King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
interesting how he no longer picks the likes of martinez and antony now they’re playing for united and no longer at ajax :rolleyes: he really is a bitter old man.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
close all other threads, this is the winning one :D ;)

MalaysianRed7

@Cheimoon ban this guy. What the feck is "Holland"?
I’ve never understood why people call the Netherlands “Holland”. As far as I’m aware, it is just a town on the outskirts of the actual country of Netherlands isn’t it? :lol: Not just a few either, it’s possible that more people actually ignorantly refer to the country as Holland.

Anyway, the Netherlands should at least reach the quarter finals of this World Cup, where they’ll play a 50-50 game against Argentina. Should be a good watch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I’ve never understood why people call the Netherlands “Holland”. As far as I’m aware, it is just a town on the outskirts of the actual country of Netherlands isn’t it? :lol: Not just a few either, it’s possible that more people actually ignorantly refer to the country as Holland.

Anyway, the Netherlands should at least reach the quarter finals of this World Cup, where they’ll play a 50-50 game against Argentina. Should be a good watch.
It's a bit more than a town. The two most important provinces of The Netherlands (right @Cheimoon??) are Zuid Holland and Noord Holland. Together they form "Holland" sort of. Historically Holland actually predates The Netherlands which is part of the reason the name is quite prevalent and misused as the name of our entire country.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
interesting how he no longer picks the likes of martinez and antony now they’re playing for united and no longer at ajax :rolleyes: he really is a bitter old man.
They're not Dutch lol! reverse white text

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It's a bit more than a town. The two most important provinces of The Netherlands (right @Cheimoon??) are Zuid Holland and Noord Holland. Together they form "Holland" sort of. Historically Holland actually predates The Netherlands which is part of the reason the name is quite prevalent and misused as the name of our entire country.
Yeah and the most populous ones

Stadjer

Neverlands meets Neverkusen.. Why even bother to call these guys up?
Because Frimpong is suppose to be good? I believe he is the defender with most goal/assist contributions in Europe? Even a rumour that Manchester United and even Real Madrid are looking at him.

SoCross

Why are the potential line ups excluding De Ligt? Isn’t/wasn’t he the bees knees?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Why are the potential line ups excluding De Ligt? Isn’t/wasn’t he the bees knees?
LVG wants a leftie at lcb, Van Dijk is without question, and since neither van Dijk/Ake are defenders who run intro midfield he choses Timber as a third as he has those qualities more than De Ligt/de Vrij..

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Because Frimpong is suppose to be good? I believe he is the defender with most goal/assist contributions in Europe? Even a rumour that Manchester United and even Real Madrid are looking at him.
I'm aware that it may have been quite difficult to tell, but my post wasn't entirely serious. However having said that, I also think it's risky to advocate for a defender only armed with his goals and assists.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Of course, to me they're not all that important, but I guess you have a point economically and culturally. And whatever other-ally. And in terms of population mass. Erm. :nervous:

I would actually say the 'Holland' area also covers Utrecht, and probably Zeeland as well. Those are not incidentally the areas that were most (virtually exclusively) involved in Dutch seafaring and everything that went with it, so it makes sense that anything Netherlandic was referred to as 'Holland'. Also, when the Netherlands first became its own country, its name was 'The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands' ('Low Lands'), which doesn't really roll off the tongue all that fast, so all the more reason to go with 'Holland' instead.

And I shouldn't really mind. Even my grandma, who probably felt more affinity for Flanders than Holland, would say 'Holland'. (I found out that she knew a few words of English at some point, and again, one of them was 'Holland'.) It's basically the most common name for the country in many languages - some might not even have a word for 'Netherlands'. It's a bit like complaining that Germany is called 'Saksa' in Finnish, which really only refers to a region in eastern Germany.

But then I'm emphatically not from that part of the country and will relentlessly continue my crusade until all foes are vanquished. Cause I'm petty that way. :wenger:

Also, to pretend I care about the actual thread topic: no way NL is winning the WC, but Van Gaal has a good hand with this team, so I expect a QF or even SF outcome.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm aware that it may have been quite difficult to tell, but my post wasn't entirely serious. However having said that, I also think it's risky to advocate for a defender only armed with his goals and assists.
If Van Gaal is playing three at the back, the defensive side won't be as important for a full back. See also Dumfries. Might be risky to have two of those simultaneously on the pitch, but having more players like Dumfries at least make sure there can always be one.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If Van Gaal is playing three at the back, the defensive side won't be as important for a full back. See also Dumfries. Might be risky to have two of those simultaneously on the pitch, but having more players like Dumfries at least make sure there can always be one.
It was a low effort joke, I'm not advocating for Frimpong to stay home and I could see how he'd fit in. However it's too easy to just point to his goals. Scoring goals is not necessarily natural for FBs/WBs at the least one should ask themselve why he's a goal scorer for his team and whether that would actually carry over to a different setup, when they bring it up a proof of his usefulness.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It was a low effort joke, I'm not advocating for Frimpong to stay home and I could see how he'd fit in. However it's too easy to just point to his goals. Scoring goals is not necessarily natural for FBs/WBs at the least one should ask themselve why he's a goal scorer for his team and whether that would actually carry over to a different setup, when they bring it up a proof of his usefulness.
My post was pretty low-effort as well actually, cause a quick check online would have told me that he plays RB, so he's there as back-up for or to compete with Dumfries. Makes sense to have a back-up with a similar style.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But then I'm emphatically not from that part of the country and will relentellsy continue my crusade until all foes are vanquished. Cause I'm petty that way. :wenger:
Well then you're fighting windmills, Olandese :devil:

