Keys & Gray in Sexism Row

phelans shorts

Sian Massey, the female assistant referee who impressed many on her sophomoric Premier League appearance Saturday, has been the victim of several alleged sexist comments made by Sky Sports presenters*Richard Keys and Andy Gray according to Mail On Sunday newspaper.

During Saturday’s match at Wolverhampton Wanderers’s Molineux ground, Massey correctly ruled that Liverpool’s Fernando Torres was onside for the opening goal against Wolves. The correct decision was reinforced by the TV replays.

Meanwhile, the newspaper is reporting that the two presenters believed their microphone were off during the Wolves against Liverpool match, when they were actually on. And here’s what Keys and Gray are reported to have said about Massey:

“Somebody better get down there and explain offside to her,” said Keys.

“Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule,” said Gray.

Keys replied “Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there will be a big one today. Kenny (Dalglish) will go potty. This isn’t the first time, is it? Didn’t we have one before?” And then he added*”The game’s gone mad. Did you hear charming [West Ham vice-chairwoman] Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Do me a favour, love.”

When The Mail On Sunday reporter confronted Keys with the transcript, he is reported to have replied “I have no recollection of that. I have no idea what you are talking about.*My recollection is that I wished the young lady all the best.” According to the newspaper, the reporter then replied that he had a recording of the conversation to which Keys replied “If you have a tape then you don’t need me to talk to you.” Gray, meanwhile, could not be reached for comment by the paper.

If the comments by Gray and Keys are true, those are deplorable things to say and they as well as Sky Sports should issue an apology immediately. Massey obviously knows the offside decision otherwise she would not be officiating at this high level. The alleged comments by Gray and Keys wreak of sexism and an apology should be given to Brady as well.
Andy Gray and Richard Keys Aim Sexist Remarks Against Sian Massey, Say Report | EPL Talk

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Disgraceful isn’t it.?There is no place for this kindve thing in football

They have plenty of other sports like volleyball and tennis FFS:mad:

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Disgraceful.

B Cantona

Desperate
:lol: Oh dear!

I don't think either will get the chop. They will have to make a grovelling apology they don't really mean though

Quite a popular view they're espousing. Yet the lino in question was spot on yesterday, and made a very good call on the Torres goal. Why wouldn't a woman be good at that particular role?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Nothing will happen to either. Most will find it funny and as for the Karen Brady stuff not many people like her anyways

CantonasWife

Queen B
This is disgraceful.. Particularly disappointed as I quite enjoy Keys and Gray's commentary, there are far worse commentators out there.

What is it with women in football that irks men so much. Grow a pair of balls I say.

Chrisjn

Yeh she did alright.

But they're just so God-damn emotional!!

She must have been thick skinned, can imagine some of the stuff she would have heard shouted from behind her in the crowd.

Might put the players off too, if they're some sort of sexual dynamo.

And girls don't know the offside rule.

It's fair enough, but she would probably do a better job as part of the backroom staff, making butties for the players after the game.

CantonasWife

Queen B
It doesn't matter that they say it for a laugh or not. The thought of this kind of commentary being accepted is sad. Women are no less equipped to do the job, and when two representatives of the game think it's justified to make a comment like that then we have an issue. There are little girls and women in the stands on every ground these days, and they're alienating them with these kind of comments.

Idiots.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Far, far worse things will have been said than that off the air by every single commentator and pundit out there (and everyone on this forum, for that matter). It'd be absolutely crazy if happened here.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
It doesn't matter that they say it for a laugh or not. The thought of this kind of commentary being accepted is sad. Women are no less equipped to do the job, and when two representatives of the game think it's justified to make a comment like that then we have an issue. There are little girls and women in the stands on every ground these days, and they're alienating them with these kind of comments.

Idiots.
To be fair they didn't say any of it on commentary.

Spoony

The People's President

Idiots.
Their comments aren't said in jest, well at least that's not how they come across. I suspect blokes just feel a bit threatened by women encroaching on a male dominated sport....a game that most men find refuge in - away from women. I guess it's a kin to Lord's Members' pavilion and its gents only policy. But yeah Keys' and Gray's comments are cringeworthy....but their views are shared by the majority. You'll just have to get used to it.

Women and football eh. Kick it hard! Sorry....