Just me or...

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Yes I know what you mean (OP). I keep trying to get myself up for it, even watched the Nigeria game. I think it might be the whole Gareth Southgate appointment. It’s almost as if we’ve given up before we get there.

Come to think of it I felt exactly the same way when Hodgson was taking us to major tournaments.

Gutted it didn’t work out for Big Sam, as I genuinely think we’d have had half a chance, certainly been bloody tough to beat.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
If we think Russia is unwelcoming, I wonder how 2022 in the desert of Qatar is going to be...

Dante

Average bang
I'll get more into it whent the Fantasy Football starts. On which note... does anybody know when it's going live?

DRM

I agree with the OP, much less hype this time! I think also the combination of some good players missing out and some good teams too (Italy, Holland, Sweden). Also lots of dross this year (Panama, Saudi, Iran etc).

Even the opening match is not one I'm looking forward to, Russia v Saudi!

But still hopeful it will be a good WC!!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
7 days to go.

I am pretty excited to be honest.

It helps not having someone to specifically cheer for as I dont have to worry about heartbreak. Plus I have been looking froward to this since United's season finished against Sevilla.

Dolf

A world cup in Russia is like celebrating your birthday in an isolation cell. All your friends and family are there but it's just not the same as your last birthday.

Minimalist

Genuinely took me by surprise when I saw that it kicks off in two days.

Must be getting bored of WCs already.

Eleven-Eighteen

This WC needs a Shakira style Waka Waka to fire things up a bit.

I know people who watch football only during big tournaments like WC and Euro etc. and they don't really know when exactly the WC is starting

Newspapers aren't really covering it much either

My guess it has to do with the fact that Russia is a broke ass country and is unable to spend much on marketing

Minimalist

I know people who watch football only during big tournaments like WC and Euro etc. and they don't really know when exactly the WC is starting

My guess it has to do with the fact that Russia is a broke ass country and is unable to spend much on marketing
Probably just the fact it's a place like Russia full stop.

MUFC OK

I completely agree with this, there definitely seems to be a lull before this World Cup which isn't usually the case.

I do think that this is largely political:
Firstly it's the first World Cup since the FIFA corruption case in 2015 - I think this really damaged the goodwill of FIFA in the eyes of the general public. If you couple that with the fact that Russia won this World Cup in debatably unscrupulous circumstances and the well documented issues Russia have had within football; hooliganism, racism, etc and the wider geopolitical view of Russia, and there is probably just a slight sour taste for some this time around.

Contrasting with the carnival atmosphere of Brazil 2014, a country that lives and breathes football like no other, and this was always going to seem like a drab affair, even without the above mentioned circumstances.

We are supposed to believe that World Cup/Olympic bids are either awarded as a vehicle for development (Mexico, Japan/Korea, China, South Africa), or perhaps sentimentally to a country with a rich history and tradition in football and/or the infrastructure to host such an event. The awarding of Russia with this World Cup doesn't seem to fit either criteria.

I also think that the reality, which will come clearer in the coming years that football is all about commerciality these days and frankly, the Premier League and Champions League in particular are much more marketable for sponsorship/TV rights etc, due to the fact is generates infinitely more coverage, with eh World Cup being only a month, once every 4 years. The majority may, in the next 20 or so years look at the World Cup as a b-side, which would be awful to see.

We will see if this all changes in the next couple of days and come the opening ceremony, but I certainly agree that World Cup fever hasn't struck, or struck as hard as in the past just yet.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Really? It's all over Newspapers... This weekend every single one had a wall-chart and a World Cup pull out (The Guardians was like 100 pages or something daft)

Plus it's all over TV's, Adverts... there's a million preview podcasts/shows... it's constantly being talked about in the office, most football talk is about it...

I'm not sure how much more coverage it could get!

Rossa

The OP is right. I had to Google which country the WC is in, just in came as a question for a quiz. There is very little buzz around it, but I think it has to do with it being in Russia.