Longlivekeano

If I’m LVG in Qatar…

——————-Pasveer——————

—-—-De Light—V Dijk—Ake—-

—Dumfries—-De Jong—-Malacia-

——Gravenberch—wijnaldum——

———memphis——gakpo————

think they can actually go very far with good squad depth with Taylor, simons, Bergius, Bergwin, de toon from the bench. The youngsters will all listen to the headmaster LVG.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If I’m LVG in Qatar…

——————-Pasveer——————

—-—-De Light—V Dijk—Ake—-

—Dumfries—-De Jong—-Malacia-

——Gravenberch—wijnaldum——

———memphis——gakpo————

think they can actually go very far with good squad depth with Taylor, simons, Bergius, Bergwin, de toon from the bench. The youngsters will all listen to the headmaster LVG.
Poor Wijnaldum, I feel the crotches he currently needs to walk will significantly reduce his mobility. I'd put Berghuis or Xavi Simons or even Davy Klaassen on for Gravenberch who has done feck all at Bayern and would also rather see Cillessen, Bijlow or Flekken on goal. Pasveer shouldn't be selected at all really. He did fine for a few weeks, but has since evened out to his standard average Dutch league keeper level.

Irwin99

I'm liking the history lesson in this thread. Was always confused about Holland/Netherlands and which the Dutch prefer.

I'm still sticking to my guns and saying that's a better squad than people are giving it credit for, at least by the names on show. Attack might be a bit light but defences often do well in these tournaments and those are some impressive defensive options.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I will from now on refer to Italy as Lazio in your presence. Ha. No I won't.
Send your complaints here https://accademiadellacrusca.it/

Besides that's wrong. The unification started in Piemonte and Sardinia, so if anything, you should call it Sardegna. I'm ok with that :D

btw we do call your country Paesi Bassi btw(well, nerds do. Cool people like me call it Olanda of course, which is the proper name of your country in Italian :devil: . We do not have any other word for dutch though :D)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Send your complaints here https://accademiadellacrusca.it/

Besides that's wrong. The unification started in Piemonte and Sardinia, so if anything, you should call it Sardegna. I'm ok with that :D

btw we do call your country Paesi Bassi btw(well, nerds do. Cool people like me call it Olanda of course, which is the proper name of your country in Italian :devil: . We do not have any other word for dutch though :D)
Well. I'll live. I guess.

Sigh.

Lee565

It's a shame de beek is not delivering for united as holland could have done with van der beek in the type of form he had pre joining ole's united.

They have a strong defence with the likes of botman struggling to get a look in despite his great performances for Newcastle this season.

BorisManUtd

Its his last dance. It's now or never. his last chance to cement him as one of the greats ?
Yeah, LvG is 71 so will probably retire after Netherlands job. They did very well last time he managed them at WC in 2014.

NoPace

He's really fast and looks quite skilled when I've seen him. If they're playing 3 at the back, which they seem to be, I'd bring him on as fresh legs for Dumfries, though when they're behind they'll want Dumfries goal threat in the air and he'll play all 90. He's a bit like Lamptey, but playing every week.

Vapor trail

Lot of the Dutch fans seem unhappy with his selections. No Gravenburch, Danjuma and Flekken relatively big calls.

Swordsman

in mandarin or cantonese its called 荷兰 literally means holland.

There is no mandarin or Cantonese version for netherlands.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

That attack is a bit shit, isn’t it? Gakpo is in fine form but still untested at the highest level. Their best attacker for the NT is... Depay.

Swordsman

Fun Fact: There is English/Cantonese pun on "Holland bank cheque".

which translate to you fecking prick. Basically use this when you're describing an absolute dickhead

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

Am I the only one that thinks they lack some first class attacking talent or any attacking talent or flair for that matter? I remember Netherlands being such a pleasure to watch when the likes of Ruud Van Nisterloy, Robin Van Persie, Bergkamp, Patrick Kluifert, Dirk Kuyt, Arien Robben , even the midfielders were considered a threat in front of goal, like Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Zenden, Sneijder or Cocu or even the 2nd tier like Pierre Van Hoijdonk, Jan Second Class Hunterlaar, Roy The Suarez Maakay

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Am I the only one that thinks they lack some first class attacking talent or any attacking talent or flair for that matter? I remember Netherlands being such a pleasure to watch when the likes of Ruud Van Nisterloy, Robin Van Persie, Bergkamp, Patrick Kluifert, Dirk Kuyt, Arien Robben , even the midfielders were considered a threat in front of goal, like Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Zenden, Sneijder or Cocu or even the 2nd tier like Pierre Van Hoijdonk, Jan Second Class Hunterlaar, Roy The Suarez Maakay
Makaay was European top scorer at one point and Huntelaar was pretty close to that as well. Not sure I'd call either 2nd tier.
Kuyt was always a bit shit, but managers loved him for his work ethic I guess.
But yeah I agree, we've been lacking in the forward department since the RvP + Robben era.

Having said that Bergwijn, Memphis, Gakpo, Dumfries, Luuk de Jong are capable of slaying giants. I'm more worried about our midfield. I only rate FDJ.

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

Makaay was European top scorer at one point and Huntelaar was pretty close to that as well. Not sure I'd call either 2nd tier.
Kuyt was always a bit shit, but managers loved him for his work ethic I guess.
But yeah I agree, we've been lacking in the forward department since the RvP + Robben era.

Having said that Bergwijn, Memphis, Gakpo, Dumfries, Luuk de Jong are capable of slaying giants. I'm more worried about our midfield. I only rate FDJ.
I used to think netherlands were always aiming for the top spot in every single world cup they entered in between 1998-2010....Same goes for the european championship between those years. You had magnificent keeper and strong defenders at the back, creative midfield and terrifying attack. It's such a shame and a bit disappointing you only managed to achieve 2nd, 3rd and 4th place in WC and twice ended up in semifinal defeat in EC.

Last edited: