King Barack Obama?

Bearded but no genius

For the first time ever prior to a candidate getting a nomination, Obama has been given secret service protection.

He's getting coronated, and he's not got any governmental experience worth a damn. He's got a nice hairdo. He's got a great smile. But he doesn't seem to particularly have a clue. He carefully controls interviews, rolls with the wind in terms of positions, and has a legislative leadership record that makes mine look impressive.

Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, she knows her onions about the issues and has real and serious plans and ideas for the USA. I don't agree with her most of the time, but she's got a serious direction and ideas crafted from decades of experience within and around government.

Four years ago I looked forward to a real debate about the direction the US should go in between either Hillary and Condoleeza Rice or Rudy Giuliani.

Now it could be two clueless "hairdo candidates" in the general election - Obama and Mitt Romney.

Another 4-8 years of us yanks being out to lunch? Oh dear.

Bearded but no genius

Right, thanks KK

Is there really much difference between the Democrats and Republicans nowadays?

Are they not a bit like Labour and the Tories in that respect?
If these two get the nomination, no.

I want there to be a difference. That's why I prefer Hillary to Obama.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I can't believe anyone could not support Israel

In the sense it is a democracy in the Middle East, which is a good thing

Even though I disagree with some of the things it does, it doesn't mean I can't support it

The Kippax Kid

Smashed's number 1 fan and the caf's little blue a
MANCHESTER CITY FC. the pride of manchester.
That has nothing to do with being a "neo-con" and you know it.

I can't be arsed with you and your knee-jerk anti-American crap.
good.

but you are far more to the right than most british people, it is not a critiscm it is a fact.

no need to get upset about it though and call me a moron.

i am way to the left of any politics you have have probably experienced, but if you called me a commie i would not get upset :)

Bearded but no genius

good.

but you are far more to the right than most british people, it is not a critiscm it is a fact.

no need to get upset about it though and call me a moron.

i am way to the left of any politics you have have probably experienced, but if you called me a commie i would not get upset :)
That has nothing to do with this thread.

Kindly feck off out of it rather than taking it wildly off topic with your childishness and bigoted cartoon image of the USA.

Bearded but no genius

I can't believe anyone could not support Israel

In the sense it is a democracy in the Middle East, which is a good thing

Even though I disagree with some of the things it does, it doesn't mean I can't support it
Ask Kippax.

She has proudly admitted to being "anti-Israel" and "anti-America".

But please do it in another thread.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
OK, thanks for the heads up

As to the point about Obama, I feel as though politics is about clamouring for the centre ground, at least in the UK at the moment, which alienates a lot of people. And I can see their points.

If it is Obama v Romney, and if their views are nearly synonymous, like the charge levied at Bush and Gore in 2000, I can understand if the turnout falls below 50% again

The Kippax Kid

Smashed's number 1 fan and the caf's little blue a
MANCHESTER CITY FC. the pride of manchester.
Ask Kippax.

She has proudly admitted to being "anti-Israel" and "anti-America".

But please do it in another thread.
kin ell :D :D

are you really that narrow minded that you can pigeon hole people so easily.

as i said jas you have no clue to my politics, i see the world very differently to you.

thing is i dont get personal and call people morons for there views,

Bearded but no genius

It is becoming just like what is happening in the UK.

One difference is here they have to play to the side for the nomination, and then rush to the centre for the general election, unlike the British system where obviously your party decides on its leader who determines policy for the whole party.

The thing that irritates me the most is with these two their views will both be determined at the very last second.

Hillary and someone like Guiliani are politicians with real honest stands on the issues (even if they both play to the centre big time in the general). I also like a race between them because they're social liberals - with different ideas about foreign policy, tax policies, social services and other issues without trying to enter into people's homes.

With the nomination process getting moved up and up (the presidential candidates will basically be nominated 11 months prior to the election now!), it makes it easier for someone with a good "image" without any real ideas to grab a hold of the nomination before he or she is found out.

I'm concerned for a country that elects its leader on looks - and that's what an Obama or Romney presidency would be about.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I guess they are shitting themselves at the thought of having a black candidate assasinated. I doubt there is more to it than that.

My gut feeling is that we could end up with Hialry nominated and Obama as VP on her card. I'd guess that that combination would walk in. Am I talking out of my arse? Is it even vaguely possible?

Bearded but no genius

I guess they are shitting themselves at the thought of having a black candidate assasinated. I doubt there is more to it than that.

