Keane's Rant

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
And then he goes and buys him.
didn´t he say something about Liam Miller, who he also bought?

and I´m pretty sure I read he also said something about Van der sar, saying he should have done better with 1 or 2 of the goals in the Boro game.
Jog on you mugs, keano simply aired what we all thought at the time....as per usual. The only problem this time was that keano had passed the peak of his powers so was disposable.

Make no mistake had he said the same at his peak it would have died very quickly.

One of the most plausible sounding articles that I read was the one that came out in The Guardian It was a general attack.

Darren Fletcher, Alan Smith, John O'Shea and Liam Miller are supposed to have appeared in the "will never be good enough" section. Richardson and a couple of others were in the "not coming on as well as they should" bit and Rio and other "senior players" were accused of not setting the right example to the team and in particular of not leading the young and talented (that'd be Roo and Ron) in the right way.

Personally I thought it was a bit rich coming from someone who was part of the problem with the team - and was neither disappointed nor surprised when he was shipped out. But I know a lot of fans loved hearing the mud being slung at the team and Quieroz.

Of course, after a couple of months with Celtic - Keane claims he'd learned a lot and was now able to sympathise with people like Veron (talented players who couldn't fit in). Then as manager he started hiring the United transfer list - presumably because a 75% United player is better than none. He now admits that his training methods haven't actually given him the super-fit, fully commited team he expected. Not easy actually being in charge.
I do wish you'd shut your noise. The bloke is at sunderland...not utd. Its hardly surprising our cast offs are going to be good enough for his side.

Keano is what 37?? He's much to learn and im sure given time he'll mellow further ala fergie. Not that easy no, not unless your 1st job is a chelsea. Whats your point then.....

p.s. The general attack seems pretty spot on to me if thats what he said (which no one knows!). It was shown to the squad and there were no problems, smith said as much after his man of the match performance against chelsea.

Merman

Jog on you mugs, keano simply aired what we all thought at the time....as per usual. The only problem this time was that keano had passed the peak of his powers so was disposable.

Make no mistake had he said the same at his peak it would have died very quickly.

I do wish you'd shut your noise. The bloke is at sunderland...not utd. Its hardly surprising our cast offs are going to be good enough for his side.

Keano is what 37?? He's much to learn and im sure given time he'll mellow further ala fergie. Not that easy no, not unless your 1st job is a chelsea. Whats your point then.....

p.s. The general attack seems pretty spot on to me if thats what he said (which no one knows!). It was shown to the squad and there were no problems, smith said as much after his man of the match performance against chelsea.
Agree with that part.

GusHiddink

I fail to understand the number of people looking to jump on keane's back. He's at sunderland not real madrid. Only have to look at the number of players that have turned them down despite keano being the manager to know what a struggle he's taken on.

That is all. Long live king keane.

Ringo 07

I absolutely symathise with Keane over the rant he made. At the time Fergie was putting far too much trust in players like Richardson, O'Shea, Roy Carroll Fletcher and Silvestre even though we had a nucleus of a team that had enough to win the Champions league and various transfer windows seemed to pass where Fergie chose not to strenghten even though he apparently had a few quid to spend. For a couple of seasons it was the same players that were costing us big in massive Europeans nights and against the top teams in England and we were falling behind. I think it took Keanes sacking for Fergie to realise that he had to spend big and I'd say Keano can only look on in envy and imagine what he could have achieved had he had likes of the current team around him to have a go at the champions league instead of having Silvestre at centre back, Flecther, O'Shea beside him on the pitch taking on Real Madrid in a CL Quater Final. Although thank F Flecther is a different payer altogether now as to when he was in the first team with Keane.

Sir A1ex

I fail to understand the number of people looking to jump on keane's back.
We must come up with a name for this common caf syndrome of railing against a perceived majority (or large minority) of teh rest of the caf that doesn't actually exist.
One guy suggests that in his opinion Keane may have fuond some aspects of being a coach trickier than he expected and suddenly everybody's jumping on Keane's back? I reckon 99% of people on here think he's done a great job at Sunderland and are impressed with his progress as a coach so far.

GusHiddink

We must come up with a name for this common caf syndrome of railing against a perceived majority (or large minority) of teh rest of the caf that doesn't actually exist.
One guy suggests that in his opinion Keane may have fuond some aspects of being a coach trickier than he expected and suddenly everybody's jumping on Keane's back? I reckon 99% of people on here think he's done a great job at Sunderland and are impressed with his progress as a coach so far.
coulda fooled me mate.

Invariably all i see are daft threads..sunderland going down, sunderland buying cast offs, keane only buying irish or utd etc etc etc. Very little positive. I call it as i see it.

Sir A1ex

sunderland going down
Still fairly possible, but they're making a good fight of it and I don't think Kean is largely blamed by most people. Keeping a newly promoted team up is tricky, especially one taht was as bad as Sunderland were last time they were int he Premiership.

sunderland buying cast offs, keane only buying irish or utd etc etc etc.
Well he has, but again I don't see it as a criticism. As somebody said, a 75% United player is better than most others you could lure to Sunderland. The Irish bit may be a bit trickier to justify, but heh!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Says who? You? And just what authority do you have have to be so certain?

Just total total bollox.

GusHiddink

Make no mistake had he said the same at his peak it would have died very quickly.[/QUOTE]

Says who? You? And just what authority do you have have to be so certain?

Just total total bollox.
The fact you're attempting to debate with me on this tells me you are utterly clueless.

