Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not bringing him up as an option to sign him - because we shouldn't only target English players ( just as we should not disregard quality English players) -

But is James ward Prowse a better player than Kalvin Phillips?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Thanks for the explanation. I just have one small remark, PL experience isn't a thing for players either, PL players also need a settling period in their new clubs people seem to overlook that it also apply to them and happens every single year. There is also a big difference between playing for a bottom half team and top team, the game is played differently for these teams even if they are in the same league.
Personally, from 40 years of watching Div.1/the PL.. I think it is a thing, not an exact science but definitely there.

On average, I'd expect KP (lives here, played English/PL football for years, played the teams he'd play against with United) to fit in easier than someone from abroad (homesick, pace of the game, tougher opponents down to 20th/no easy games, weather, language, etc).

Just my opinion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not bringing him up as an option to sign him - because we shouldn't only target English players ( just as we should not disregard quality English players) -

But is James ward Prowse a better player than Kalvin Phillips?
Ward Prowse can’t play as DM. Phillips is better in his overall game as midfielder while Ward Prowse is more superior in crossing and set pieces than Phillips.

JB7

Well firstly there's the bit of my post you've taken out of the quote. Second, he's the holding midfielder for a team that ships goals like they're going out of fashion. Third, there are considerably better players available at clubs that don't hate us and would be more likely to do business. Fourth, for a relatively young player he misses more games than you'd like. Fifth, he's nowhere near as good on the ball as people think he is. Sixth, he makes a lot of little errors that don't get coverage because he doesn't play for a top club - which is why Southgate doesn't use him as the main holding midfielder. Seventh, I'll refer you back to the first point about him and his whole family hating United.

I don't even dislike him as a player, he's alright, just not a player that we should be looking at. In a world where a player like Ruben Neves is potentially available, signing Phillips is absolutely ridiculous.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Personally, from 40 years of watching Div.1/the PL.. I think it is a thing, not an exact science but definitely there.

On average, I'd expect KP (lives here, played English/PL football for years, played the teams he'd play against with United) to fit in easier than someone from abroad (homesick, pace of the game, tougher opponents down to 20th/no easy games, weather, language, etc).

Just my opinion.
I think that it's a narrative sold by the press because I can easily find players that moved within the PL and needed time to adapt or never did, ti represents a large chunk of transfers. Some are british and others aren't. To me it's pretty obvious that it is a case by case thing and something that cannot be predicted from the outside or extrapolated.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There are two clubs we always got it right when we signed them from, Leeds and Sporting. Signing players who played or used to play for Leeds never go wrong. Cantona, Rio, Irwin. :lol:

goptun

Interesting option. Hard to imagine him pushing for the move if Leeds are reluctant or don't end up getting relegated. Isn't he Leeds through and through?

According to Transfermarkt, Declan Rice's contract is up in 2024 (same as Kalvin Phillips). Moyes is bluffing, isn't he? They are running out of rope, next year Rice will have just a year left.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like him. Still relatively young, knows what's expected to play in a high intensity, pressing set-up, great attitude and a good well-rounded midfielder.
Needs a haircut though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Interesting option. Hard to imagine him pushing for the move if Leeds are reluctant or don't end up getting relegated. Isn't he Leeds through and through?

According to Transfermarkt, Declan Rice's contract is up in 2024 (same as Kalvin Phillips). Moyes is bluffing, isn't he? They are running out of rope, next year Rice will have just a year left.
Rice‘s contract is up to 2025 due to club’s one year extension.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

West Ham have an option for an extra year.

SoCross

What I like about Phillips is his mobility and workrate. But aren't him and Fred a bit alike?

Real Name

He'd be a good addition imo despite a suspecting choice of shoes. What is his price?

Well firstly there's the bit of my post you've taken out of the quote. Second, he's the holding midfielder for a team that ships goals like they're going out of fashion. Third, there are considerably better players available at clubs that don't hate us and would be more likely to do business. Fourth, for a relatively young player he misses more games than you'd like. Fifth, he's nowhere near as good on the ball as people think he is. Sixth, he makes a lot of little errors that don't get coverage because he doesn't play for a top club - which is why Southgate doesn't use him as the main holding midfielder. Seventh, I'll refer you back to the first point about him and his whole family hating United.

