Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

The media overrates him ?
What's hard to understand, the British media have a record of operating young English players, he had a good Euros but in my opinion the media attention he was given was over the top.

So yes the media overated him.

Zoo

I like Phillips but he wouldn't be my first choice for that role. I would even take Neves over him.
It would be interesting to see a poll between Phillips, Neves and Tielemans. Three affordable midfielders who could be on the move this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What's hard to understand, the British media have a record of operating young English players, he had a good Euros but in my opinion the media attention he was given was over the top.

He's not even that young, he's 26 and will be 27 in December.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It would be interesting to see a poll between Phillips, Neves and Tielemans. Three affordable midfielders who could be on the move this summer.
Tbh of these, if we ignore injury records, I would take Phillips. Only one who is suited to playing as a true DM or could just join Fred/Bruno. I just don't think he is ultimately good enough, but his style is at least more or less what we should go for. Just the level and cost is nowhere near what we need. Would be too expensive for a subpar player who has a lot of injuries.

Tielemans/Neves i don't think would be an improvement over Fred for the team, while both would need the same partner that Fred/Bruno need anyway.

Trequarista10

Tbh of these, if we ignore injury records, I would take Phillips. Only one who is suited to playing as a true DM or could just join Fred/Bruno. I just don't think he is ultimately good enough, but his style is at least more or less what we should go for. Just the level and cost is nowhere near what we need. Would be too expensive for a subpar player who has a lot of injuries.

Tielemans/Neves i don't think would be an improvement over Fred for the team, while both would need the same partner that Fred/Bruno need anyway.
Neves and Fred would be a very compatible duo, surely?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Neves and Fred would be a very compatible duo, surely?
Fred needs more security behind him, Neves also needs that security. He's super stationary and is a deep playmaker (we need that part) but not all that much of a defensive guy. Like Wolves play with 3 CB's and Dendoncker behind him (and Mourinho partners him). Its a completely different type of set up, and while it's overly defensive... That's that's an extra CB and an extra CDM compared to what he'd have here. It'd be like playing Ruben Neves, Fred and Matic in midfield with Varane, Lindelof and Maguire in the defensive line. Ruben Neves would need in a 4231 a more defensively solid partner. Same as what Fred needs (just they need different types for that partner). Ruben Neves for me would be a Fred replacement, though not an upgrade anyway. But as a partner, people would walk through our midfield with ease and pockets would be open all day.

Phillips is a natural as a DM who can pick the ball up off the CB's and play passes. Just don't think he's anywhere near the required level.

As quality of player, I'd go:
  1. Tielemans = Fred
  2. Ruben Neves
  3. Phillips
As suitability for what we need, I'd go:
  1. Phillips
  2. Ruben Neves
  3. Tielemans

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Please no I really think we can do better than this
Statistically better than Fabinho and was Englands best midfielder at the world cup. Solid for Leeds in the last 2 years, just depends if he's over the injury problems.

He'd be a fantastic signing.

Swedish_Plumber

Good option as an alternative to the expensive signing Rice would be ( he is a good player!). We need to start spending money smarter if we are restricted by the owners. PL proven too unlike some of the cheaper options from Europe.

Would need 2 more midfield signings though and apparently he hates us so who the feck knows at the end of the day.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think Phillips makes a lot of sense for United.

The pivot midfielder in a 4-3-3 is so important and its actually really hard to find a guy that can both shield the defense and is reliable enough in possession that he can play in the middle on his own when you are building up. Phillips may never be the best in the world at this job, but he has shown at Leeds that he can do it at a reasonably high level. Ten Hag will need a player like that so that he can start to implement his system.

Sometimes scouting just needs to be as simple as considering "OK, what do we need this player to do in the system and who can we find that has experienced success with similar responsibilities at another club."

Kag

On paper, he sort of what we need in that deeper role. Whether he’s actually good enough or not is a different debate altogether. I’m honestly not sure. At least he’d put himself about a bit.

Pickle85

Hard worker but not good enough on the ball for a top team, for me. So probably perfect for us (ha ha :boring: )

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Good player. But would almost certainly cost way too much for what he’d bring to the squad.

We really need to start making the most of the limited transfer funds we have.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I can understand the rumor as the new coach needs player who can dictate tempo.