My gut feeling is that we could end up with Hialry nominated and Obama as VP on her card. I'd guess that that combination would walk in. Am I talking out of my arse? Is it even vaguely possible?
That's the only possible answer, although there's so much whacko hate from the left in America now that really anyone on the left or the right is equally in danger really.

Hillary's already got the protection because of being the wife of a former president, so for the first time ever two people from the same party are running for president with Secret Service protection. It isn't like he's not got serious police protection and security. I found it odd the Secret Service felt the need to go to such unprecedented levels.

Him as the VP is a distinct possibility. His candidacy has been so much about appearances rather than positions (much like Edwards in 2004) that you get the feeling he's running so he can have the experience on his resume.

Hillary stands a very good chance if she can leapfrog Obama. Hopefully her and someone like Giuliani can have real debates over real ideas.

If Romney or John 'Chameleon' McCain (who actually was in negotiations to become a democrat in 2001) get the nomination, then we're not going to have any sort of national discussion about diddly squat.

That would be a tremendous disservice to this country and a waste of another decade while the baby boom gets older and real decisions have to be made about how to care for them and not destroy our economy in the process, as well as the huge issues that face us globally.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's the only possible answer, although there's so much whacko hate from the left in America now that really anyone on the left or the right is equally in danger really.
But a dead politician ie either a) a good start or b) a dead politician but a dead black politician, especially one taking a run at the White House could open up a can of worms re. race relations, social stratification by race, not to mention race riots that could make the Rodney King thing seem like a holiday.

Bearded but no genius

We really don't have as big of racial problems as many outside of America like to make out.

Otherwise Obama wouldn't be such a runaway leader in the race.

Yes, a black candidate murdered would be horrible, and be treated wildly different than another being murdered.

I would ask in this day and age whether it should be though. Surely he's just a candidate, right? Or have we reached a stage in the bizarre racial dance of mankind where the death of someone of one race is again more important than the death of someone of another - but with the races reversed?

I'm not sure I'd like to have to accept that as a status quo position.

Its just skin pigment. People are ridiculous, really.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We really don't have as big of racial problems as many outside of America like to make out.

I wasn't suggesting you do. Just that certain events can trigger rioting like happened over the rodney King incident and this needs to be avoided at all costs.

Yes, a black candidate murdered would be horrible, and be treated wildly different than another being murdered.

I would ask in this day and age whether it should be though. Surely he's just a candidate, right? Or have we reached a stage in the bizarre racial dance of mankind where the death of someone of one race is again more important than the death of someone of another - but with the races reversed?

Inevitable I suppose. A dead white bloke is a dead white bloke. a dead female or black candidate, particulalry since the loon in question will probably be acting to stop a black or a female getting into the White House, would have political implications way beyond a simple" assasination.

Once race, sex, sexual orientation becomes less of an issue then perhaps this can happen.

We have an election here later this year and some dickhead liberal Senator just came out and said that the Labour Deputy leader wasn't fit to take a leadership role because she hasn't got kid. Or "Deliberatly barren" as he so tactfully put it. He was obviously going for the "She's a Lezbo" angle which is a bit silly since she isn't. Not that it matter anyway.

Bearded but no genius

Fair points. Although someone who murders a Republican would probably be out to stop evil rich white Christians - that should have deeper social implications, but it wouldn't.

Deliberately barren?

I think my country is insane, but somehow I can always take solace that Australia is more insane than America!

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I think Hillary will need the help of a VP candidate who can carry a traditionally Republican state. Evan Bayh of Indiana would seem the ideal candidate to accomplish that. She will begin the general election with a tremendous advantage, already having California, New York, and Illinois in the bag, but will still need to take one or two of the republican southern states that Gore and Kerry couldn't - Arkansas is one, West Virginia might be another - but taking Indiana would be devastating to the other side since its generally a Republican lock. That's why I see Bayh, who has a very centrist reputation with a track record of sucesss as a Democrat in a convservative state.

On the other hand she might be wise to take Bill Nelson from Florida who might be able to pull Florida for the Dems, which of course would also be massive.

Can't see her taking the likes of Obama or Edwards, since they wouldn't bring much to the table.

Dublin

....wise choice for a Username or not? Discuss.
DUBLIN (Reuters) - Documents unearthed by an Irish vicar show ancestors of Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama may have arrived in the United States from a tiny village in central Ireland as early as the 1790s.

"They're old parish records going back to 1799," Canon Stephen Neill, rector for the parish of Moneygall, Co Offaly told Reuters.

"They're in remarkably good condition and we have constant applications from Americans chasing their ancestors."

