Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Out of the 4 being reported (McKenna, Tuchel, Frank and Poch), I'd have him as the top candidate
I’d have him above Poch and Frank. Tuchel seems a more sensible choice, but almost a bit safe. McKenna is the more exciting choice, because who the feck knows what will happen? I feel like we’ll either win the league or come 15th.

inthetrenches

Too much of a risk.
We've just finished 8th. What's there really to risk? We're not going to get relegated with our budget. Even with Boehly/Lampard's unbeleivable levels of incompetence Chelsea finished 14th.

Mckenna has done amazing so far, understands the identity of the club and could be the next big thing. He's proven far more than Zidane, Guardiola, Alonso or Arteta did when they got a big job and showed they were top managers.

I'd rather we take a chance on him then bring in a competent and proven manager like Poch/Tuchel etc.. who might get us into the top 4 but are never going to outdo Guardiola or even Arteta and have us finishing with 90+ points.

Based Adnan

I’d have him above Poch and Frank. Tuchel seems a more sensible choice, but almost a bit safe. McKenna is the more exciting choice, because who the feck knows what will happen? I feel like we’ll either win the league or come 15th.
I rate Tuchel and I'd have him comfortably second ahead of Frank and Poch (probably in that order).

I just feel like with McKenna it's a risk worth taking. I think there's potentially something special in him. One of the highest rated young coaches in the country before we even got him and he's far exceeded expectations as a manager. You'd imagine he'd have a good idea on what to do before he even comes in based on his prior experiences here as well.

Like you said it could end horribly but I think it's worth it than to go with the tried and tested which isn't a guarantee either (as we've found out...).

kaku06

Vulgarian
:lol: What does that prove? I was talking more about him reacting to his players on the touch line regarding mistakes, giving instructions, interviews with the media. If you had followed McKenna you would know that he’s quite a mellowed man abit like Graham potter.

luke511

:lol: What does that prove? I was talking more about him reacting to his players on the touch line regarding mistakes, giving instructions, interviews with the media. If you had followed McKenna you would know that he’s quite a mellowed man abit like Graham potter.
You said you've never seen a fiery side to him on the touchline, reacting to a result etc, that's simply an example.

next_number_seven

I rate Tuchel and I'd have him comfortably second ahead of Frank and Poch (probably in that order).

I just feel like with McKenna it's a risk worth taking. I think there's potentially something special in him. One of the highest rated young coaches in the country before we even got him and he's far exceeded expectations as a manager. You'd imagine he'd have a good idea on what to do before he even comes in based on his prior experiences here as well.

Like you said it could end horribly but I think it's worth it than to go with the tried and tested which isn't a guarantee either (as we've found out...).
I'd go with McKenna.

There's lots of intangibles like he grew up a United fan, spent a good few years coaching here already.

Although most of the best managers weren't fans of the clubs they managed.

I'm not even sure Pep grew up a Barca fan but it's probably.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I also felt that he would be better served going to Brighton, but all the things I'm hearing have me intrigued. I'm open to giving him a chance, he sounds like he has the tactical nous. The only problem is that I look at him and wonder if he has the authority about him yet. He just sounds like a young, intelligent coach, but I don't know enough about him to know if he's got that bit of 'spike' about his personality to succeed just yet.

2 man midfield

Yeah I remember him being highly rated, and was pleased when Jose promoted him to assistant when Faria left.

A couple of areas of concern I’d have: the big one - he’s never managed a premier league game before. Then there’s the fact that he did basically all the coaching under Ole, during which we played some decent stuff but ultimately came up short. Plus there were leaks about the players disliking his methods. Can he win their respect? Are those players really going to have been won over by a 2 year spell at Ipswich?

But then sometimes these things require a leap of faith don’t they. Neither Pep, Zidane or Arteta even managed a first team game between them before they got their jobs. Who knows, at least it won’t be boring.

kaku06

Vulgarian
If we are thinking about hiring McKenna then we surely must look at Rob Edwards too. No? A young manager himself, promoted Forest green rovers to league 1 from league 2 for the first time ever in his first season. Took charge of luton in 2022 and guided them to premier league for the first time ever. Outperformed Kompany and performed better than anyone expected given the budget.

I think we must look at Rob Edwards.

In Rainbows

So, not really about his actual qualities as a football manager but the feeling it'd give IF he's a success here which is very unlikely.

He's a rookie manager who never managed in PL, has no trophies (didn't even win the championship), no playing career, no experience in any top league etc.
So was Zidane, Pep, Xabi, and Arteta. I like how you included playing career as if that's a clear positive.

I can easily turn that around and say that what McKenna is doing is even more impressive because he doesn't get the same nepotism involved with ex players. He got to be manager on his own merit.

Looks like people learned absolutely nothing with the disastrous Ole era and are still wanting the Roy of the Rovers stuff with the Man United manager. I'm sure they'd take Ole back with open arms if we offered him the job right now.

The sentimentality is what brought us to this point and we absolutely can not afford to serve as a guinea pig once again after we did it with Ole and it backfired massively and set us back for years. We still suffer from that horrible period.