GusHiddink

Of course I must be.

Oh how I must bow to your superior fecking insight.

Fool.
Learn to quote properly lad.

Does anyone seriously doubt keane wouldnt have got away with whatever he said had he been at the peak of his powers?? speak up ya'll. If not ill comfort myself in the confirmation that there is only one looney around at the moment.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Was he no good in league matches like Everton, Newcastle and Spurs tha won him Player of the Month for September '01 then?
He did have a good start to his United career which made us all waiting for more, and it never came.

So I guess you're right, he played some good matches in the league as well, but all in all he must be the biggest flop ever in United.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
The fact you're attempting to debate with me on this tells me you are utterly clueless.
I agree with that, it's the same as Fergie squashing all the bad blood between Rooney and Ronaldo after the world cup. Because they are instrumental to the future, and future success of United.

When Keane was at his best, anything he said would have been sorted out and he wouldn't have been forced out the club.

GusHiddink

I agree with that, it's the same as Fergie squashing all the bad blood between Rooney and Ronaldo after the world cup. Because they are instrumental to the future, and future success of United.

When Keane was at his best, anything he said would have been sorted out and he wouldn't have been forced out the club.
Its obvious. Im glad others see it.

Cantona got away with assaulting a fan for godsake!!!

Do we believe that had cantona not done that (i.e. no precedent) and say richardson had done that in one of his few games in the side last season the guy wouldnt have been released quicker than drogba goes down??

You're only as valuable as your playing ability.

mr.suave

Keane's presence in the team was a bit intimidating to the younger players I thought.

Obviously I have a huge amount of respect for the guy, and he was a truly class player and captain for us but I think he moved on at the right time.

Bollocking players isn't always particularly constructive and just because he and other players might have responded positively to it, it doesn't mean that that's the only way to motivate players.

In the 02/03 season I remember Keane being injured around Christmas time, with Veron hitting a bit of form at the same time. The second Keane came back into the team, Veron's confidence disappeared, which blatantly wasn't a coincidence. I remember him having a go at Fletcher after a Scholes goal a few seasons ago, and it looked as if he was gonna burst into tears - hardly a great confidence boost. I also recall him pushing Phil Neville about on the pitch (extremely unprofessional IMO) for almost getting a second yellow against Sunderland a few years ago, only to receive a straight red himself minutes later for elbowing McAteer. And again, this rant on MUTV was hardly constructive.

I'm not having a go at the guy here - I've already stated my admiration for him - it's just that football isn't the same "man's" game as it was when Keano broke through (getting decked by Clough, etc) and that players like Carrick, or the likes of Nani and Anderson might need an arm round their shoulder to get the best out of them, not some angry Irishman in their face, berating them for making a wrong pass or something.

Basically, as much of a loss as Keane was to United, I genuinely believe the team has benefitted in some sense without his suffocating presence.

GusHiddink

Id agree to some degree... but i think that came out of the fustration of being in utd sides that werent living up to the past sides and he could see that. Anyhow read this earlier in the day which touches on what you say:

Keane's managerial success no surprise to Carroll

Derby goalkeeper Roy Carroll has revealed he always believed former Manchester United team-mate Roy Keane had all the credentials to make it as a manager.

The pair spent four years together at Old Trafford between 2001 and 2005 and shared success when United won the Premier League in 2003 and lifted the FA Cup a year later.

Carroll arrived at Pride Park in January following spells with West Ham and Rangers, while Keane has since gone on to manage Sunderland after ending his playing career at Celtic.

The former Republic of Ireland international turned the Black Cats' fortunes upside down in his first season in charge, guiding them from the Coca-Cola Championship relegation zone to champions.

His success has come as no surprise to Carroll, who will come face to face with him tomorrow when Sunderland visit Pride Park.

He said: "He was a top captain when I was at Manchester United, I spoke to him a lot about football.

"It's great to see him doing so well in his first manager's job. He speaks well about football and knows a lot about the game."

Keane earned a reputation as one of the most daunting players of his generation for his hard-line approach on and off the field.

Carroll admitted he was fortunate enough to never receive a telling off from his then skipper and believes his approach has softened somewhat since becoming a manager because he has a youthful side.

"That's the way Roy is, he gave 100% on the pitch and on the training ground, but I never saw the 'hairdryer' treatment!" he joked.

"I know what he was like as a player. I suppose he has to act like that because Sunderland have a very young side, you can't keep shouting at young players all the time so that's the type of manager he probably is."

Keane may have found it more difficult to repeat last year's success this time around - they currently lie 15th - but the Wearsiders have certainly fared better in the Premier League than their previous stay in the top flight.

mr.suave

Id agree to some degree... but i think that came out of the fustration of being in utd sides that werent living up to the past sides and he could see that.
Yeah true, but football is cyclical and we were a side going through a stage of transition, which I'm surprised he couldn't really get his head round.

Chelsea are looking at the prospect of two years without the title and Arsenal looked way off the pace last season and the season before.

I actually think Arsenal have seen a similar effect with the exit of Henry, who I believe had the same sort of stifling influence on their team. I'm not entirely sure that the emergence of the likes of Hleb and Flamini from their shells, and Henry joining Barca is much a coincidence.

GusHiddink

Still think arsenal have a long long way to go...and chelsea are a frightful danger.....

but the henry point is a good one. similar. Im sure keane and henry knew the logic but its one thing understanding it and another playing in those sides after the unbeaten lot for arsenal and the 94/99 sides for utd.