Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be a good signing and is suited to ten Hag's football.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is he actually good? I somehow always miss his good games.

EtH

I am not a fan of this story at all.

JuriM

Coming from a foreign fan who really isn't into this local rivalry with Leeds - I really don't see a problem here, but most of you seem to have one with Leeds, so I am leaving myself open here. I do rate him as a player really much and he has the right playstyle for a high-intensity possession-based team.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I watched more of him last season (and the Euros matches) and thought he'd be a good fit for us.. preferred him over Rice last season.

Rice has definitely kicked on and it doesn't look like KP has BUT I would note he's been playing in a disaster of a team and had some injuries.

If they were the same price, it'd be Rice. If it's £40m v £100m (Moyes, feck off you shyster), I'd be ok with KP.

L1nk

I don't really watch him, I thought he was way younger than 26 for some reason!? What kind of midfielder is he, would he be a DM? a Pogba replacement? a better player than Fred/McTominay ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not like my opinion is worth much but I don't think so, seems to be one of those players no one notices for 90 minutes then the commentator will inexplicably give him MOTM and everyone will pretend he did really well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Leeds are our feeder club, Leeds are our feeder club;
Leeds are our feeder club, Leeds are our feeder club...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's been utilised in Bielsa's man oriented pressing approach which places a lot of pressure on the defensive players and can be a very demanding approach.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That Leeds team had one hell of a defensive record with him as the DM earlier in the season. I’m fairly sure they started winning when he got injured. I also remember him being hauled off in embarrassment at HT during the 6-1 game. Other than all that I know very little about him outside of his england games.

Dolf

Has been out for 4 months, although hamstring injuries usually don't really change a player do they?

Leg-End

Wouldn’t come cheap which is basically what we will say to any transfer if we want to improve.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I watched more of him last season (and the Euros matches) and thought he'd be a good fit for us.. preferred him over Rice last season.

Rice has definitely kicked on and it doesn't look like KP has BUT I would note he's been playing in a disaster of a team and had some injuries.

If they were the same price, it'd be Rice. If it's £40m v £100m (Moyes, feck off you shyster), I'd be ok with KP.
I can't judge the player since whenever he plays I don't really notice him or care for him but why would the choice be between Rice and Philips? Do you rate them highly or is just based on how the press seemingly limited our options to these two players?

MUFC OK

Really depends on this one, do not want if it's over £40m. He would bring energy and tenacity in midfield.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’d be a much better version of McTominay for me, but wouldn’t be my first choice.

I’d be offering Scott to Leeds in any deal too.

Classical Mechanic

Has been out for 4 months, although hamstring injuries usually don't really change a player do they?
He's missed most of the season, only 12 appearances. As a player he's a tough tackler, he can produce passing displays like Paul Scholes and he can run 13km in a game. He can play as a 6 or an 8. Bielsa rated him very highly and made it a condition of him signing a new contract that he wouldn't be sold.

Blood Mage

Phillips isn't good enough. What is with United's Brexit transfer strategy?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Cheaper than Rice but never been much impressed by him, is he of the level we should he aiming for?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He’d be a much better version of McTominay for me, but wouldn’t be my first choice.

I’d be offering Scott to Leeds in any deal too.
Agree with this, he wouldn't be my first choice but he would allow us to buy a second midfielder.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They're not very similar players, but recently there was a price touted for Tchouameni that was less than half of the pipedream fee West Ham hold out for Rice. I guess Philips would also be priced out of a move to clubs not willing to pay a Maguire-fee.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Would be a good fit as his long passing will enable us to stretch the pitch which ETH likes to do. Hope this can happen.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Can someone on the FBref site compare him to Mctominay? I think the “much better than Mctominay” crowd are in for an almighty shock.
he can pass the ball. Use your eyes and stop relying on numbers.

Classical Mechanic

Can someone on the FBref site compare him to Mctominay? I think the “much better than Mctominay” crowd are in for an almighty shock.
Completely different player. If we are in for him then I assume that Ten Hag wants him for his system. Phillips is one of the best long passers (see my previous post) in the league and is better defensively being one of the best pressers in the league. Phillips has an engine.

https://fbref.com/en/players/4f565d77/scout/10728/Kalvin-Phillips-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/scout/11160/Scott-McTominay-Scouting-Report

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
This seems unlikely, surely he wouldn't join Utd?

I think he'd be a good signing if he was around £50m. He's not gonna set the world alight but he's the type of player United really need right now to get on the right track - consistent, hard-working and tactically intelligent. Good range of passing and decent set-piece delivery too. The sort of foundation piece you need sometimes as you can't build a starting XI of £100m footballers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agree with this, he wouldn't be my first choice but he would allow us to buy a second midfielder.
Personally, I’m not certain that we absolutely NEED a second midfielder. At least not one from the market. I’d like to see Hannibal get a shot at replacing Pogba in the squad next season. Then there could be Garner and Beek returning potentially.

gajender

Phillips and McGinn along with Rice are the midfielders currently linked with United by somewhat reputable sources , can't United scouts and management widen the search and look outside the obvious especially when two of them are hardly good enough .

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I don't really watch him, I thought he was way younger than 26 for some reason!? What kind of midfielder is he, would he be a DM? a Pogba replacement? a better player than Fred/McTominay ?
I would say either he plays alongside Fred in a 4-2-3-1 or he sits in that Rodri type role and you play two free 8's ahead of him personally. Think he'd work fine in either.

Status
Not open for further replies.