't be able to do this with Maguire the 1,95m giant and Varane who is class above Maguire and better with the feet but in the end not at level required by our manager. Not to say that he will be our best right back too and he will be ahead in the picking order than AWB and Dalot.

Don't lie to yourself that Timber's height will be issue, even if he plays with Martinez as CB pair. If we get to the level Ten Hag wants us to play there won't even be a point to worry about that.

In short, I'm furious that Timber is going to Arsenal for now. Lets hope that United decide to go for him, the same way we took Martinez last year.

Salfordlad70

Looks like we are losing out on everybody so far.
It seems that way. Of course we’ll strengthen and the names being banded about that we may have been interested in haven’t put pen to paper yet, but having qualified for the CL we have to be more assertive and ambitious.

It’s early days and we have to trust the plan, but the takeover delay isn’t helping and we will lose yet more ground on our rivals if it isn’t resolved soon.

We can’t afford a poor summer window and then having a season like Chelsea have just had. It’s so important that we get our arse into gear. I’m worried like everyone else.

Get the club sale done ASAP and we can compete.
Don’t and we’re in trouble for the foreseeable future. It’s that important

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Looks like Arsenal aren’t resting on their laurels - should be stronger again next year
What exactly have they achieved to rest on their laurel?

These kind of posts should be posted in City, Madrid, Bayern thread, not Arsenal.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Idxomer

I don't see a problem with Timber fitting us. Stop with the height comparison and the set pieces situations, was listening to the same nonsense last year with Martinez.

Ten Hag want us to play possession football from the back and have said this many times, his style is coming from Cruyff and for that to be made possible you need ball playing centre-backs and full-backs. We won't be able to do this with Maguire the 1,95m giant and Varane who is class above Maguire and better with the feet but in the end not at level required by our manager. Not to say that he will be our best right back too and he will be ahead in the picking order than AWB and Dalot.

Don't lie to yourself that Timber's height will be issue, even if he plays with Martinez as CB pair. If we get to the level Ten Hag wants us to play there won't even be a point to worry about that.

In short, I'm furious that Timber is going to Arsenal for now. Lets hope that United decide to go for him, the same way we took Martinez last year.
It isn't nonsense with Martinez, he's a very good defender but obviously not great in the air. You pair him with Timber and it's a disaster waiting to happen in the PL.

He also wouldn't be our best right-back because that's simply not his position.

Real Name

Quality meltdown. :lol:

CM

It's a completely different situation having one diminutive player in your backline to having multiples.

It would, without doubt, be an issue if Timber and Martinez were playing together as a CB pairing in the Premier League. Both are good technical footballers, and Martinez is very intelligent with how he uses his body, but there's good reason why literally no team has tried this before. Even City now have a group of very tall, robust defenders and they would be the team to do it if somebody was going to try.

Winning aerial duels is part of the game, like it or not. You can't do that with Timber and Martinez as a pairing and it gives opposition teams a huge vulnerability to exploit. As I said before, we could possibly get away with Timber at RB but we need to get a player in who is physically dominant and good on the ball if that's what Ten Hag is looking to achieve. Throw another smaller player in there and we get bullied, simple as that.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
It isn't nonsense with Martinez, he's a very good defender but obviously not great in the air. You pair him with Timber and it's a disaster waiting to happen in the PL.

He also wouldn't be our best right-back because that's simply not his position.
That's the way you see it.

He isn't a right-back but he can play there without a problem and i said that because if he decide to play there or has been put there to play by the manager, he would be immediately better option than AWB and Dalot and i can guarantee you that, but for this to happens we must sign him so you can see it with your own eyes.

About pairing him with Martinez i cannot see the problem there. The Premier League have changed in the last years and most of the teams are not playing with high balls in the box or waiting for set pieces, the style have changed and most of the teams now, don't play with the typical tyrant in front of goal. Even if they play in that way i still cannot see the problem, if we manage to keep 65% to 70% possession in most of the games excluding City and maybe Liverpool you won't even see problem with this CB pairing.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Don't think you can carry him and Martinez to potentially start in the same defence over here.

I see a lot of people suggest he can play right back? Does he play there often? I've genuinely never seen it.

I was also completely convinced he would end up at Liverpool as they're crying out for defenders.

RuudTom83

Martinez has paved the way for Timber to arrive with no questions asked...you won't hear the so called experts on sports shows knocking Timber's height.

Would be interesting to see him in the Prem, just don't sell him to Arsenal on the cheap please Ajax!

Idxomer

That's the way you see it.

He isn't a right-back but he can play there without a problem and i said that because if he decide to play there or has been put there to play by the manager, he would be immediately better option than AWB and Dalot and i can guarantee you that, but for this to happens we must sign him so you can see it with your own eyes.

About pairing him with Martinez i cannot see the problem there. The Premier League have changed in the last years and most of the teams are not playing with high balls in the box or waiting for set pieces, the style have changed and most of the teams now, don't play with the typical tyrant in front of goal. Even if they play in that way i still cannot see the problem, if we manage to keep 65% to 70% possession in most of the games excluding City and maybe Liverpool you won't even see problem with this CB pairing.
The premier league has changed but crosses still play a considerable part in most teams' tactics. Newcastle, Liverpool and even City cross the ball a lot. That's just from the top teams and we have other teams like Fulham, Brentford and WHU who play a lot of long balls and crossing is a main part of their tactics. Timber's problem isn't just heading, he's also physically not strong. He'll get bullied against a lot of teams that won't surrender the possession.

As a right-back, he would be good on the ball but he won't offer any of the width needed and positionally he's untested there.

Crimson King

It's a completely different situation having one diminutive player in your backline to having multiples.

It would, without doubt, be an issue if Timber and Martinez were playing together as a CB pairing in the Premier League. Both are good technical footballers, and Martinez is very intelligent with how he uses his body, but there's good reason why literally no team has tried this before. Even City now have a group of very tall, robust defenders and they would be the team to do it if somebody was going to try.

Winning aerial duels is part of the game, like it or not. You can't do that with Timber and Martinez as a pairing and it gives opposition teams a huge vulnerability to exploit. As I said before, we could possibly get away with Timber at RB but we need to get a player in who is physically dominant and good on the ball if that's what Ten Hag is looking to achieve. Throw another smaller player in there and we get bullied, simple as that.
Agreed. Having two shorter CBs also affects how you line up the rest of your team. You don't want to be forced to play a taller, but less technical, CM or CF just so you can have more height to defend set pieces.

For what it's worth, I think as soon as he listened to LvG and turned us down last summer we moved on. I'm also not sure he'll leave Ajax to be a squad player somewhere, like he would at Arsenal. Might happen if Saliba doesn't sign and they move him on, although it looks more likely he'll sign a new contract at the moment.

mufc_sd

Our fanbase complains about EtH pursuing his ex-players, while top European teams show interest in the players he has coached and nurtured, valuing their exceptional IQ, technical abilities, and elite mentality. I would back EtH pulling out of Højlund to hijack Timber.

Status
Not open for further replies.