Devil may care

He was decent in the Euros for England but hit and miss when I've seen him for Leeds, just seems like a mid table midfielder to me.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Statistically better than Fabinho and was Englands best midfielder at the world cup. Solid for Leeds in the last 2 years, just depends if he's over the injury problems.

He'd be a fantastic signing.
He was good for Leeds and England last season, but Shaw and Maguire were very good last season yet now look at them. Phillips was good while the rest of the Leeds team were good. He hasn't really pulled up any trees this season tbh. Form is temporary, class is permanent and unfortunately he had the former for a while.

If the club are striving to get back to the top level, they don't want to be starting with over rated players like this guy.

NewYorkRed

He’s actually not that bad. Problem is we need someone in that position to be good both defensively and have the ability to dictate the tempo and keep the team moving forward. He can’t do the latter unfortunately.

Blood Mage

Good player but he's injury prone and for the price tag there are better options available.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would have been good as a punt when he was younger but hasn’t developed much. So unless ETH really wants him, I’d pass

Cathy Ferguson

Would have been good as a punt when he was younger but hasn’t developed much. So unless ETH really wants him, I’d pass
So what are our options if Tchouameni and Rice are out of our reach? I am not a big fan of Philips either and Leeds won't sell him on the cheap.

Roboc7

Are there really no other players than England’s two midfielders that we could sign. Obviously this is all just speculation but would be worrying if our solution to not being able to afford the over priced Rice is to go for a worse player who is cheaper but equally over priced.

Rice would cost £100m, Phillips £60m, if they are players we are genuinely pursuing them we’re not learning from our mistakes.

Kaos

Kamara for DM and Neves
I’m sure the new manager and Ralf might have a few ideas too
Ralf supposedly wanted Haidara didn't he? Those rumours seem to have died down since January, though its possible the journos just put 2 and 2 together and picked a random Leipzig player and ran with it.

Kamara and Neves would be a shrewd bit of business if we could do it - £40million for the two of them (considering Kamara would be on a free) and that would be the midfield acquisitions taken care of for the summer, leaving us a fair bit of change to bolster the several other areas.

BlueHaze

Same. If he was younger there would still be a lot of room for improvement but he's just another hyped english player. I think links to us are rubbish.

Cathy Ferguson

Kamara for DM and Neves
I’m sure the new manager and Ralf might have a few ideas too
Yes, and those ideas do not involve overpaying for English mediocre players.

I can see us trying to sign 1 or 2 players on a free transfer considering the amount of players we need to sign. 1 CM will not be enough and Kamara and Neves would be good business.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes, and those ideas do not involve overpaying for English mediocre players.

I can see us trying to sign 1 or 2 players on a free transfer considering the amount of players we need to sign. 1 CM will not be enough and Kamara and Neves would be good business.
Didn't Lage say Neves is 100m or something?

Either way, if Ten Hag wants Phillips then nothing wrong with it since Phillips is quality PL proven with international caps, and has been coached to play in very open, high line and attacking team. So there is a chance that he might even more suitable than Neves in ETH system since Neves has been coached to play in more defensive set up team.

jesperjaap

I would agree but go a stage further, I thought he was pretty average in the Euros with a couple of rally good performances. Think a couple of assists (yes it makes good stats) and some great media interviews where he came across very well bought an over bloated opinion of his Euros performance, which was by no means bad, but I dont think he was brilliant.

I think he is a decent player, his positioning is good, his range of passing is good....but I think there are loads of young players around Europe with a much higher ceiling and better defensively thanhim. Personally I was bery frustrated the number of times in the EUros he was over eager to win the ball and lunged in, were countless occasions where players saw it comign and turned him, also think he struggles a bit under pressure.

I would be underwhelmed with him as a signing, because he has been playing in the lower leagues, I think people think of him as a youngster....he is 26, hardly old, but a player reaching his peak years. He would improve our first eleven for sure....but for me, because our defensive midfielders, theres only one and he is old, everyone else has proved theey cant play there consistently, would be other options Id rather have irrelvant of fees....at £50m there would be loads I would rather take considering prices

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good player, Leeds through and through, so I'm sceptical that he would join United.
To be honest, it's all about building a team, and not necessarily the best defenders, midfield or forward players, but the players that fit in to a system that suits those players. If Ten Hag wants him, then I'm sure the club will go all out to try to get him in.
I've always liked Philips, but he does get a few injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.