Kalidou Koulibaly | Chelsea

MonkeysMagic

Saudi PIF (shareholders in Clearlake, joint investers with Boehly in Chel), owners of 5 clubs in SA, appear to be particularly interested in Chel players....but nothing to see here, its all above board!!

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Saudi PIF (shareholders in Clearlake, joint investers with Boehly in Chel), owners of 5 clubs in SA, appear to be particularly interested in Chel players....but nothing to see here, its all above board!!
They are neither investors in Chelsea nor shareholders in Clearlake. Clearlake manages and has a joint investment fund with them for luxury real estate. PIF invested€750M in the fund that Clearlake manages.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing to see here. Pl already investigated and cleared chelsea from it. So why this much delay happened to conclude this deals.

Now after cleared by pl again(Already scrutinized when clearlake took over chelsea) its second time they looked into it you are still moaning at things that nothing to do with clearlake and pif.

Morpheus 7

Yeah sure it's all above board. Chelsea you lot are the Wish version of man city, cooking the books.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Interesting that Chelsea selling players at a 50% loss a year later is somehow suspicious.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
the curse has been lifted. chelsea will be successful once more after being funded yet again with bloody money.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Interesting that Chelsea selling players at a 50% loss a year later is somehow suspicious.
It's also quite funny how most on the Caf seem to think Chelsea are the best at selling players, despite routinely selling for a huge loss/letting players leave for free.

Jezpeza

Another one who was meant to be the absolute tits and was valued at crazy money and ended up being total crud in the PL in reality. £100m plus touted for him at one stage IIRC. Ridiculous

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
And what does everyone else pay with, chocolate coins?
from my research, city are clean. united is a little fuzzy as their official noodle partner has been responsible for over three choking related deaths since the 50s. arsenal haven’t had any success, so it’s hard to say if that’s been funded by blood or not.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They are neither investors in Chelsea nor shareholders in Clearlake. Clearlake manages and has a joint investment fund with them for luxury real estate. PIF invested€750M in the fund that Clearlake manages.
Ah, so they're just partners? I'm sure that's totally fine, and this whole thing is just one big coincidence. Oh, shit, my propeller hat fell off again.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Ah, so they're just partners? I'm sure that's totally fine, and this whole thing is just one big coincidence. Oh, shit, my propeller hat fell off again.
Who the hell said they were partners?

They invest a minority stake in the broader Clearlake Capital fund, like probably half the other owners in the PL. Chelsea is technically owned by a holding company that Clearlake "invests" in - but minority stakeholders have no input into the fund's choices or direction. It's categorically incorrect to say that PIF have any input into the way Chelsea are run - unless you are also saying that everyone who has a pension managed by Clearlake also has influence over their decision-making.

criticalanalysis

It's also quite funny how most on the Caf seem to think Chelsea are the best at selling players, despite routinely selling for a huge loss/letting players leave for free.
A 50% loss is obviously terrible business but the alternative, which people are suggesting is that without the Saudi buyers, it could have been a 100% loss AND a player on big wages because no top club that can afford him in Europe would have taken him anyways. A bit like our Maguire and Martial.

That's of course if you believe this isn't above board.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
A 50% loss is obviously terrible business but the alternative, which people are suggesting is that without the Saudi buyers, it could have been a 100% loss AND a player on big wages because no top club that can afford him in Europe would have taken him anyways. A bit like our Maguire and Martial.

That's of course if you believe this isn't above board.
In fairness, there were quite a few Serie A teams sniffing around him. Personally was hoping we could use him as a makeweight in a potential Onana deal but suppose that ship has sailed.

Pintu

In fairness, there were quite a few Serie A teams sniffing around him. Personally was hoping we could use him as a makeweight in a potential Onana deal but suppose that ship has sailed.
Which Serie A club can afford his salary? And can they also afford to give you an FFP-breakeven transfer fee?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Which Serie A club can afford his salary? And can they also afford to give you an FFP-breakeven transfer fee?
His salary was due to be significantly lower next year given we missed out on the CL - his deal was very incentive-laden. Juve and Inter were linked pretty consistently, for what it's worth.

