Keane's Rant

River_Runs_Red

Does any one remember who it was that he actually named when he did that Interview for MUTV that was taken off air. I am not sure I ever found out.

Panadol

Smith?
I remember the game against Chelsea shortly after. The commentator was saying something about Smith proving Keano wrong after his comments about him on MUTV.
To be fair, I don't think it was only one person. I think he also, supposedly, had a go at O'Shea, Fletch and Rio.

Disclaimer: Don't quote me!

Alex

Smith, Fletcher, O'Shea and Rio were all involved, also let us not forget long time fan favorite Kieran Richardson lol

Alex

Smith?
I remember the game against Chelsea shortly after. The commentator was saying something about Smith proving Keano wrong after his comments about him on MUTV.
To be fair, I don't think it was only one person. I think he also, supposedly, had a go at O'Shea, Fletch and Rio.

Disclaimer: Don't quote me!
I believe he said it about Fletcher when he scored

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
didn´t he say something about Liam Miller, who he also bought?

and I´m pretty sure I read he also said something about Van der sar, saying he should have done better with 1 or 2 of the goals in the Boro game.

December_16

Ronaldo scored a very impressive milestone in that game too, 1000th league goal under SAF or something. Disgusting game to celebrate that mark

Alex

:p Going back to hibernate mode. See you all again next year
Haha, he insults your lack of posts and I laud your longevity, and you quote his post, you bastard you;)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
One of the most plausible sounding articles that I read was the one that came out in The Guardian It was a general attack.

Darren Fletcher, Alan Smith, John O'Shea and Liam Miller are supposed to have appeared in the "will never be good enough" section. Richardson and a couple of others were in the "not coming on as well as they should" bit and Rio and other "senior players" were accused of not setting the right example to the team and in particular of not leading the young and talented (that'd be Roo and Ron) in the right way.

Personally I thought it was a bit rich coming from someone who was part of the problem with the team - and was neither disappointed nor surprised when he was shipped out. But I know a lot of fans loved hearing the mud being slung at the team and Quieroz.

Of course, after a couple of months with Celtic - Keane claims he'd learned a lot and was now able to sympathise with people like Veron (talented players who couldn't fit in). Then as manager he started hiring the United transfer list - presumably because a 75% United player is better than none. He now admits that his training methods haven't actually given him the super-fit, fully commited team he expected. Not easy actually being in charge.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
He also said that when he was playing some big Champions League game he looked around and say a first team regular and captain of his country who was shaking with nerves.

Everyone knows that it was Gary Neville.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One of the most plausible sounding articles that I read was the one that came out in The Guardian It was a general attack.
Thanks for posting the Guardian article. Re reading it reminded me of all the conflicting emotions I went through, like every other United fan at the time.

In the end, Im so proud of how United handled the situation. It was made clear that Keane was a legend, a revered man whose contributions to United could never be replicated and that he will always he at the heart of the club. Even so, even he was not immune to some core club values, especially the sanctitude of the team ethos and he had to go, whatever the consequences.

I disagree with United fans who claim this was because he was in the autumn of his career. Bollocks, They do not understand the United way ... it is just too convenient. It was a time for big, really big decisions, and United called it right.

Compare that with the way Arsenal continue to humour their captain Gallas despite his numerous discretions of recent weeks. I can only wonder what signals have been sent throughout that club and what its members must be thinking.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Thanks for posting the Guardian article. Re reading it reminded me of all the conflicting emotions I went through, like every other United fan at the time.

In the end, Im so proud of how United handled the situation. It was made clear that Keane was a legend, a revered man whose contributions to United could never be replicated and that he will always he at the heart of the club. Even so, even he was not immune to some core club values, especially the sanctitude of the team ethos and he had to go, whatever the consequences.

I disagree with United fans who claim this was because he was in the autumn of his career. Bollocks, They do not understand the United way ... it is just too convenient. It was a time for big, really big decisions, and United called it right.

Compare that with the way Arsenal continue to humour their captain Gallas despite his numerous discretions of recent weeks. I can only wonder what signals have been sent throughout that club and what its members must be thinking.

totally or $tevie me or henry asking the club to match 'their' ambitions ... can you imagine one of our players saying anything like that?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He also said that when he was playing some big Champions League game he looked around and say a first team regular and captain of his country who was shaking with nerves.

Everyone knows that it was Gary Neville.
That was the away game vs Leverkusen, the most painful game in history.

How do you know it's Neville? He wasn't England captain back then? Maybe for a game or two he was...

I think I've heard it was Giggs.

:confused:

klebersomeone

That was the away game vs Leverkusen, the most painful game in history.

How do you know it's Neville? He wasn't England captain back then? Maybe for a game or two he was...

I think I've heard it was Giggs.

:confused:

From memory he never said the player in question was a international team captain. Anyway, it was neither Neville or Giggs - it was Veron he was talking about!

klebersomeone

Wasn't it just before United beat Chelsea? to end their unbeaten run?

If thats the case then even though Roy was out of line, he got the desired effect. A response from the players he slated or supposedly slated.
One thing that cannot be denied is that Fergie got his second wind after the whole affair. He'd slept walked his way through a few seasons but he hasn't looked back since..
If the Keane incident hadn't happened I think Fergie would have been retired by now.

Floyd

Gary Neville didn't even play that nite, the team was;

Barthez
Brown
Blanc
Johnsen
Silvestre
Scholes
Butt
Keane
Giggs
Veron
RVN

And it was Veron...
You make a strong case for it not being Neville, I'll give you that. :)

But how do you know it's Veron?

klebersomeone

You make a strong case for it not being Neville, I'll give you that. :)

But how do you know it's Veron?
"An established (or maybe experienced) international player" was the phrase used I think..

Obviously I have no hard evidence. However.. He never liked Veron as a player at United and has openly admitted as much. With the exception of Blanc (who might have been shaking because he was so old and slow), Veron was the only one he hadn't been in the trenches with, someone he knew would pull out all the stops when the going got tough. He (Veron) hadn't lived up to the expectation and never really delivered particularly in the big European games where he was meant to be making a difference.

I couldn't see the player Keane talked abou being Giggs, not in a million years..

Floyd

"An established (or maybe experienced) international player" was the phrase used I think..

Obviously I have no hard evidence. However.. He never liked Veron as a player at United and has openly admitted as much. With the exception of Blanc (who might have been shaking because he was so old and slow), Veron was the only one he hadn't been in the trenches with, someone he knew would pull out all the stops when the going got tough. He (Veron) hadn't lived up to the expectation and never really delivered particularly in the big European games where he was meant to be making a difference.

I couldn't see the player Keane talked abou being Giggs, not in a million years..
Veron's only decent games for us was in the CL, but that's not saying much.