Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Were Barca crazy to go for Pep or Madrid with Zidane or Leverkusen with Alonso because Mckenna has more experience than each of those prior to them taking over at those clubs
Their playing careers got them those jobs, Mckenna doesn't have that, but like you say, he has way more experience than they did

Hughes35

I'd genuinely have him very high on my shortlist at this stage. He's done a miraculous job at Ipswich.

Gavinb33

Their playing careers got them those jobs, Mckenna doesn't have that, but like you say, he has way more experience than they did
Their playing careers did and playing careers also got managers jobs who failed to, if you're the right man you're the right man, I also don't believe that anything he does at Ipswich from here out has changes anything in terms of his suitability for the United job thats no to say he should be manager but the notion if he keeps Ipswich up it makes him more suitable for the job is a nonsense

next_number_seven

Does anyone know anything about his philosophy and style of play?

I think he's definitely on a short list to replace ETH.
He was a coach for years before this job so he's more experienced than he appears.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I think we have seen over the years that a successful playing career doesn't necessarily translate into success as a manager. I like the way his coaching career has developed with academy & assistant all being rungs on the ladder.
Lots of clubs will be watching him but I don't see him leaving Ipswich any time soon.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Their playing careers did and playing careers also got managers jobs who failed to, if you're the right man you're the right man, I also don't believe that anything he does at Ipswich from here out has changes anything in terms of his suitability for the United job thats no to say he should be manager but the notion if he keeps Ipswich up it makes him more suitable for the job is a nonsense
You could also use the same logic for any manager no matter who they are TBH

Borninthe80ts

He won't leave Ipswich this summer if he guides Ipswich up. He comes across as a really decent bloke and he's building something there. Give him a season in the top flight with them. Let ETH have his final contracted season and see what happens. Maybe he will be back at Utd then?
I like the sound of this in theory as it’s gives Ten the chance under a stable regime hopefully after the first years his good work deserved. No player drama’s, fingers crossed less injuries and if he fails then it is time for him to go and maybe give a manager with knowledge of the club a chance. If we are looking at some of these other unproven( at the very top) candidates then his in the conversation for me.

Gavinb33

You could also use the same logic for any manager no matter who they are TBH
I agree 100%, what I meant on that to expand on is this, we have given the experienced manager who kept a team in the PL around the top 8 for over 10 years and he failed miserably its doesn't prove anything, if they think Mckenna or anyone is the right man he is the right man now

NoPace

Is his squad as mediocre as it looks?

A midfield 3 of 2 guys who couldn't get in the Australia or Egypt squads for 4-5 years until their form picked up under him and then a seemingly pretty good Champo player in Chaplin to be fair. Davis and Moore I've seen play, I get why they're doing well, though 18 assists for Davis is insane from LB.

If he'd take a 2 year contract, I think it makes sense and either he's the man long-term, or at least we look a little sounder tactically and hopefully develop Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo and the 3-4 young players we should sign this summer.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Is his squad as mediocre as it looks?

A midfield 3 of 2 guys who couldn't get in the Australia or Egypt squads for 4-5 years until their form picked up under him and then a seemingly pretty good Champo player in Chaplin to be fair. Davis and Moore I've seen play, I get why they're doing well, though 18 assists for Davis is insane from LB.

If he'd take a 2 year contract, I think it makes sense and either he's the man long-term, or at least we look a little sounder tactically and hopefully develop Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo and the 3-4 young players we should sign this summer.
21 assists.

Their squad is nowhere near being ready for the PL. Yes I know people probably said the same about the Championship, but the jump in quality is huge.

If they can extend the loans of Hutchinson & Sarmiento at least there’s two attacking players who I believe will become Premier League players long-term.

I love Sam Morsy’s attitude but that only takes you so far. Luongo the same. Reliable workhorses but that’s probably not enough. They like to play out from the back, even under intense press, so they need better players on the ball to do that in the PL.

Broadhead probably deserves a chance in the Premier League.

Hladký has impressed me, but it’d probably be ideal if he was the experienced no.2. It’s usually pretty easy to find a PL level keeper on loan from the other PL clubs.