Certainly yes, Chelsea have gotten a get-out-of-jail-free card here with KK, but I don't think it's correct to say there were no top European clubs interested is all.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There’s also the alternative that no one is considering, that Chelsea were perfectly happy to keep him. He had a bad season but I don’t think the club is thinking he’s completely done at this level. He was a huge hit on the books but people are acting like he was a totally useless player that Chelsea were in a hurry to get rid of.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There’s also the alternative that no one is considering, that Chelsea were perfectly happy to keep him. He had a bad season but I don’t think the club is thinking he’s completely done at this level. He was a huge hit on the books but people are acting like he was a totally useless player that Chelsea were in a hurry to get rid of.
True - he definitely showed flashes. Thought he was genuinely excellent in both matches against Spurs versus a top striker.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I'd prefer to have him over Colwill in the squad next year.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Nah he had to go

He May have been a PL player a year or two ago but not in season 22/23 and highly unlikely to be one next season.

Yep there is a significant loss in terms of the fee but his book value would, if the £30 million ( or there about ) is correct then
having signed a 4 year deal the loss is what £4-5 million and getting his £300k wages off the books by say mid September makes it easy to understand .

But his departure gives a clear pathway for Colwill and he is a PL

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
True - he definitely showed flashes. Thought he was genuinely excellent in both matches against Spurs versus a top striker.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I'd prefer to have him over Colwill in the squad next year.
Nah he had to go

He May have been a PL player a year or two ago but not in season 22/23 and highly unlikely to be one next season.

Yep there is a significant loss in terms of the fee but his book value would, if the £30 million ( or there about ) is correct then
having signed a 4 year deal the loss is what £4-5 million and getting his £300k wages off the books by say mid September makes it easy to understand .

But his departure gives a clear pathway for Colwill and he is a PL
I’m just saying I don’t think the club ended the season thinking we definitely need to get rid of him. It was more of an opportunistic sale than a planned one to me. I think we were more than happy to keep him in rotation. The jam we’re getting out of isn’t, to me, FFP for this year. It’s having to continue to pay him 350K a week for the next 3-4 years.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m just saying I don’t think the club ended the season thinking we definitely need to get rid of him. It was more of an opportunistic sale than a planned one to me. I think we were more than happy to keep him in rotation. The jam we’re getting out of isn’t, to me, FFP for this year. It’s having to continue to pay him 350K a week for the next 3-4 years.
Yeah 100% - especially at a dramatically reduced wage (not to cast aspersions but suspect this may be part of why he was willing to go to SA as well).

Pintu

"I will be able to help my whole family to live well, from my parents to my cousins, and support the activities of my “Capitaine du Coeur” association in Senegal. We have started the construction of a clinic in my parents' village (...)"

Bobski

Did he drop off a lot at the end in Napoli or was he never as good as the hype? Remember watching him a few years back when the hype was at its most intense and thinking he looked a bit stiff and clumsy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did he drop off a lot at the end in Napoli or was he never as good as the hype? Remember watching him a few years back when the hype was at its most intense and thinking he looked a bit stiff and clumsy.
Drop off. He was looking shaky. After the AFCON win he had a mini resurgence but Napoli haven't missed him.

RedStarUnited

But we are terrible beyond comparison. In the last 12 months...

We are about to let one of our best keepers ever go for free - De Gea
We let our most expensive player ever go for free - Pogba
We also let a previous record holder go for free - Mata

Champ

Kante, Bakayoko, Christensen, Alonso, Rudiger, Pedro, Willian.

All players Chelsea have let go for free in the past three seasons.

bringbackbebe

Wouldn't have it any other way to be frank. Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Mata have done duck all last season and the players they were replaced with have all been fantastic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We also let one of our greatest winger go for free- Giggs
We also let one of our greatest CM go for free - Scholes
We also let two of our greatest CBs go for free - Rio and Vida
We also let one of our greatest attacker go for free - Rooney
We also let one of our greatest player go for free - Ronaldo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Alternatively we could have kept them and for the first 2 had to pay them 20m a year each to prolong their deals. That wouldn't have been smart either.

Mata should have gone years before we finally released him.

Mmm-Qatarian

We also let our greatest striker go for free - Weghorst

Champ

Please tell me this is sarcasm,

It's hard to tell in text form.

RedStarUnited

Alternatively we could have kept them and for the first 2 had to pay them 20m a year each to prolong their deals. That wouldn't have been smart either.

Mata should have gone years before we finally released him.
Wouldn't have it any other way to be frank. Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Mata have done duck all last season and the players they were replaced with have all been fantastic.
Who said anything about keeping them?

The point I was trying to make is, we should have sold these guys before we had to lose them for free.