Keane fears for United's reputation

Drifter

American
Roy Keane has admitted Manchester United are in danger of losing the fear factor.

A massive injury list, plus the on-going suspension of Rio Ferdinand are legitimate reasons for their current problems but, with Arsenal and Chelsea both riding high at the top boasting 100% records, anything other than victory at third-placed Bolton on Saturday would see United's chances being virtually written off. In seasons gone by, Sir Alex Ferguson and his side have responded to challenges like that with relish. But as Keane points out, times have begun to change.

"Look at Arsenal, and maybe Chelsea to a certain degree - they seem to have that mentality where they don't look as though they are going to be beaten," Keane told the official Manchester United magazine. "Teams playing us think they have got a chance now. I saw some of our fans talking on TV before the Norwich game and they were so apprehensive. Not long ago they would be saying 'We are playing Norwich, bring it on'. Things have changed a little bit, but that's fine - it's a great challenge for the players."

After missing United's disappointing draws against Blackburn and Everton with a rib problem, Keane should return at the Reebok Stadium after coming through his Republic of Ireland World Cup comeback against Switzerland last night with no apparent reaction.

The news will no doubt be greeted with blessed relief by Ferguson, who thought he was emerging from early-season injury hell, only to be pitched straight back into it again.

Neither the English nor French camps were willing to speculate on the seriousness of the knocks which forced Gary Neville and Louis Saha out of the first half of respective victories over Poland and the Faroe Islands but it would be a major surprise if either was fit for this weekend.

Still thinking of a name

I think as much as anything, Keane himself has lost that fear factor opponents would have had before a match against the mighty Manchester United. Sure, they respect him as a player who has won more than they likely ever will, but do they fear playing against him in the middle like they used to?

wancolos

Diarrhetic homosexual- likes to beat Noggies with
Is it time for an new haaland tackle? :D

Kinky Melinky

wanCoLoS said:
Is it time for an new haaland tackle? :D
Holy Crap that very thought was going through my mind as I read the opening post :nervous:

Pack of feckin Phychos in here ;)

SOCALRED

Time for Keane to get his finger out and lead by example, and stop crying to the press every five minuites, talk about shrinking violets an' all . For 100k a week I expect better from our captain. :mad:

mufcmark16

thewelshconjurer said:
You lot are mental :nono: how can you wish bad another human being :confused:
Well on an Arsenal player i guess its okay ;)

Aslong as it's not Murder, We dont want our players going down for that off course :nono:

Mush

Without wanting to be pessimistic we may well have come to the end of our domineering era which was inevitable as nothing lasts forever. Look at Liverpool now. A number of factors to look at. The cracks were there to see. Look at previous seasons when United were at their peak and lost a game. Fergie's fury and hairdryer treatment would ensure the team went on a winning run or good set of results. Those days seem to have gone for the best part and the time between United losses is not as great as it used to be. It suggested he did not get the same reaction from the players as he used to. Who's fault this is I'm not sure but it is not the same. The fear factor has gone as we are not the same team as we were in the 90's. In fact Arsenal parallell the United of the 90's more than we do. Pinball one touch football, end to end counter attacking football and midas touch signings.
Complacency may have been the problem. to stay ahead of the competition you need to strengthen the areas that require it. Think back to the year so many players left Irwin etc and were not adequately replaced. The amount of time we went without a fourth striker. In the meantim the competition took Fergie's blue print and made ther squads better and we rested on our laurels. The year Fergie' brought Kleberson, Djemba and Ronaldo came two years too late in terms of strengthening the squad.
Sometimes people can do no wrong and most things work out. Everyone has a hot streak. Ours is over, I think Wengers may be beginning. Not to say we won't win things but I cannot see us dominating in Fergie's final years.

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
Mush said:
Without wanting to be pessimistic we may well have come to the end of our domineering era which was inevitable as nothing lasts forever. Look at Liverpool now. A number of factors to look at. The cracks were there to see. Look at previous seasons when United were at their peak and lost a game. Fergie's fury and hairdryer treatment would ensure the team went on a winning run or good set of results. Those days seem to have gone for the best part and the time between United losses is not as great as it used to be. It suggested he did not get the same reaction from the players as he used to. Who's fault this is I'm not sure but it is not the same. The fear factor has gone as we are not the same team as we were in the 90's. In fact Arsenal parallell the United of the 90's more than we do. Pinball one touch football, end to end counter attacking football and midas touch signings.
Complacency may have been the problem. to stay ahead of the competition you need to strengthen the areas that require it. Think back to the year so many players left Irwin etc and were not adequately replaced. The amount of time we went without a fourth striker. In the meantim the competition took Fergie's blue print and made ther squads better and we rested on our laurels. The year Fergie' brought Kleberson, Djemba and Ronaldo came two years too late in terms of strengthening the squad.
Sometimes people can do no wrong and most things work out. Everyone has a hot streak. Ours is over, I think Wengers may be beginning. Not to say we won't win things but I cannot see us dominating in Fergie's final years.
Good objective post

Number7

Ret's Slave
We haven't dominated since we won the title in 2000/2001. Neither have arsenal, it's been fairly mixed.

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
MOre Keano comments

"There are a lot of people, at this club and others, who like to wrap the young lads in cotton wool," Keane told the official Manchester United magazine.

"That's all well and good but they need to be taught properly. I sometimes worry that I go over the top but they need to be told because it is such a short career.

"With some young players I have seen over the years, it seems to go in one ear and out the other, so you need to grab hold of them and say 'Look, you need to listen'.

"That's what players used to do with me - tough love, or whatever you want to call it."

"Against AC Milan on our pre-season tour, we gave the ball away in the last minute and they scored an equaliser," said Keane.

"I know it was pre-season but I came back into the dressing room and there were players relaxed.

"That really annoyed me. You have to drill it home to these lads that it's about winning - that is what we are in the game for.

"With all the injuries we had, this year's pre-season wasn't ideal but since then we have still been able to put teams out with 10 internationals, so there are no excuses."

:keano: :keano: :keano:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
very Ruud said:
"I know it was pre-season but I came back into the dressing room and there were players relaxed.
thats a bit worrying..i wonder which players these were.. obviously younsters.