Teja

Could see 1 or 2 younger players going there on loan as would like to think (given his experience here), he’d treat them well and they’d get some chance of PL minutes
Yeah we should be all over this tbh. Before I piss off the Amad fan club, I wouldn't mind him going to Ipswich for a year. We should even be looking at potential sales to them because he's been at United and managed guys like McTominay before.

Amir

Were Barca crazy to go for Pep or Madrid with Zidane or Leverkusen with Alonso because Mckenna has more experience than each of those prior to them taking over at those clubs
Pep and Zidane were already employed by Barca and Real in coaching roles, respectively, so the people there could judge them. The football people who we are bringing in (Ashworth, etc) do not have that familiarity.

I actually wouldn't mind to take a punt on someone like McKenna once we have the structure and its people up and running. But that's going to take some more time. Bringing him in this summer when we are still building things up would not be a great situation for himself. I'd give him - and us - a bit more time, for his own sake as well.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
21 assists.

Their squad is nowhere near being ready for the PL. Yes I know people probably said the same about the Championship, but the jump in quality is huge.

If they can extend the loans of Hutchinson & Sarmiento at least there’s two attacking players who I believe will become Premier League players long-term.

I love Sam Morsy’s attitude but that only takes you so far. Luongo the same. Reliable workhorses but that’s probably not enough. They like to play out from the back, even under intense press, so they need better players on the ball to do that in the PL.

Broadhead probably deserves a chance in the Premier League.

Hladký has impressed me, but it’d probably be ideal if he was the experienced no.2. It’s usually pretty easy to find a PL level keeper on loan from the other PL clubs.
You’re absolutely right about Morsy/Luongo. They’ve been fantastic for the last couple of years but I fear they’ll be found out in the Prem.

Hladky was really our second choice, but our first choice Christian Walton got a bad injury in preseason and wasn’t able to reclaim his place mid-season when he recovered. So it will be interesting to see what happens next season.

Chairman Steve

If our operation was really slick, which is the polar opposite of what we have been pre-INEOS, then maybe you could see it as a possibility… but even then, it would still be a giant risk.

I do think though in time when the likes of Ashworth and Wilcox come in and establish a way of working, that we can afford to take punts like this. The traditional managers are phasing out and it’s all about head coaches and football directors. The latter issues the broad mandates for what to do and the former executes them.

criticalanalysis

Tuanzebe has been playing quite regularly for them recently, which is nice to see.

We sent Brandon Williams to Ipswich this year. Scored one good goal but that was it. Think off the field issues affected the loan.
Not sure if that's right. Maybe initially but I think he became bit of a regular for them until injuries. Was sent back to Carrington afaik.

Perhaps we could get a decent low value transfer fee off them considering his wages.

Munkehboi

Tuanzebe has been playing quite regularly for them recently, which is nice to see.

Not sure if that's right. Maybe initially but I think he became bit of a regular for them until injuries. Was sent back to Carrington afaik.

Perhaps we could get a decent low value transfer fee off them considering his wages.
Maybe I'm unfair on him? I'm always a bit dubious when it comes to unknown injuries and illnesses. Maybe he will go for £2-3million at most? His career has really gone sideways I feel. Definitely a lower prem team player. Think a lot will depend if Davis leaves Ipswich or not? My mates would be happy to sell him for a decent fee based off his assists record if they get promoted.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Maybe I'm unfair on him? I'm always a bit dubious when it comes to unknown injuries and illnesses. Maybe he will go for £2-3million at most? His career has really gone sideways I feel. Definitely a lower prem team player. Think a lot will depend if Davis leaves Ipswich or not? My mates would be happy to sell him for a decent fee based off his assists record if they get promoted.
His contract is up, we’re not getting a fee unless they trigger the option on his loan.

AndyMUFC

Done a fantastic job but there's a good chance he'll end up getting sacked if Ipswich are struggling next year, and there's no reason they should be doing any better than that. It's just one of the daft ways football works.