We need to be realistic and give the job to the best possible candidate. McKenna is far from that (at least for now).
What is similar about him and Ole? Ole was already given a PL job, got relegated and while in the Championship could not get his side to do well even though he had an advantage of being a former PL side.

Ole was an ex player. United didn't just give him the job. He was an interim and after he had gotten results, United decided to persist with him. So it's not the same situation as McKenna in how he was hired either.

I would argue that giving the job to someone like Carrick is more about sentimentality than McKenna. McKenna can be evaluated as positive on his own merit. He's not just some ex United legend, or ex United person that just happens to be around. He's earned a chance at United via his excellence throughout his career. We hired him as a youth coach because he was considered a very talented Spurs youth coach. He succeeded as our u18 coach. He then gets promoted from that because of how well he was doing. And literally the only blip in his career is him being an assistant where an assistant does not have much authority.

He leaves because he wanted to be a manager and right away guides Ipswich to 2 promotions playing great football.

This wouldn't be a hire because of sentimentality. He would be hired over his talent.

Some of our fans are just always scared. Scared to sack the manager because of the unknown. Scared of playing a young player over a more experienced player. We literally hired Ole who did worse than McKenna, and he was able to get United hovering in the top 4. Some of you play up the risk too much.

kaku06

Vulgarian
But then sometimes these things require a leap of faith don’t they. Neither Pep, Zidane or Arteta even managed a first team game between them before they got their jobs. Who knows, at least it won’t be boring.
Not this argument again. Other than being good coaches which they proved later on Pep, Zidane gained the respect of the players also because they were top players themselves, Zidane was legendary. Even Arteta played at the highest level. That goes a long way to earn some trust of the players initially when you are a young coach. Kieran McKenna has no clout whatsoever. It’s completely baffling to compare McKenna to Pep, Zidane and Arteta.

AdNani

So, not really about his actual qualities as a football manager but the feeling it'd give IF he's a success here which is very unlikely.

He's a rookie manager who never managed in PL, has no trophies (didn't even win the championship), no playing career, no experience in any top league etc.

Looks like people learned absolutely nothing with the disastrous Ole era and are still wanting the Roy of the Rovers stuff with the Man United manager. I'm sure they'd take Ole back with open arms if we offered him the job right now.

The sentimentality is what brought us to this point and we absolutely can not afford to serve as a guinea pig once again after we did it with Ole and it backfired massively and set us back for years. We still suffer from that horrible period.

We need to be realistic and give the job to the best possible candidate. McKenna is far from that (at least for now).
it's got everything to do with his ability, he wouldn't be under consideration if he hadn't done an exceptional job.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The belief that shouting and ranting from the sideline for any manager means they are doing a good job flies in the face of reality.

Eplel

Not this argument again. Other than being good coaches which they proved later on Pep, Zidane gained the respect of the players also because they were top players themselves, Zidane was legendary. Even Arteta played at the highest level. That goes a long way to earn some trust of the players initially when you are a young coach. Kieran McKenna has no clout whatsoever. It’s completely baffling to compare McKenna to Pep, Zidane and Arteta.

Here's a counter-argument: Any player not willing to respect the manager because of "clout", can get in the bin.

Based Adnan

Yeah I remember him being highly rated, and was pleased when Jose promoted him to assistant when Faria left.

A couple of areas of concern I’d have: the big one - he’s never managed a premier league game before. Then there’s the fact that he did basically all the coaching under Ole, during which we played some decent stuff but ultimately came up short. Plus there were leaks about the players disliking his methods. Can he win their respect? Are those players really going to have been won over by a 2 year spell at Ipswich?

With the Ole thing I'm not too concerned with that. Not gonna sit here and say I've watched many Ipswich games this season but I watched them vs Chelsea in the League Cup and whilst they lost over 2 legs, the football they played was nothing like Oles. It was very high risk proactive football whereas Ole would have sat back, kept defensive shape and countered in a game like that where his team is the clear underdog. Makes me question how much influence him and Carrick really had under Ole in terms of the actual set up.

The players thing does bring into question his charisma but ultimately I think we're all in agreement that the squad needs a rebuild anyway. Would be interesting to see which group/how many players weren't fans of his when he was here. You'd imagine there's some overlap between those that fall into this group and those that need moving on considering how much of the squad falls into the latter. Could be an issue in the short term as you can't exactly move on so many players in a single window but I think most of us realize it's a project that will take a couple of seasons at the very least.

One thing that helps re the risk as well is that we'll have an actual competent football hierarchy that will be involved in the decision making in terms of the squad and transfers (with some input from the manager). Limits the amount of damage a manager can do when they have such a large input like we've seen in recent years.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Here's a counter-argument: Any player not willing to respect the manager because of "clout", can get in the bin.
I’m surprised that you are surprised that player respects a manager more if he has played the game at the highest level. That’s just normal.

2 man midfield

Did you read the rest of my post?
With the Ole thing I'm not too concerned with that. Not gonna sit here and say I've watched many Ipswich games this season but I watched them vs Chelsea in the League Cup and whilst they lost over 2 legs, the football they played was nothing like Oles. It was very high risk proactive football whereas Ole would have sat back, kept defensive shape and countered in a game like that where his team is the clear underdog. Makes me question how much influence him and Carrick really had under Ole in terms of the actual set up.

