Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The one reason I can see this happening is again Ten Hag's history of using CDM/CB hybrid players that fall in to makeshift back 3's.

He did it with de jong and Alvarez (maybe even Blind) - I have a feeling the midfielders he target for that CDM role is Rice, Phillips or Kamara.

Mainoldo

Won't join from Leeds. Likely to go to Villa I reckon.
Listen to what you just typed. Won’t leave Leeds to go United so he’ll go Aston Villa.

Great career move for anyone who’s just a fan and not a football player.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We should be nowhere near this guy, we need technically gifted midfielders that can possess the gift of ball retention, as well as picking out forward passes 8/10 as well as being defensively sound. In other words he's not the right balance.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I know Smith came from Leeds. I'd bolded the word Sporting referencing Rojo as a transfer that wasn't great and got a response about Smith so i replied in jest about Smith coming from there as well because i'd bolded Sporting. Now instead of thinking people would get it i now come across as someone who doesn't know anything about football :(
Lesson for the day.

Half jokey posts or posts that aren't 100% crystal (and even posts where you have a differing opinion to the experts on here) don't go down well in the FF.

JB7

Thanks.

Saw the rest in first post, just curious that's all.

I have doubts about KP too (I've posted there are probably better players out there) but where we are as a club (no CL), some of them won't come or their fee/wages will be ridiculous. If it takes the next manager 3-5 years and steps, that's ok with me as long as theres a backed plan and progress.

Cheers
I agree with you, all I want to see is a plan for progression. Don't get me wrong if that means Phillips is a part of it I'll support it, it just isn't one that makes a lot of sense to me when there are better options available.

Yes, let's buy Neves and play him as a DM [which he's not].

Phillips is a better player than Neves [overall].
I watch a lot of Wolves as I've got a lot of mates who are STHs and while you're correct that on paper, Neves plays as an orthodox central midfielder, in reality he occupies what would be the holding midfield position in our system and does it considerably better than any of our players. The fact they play 3 at the back allows him more room to step forward but his general positional play (particularly out of possession) is that of a holding midfielder.

For the record the heat maps back up the eye test on this:
Neves: https://www.sofascore.com/player/ruben-neves/280955
Phillips: https://www.sofascore.com/player/kalvin-phillips/786028

And to compare with our current options:
McTominay: https://www.sofascore.com/player/scott-mctominay/879346
Matic: https://www.sofascore.com/player/nemanja-matic/44241

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Listen to what you just typed. Won’t leave Leeds to go United so he’ll go Aston Villa.

Great career move for anyone who’s just a fan and not a football player.
Not really. Not like we're going to be challenging for anything any time soon. Is it worth going from being idolised to despised in his own town.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lesson for the day.

Half jokey posts or posts that aren't 100% crystal (and even posts where you have a differing opinion to the experts on here) don't go down well in the FF.
You are taking that conversation and disagreement way more seriously than I did. Cheer up.:)

Mainoldo

There are two clubs we always got it right when we signed them from, Leeds and Sporting. Signing players who played or used to play for Leeds never go wrong. Cantona, Rio, Irwin. :lol:
Might want to fact check the Irwin one. I’m sure it was Oldham or Ipswich. It defo wasn’t Leeds.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Might want to fact check the Irwin one. I’m sure it was Oldham or Ipswich. It defo wasn’t Leeds.
We bought Irwin from Oldham yes, but he played for Leeds before Oldham. 72 games actually.

Mainoldo

Not really. Not like we're going to be challenging for anything any time soon. Is it worth going from being idolised to despised in his own town.
We are literally one season away from winning a cup every season. Aston Villa don’t have that scope and probably never will.

Nobody cares. He’s hardly going to be a man under fire in his area. Lee Sharpe, Alan Smith, Borthwick-Jackson, Cantona. The list goes on but they have all been fine. Your just romanticising on something that’s not there. Maybe it Leeds was competitive it would be a different story. But even then… we Still got Cantona and sold them Sharpe.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just a comparison between him and Fabinho. I didn’t include Fabinho last season since he played as CB.

Mainoldo

But he played or used to play for Leeds. Not sure why signed directly from Leeds has anything to do with the post your replied?
I just don’t get the relivance. You said players we get from Leeds and listed them. We didn’t get him Leeds. Similar to Arsenal saying United give them good players and name David Platt.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I just don’t get the relivance. You said players we get from Leeds and listed them. We didn’t get him Leeds. Similar to Arsenal saying United give them good players and name David Platt.
That’s what happened when someone only read half of the post. You should read it again.

