Juventus Performance 2021-22

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Creating a new thread to discuss Juventus performance for this season. I couldn't find any recent threads on this, mods please merge if this is a duplicate.

Just saw their scoreline away at Roma. Over the last three years before this season, they grew heavily dependent on Ronaldo. They were going to always struggle for goals with Ronaldo's departure in the short term. But having Allegri back was a huge step in the right direction for them. Going from a team built around one player to a team with individuals bearing responsibility all over the pitch and being greater than the sum of it's parts. I had them down to improve in terms of squad cohesiveness by the end of this season and I'm curious what the resident Juve fans think about their progress. Being 5 points away from third in Jan, they're very much in with a chance for CL next season. Dybala back among the goals would be a plus for them.

@Bepi @genardk how are you feeling about team after the return of Allegri? What are your expectations for the rest of the next season? When do you expect Juve to challenge for the scudetto again?

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Creating a new thread to discuss Juventus performance for this season. I couldn't find any recent threads on this, mods please merge if this is a duplicate.

Just saw their scoreline away at Roma. Over the last three years before this season, they grew heavily dependent on Ronaldo. They were going to always struggle for goals with Ronaldo's departure in the short term. But having Allegri back was a huge step in the right direction for them. Going from a team built around one player to a team with individuals bearing responsibility all over the pitch and being greater than the sum of it's parts. I had them down to improve in terms of squad cohesiveness by the end of this season and I'm curious what the resident Juve fans think about their progress. Being 5 points away from third in Jan, they're very much in with a chance for CL next season. Dybala back among the goals would be a plus for them.

@Bepi @genardk how are you feeling about team after the return of Allegri? What are your expectations for the rest of the next season? When do you expect Juve to challenge for the scudetto again?
The goal this year is really finishing in the top 4 like last year and qualify for the CL. Anything else is a bonus. The teams needs time and has to effectively use the transfer windows over the next two years. We have been dealing with many injury problems (just lost Chiesa today), could not replace Ronaldo due to his last minute transfer etc. We are far too inconsistent to be a top contender with constant ups and downs and seem to lack the Juve spirit with players looking lazy, unmotivated at times.

The good thing is Allegri is back, and if there’s one person to turn things around, it is probably him. Unfortunately, Allegri has not been able to develop great solutions so far but then again we were in a bad shape prior to his arrival and he only spent half a season. I see the next two years as a continuity of the rebuilding phase where we can properly challenge Scudetto and CL on the condition that we pick the right targets and Allegri brings back the Juve spirit that is so far missing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's night and day when Arthur is on the pitch for them. He adds so much composure to the team that is otherwise chaos. I'll be jealous of whoever signs him if he is coming to England.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Not watched them much, but judging by the results, they are inconsistent, much like last season.

Has their overall play improved?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The club is in survival mode, both financially (the new chief financial officer Arrivabene must cut costs after the owners injected €700m in the last 18 months) and technically (Allegri acting as the chief technical officer, and tasked with getting the most out of a depleted, spent, flat squad).

This state is the consequence of the failed Ronaldo all-in by Agnelli (now superseded in his presidential capacities, at least temporarily) and Paratici (now at Spurs, after having bloated the squad with a number of disastrous “free” signings and passengers), with Covid being the practical black swan and a number of perceived scandals (Suarez, players trading practices, mediatic distractions, the failed SuperLeague) igniting confusion.

Adding further misery, it seems Chiesa did his ACL yesterday against Roma and should be out for the season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Adding further misery, it seems Chiesa did his ACL yesterday against Roma and should be out for the season.
That's rough. You were already down to your bare bones in terms of attacking options with him fit. I can't see you selling Kulusevski now, which I think is good for you as I think he's got a tonne of potential.

Before this season, I never rated McKennie but, imo, he's improved so much this season, so that's a bonus. I also think Kaio Jorge looks like a brilliant prospect, too.

nuanced

It's night and day when Arthur is on the pitch for them. He adds so much composure to the team that is otherwise chaos. I'll be jealous of whoever signs him if he is coming to England.
Glad to hear he is excelling again. Barsa managed him awfully for his last few seasons.

nuanced

Incredible that both the Milan clubs are back competing for the scudetto and Juve is nowhere in the race. Would've been incredible to imagine this situation 2-3 years back.

Ladron de redcafe

The club is in survival mode, both financially (the new chief financial officer Arrivabene must cut costs after the owners injected €700m in the last 18 months) and technically (Allegri acting as the chief technical officer, and tasked with getting the most out of a depleted, spent, flat squad).

This state is the consequence of the failed Ronaldo all-in by Agnelli (now superseded in his presidential capacities, at least temporarily) and Paratici (now at Spurs, after having bloated the squad with a number of disastrous “free” signings and passengers), with Covid being the practical black swan and a number of perceived scandals (Suarez, players trading practices, mediatic distractions, the failed SuperLeague) igniting confusion.

Chiesa will be a huge loss. At times, he helped drag Juventus to a top 4 finish last season and without a player like him, no team is the same.

Having said that, what a result last night in Rome.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Incredible that both the Milan clubs are back competing for the scudetto and Juve is nowhere in the race. Would've been incredible to imagine this situation 2-3 years back.
Allegri’s 4-4-2 tactics in the starting of the season had ruined him so many points, I blame Max a lot in this point.

