Karl Pilkington: Supporting United is like having a tortoise as a pet

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Supporting Manchester United at the moment is "like having a tortoise as a pet," according to comedian, TV presenter and Red Devils fan Karl Pilkington.

Pilkington, who takes on BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson in predicting this week's Premier League fixtures, was a boyhood Manchester City fan but switched sides to United in the 1990s.

"A bit of me now wishes I could change again, because City are good, aren't they?" Pilkington explained.

"But you can't, can you? I realise that now as I get older - that it is about being loyal, isn't it?

"Still, I feel like supporting United is like having a tortoise as a pet. I had a tortoise, and they are not entertaining to watch. You don't watch them, but you know you have got a bit of responsibility to show some interest.

"That is what I do with United. I keep an eye on them.

"I don't watch them every game because, at the minute, that is a waste of 90 minutes. I just look at the result and if they win it is a bonus, I have no expectations any more."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45651999

He's 'aving a go...

Fridge chutney

I'm sure most of the United fans on this website wish they could switch to City too Karl (Well, those who haven't already).

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If you can't support us when were losing you shouldn't support us when we are winning.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Actual footage of the moment he saw Phil Jones stepping up for a penalty

Leg-End

I was in Texas the other week, I fell over and landed on my knees in a puddle.

Our kid isn’t wrong.

Pagh Wraith

I wonder if the lads with big heads and webbed hands could form a decent centre-back partnership.
:lol:

I am actually listening to an XFM show at the moment when this thread popped up. He's talking about the little fellas in wheelchairs at Wimbledon. HIT IT, NET. :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like the analogy, but he switched from City to United in the 90's, when he was in his 20's. That doesn't sit well with me at all. Now he wishes he could switch back. Just a gloryhunter then...

el3mel

That's actually pretty much my feeling ever since LVG second season. :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it bad that I don't know who he is?
Not really if your from Norway. Got famous appearing on Ricky Gervais's radio show by being a funny miserable bastard. Did a show where Ricky sent him around the world putting him in situations to piss him off. Funny guy who made the most out of his luck.

Irrational.

I think Woody needs to send him a word of warning about where his loyalties lie, in a firm letter addressed to Mr. K. Dilkington.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I like the analogy, but he switched from City to United in the 90's, when he was in his 20's. That doesn't sit well with me at all. Now he wishes he could switch back. Just a gloryhunter then...
This is from another interview:

An avid Red, Karl is happy to chat in his inimitable style about his football passions, which might have worked out rather differently. “I’m from the Racecourse estate in Sale,” he explains. “Me mam bought me a City kit for Christmas, so I tried supporting them for a bit. But watching them put me off football for a few years.

"Me dad used to drive a black cab and I used to come with him and sit in the front on a crate. We'd get a few jobs at Old Trafford on matchnights and the atmosphere just felt special. I started to spend more time there when me mam got a job in Lou Macari’s chippy. That’s probably when I started supporting United.”

Karl’s first game was a home match with Everton. “I didn’t really watch the match,” he recalls. “I was more interested in an old fella singing all these funny abusive chants. He had his back to the game and just stood there singing his head off, as if he was a contestant on Stars in Their Eyes with Tourette’s."
Seems earlier than the 90's.

skeelz

Watch out for Jose to fire back at his press conference :D

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's a sign of the times when we can't even entertain a bloke who's lifelong ambition has always been to kick a duck up the arse.
Yeah. But I mean, we're talking about a man who sits in his garden and watches himself drool to find out if he'll run out of saliva. You'd figure he had the patience to watch us.

I remember he said he doesn't care about football that much because he gets annoyed easily and its nothing he really can do to change what upsets him, so why care? And I agree with him to a degree there, personally. However...
He also believes a seal is a mix between a fish and a dog.