There are two clubs we always got it right when we signed them from, Leeds and Sporting. Signing players who played or used to play for Leeds never go wrong. Cantona, Rio, Irwin. :lol:

Orion.

He’s a marginal improvement, which is why United need to do in various positions next season IMO. There’s no point in spending most of the budget on a marquee signing who’s absence will take you back to square one - signing 3 ‘good’ midfielders will help create a platform upon which the future can be built.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Meh. He's injured far too often for my liking. And would come at a massive cost because it's premier league. Stumping up that much for him, might as well double it and go for Rice at that point.

I would much rather go for someone like Kamara on a free. Looking inside the premier league for signings this summer is a bad idea, considering the work we need to do.

Kamara on a free, leave the budget to sort out RW and ST since there aren't low priced quality options like there are in midfield.

I agree with you, all I want to see is a plan for progression. Don't get me wrong if that means Phillips is a part of it I'll support it, it just isn't one that makes a lot of sense to me when there are better options available.

I watch a lot of Wolves as I've got a lot of mates who are STHs and while you're correct that on paper, Neves plays as an orthodox central midfielder, in reality he occupies what would be the holding midfield position in our system and does it considerably better than any of our players. The fact they play 3 at the back allows him more room to step forward but his general positional play (particularly out of possession) is that of a holding midfielder.

For the record the heat maps back up the eye test on this:
Neves: https://www.sofascore.com/player/ruben-neves/280955
Phillips: https://www.sofascore.com/player/kalvin-phillips/786028

And to compare with our current options:
McTominay: https://www.sofascore.com/player/scott-mctominay/879346
Matic: https://www.sofascore.com/player/nemanja-matic/44241
I like that heat map thing (and the other details on it), will save as a favourite.

Scott stands out slightly compared to the others in the heat being right sided. Guess as plays in a two more (in the very loosest sense of the meaning)

Dazzmondo

I like Philips if he is reasonably priced. Didn't think he would be open to joining us since I believe he's a genuine Leeds fan. His injury record, this season in particular does worry me though.

You are taking that conversation and disagreement way more seriously than I did. Cheer up.:)
Just a post to that poster after his sad face emoji and a (half) tongue in cheek comment about the FF in general. Not today, not any specific post(s).

You are taking those posts and assuming. I'm fine thanks... and have learned that what I mean v what my posts say, don't always transfer. :)

izec

Good squad player, would be a starter here given the competition, but i think we can and should do better.

OleGunnar20

Decent signing for the right fee. Overpay and he'll be the DM Maguire in a year or two. 40m ish sound about fair?

Kaos

Decent signing for the right fee. Overpay and he'll be the DM Maguire in a year or two. 40m ish sound about fair?
It might be fair but no way Leeds sell one of their most important players, an England starter no less, to one of their most bitter rivals for £40million, not unless they get relegated.

Its the same with West Ham and Rice. You could argue he shouldn't be worth more than £50-60million, but we'd be lucky if they'd accept double that.

It's precisely why I hope we move away from signing overpriced English players. I still feel bummed about spunking £130million on the chuckle brothers AWB and Maguire :wenger:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It might be fair but no way Leeds sell one of their most important players, an England starter no less, to one of their most bitter rivals for £40million, not unless they get relegated.

Its the same with West Ham and Rice. You could argue he shouldn't be worth more than £50-60million, but we'd be lucky if they'd accept double that.

It's precisely why I hope we move away from signing overpriced English players. I still feel bummed about spunking £130million on the chuckle brothers AWB and Maguire :wenger:
Rice is no where near Maguire or AWB. Rice is more near the quality of Sancho; an English player you missed out on.

Kaos

Rice is no where near Maguire or AWB. Rice is more near the quality of Sancho; an English player you missed out on.
I'm not comparing their qualities. Merely pointing to the fact that we tend to get taken to the cleaners regarding English players, and when it doesn't work out (as is the case with AWB and Maguire) its a ludicrously expensive mistake.

I don't know how good Kalvin Phillips would be for us. He could be our next Carrick for all we know, but we'd still likely be expected to cough up a fee that's hugely inflated considering he's English and we're a domestic (historical) rival they'd ideally not sell to. I just think we'd be better off trying our luck with cheaper or more reasonably priced options.

Sancho was a bit different since we bought him from a Bundesliga team, and I actually think his price point was warranted considering his age and potential to be a generational talent. I have no doubt if he were playing for Spurs or West Ham that we'd be expected to cough up £120million or something ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.