Television Karl Pilkington

Brophs

The One and Only
I've been listening to the Podcasts, and now the XFM shows, since the summer. All I can say is that while Pilkington is dim, he's also playing up to it hugely, IMO.

In the early XFM shows, he's much more sensible, and dare I say it, somewhat more intelligent. As they go on, he starts to become a character he plays up to. By the time of the podcasts, he's completely playing for laughs. They edit out the fact he laughs/sniggers(which pisses me off, for some reason), and he has a range of 'gags' that he wheels out.

I've also read that his diary was written by the other two, rather than him actually doing it. Hope that's not true, as some of it is absolutely priceless.

Leg-End

Weird, currently listening to the Bonus hour podcast, Karl talking about socks in a rubber bag. :lol:

I agree he plays on it massively but I don't care, at the end of the day his 'character' is essentially his living.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Weird, currently listening to the Bonus hour podcast, Karl talking about socks in a rubber bag. :lol:

I agree he plays on it massively but I don't care, at the end of the day his 'character' is essentially his living.
Yeah, that's a good point.

Interesting to see it all on video, mind you. It looks like Gervais genuinely find him hilarious, just like the rest of us.

The little, fecking round-headed, baldy ffff....

Leg-End

Yeah, that's a good point.

Interesting to see it all on video, mind you. It looks like Gervais genuinely find him hilarious, just like the rest of us.

The little, fecking round-headed, baldy ffff....
Gervais is obssesive over him I think. Honestly I don't find the podcasts as funny as the XFM shows, back then its the natural Karl and they way Ricky & Steve slowly unravel just how funny/stupid he is, its genuinely hilarious.

Best moment is when they get Karl to do the Roger Moore impression, doesnt come better than that. If you haven't check out the XFM shows, they are all available for free.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Gervais is obssesive over him I think. Honestly I don't find the podcasts as funny as the XFM shows, back then its the natural Karl and they way Ricky & Steve slowly unravel just how funny/stupid he is, its genuinely hilarious.

Best moment is when they get Karl to do the Roger Moore impression, doesnt come better than that. If you haven't check out the XFM shows, they are all available for free.
Assuming it;s all legal and above board, where would I find these shows?

Leg-End

XFM Downloads

Totally legal, hosted on a few mirrors, rapidshare etc. The XFM back catalogue has never been released so people have recorded the shows and cut the music out. Most shows are about 1 hour in length.

Big Andy

Bloke
Been listening to these on and off for the best part of 15 years now. Never get old. They're like an old friend, I listen to them in the car via Spotify.

I find it fascinating that they could be so openly homophobic, sweary and racist on national radio 20 years ago.

Chairman Steve

I miss the XFM days when it did feel more free flowing and improvised between Ricky, Steve and Karl. The official podcasts give that scripted feel when you listen back to them.

As for Karl, I think he affects and exaggerates the dimness at times. He’s definitely more self-aware than he’d have you believe.

And I miss the days when Ricky was funny and not a douche who takes himself way too seriously now. 2003 Ricky would have ripped 2023 Ricky apart on XFM, mocking all those photoshoots he loves to do.

binary bot
Still listen far too much. Monkey news and rockbusters gets the most playtime

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I miss the XFM days when it did feel more free flowing and improvised between Ricky, Steve and Karl. The official podcasts give that scripted feel when you listen back to them.

As for Karl, I think he affects and exaggerates the dimness at times. He’s definitely more self-aware than he’d have you believe.

And I miss the days when Ricky was funny and not a douche who takes himself way too seriously now. 2003 Ricky would have ripped 2023 Ricky apart on XFM, mocking all those photoshoots he loves to do.
Agree with all of this.

I probably listen to an episode once a month, they're a lot of fun.

Leg-End

Almost comforting to see I posted in this thread in 2008 and I still listen to the XFM stuff now and then.

Karl now fully on the voiceover work for adverts, money for old rope innit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Karl now fully on the voiceover work for adverts, money for old rope innit.
At least someone passed the voicemail message on instead of deleting it.

Need to do another listen of these, used to have them on non-stop but it’s been a couple years.

Nickosaur

I still go to sleep to these fecking recordings.

Rodney ya BILLSSHHH

Nickosaur

:lol:
"Percy Sugden license to kill!"

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Funny, we just started watching An idiot abroad few days ago. I am enjoying it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I agree, and they occasionally re-use some of the XFM stuff in the podcasts, which really does make it feel scripted, because I guess it is, or at least re-enacted.

Though saying that, I did quite like the HBO animated show of the podcasts, they chop and edit them to bits, but it works, and some of the visuals are great.

The XFM shows are still a great listen. I recently binged through the old XFM shows whilst working from home, and I don't think I realised first time around just how easily offended Steve is. He and Ricky pile on Karl for the entire episode, but if Karl ever gives a bit back to Steve, he loses it. He's got some seriously thin skin.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Agreed. The XFM shows also had more of a dangerous vibe, since Karl was meant to be ‘in charge’, and tasked with controlling two loose cannons who could at any moment say something that would get them all fired. It made for better comedy when they were within those parameters.

The podcasts removed all that, and while still funny, it lost something. It worked best when Karl was pulling his hair out.

Suv666

Saw the thread bump and assumed the worst what a relief

l listen to it most nights to fall asleep. Don’t know what it is about those podcasts and radios show but its very calming and fecking hilarious to me.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I've been listening to the XFM shows and podcasts daily for too long now. I'm on my 3rd or 4th play through and can already 'hear' what's coming next.

He clearly plays up to it in the podcasts, and Ricky is even more annoying then, but they're still worth a listen. Season 1 and 2 of the XFM shows are the best though, so many hilarious parts. It's wild that this was on radio.

Andy_Cole

Thought something happened to him with this thread bumped!

I'm glad you're all a fan. Assumed he would've been someone Redcafe would be sick of and hated on by now.

Suppose there was a time he was everywhere but no he barely does new stuff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thought something happened to him with this thread bumped!

I'm glad you're all a fan. Assumed he would've been someone Redcafe would be sick of and hated on by now.

Suppose there was a time he was everywhere but no he barely does new stuff.
He did a load of travel shows on Sky, which weren't great. It felt uncomfortable watching him do his grumpy bastard shtick with nice people who genuinely wanted him to have a good time.

gregwar

Karl Pilkington is the best thing Ricky Gervais brought on the world.

Andy_Cole

He did a load of travel shows on Sky, which weren't great. It felt uncomfortable watching him do his grumpy bastard shtick with nice people who genuinely wanted him to have a good time.
Yeh his show with Warwick Davies was a bit uncomfortable.

Generally though I've quite liked him. I guess he was great as that funny grumpy Manc lad but when they over played it maybe it was a bit too much.

I remember an episode when he didn't give a shit about most of the stuff in the episode. He then had a helicopter ride at the end and absolutely loved it. Thought that was funny.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Thought I smelled something old, turns out it's this thread. It's ancient.