I don't even dislike him as a player, he's alright, just not a player that we should be looking at. In a world where a player like Ruben Neves is potentially available, signing Phillips is absolutely ridiculous.
Thanks.

Saw the rest in first post, just curious that's all.

I have doubts about KP too (I've posted there are probably better players out there) but where we are as a club (no CL), some of them won't come or their fee/wages will be ridiculous. If it takes the next manager 3-5 years and steps, that's ok with me as long as theres a backed plan and progress.

Cheers

I think that it's a narrative sold by the press because I can easily find players that moved within the PL and needed time to adapt or never did, ti represents a large chunk of transfers. Some are british and others aren't. To me it's pretty obvious that it is a case by case thing and something that cannot be predicted from the outside or extrapolated.
Yip, hence the "on average" comment.

For example, I don't recall Vieira having early issues. A lot depends on individual mentality and jumping in 100%.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What I like about Phillips is his mobility and workrate. But aren't him and Fred a bit alike?
I see a lot of posts about him as a CDM but his best stats all seem to be aggressive pressing, winning the ball higher up the field etc. -- similar to Fred like you say. His passing stats are pretty average too, and his ball carrying is non-existent.

Chairman Steve

So is there substance to this?

I thought this was lazy journalism by putting two and two together, in this case ‘Utd central midfield sucks’ and ‘Phillips is a good central midfielder for England and doesn’t play for one of the big current teams’, resulting in this link.

I was under the impression he was Leeds through and through.

lenny_1248

In a world where a player like Ruben Neves is potentially available, signing Phillips is absolutely ridiculous.
Yes, let's buy Neves and play him as a DM [which he's not].

Phillips is a better player than Neves [overall].

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Won't join from Leeds. Likely to go to Villa I reckon.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be honest, you could have the best CB or DM in the world and they would be less of a player from a defensive aspect in Biesla's kamikaze style.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Despite of signed to be a striker, from what I remember, Smith was alright when we converted him to midfield until he got that horrible injury.

OT_United

I genuinely think he would be a great signing. Exactly what we need. But it won't happen, he'll sign a contract with Leeds if/when they secure safety.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’m not against signing him, he’s decent but I was under the impression that he had said he wouldn’t sign for us from Leeds and wanted a new deal at the scum.
I also wonder if Neves would be better suited.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Assigning blame to Phillips for being the DM in a team that concedes a lot of goals is pretty silly given the way Bielsa's Leeds play. It's pretty clear the root cause of the goals isn't down to Phillips.

That said, given he's only really performed well in that very particular Bielsa set-up I would certainly be cautious in terms of assuming he'd transfer across easily to a different set-ups.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I feel Neves still needs a conductor alongside him, like Moutinho.

I mean, we could sign both. Our midfield could really do with the quality.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I personally prefer Phillips over Neves. I used to rate Neves but the more I watched him, I became less impressed with Neves. It seems he’s been too overrated due to his long passing range ability. He’s benched by William Calvarho, 35 years old Moutinho, Palhinha, and Danilo, the bottom of pecking order in that list, I raise my doubt.

CraftySoAndSo

From Leeds to Man United.
No, Leeds. You mentioned Rojo for Sporting and I added Smith for Leeds.
I know Smith came from Leeds. I'd bolded the word Sporting referencing Rojo as a transfer that wasn't great and got a response about Smith so i replied in jest about Smith coming from there as well because i'd bolded Sporting. Now instead of thinking people would get it i now come across as someone who doesn't know anything about football :(

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I know Smith came from Leeds. I'd bolded the word Sporting referencing Rojo as a transfer that wasn't great and got a response about Smith so i replied in jest about Smith coming from there as well because i'd bolded Sporting. Now instead of thinking people would get it i now come across as someone who doesn't know anything about football :(
:lol:

Don't worry, I assumed that I was the one that should have been clearer. Your knowledges haven't been questioned, yet.

Bwuk

Depending on the fee I'd take him in a heart beat. 40m or under.

Status
Not open for further replies.