Kalvin Phillips (PL20/21 Season)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he's a quality player, very good presser and has great passing range on him, but over the year he had his bits of sloppiness with his passing too. If he can become a truly top passer (which I think he has the ability to be) then he'd be a brilliant midfielder.

There's a lot of ways for Ole to build United's style, and most of our team (with Sancho) is pretty versatile in that they can handle playing a lot of different styles, the biggest thing is the midfield. If we want to go with a high pressing/counter pressing type team, Phillips wouldn't be a bad option there at all next to Fred (while not top level, would be very decent and a step forward all the same).

meamth

Think he is the modern mix of Box to box + Deep lying playmaker.

Wonder if he can step up for bigger clubs.

VictoriaRed

This:
Think he is the modern mix of Box to box + Deep lying playmaker.

Wonder if he can step up for bigger clubs.

Spot on. Closest thing I've seen to Roy Keane. Definitely not saying he's Keane, but CLOSEST...We need that sort of player at United.

Polar

Wow.. Wish we bought him one week ago. Great player and perfect for us..

Ekeke

Had some really good moments including his break away for the goal and a few good passes setting teammates free. Was England's best player for sure.

He was by no means perfect though. You'd expect him to get on the ball and make more than 33 passes for example, Matic, Pogba and Fred all doubled that in the premier league on average and Modric, Kovacic and Brozovic all made 50+. He did run the ball forward with 2 dribbles.

And Kovacic was the midfielder who won the ball the most with 4 tackles, 1 clearance and gave away 2 fouls while Phillips won 1 tackle, 1 interception, 0 clearances and 3 fouls. So what he did do, he made some real good contributions but didnt get on the ball a lot.

Can7onA

He's Leeds through and through and they are in the PL, this isn't an Alan Smith situation where they were in freefall.

Not a chance he would ever come to United.

dinostar77

The ideal midfield 3 setup needs a passer, creator, destroyer. If we had the right destroyer in midfield then our 3 man midfield could work:

Creator: bruno
Passer:Pogba
Destroyer ?

If Pogba does leave then we need a passer and still need a destroyer. Phillips could forfil the passer role. However as we have all said on here for awhile we need a top top CDM. Nail that and our midfield and defence will become much more solid.

dal

Didn’t solskjaer enquire about him the season we brought Maguire, I remember being heavily linked to him it’s what makes me think we won’t get him. Is it the Leeds rivalry maybe?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Didn’t solskjaer enquire about him the season we brought Maguire, I remember being heavily linked to him it’s what makes me think we won’t get him. Is it the Leeds rivalry maybe?
I think you'd be hard pressed, but so would anybody else. He's Leeds born, brought through the Leeds academy and absolutely adored by our fans to whom he's the primary avatar of Bielsa's transformation. He and Bielsa also seem to share a special bond - I can't think of any way he'd agitate for a transfer and I can't think Bielsa would want to sell him in any scenario. Our owners have also worked extremely hard to build a level of trust which was sorely missing between fan and club. Selling Phillips would go a long way to undermining that and might also undermine their relationship with Bielsa (who's notably sensitive about such things).

Obviously every player has his price and we're still a long way short of being a top club so he's definitely gettable. It's just I suspect the number would have to be stratospheric to pry him away. We seem like we're on the up, we're not broke, we all love him and the guy is central to the success we've had so far.