Karl Pilkington: Supporting United is like having a tortoise as a pet

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You don’t believe this do you?

He was literally just a miserable fecker that Ricky and Merchent decided to exaggerate for television.

His ‘outlook and opinions’ we’re just a forced result of him playing that part for TV.
Sadly people don’t get that. It’s like they think Ricky is also David Brent personified and Coogan is also Alan Partridge

NYAS

How can you have found him hilarious before but are “bored” of him “now”? He barely does anything nowadays, that video was 6 months ago and he posts on social media about 4 times a year. I’d argue there isn’t any content to get bored with. Just say you never liked him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was funny before he was a celebrity, working the desk for Gervais and Merchant on XFM radio.

These days he just seems to be a caricature of his old self.
I agree, I still enjoyed Moaning of Life and An Idiot Abroad, but he's definitely playing the part by that point.

The sitcom he did, Sick of It, was also rather watchable too. But it's odd when he pops up doing interviews on morning telly or whatever.

jungledrums

How can you have found him hilarious before but are “bored” of him “now”? He barely does anything nowadays, that video was 6 months ago and he posts on social media about 4 times a year. I’d argue there isn’t any content to get bored with. Just say you never liked him.
Bored of him without Gervais and Merchant. That’s pretty fair.

Posh Red

He was literally just a miserable fecker that Ricky and Merchent decided to exaggerate for television.

His ‘outlook and opinions’ we’re just a forced result of him playing that part for TV.
You do realise he worked with Ricky and Steve for several years as a radio producer, long before he ever became a tv personality? I can assure you in the early years it wasn’t a forced act. That only happened years later when they started making him into a celebrity.

hobbers

The best bits of XFM were Karl taking the piss out of Steve tbh. Ricky giggling like a mad chimp throughout.

RUCK4444

You do realise he worked with Ricky and Steve for several years as a radio producer, long before he ever became a tv personality? I can assure you in the early years it wasn’t a forced act. That only happened years later when they started making him into a celebrity.
Yeah that's exactly what I was saying. He was just a miserable fecker who wasn't particularly funny that Gervais and Merchant then forced to overplay and exaggerate that character for TV.

His whole miserable, depressive humour is not who he truly is, it's so forced and it's annoying that people think it's a real character.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't think We should listen to what Karl said seriously. Before you listen to him, ask yourself would you listen to Michael Owen?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

You think Karl Pilkington is a made up character? :lol:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The first 3 series of XFM are some of the funniest stuff I've heard.

The first series of Podcasts are funny too, think 2005, not the cartoons but the actual full podcasts. Like wetting myself funny.

RUCK4444

You think Karl Pilkington is a made up character? :lol:
I think it's funny that you believe his persona is real. I mean, really?

Somebody who is so obtuse and totally unaware of how ridiculous his opinions are doesn't exist. If everybody found what you said funny when you were being serious something would be a miss, would it not?

Do you believe Alan Partridge is real? Do you believe Keith Lemon is real?

The tooth fairy?

FFS ...

Pagh Wraith

Somebody who is so obtuse and totally unaware of how ridiculous his opinions are doesn't exist. If everybody found what you said funny when you were being serious something would be a miss, would it not?

The tooth fairy?

FFS ...
You're a fool. Play a record.

Posh Red

Yeah that's exactly what I was saying. He was just a miserable fecker who wasn't particularly funny that Gervais and Merchant then forced to overplay and exaggerate that character for TV.

His whole miserable, depressive humour is not who he truly is, it's so forced and it's annoying that people think it's a real character.
Personally I thought the original XFM show was brilliant, along with many of the Podcasts. He is actually like that in real life by the way. He just plays on it more nowadays. He was never a professional actor or a comedian playing a character as you seem to think.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

The tooth fairy?