Second, some players of this squad really need to change and rebuild(especially old players ).

Third, Juve’s players mentality in this squad aren’t the same as BBC era (2011-2017). Personally I always think the biggest strengths of Juve’s 2010 is their mentality, 2016-2017 season was a good example of that. Napoli was in the first place for so many and many weeks and Juve had a mediocre start but after 38 matches we all know what happened.

nuanced

The goal this year is really finishing in the top 4 like last year and qualify for the CL. Anything else is a bonus. The teams needs time and has to effectively use the transfer windows over the next two years. We have been dealing with many injury problems (just lost Chiesa today), could not replace Ronaldo due to his last minute transfer etc. We are far too inconsistent to be a top contender with constant ups and downs and seem to lack the Juve spirit with players looking lazy, unmotivated at times.

The good thing is Allegri is back, and if there’s one person to turn things around, it is probably him. Unfortunately, Allegri has not been able to develop great solutions so far but then again we were in a bad shape prior to his arrival and he only spent half a season. I see the next two years as a continuity of the rebuilding phase where we can properly challenge Scudetto and CL on the condition that we pick the right targets and Allegri brings back the Juve spirit that is so far missing.
Chiesa would be a big loss for you. Haven't had the chance to watch you games, but considering your finished at the top of your CL group I didn't think things were as bad as your fans see it game to game.

Is Andrea Agnelli not respected nowadays? I always viewed him a key figure in turning around Juve after Calciopoli, both in sporting and financial terms. I always thought that Marotta gave his blessings to your disastrous free signings, not sure how influential Paratici was during his reign. The last of those signings (Ramsey and Rabiot) came in just after he left but the negotiations were probably started during his time. Seems a bit harsh to demote Agnelli for mistakes across the board.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I won't be getting giddy yet if I were them, roma just bottled it big time. Anyway they could be looking to overtake either of atalanta or Napoli (who due to spaleti's second half of the season dump) may fall out of the top4.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Is Andrea Agnelli not respected nowadays? I always viewed him a key figure in turning around Juve after Calciopoli, both in sporting and financial terms. I always thought that Marotta gave his blessings to your disastrous free signings, not sure how influential Paratici was during his reign. The last of those signings (Ramsey and Rabiot) came in just after he left but the negotiations were probably started during his time. Seems a bit harsh to demote Agnelli for mistakes across the board.
Agnelli is under a concerted attack from the media, the UEFA and the Serie A’s rivals for his role in the SuperLeague and the perceived new scandals.

Ironically, his biggest ally is Inter’s president Zhang… both agree Serie A (and UEFA) need a number of reforms and younger people on top, in order to make the ecosystem more attractive for abroad audiences and investors.

He is a distraction these days and his CEO cousin at Exor (the main stake owner) wants him to keep a lower profile until the ship is steadied. He might even be moved to a different branch of the conglomerate next month

Oranges038

There's probably a few other players out there that can be taken in on free loan deals to fill in for him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That's rough. You were already down to your bare bones in terms of attacking options with him fit. I can't see you selling Kulusevski now, which I think is good for you as I think he's got a tonne of potential.

Before this season, I never rated McKennie but, imo, he's improved so much this season, so that's a bonus. I also think Kaio Jorge looks like a brilliant prospect, too.
Allegri is a square peg in a round footballing hole, though, in that he is a big players men manager instead of a nerd or a teacher. Youngsters are not developed properly like under Sarri, if you want. The modern game needs both men management and drilled team movements to stay at the very top at international level.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Glad to hear he is excelling again. Barsa managed him awfully for his last few seasons.
I wouldn't say he was excelling. He's had an iffy time at Juve which is why he's probably leaving this window, but I think him importance to the team is understated. Last season for example, I don't think it was a coincidence Juve only lost one game when he started (which, funnily enough, an Arthur error cost them said match!). He brings balance and composure that is vital.

It was especially obvious in Europe. In the home game against Barca without Arthur, they were turned over. Second leg he starts and they are comfortable. When he goes off after an hour or so, Juve can't keep the ball and struggle, but they already had the match won. Then there's the Porto games. The 1st leg without him and 2nd leg with him are, again, night and day. They'd have qualified had be been available for the 1st leg.

RooneyLegend

I wouldn't say he was excelling. He's had an iffy time at Juve which is why he's probably leaving this window, but I think him importance to the team is understated. Last season for example, I don't think it was a coincidence Juve only lost one game when he started (which, funnily enough, an Arthur error cost them said match!). He brings balance and composure that is vital.

It was especially obvious in Europe. In the home game against Barca without Arthur, they were turned over. Second leg he starts and they are comfortable. When he goes off after an hour or so, Juve can't keep the ball and struggle, but they already had the match won. Then there's the Porto games. The 1st leg without him and 2nd leg with him are, again, night and day. They'd have qualified had be been available for the 1st leg.
The thing is because Arthur lacks a great passing range he can be hugely ineffective against teams that sit back. Play him against a pressing team and he'll be great. He's the definition of a big game player.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Alegri is a good coach but simply put he is a coward. Juve won't go much further under him they need to ditch him and I think they lost the opportunity to bring over inzaghi to inter.

Good choice to sustain success, but to build a team ? Nah.