Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Mike Verweij (very reliable for Ajax): Ten Hag wants to bring Timber to Manchester United.

Timber is a 20-year old centre half with 6 Netherlands caps who doesn't really look like a centre half, in both the good and bad implications of that. He's 5'10", statistically maybe even more useless aerially than that would suggest, but is decent defensively, has bags of recovery pace and looks absolutely brilliant on the ball - probably as comfortable as most attacking players you'll see.

If we do end up with him, no doubt there'll be a caf record for quickest appearance of a "should we play x at DM" thread, and a lot of shouts for either him at RB or in a back three. On the other hand, I'm already giddy at the prospect of watching this lad glide forward with the ball from defence after years of Maguire, Smalling and Jones, not to mention actually being able to play a high line properly for a change.

Stats (note: these are compiled only from his Champions League appearances as fbref only counts the top five league stats, so there's no Dutch league padding involved):

Video:

Trying to imagine Maguire attempting that run and pass at 2:15 :lol:

L1nk

There have been smaller defenders than him (like Cannavaro) who have been able to excel despite some people arguing that CB is a tall players position, however, and i'm not saying he's gonna get to Cannavaro's level, he has talent and if the manager wants him, I hope we get him

V.O.

There have been smaller defenders than him (like Cannavaro) who have been able to excel despite some people arguing that CB is a tall players position, however, and i'm not saying he's gonna get to Cannavaro's level, he has talent and if the manager wants him, I hope we get him
The issue with that side of things is that he really doesn't seem to be a Cannavaro or an Ayala. He's not just 5'10", from the stats he's also in the absolute lowest percentile for aerial duels won as a centre back.

At the very least I think we'd be trotting Maguire out against Burnley. :wenger:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The issue with that side of things is that he really doesn't seem to be a Cannavaro or an Ayala. He's not just 5'10", from the stats he's also in the absolute lowest percentile for aerial duels won as a centre back.
So would he play three at the back and have him be the one who starts the attacks by coming out with the ball? Do I get a prize for mentioning three at the back?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I really don't see the need for this guy with Lindelof around. He already has all his best traits (passing) and all his worst ones (physicality/aerial prowess).

While this guy might be a better passerer losing a better headerer in the rough and tumble of the Premier League isn't a worthwhile trade-off.

Edit - Thinking about a back 2. Might work in a back 3.

Last edited:

V.O.

I really don't see the need for this guy with Lindelof around. He already has all his best traits (passing) and all his worst ones (physicality/aerial prowess).

While this guy might be a better passerer losing a better headerer in the rough and tumble of the Premier League isn't a worthwhile trade-off.

Poor @golden_blunder will have a coronary if we sign this lad. Lindelof is Vidic in the air next to him. :lol:

Being the world's biggest Jurriën Timber fan could be an interesting career change for you. :angel:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Edit - Thinking about a back 2. It might work in a back 3.
This guy is 7 years younger. Unless you consider that Lindelof is vastly superior, then we definitely need to bring young talented players that will replace our older not so talented players.

lenny_1248

He's class.

Maybe he can nominally start as a RB and then move as a third CB in build-up.
With Shaw being deployed as an inverted full-back on the other side.

We need a CB regardless. Seems like Bailly and Jones are leaving. 3 cb's obviously not enough.

L1nk

At the very least I think we'd be trotting Maguire out against Burnley. :wenger:
I guess it depends on how ETH would deploy him, if we're talking a strict 4-4-2 that we are used to then yes perhaps that is the case, we know he has interesting formations and interesting ways in which he uses players though. So it will be interesting to see if we got him, how we'd deploy him

ti vu

His lack of aerial presence/ability is a worry, but completely a different type of defender to Lindelof. He's aggressive with pace, and strength. He can pass, but more impressive with his dribbling, and burst of pace.

For comparison purpose, Carvalho (Chelsea former CB) may be closer in atrributes.

Last edited:

CallyRed

This reminds me of when we were getting LVG after the 2014 world cup, and we were linked to 70% of the Dutch national team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imo, our best CB in the post Fergie era still remains Daley Blind.

Based Adnan

Whilst Verweij is ultra reliable for Ajax, supposedly Ajax fans say he's a bit more speculative when it comes to his Podcast which is where this rumour comes from

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Cannavaro made up for it with an excellent leap.