Eleven-Eighteen

Really? It's all over Newspapers... This weekend every single one had a wall-chart and a World Cup pull out (The Guardians was like 100 pages or something daft)

Plus it's all over TV's, Adverts... there's a million preview podcasts/shows... it's constantly being talked about in the office, most football talk is about it...

I'm not sure how much more coverage it could get!
Not in India they weren't. Not until a few days ago at least, when it finally started getting some traction in the sports section.

I'm guessing you're talking about England...normal for there to be hype inside a country that's actually participating.

But the World Cup has always been so much more than that. For instance, I still remember the 98 final (which even my grandmother, who literally watches no sport whatsoever, saw live on TV). Or the infamous 2006 final.

Fwiw, i've been talking it up to anyone who will listen. So hopefully by the time the knockout stage comes around there'll be enough of a buzz.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The World Cup buzz is definitely here. What's missing is all the iconic commercials - I think I've only seen the one from Nike so far.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
..does everything seem a bit lazy and late with the World Cup at the minute?

Squads seem to be announced and chopped down to 23 really late.

Kits are only just finished being released for whatever reason.

Even the World Cup game has only just come out and it's a bit half arsed too.

Seems like hardly anyone is that arsed with it this year?
Its definitely not you. Its hard to get excited about this WC. For the first time, it seems more like a mild nuisance than something to look forward to.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If we think Russia is unwelcoming, I wonder how 2022 in the desert of Qatar is going to be...
Not looking forward to that, specially if it’s over winter. No beer gardens!

promisedlanchiao

I couldn’t give a shit where its held. In fact, I hope Russia do well. Even used them in a World Cup tournament on Fifa.

Buzzing for this World Cup. Lets hope it becomes the best one so far.

Hanks

Hahahahahahaha

I’ve been in Russia since Saturday. There is so much buzz on the streets, so many fans, tourist Center’s, security, and decorations. Security is very tight. I took a boat tour in Nizhny, and they made us go through metal detectors as it’s an airport. No issues with me!

Currently at Shemeretyevo airport waiting for my flight to St Petersburg after spending a few days in Kazan and Nizhny Novgorod. Kazan, wow...felt like its own country. So Tatar!

Everyone has been very nice, from taxi drivers to waiters. I got lost in the dark in Nizhny late at night with my phone dead and a local married couple walked 20 minites with me to get back to my hotel. Met Belgian TV crew at a Siberian themed restaurant in Nizhny where the waiter gave us 3 free shots each and had delicious Siberian deer.

On Saturday, saw loads of Mexicans drinking around Red Square with soviet communist hats, it was a funny scene. Even Guardian who for months has been fear-mongering the WC publishes an article yesterday saying how fans are finding Moscow much nicer than expected. You know, the fans who actually have skin in the game and are here. Big party planned tomorrow night at Fan feat after opening match for Iranians and Moroccans. Gonna watch opener with Russians though, be great atmosphere at the park!

Get out of your self-wrapped bubble, stop believing everything you read about foreign countries and foreign people in your press and travel and you will be surprised ! Most People, regardless of nationality, are great and hospitable and humans at heart in the end. You’ll be surprised !

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not feeling the hype yet. I'm not expecting fireworks today but hopefully there's a nice buzz to get us starting. Tomorrow things will really kick off.

Wal2Fra

Being in France, they are pretty up for it with every shop window having the flags or scarfs hanging, newspapers all over it and the locals are excited and full of confidence so that is definetly helping.

After a few dissapointing months (albeit some decent results in that time) of United, I am looking forward to just sitting back and enjoying the tournament.

Want to see the French do well, so probably won't be too neutral with their games but the rest are hopefully just entertaining goal fests!

Lennon7

Yesterday was the first time they had anything truly World Cup related on tele with the MOTD preview. A few things that were Russia focused like Frankie Boyle’s disappointing show barely delved into the World Cup.