The players thing does bring into question his charisma but ultimately I think we're all in agreement that the squad needs a rebuild anyway. Would be interesting to see which group/how many players weren't fans of his when he was here. You'd imagine there's some overlap between those that fall into this group and those that need moving on considering how much of the squad falls into the latter. Could be an issue in the short term as you can't exactly move on so many players in a single window but I think most of us realize it's a project that will take a couple of seasons at the very least.

One thing that helps re the risk as well is that we'll have an actual competent football hierarchy that will be involved in the decision making in terms of the squad and transfers (with some input from the manager). Limits the amount of damage a manager can do when they have such a large input like we've seen in recent years.
Let’s hope so, because it sounds like it’s gathering pace. Feel for Ten Hag really, we’re less than 2 days away from a cup final and this stuff is all over the news.

In Rainbows

That respect clearly does not matter as much as you're alluding to. Respect like that can easily be lost if you're not managing the locker room correctly, there is no tangible benefit to your training, etc... And you can easily gain their respect if you do the mentioned well.

They proved to their players that they were good managers. Besides, that sort of respect wouldn't be there for Tuchel, or Amorim, or whoever that did not have the careers of Zidane or Xabi. Those other managers would be in the same position as McKenna, except more experienced. Experience that does not matter if your methods become unpopular with the locker room.

That is to say that managers whether ex player, inexperienced, or experienced will live or die on their methods.

And actually, even an inexperienced manager will have respect initially too because they are your superiors. And once again, that respect can easily be thrown away or you can earn more via your coaching methods.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think RDZ should be on that list too.

McKenna
Tuchel
RDZ
Poch

I think it'll be one of them 4 now. I don't think it'll be Frank with those other names available.
Well, I can't stand him so I'd be happy to swap him for RDZ, but just going by the rumours. Maybe those five should do it. Anyway, would be fun to see an actual poll on the realistic alternatives, were INEOS to make a managerial change.

kaku06

Vulgarian
No, you're just doing a poor job of articulating what you mean.
I explained what I mean in my posts. You can read the last 2 pages. They aren’t that long. If you don’t want to go through them then I’ll pull one just for you. Let me know.

kaku06

Vulgarian
That respect clearly does not matter as much as you're alluding to. Respect like that can easily be lost if you're not managing the locker room correctly, there is no tangible benefit to your training, etc... And you can easily gain their respect if you do the mentioned well.

They proved to their players that they were good managers. Besides, that sort of respect wouldn't be there for Tuchel, or Amorim, or whoever that did not have the careers of Zidane or Xabi. Those other managers would be in the same position as McKenna, except more experienced. Experience that does not matter if your methods become unpopular with the locker room.

That is to say that managers whether ex player, inexperienced, or experienced will live or die on their methods.

And actually, even an inexperienced manager will have respect initially too because they are your superiors. And once again, that respect can easily be thrown away or you can earn more via your coaching methods.
I actually agree with most of your points. No, I also don’t think respect is the only thing that matters. That was specifically for cases like Zidane, Pep etc. Rookie managers taking charge of huge clubs and dressing room full of egos.

Regarding your last part, we are only talking about good coaches here not bad ones. But is coaching the only thing you need to succced at a huge club? I don’t think so at all. The personality, the character in a manager are equally important. There’s a common denominator between Sir Alex, Pep, Jose, Klopp and many more like Ancelotti, Simeone, Tuchel etc. I do believe Potter is a good coach but do i believe he can succeed at a big club? No, for the same reasons I’m doubting McKenna especially at this time, who i also believe is a very good coach.

SAF is the GOAT

I really don't envy him if he's going to be our manager next season because the expectations are going to be so high. Personally I don't think he's quite ready right now to be our manager. He already experienced the pressure when he was only a coach, imagine what will it be when he's going to be in the front ?
2 good seasons at lesser team and lower leagues doesn't Equate to the PL and Manchester United with all due respect.

distant_red

One stat I saw that made me nervy was that Ipswich were 3rd in the Championship for most conceded shots per 90 at 10.8 per game. We’ve had a bit of an issue with that.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
It's funny people still use tweets from years ago which says "players find training very basic" in 2024. I mean if those reports are true, if will be based on just one player or some staff leaking info to some journalist for the 2 way perks. It's not like whole squad lined up to complain about the coach.

Also some posts like control the players, tame the player, FFS it's football. Not prison. He shouldn't tame the player, he should be the leader of the group, when you are a good leader, players will follow you. Some cnuts who won't play much won't be happy and they will be out anyways.

Right now we need stability, I don't know if McKenna is the right manager but he has lot of potential. Im not sure if he will get time to sort out the mess. There will be enormous pressure, lose couple of games and usual cunthurst and few others will come up with "players think this is lower league level" articles and fans will lap it up.

I rate him very highly, just that time might not be right. Someone like Tuchel for couple of seasons before McKenna would be ideal. And any manager without control on transfers should be the way forward. They all should work as a team but "back manager at any cost" set up should die with this season.