Gaming Kingdom Come: Deliverance II

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Siorac

The original game's story ended so abruptly that it almost made me angry.

I'm curious how they'll approach the gameplay this time. In the first game, it made sense that Henry basically couldn't do anything at the start - after all, he was supposedly a blacksmith's somewhat lazy son. But if the sequel continues Henry's story - and they should, considering the aforementioned cliffhanger ending to the first game - then he should start out competent this time. After all, my Henry was cutting up entire teams of soldiers with ease by the end.

Kaos

The original game's story ended so abruptly that it almost made me angry.

I'm curious how they'll approach the gameplay this time. In the first game, it made sense that Henry basically couldn't do anything at the start - after all, he was supposedly a blacksmith's somewhat lazy son. But if the sequel continues Henry's story - and they should, considering the aforementioned cliffhanger ending to the first game - then he should start out competent this time. After all, my Henry was cutting up entire teams of soldiers with ease by the end.
Honestly I wish they'd go down the same route. I enjoyed Henry's evolution from being a useless zero to cutting up swarms of Cumans. I guess they could work that in the lore by having him suffer some form of serious injury before the events of the game, so he'd have to retrain himself to reach his previous peak.

AjaxNL

I thought the first KD was absolutely superb in terms of setting, worldbuilding, storyline. However I far from finished it as I really didn't like the combat and the game was buggy as hell. If they can improve on the latter two, this will be my game

Raven

Loved the first one, best game I've played in years, can't wait for the second one.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I thought the first KD was absolutely superb in terms of setting, worldbuilding, storyline. However I far from finished it as I really didn't like the combat and the game was buggy as hell. If they can improve on the latter two, this will be my game
Ditto. The clunkyness of it stopped me short of finishing it but it's also the only game I played where I felt like it could be a proper representation of medieval Europe. Just traveling through woods at night felt more intimidating than doing it in a rpg with actual monsters in it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
First game was so good. Loved how manual the game mechanics felt and the humour in it was very British - reminded me of early Fable games.

Kaos

Ditto. The clunkyness of it stopped me short of finishing it but it's also the only game I played where I felt like it could be a proper representation of medieval Europe. Just traveling through woods at night felt more intimidating than doing it in a rpg with actual monsters in it.
Yep, loved the authentic medieval setting, made a refreshing change of pace from fantasy RPGs where you'd fireball a group if imps and simply chug potions to get you out of a pinch. Coming across a bandit camp in KCD was genuinely terrifying, especially early game where you could barely walk with two feet nevermind swing a sword.

AjaxNL

The reveal video looks beyond epic. This has the potential to be everything I want in a videogame

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Really the first game should be everything I ever wanted. Maybe I should give it another go at some stage. The combat just never clicked for me and it felt so unbelievably janky. It felt like they went for too much realism and not enough fun factor. For anyone that kept playing it, does the combat improve with time or is it just a “get good” situation. If so I don’t think I ever will “get good” enough.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Really the first game should be everything I ever wanted. Maybe I should give it another go at some stage. The combat just never clicked for me and it felt so unbelievably janky. It felt like they went for too much realism and not enough fun factor. For anyone that kept playing it, does the combat improve with time or is it just a “get good” situation. If so I don’t think I ever will “get good” enough.
It’s a get good situation to an extent, the controlling and aiming mechanics are very “manual” but to be honest it’s ages since I played it so can’t be completely certain, I think as you level up improving things like strength/skill(?) the mechanics become a bit more forgiving and it’s less like a child trying something for the first time. A bit like the skyrim lock mechanics, the sweet spot gets a bit larger but the mechanic doesn’t change.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s a get good situation to an extent, the controlling and aiming mechanics are very “manual” but to be honest it’s ages since I played it so can’t be completely certain, I think as you level up improving things like strength/skill(?) the mechanics become a bit more forgiving and it’s less like a child trying something for the first time. A bit like the skyrim lock mechanics, the sweet spot gets a bit larger but the mechanic doesn’t change.
It's pretty much this. A steep learning curve but once you have got used to playing with it + Henry gets more skilled it becomes far easier. I preferred playing it on PC to console though by far.

Siorac

It's pretty much this. A steep learning curve but once you have got used to playing with it + Henry gets more skilled it becomes far easier. I preferred playing it on PC to console though by far.
Yeah I think this is the big one. I tried with a controller but it was an unpleasant experience; mouse and keyboard was superior, by far.

(also, lockpicking on PC was pretty much impossible with a controller)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I must give the first one another go. I remember playing it not long after launch and it was a buggy, sloppy piece of shit. I guess it improved a lot.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
My only concern with the trailer is that it doesn't seem like the graphics have improved a ton over the original but as long as the mechanics and UI have improved that won't matter as much.

Kaos

My only concern with the trailer is that it doesn't seem like the graphics have improved a ton over the original but as long as the mechanics and UI have improved that won't matter as much.
I mean the first game was notoriously taxing on even highly specced PCs. So I'm not surprised they've kept it modest with the graphical improvements. Would much rather they focus on gameplay and performance optimisations.

Abraxas

Excellent.

This was such a brilliantly inventive and interesting title.

A little bit of refinement and it has 10/10 potential.

The Hilton

This is great news. The first game was spectacular, one of the most immersive games I've ever played, I loved how it forced you to improve your skills as well as Henry's, especially combat. Very excited for the new one, a few quality of life changes here and there would be nice, but I really hope they don't try to make it too easily accessible (dumbing it down, so to speak), as that'll be throwing away what made the first one so brilliant.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I must give the first one another go. I remember playing it not long after launch and it was a buggy, sloppy piece of shit. I guess it improved a lot.
It’s not a smooth and easy experience in any way. It is still janky, cumbersome, slow and tedious (not buggy anymore I think?) but it’s also charming, immersive, realistic and in the end, for me, a really good time.

Skill Up put it best back when he did those review one liner titles - an analog experience in the digital age (or thereabouts). That’s exactly what KCD is, it simply is not made for the modern gamer as it doesn’t give you of the quality of life features you’d expect from a modern title but its core strengths are extremely strong. If the sequel can make it a bit more seamless and improve on the combat / writing then we could have something great.