I swear last year they had multiple shows looking at the culture of the country, the cities and stadiums hosting the World Cup and a breakdown of each team’s players and chances. Had feck all as far as I saw on this year, until yesterday at 10pm.

Solo Toure

Yesterday was the first time they had anything truly World Cup related on tele with the MOTD preview. A few things that were Russia focused like Frankie Boyle’s disappointing show barely delved into the World Cup.

I swear last year they had multiple shows looking at the culture of the country, the cities and stadiums hosting the World Cup and a breakdown of each team’s players and chances. Had feck all as far as I saw on this year, until yesterday at 10pm.
As it’s Russia, not many media outlets want to broadcast/highlight the tournament as much as usual due to political tensions.

Frankie Boyle is fecking hilarious, his dark comedic view on the World Cup in Russia and the stereotypes and half truths regarding Russian football and culture is pure comedy and should be seen by all.

Lennon7

As it’s Russia, not many media outlets want to broadcast/highlight the tournament as much as usual due to political tensions.

Frankie Boyle is fecking hilarious, his dark comedic view on the World Cup in Russia and the stereotypes and half truths regarding Russian football and culture is pure comedy and should be seen by all.
I love Frankie Boyle but that Russia show was boring as feck.

marktan

Being in France, they are pretty up for it with every shop window having the flags or scarfs hanging, newspapers all over it and the locals are excited and full of confidence so that is definetly helping.

After a few dissapointing months (albeit some decent results in that time) of United, I am looking forward to just sitting back and enjoying the tournament.

Want to see the French do well, so probably won't be too neutral with their games but the rest are hopefully just entertaining goal fests!
Not too surprising given how promising that French squad is. England on the other hand.. you'd have to be a fool to think we'd do well.

Looking forward to Spain Portugal tomorrow to really kick things off. I love World Cups. You get some great moments and it lets me get away from the mundanity of life for a month.

Wal2Fra

Not too surprising given how promising that French squad is. England on the other hand.. you'd have to be a fool to think we'd do well.

Looking forward to Spain Portugal tomorrow to really kick things off. I love World Cups. You get some great moments and it lets me get away from the mundanity of life for a month.
With great expectations comes great dissapointment. Although their showing at the Euro's could be a good stepping stone for the world stage.

Seems that the world cup has kicked off early after the Russians put on a show and actually scored some nice goals!

Was a good open game, both teams wanted to get forward (1 more succesful at it) hopefully more games like that coming up.

Rajma

Surely people can’t still be saying/feeling the same? So far wc has been top notch, absolutely loving it. Seems like fantastic atmosphere in Russia - fans finding it superb as all is very well organised, fair fecks.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very good tournament so far.

Note of caution though...if you look back to 2002, 06 and 14 (2010 was just a horrible one all round) there were lots of exciting group games but many of the knock out ones were ultra cautious and pretty boring.

Most of the Argentina games were snooze fests as was Costa Rica-Holland. Only 7-1 livened things up.

Would be nice to have some really memorable knock out games and also a good final.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The holders being beaten in their opening game is huge, it opens things big time.
It would mean more if the same didn't happen to Spain in South Africa - they still went on to win it.

Difference here though - Germany look shocking at the back. They're there for the taking if they don't address that tactically for the fixtures ahead.

Rory 7

It would mean more if the same didn't happen to Spain in South Africa - they still went on to win it.

Difference here though - Germany look shocking at the back. They're there for the taking if they don't address that tactically for the fixtures ahead.
Spain weren’t the holders when they were beaten in their opening game in SA. I agree the Germans are there for the taking at the back.

Chairman Steve

The age of the internet, extended media coverage and the likes of Football Manager have probably taken away the mystery of the World Cup in some way. I miss the times when you watched certain games and players you never heard of had worldie performances or scored a worldie goal and they became a fad, but these days there’s people out of there who can tell you everything on a player, including their influence stat on FM.