Between 1845 and 1851 over a million people left Ireland on 'famine ships' to escape mass-starvation caused by potato blight and ancestry.co.uk says passenger lists show Obama's great-great-great grandfather Falmuth Kearney was among them.
Reminds me of what Phil Lynott used to say at Thin Lizzy Concerts in America - he says: "Is there anybody out there who has got any Irish in them?" Loud cheers. Then he asks: "Any of you girls out there want some more Irish in them?" :D

topper

Clown
Don't know much about Obama but I shudder to think that a candidatelike him with so little experience can be a potential Prez of USA and the uncrowned King of the free world

cinc

you are far more to the right wing than any english party.

but that aint just you, it is most of you
Neo-con is nothing to do with being right-wing. That's just what lazy journalists say.

Neocons are liberals who are saying they have been confronted with reality. So you can say, that eg. Tony Blair is a neo-con.

(I'm an old fashioned social liberal, myself)

cinc

For the first time ever prior to a candidate getting a nomination, Obama has been given secret service protection.

He's getting coronated, and he's not got any governmental experience worth a damn. He's got a nice hairdo. He's got a great smile. But he doesn't seem to particularly have a clue. He carefully controls interviews, rolls with the wind in terms of positions, and has a legislative leadership record that makes mine look impressive.

Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, she knows her onions about the issues and has real and serious plans and ideas for the USA. I don't agree with her most of the time, but she's got a serious direction and ideas crafted from decades of experience within and around government.

Four years ago I looked forward to a real debate about the direction the US should go in between either Hillary and Condoleeza Rice or Rudy Giuliani.

Now it could be two clueless "hairdo candidates" in the general election - Obama and Mitt Romney.

Another 4-8 years of us yanks being out to lunch? Oh dear.

I don't see any difference between Hillary and Obama, its just marketing. Obama infact has a lot in common with how Bill Clinton was percieved back in the late 80s, early 90s - an outsider democrat who in reality was a product of the old-party system. It was Pamela Harriman who made him a president, after all.

spinoza

Paz's ion
I don't see any difference between Hillary and Obama, its just marketing. Obama infact has a lot in common with how Bill Clinton was percieved back in the late 80s, early 90s - an outsider democrat who in reality was a product of the old-party system. It was Pamela Harriman who made him a president, after all.
Obama has the most nebulous policies of the three Democrat frontrunners. Nothing on healthcare, nothing on economics, a little something on trade, for example. Iraq is what he's fleshed out the most.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Barack Obama looks alright, my american friends all think highly of him. He's gotta be better than both Kerry and Bush.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.

You don't seem to understand that those threats wouldn't be there if he wasn't black so the fact that people are concerned is only due to the fact that he is receiving death threats from credible sources.

If it were Hilary it would be exactly the same.This however isn't anything new when Tiger woods started out he encountered the same thing it just comes down to the fact that their are many white oganisations in America who don't like to see a black man in what is perceived to be a white Role/area. The fact that people have actually moved to protect the guy should be applauded not derided.

Bearded but no genius

You don't seem to understand that those threats wouldn't be there if he wasn't black so the fact that people are concerned is only due to the fact that he is receiving death threats from credible sources.

If it were Hilary it would be exactly the same.This however isn't anything new when Tiger woods started out he encountered the same thing it just comes down to the fact that their are many white oganisations in America who don't like to see a black man in what is perceived to be a white Role/area. The fact that people have actually moved to protect the guy should be applauded not derided.
You don't seem to understand that they specifically said there were no credible threats.

But you know those rednecks...

That's a form of bigotry in itself.

If you think there aren't whacko liberal groups that would love to pop a cap into Giuliani, then you are kidding yourself.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If you think there aren't whacko liberal groups that would love to pop a cap into Giuliani, then you are kidding yourself.
But nobody takes them seriously because they always get caught due to announcing thier assasination attempts by having a $500 per plate fundraiser, with Hollywood stars at the top table, to raise finds to hire the hitman, who doesn't wear fur and is a personal friend of the Dalai Lama.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
You don't seem to understand that they specifically said there were no credible threats.

But you know those rednecks...

That's a form of bigotry in itself.

Fair enougth but post-katrina can they really afford to feck-up on another race issue, any threat has to be treated with a little respect due to the potential for further damage to race relations.

It's also worth mentioning that whilst alot of liberals/Liberal groups like to spout off about how much they'd like to kill Giuliani if you put them in a room with him they'd spend all their time trying to convince him in vain to believe what they believe. Right-wing/conservative groups have a track record of following through will their threats as in Martin luther king and Abraham Lincoln.