FFS ...
Have you met humans?

lsd

The Oracle

He was doing this on radio years before tv . The things he says are clearly more real than put on

RUCK4444

He was doing this on radio years before tv . The things he says are clearly more real than put on
If that’s what you want to believe fella, Knock yourself out.

he’s making the easiest living somehow from a complete lack of comedy. I get ‘dry’ humour but it’s not, because it’s forced, plain as day.

I love gervais but why people lap this boring fecker up I’ll never know.

RUCK4444

Personally I thought the original XFM show was brilliant, along with many of the Podcasts. He is actually like that in real life by the way. He just plays on it more nowadays. He was never a professional actor or a comedian playing a character as you seem to think.
I know that. I said so in my first sentence.

I don’t mean any offence like, but speaking honestly it’s a bit weird people don’t realise he is playing up the character.

He just stays in character like Keith Lemon, who actually broke character to apologise for past shows the other day.

I find it weird people can’t see this :lol:

Posh Red

Boris Johnson used to do a great Mayor of London impression!
I know that. I said so in my first sentence.

I don’t mean any offence like, but speaking honestly it’s a bit weird people don’t realise he is playing up the character.

He just stays in character like Keith Lemon, who actually broke character to apologise for past shows the other day.

I find it weird people can’t see this :lol:
I think you’re missing the point. Karl was literally working the desk for them and they asked him questions occasionally and he gave an honest answer. He was never meant to be there to provide any material.
As time passed the audience became more interested in what Karl had to say than the actual hosts of the show. If you had been listening to the show from the early days you would understand this.

RUCK4444

Boris Johnson used to do a great Mayor of London impression!

I think you’re missing the point. Karl was literally working the desk for them and they asked him questions occasionally and he gave an honest answer. He was never meant to be there to provide any material.
As time passed the audience became more interested in what Karl had to say than the actual hosts of the show. If you had been listening to the show from the early days you would understand this.
I’ve heard the show, I understand the premise that he wasn’t supposed to be the star and they just found him funny.

From the moment he was on the radio with Gervais do you actually think he didn’t start playing up to the humour that Gervais saw in him? Of course he was being egged on and had to be funny to be in anyway involved.

The way he just sits there now and says things dead pan, one after the other whilst people laugh at everything he says - if he wasn’t playing up to it he would be feckin offended :lol:

It’s bloody obvious man. My mum and missus are the same, they think I don’t get it because they say I’m too much like him apparently:rolleyes:

Posh Red

I’ve heard the show, I understand the premise that he wasn’t supposed to be the star and they just found him funny.

From the moment he was on the radio with Gervais do you actually think he didn’t start playing up to the humour that Gervais saw in him? Of course he was being egged on and had to be funny to be in anyway involved.

The way he just sits there now and says things dead pan, one after the other whilst people laugh at everything he says - if he wasn’t playing up to it he would be feckin offended :lol:

It’s bloody obvious man. My mum and missus are the same, they think I don’t get it because they say I’m too much like him apparently:rolleyes:
I think there’s a huge difference between how he is now and how we was on the radio. I don’t really enjoy anything he does on the television.

I expect that yes, he may have played on it a bit during the radio shows, but the listeners fell in love with him from day one, when he was being himself. That’s when he was most entertaining for me.

RUCK4444

I think there’s a huge difference between how he is now and how we was on the radio. I don’t really enjoy anything he does on the television.

I expect that yes, he may have played on it a bit during the radio shows, but the listeners fell in love with him from day one, when he was being himself. That’s when he was most entertaining for me.
Yeah I liked him at first but his humour can only stretch so far without it becoming a bit silly like it has now.

I still think he has good chemistry with Gervais and Merchant, just think his show is stale.

Posh Red

Yeah I liked him at first but his humour can only stretch so far without it becoming a bit silly like it has now.

I still think he has good chemistry with Gervais and Merchant, just think his show is stale.
I can’t get on with any of the tv stuff for that reason. It’s obviously contrived to deliver his typical ‘Karl’ responses.