Kevin De Bruyne

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How does KdB compare to the number tens of late 90s/2000s like Del Piero, Totti, Rivaldo?
Not a good comparison honestly, the only one of those 3 with a remotely similar skillset is Totti, and he'd be a false 9 for Guardiola

That said...De Bruyne is right up there imo.

PS put circa 2000 Totti on this City side and there would be genuine arguments about him being better than Messi/Cristiano. I've yet to see another player with Totti's vision. Maybe only peak Ozil came close...

cyberman

I cant see how he can win any individual award this season. When he is in form he is unreal but he's just had a few too many games like last night where he just can't make the difference.

mav_9me

Why is David Silva getting so much play time and why would you play Foden on the wing instead of using him in CM for creativity with either Mahrez or B. Silva on the right wing?

Bigger issues than KDB.

RooneyLegend

How does KdB compare to the number tens of late 90s/2000s like Del Piero, Totti, Rivaldo?
Del Piero and Rivaldo were different types of 10's to him. Totti could pretty much play anywhere. Totti compared to De Bruyne was a better passer, shooter but less mobile. He was also technically better than De Bruyne and was stronger on the ball. He wasn't the type to run around everywhere. Totti couldn't drive up the pitch like De Bruyne, he'd pretty much position himself to receive and do damage with his passing. In terms of class, all of them are pretty much in the same class if we're talking pre injury be DePiero.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Should rather be compared to Beckham from that era. And he comes quite close. But Beckham was better.

I know that his pop-star image overshadow how good Beckham actually was, but I think he was our best and most influential player in ‘99. We won everything. Even against Juve, where Keane got all the attention due to the goal, his card etc, Beckham was probably our best player (see it again if you dont believe me). And he was only 24 at the time. If my memory serves ne right, he was also third in Ballon d’Or at some point.

Beckham was very similar to KdB and the biggest difference in my opinion was that Beckham was a lot better off the ball. More energy and staminia. Better defender. More aggressive.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not a good comparison honestly, the only one of those 3 with a remotely similar skillset is Totti, and he'd be a false 9 for Guardiola

PS put circa 2000 Totti on this City side and there would be genuine arguments about him being better than Messi/Cristiano. I've yet to see another player with Totti's vision. Maybe only peak Ozil came close...
Come on now.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Although he shares Rivaldo’s ability to peel wide and bend in a telling cross, Del Piero’s work rate and set-piece delivery as well as Totti’s final ball, he’s quite a different player. On the #10 spectrum De Bruyne comes from the #8 end, whereas the other three are on the other side as #9.5s. He’s more of a Beckham/Fabregas hybrid in my eyes.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Ozil for Madrid was incredible. Another one that comes to mind would be Laudrup.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He was, Totti's weight of pass is the stuff of legend.
He was a creative passer especially from tight situations. Very good at short one-touch passes and lobs.

De Bruyne has the best weight of pass I’ve ever seen, better vision and superior range. He is among the best in history.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He was a creative passer especially from tight situations. Very good at short one-touch passes and lobs.

De Bruyne has the best weight of pass I’ve ever seen, better vision and superior range. He is among the best in history.
I agree. He’s a pleasure to watch.

Okey

You should check out Michael Laudrup.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Ozil for Madrid was incredible. Another one that comes to mind would be Laudrup.
Ozil for Arsenal was also incredible in the Sanchez days. The 19 assists season was world class. He suffered from playing in an inferior team.

RooneyLegend

I understand why you'd think so because Totti used to play high up the pitch a lot of the time in his career however that wasn't the case all the time when he played for Italy. When played as a proper playmaker his passing was exemplary.

Really? KDB overhits a fair number of passes and no he doesn't have better vision. He rarely makes a pass you can't 'see'.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Than Totti????? No. No no no no no.....

He has a better cross and a better weight of pass on short and low passes. Totti's weight of pass and range on long passes and lofted passes over the top of the defence taunted the laws of physics

And as for vision, again, i've never seen a player coming close to him in that regard. You had to man mark Totti 70 meters from goal because the alternative was he'd put a man through on goal. Back to the goal, blind, from 70 meters out...