In the PL I think aerial prowess matters more than some other leagues.

Santos J

Yes please. Been great for them and his impact was evident when he was out for a few games.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Behaving at times like RB, looking to score & assist.

Still a long term project, but pressure on him is going to be huge at club like United.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know the OP predicted there would be shouts for him to play at RB but it's worth noting he has played at RB under ETH at times.

The reality is that ability on the ball is absolutely vital in the back four given the way ETH plays. Given that, it's hard to see how we could too far wrong with a player that good on the ball who can nominally cover both RB and CB.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Behaving at times like RB, looking to score & assist.

Still a long term project, but pressure on him is going to be huge at club like United.

He can be eased in. We have lindelof, Maguire and varane and he can also get games at rb. He doesn’t need to just be flung in to the deep end. Bailly, Jones and Axel should all be sold.

Kaos

The concern regarding his height is overblown. The Dutch have always thrived with shorter ball playing centre backs like Koeman and De Boer, and if ten Hag gets us playing similarly to his Ajax side, then I think he'd be a very good fit, especially alongside Varane. His weakness in aerial duals shouldn't be an issue if he's paired with a tall CB which he certainly will be. And as already mentioned, there's been plenty of sub-6ft CBs who have been best in class like Puyol, Cannavaro...heck Mascherano was 5ft9 and was pretty much a staple for Barca's most successful team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he would likely play a lot at RB anyway. Didn't he play there for Netherlands a few times last summer in the euros? Obvious potential to transition to a back 3 with him too. But with Bailly and Jones hopefully/probably leaving, Wan Bissaka having next to no place in a team where a manager wants progressive fullbacks... Doesn't hurt to essentially replace Bailly/Jones/Wan Bissaka with Timber.

ETH to take Timber and Antony from Ajax, sign Kamara on a free for DM and all of a sudden we added 3 players aged 22 or under to replace older guys. Then get a striker who can hold the ball up well and our summer would be sorted IMO.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He can be eased in. We have lindelof, Maguire and varane and he can also get games at rb. He doesn’t need to just be flung in to the deep end. Bailly, Jones and Axel should all be sold.
Looks like it's over for Axel, but Bailly & Jones just can't get enough games from years. Could be over them both, too.

If Maguire won't up his game to bearable level we might have to base our entire next season on Varane & Linde with Timber starting in cups. That's when pressure will kick in and Timber will have to be a league starter at some point in emergency cases. Looks to me like huge pressure awaits for him from the start, as our defensive lineup is just all over the place atm.

ti vu

The concern regarding his height is overblown. The Dutch have always thrived with shorter ball playing centre backs like Koeman and De Boer, and if ten Hag gets us playing similarly to his Ajax side, then I think he'd be a very good fit, especially alongside Varane. His weakness in aerial duals shouldn't be an issue if he's paired with a tall CB which he certainly will be. And as already mentioned, there's been plenty of sub-6ft CBs who have been best in class like Puyol, Cannavaro...heck Mascherano was 5ft9 and was pretty much a staple for Barca's most successful team.
That would require the team to be complete, so they can cover some flaw in other players. And the PL is more cynical in percentage football to punish aerial flaw.

Other poster had pointed out, his aerial stats is not good even in familiar system and Dutch league. You wouldn't expect a colossal improvement from this base in new league, new team.

We're talking about first step in our style building here, so be ready for any flaw being harshly punished. Even Pep had all kind of issue with his defense in his first year with City. And that team is way ahead of our current state.

Then there is an underlying issue with DDG. During normal play the CB partner can step in to help in with cross, but during set piece it's a disaster having to protect DDG, too.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ralf stressed the need for physical aggressive footballers. Does he fit into that category?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would love to have someone like him in the side, I reckon he'd start at RB currently with how good he is on the ball and his passing.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well he does look more like a RB or DM but looks like he'd definitely suit RCB in a back 3 and arguably we need all 3 of RB, DM and CB upgrading so why not go for him and see where he best fits in the end? If we are interested in Kamara as well for DM then he can also play CB I seem to remember so one way or another we could probably make both signings work you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.