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Than Totti????? No. No no no no no.....

He has a better cross and a better weight of pass on short and low passes. Totti's weight of pass and range on long passes and lofted passes over the top of the defence taunted the laws of physics

And as for vision, again, i've never seen a player coming close to him in that regard. You had to man mark Totti 70 meters from goal because the alternative was he'd put a man through on goal. Back to the goal, blind, from 70 meters out...
That’s the thing - all my memories of Totti are him being pressed all the time in the opposition half and somehow managing to lay it off or put someone through. I suppose that’s great vision as well but not quite what I had in mind.
He spent a lot of time with back to goal. Not the best conditions for a passing masterclass.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That’s the thing - all my memories of Totti are him being pressed all the time in the opposition half and somehow managing to lay it off or put someone through. I suppose that’s great vision as well but not quite what I had in mind.
He spent a lot of time with back to goal. Not the best conditions for a passing masterclass.
That's the thing. Opponents routinely had to gameplan specifically to avoid giving him even an inch of space because he would kill them otherwise

And every time the marking wasn't tight enough and he could turn or even half turn, it was good fecking night, turn off the lights

Hells, sometimes he didn't even need to turn :lol:

Aboutreika18

That's the thing. Opponents routinely had to gameplan specifically to avoid giving him even an inch of space because he would kill them otherwise

And every time the marking wasn't tight enough and he could turn or even half turn, it was good fecking night, turn off the lights

Hells, sometimes he didn't even need to turn :lol:
There was a compilation on YouTube of Totti's one touch passes, usually on the turn or with his back to goal and how many of them lead to goal scoring chances.

Sadly, it's been removed now but it showed just what a ludicrously good passer he was, even while being tightly marked or without a full view of the pitch, within a couple of touches.

Wreh

Supports
Arsenal
De Bruyne is nowhere near Rivaldo. Rivaldo was the closest thing to Ronaldo in the 90s, he's perfomance in the Copa America 1999 and world cup 2002 is all time great!

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
De Bruyne now has 11 goals and 19 assists in the Premier League this season. It's going to be the biggest robbery of all time when Jordan Henderson wins Player of the Year.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Two brilliant goals today and an assist to equal Henry's record, bringing his totals for the season to 13 & 20.

Sure bet for PFA player of the season now

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Saw this online,

FPL say this about deflected assists.

Assists can also be given when touches or attempted tackles from opponents deflect the ball in off the goalscorer.
Again, the scorer of the goal has to be the clear intended target for the pass and the assessment of whether the ball would have reached the scorer without the defensive touch must be made.
Opta say this -

If the final touch (as defined in bold) is deflected by an opposition player, the initiator is only given a goal assist if the receiving player was likely to receive the ball without the deflection having taken place.
Looking back at Sterling goal against Aresnal after the restart and the goal for Mehrez today those should've counted as assist and he should be at 22 they did it for Messi so hopefully something happens here.

Pep's Suit

Anyway... If you don't think De Bruyne is the POTY this season then football's not for you. Period.

James Peril

De Bruyne is nowhere near Rivaldo. Rivaldo was the closest thing to Ronaldo in the 90s, he's perfomance in the Copa America 1999 and world cup 2002 is all time great!
Silly. Nowhere near? That’s what you say if you compare Lindelöf to Baresi. Put KdB on the pitch with prime Rivaldo in the other team and they would equally boss games. I would say de Bruyne is one of the best ever players in terms of vision, decisions, execution of passes, opening up defensive units and so on. He must be a dream to play with if you’re a forward. Rivaldo? Much more direct and full of power, not the same game intelligence if we’re getting picky. Oh and he also dived like a little snake. Nowhere near :D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s some player isn’t he? Those 2 goals today :lol:

When he’s in that sort of mood he’s unplayable

Last edited:

Wayne's World

When do they announce the PFA Player of the Year?

It would be a disgrace If he doesn't win it and If a Liverpool player does win it then it should be Mane for what he has contributed.

Walters_19_MuFc

Incredible player but he's so fecking boring. Shows no emotion whatsoever. Yes, this has nothing to do with football, but as a football fan, I like to see players celebrating when they score. Even his interviews are shite.