Klopps Liverpool Vs Peps Barcelona

Zlatattack

Who'd win?

I think Peps Barcelona were the best club side in the world, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi - incredible. I think it's the best side he ever created.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Silly thread. That Barca team was the best unit I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Klopp's Liverpool have never even won a League title. Ridiculous argument.

Irrational.

I don't think it's as clear cut as people think. Pep's Barca played exactly the way Klopp likes his opponents to play, evidenced by them hammering a record breaking, PL winning, Pep coached City side side earlier this season. Klopp has Pep's number for sure. It would be a tremendous game mind.

spiriticon

Pep's peak Barca would smash the living bayjaysus out of Liverpool.

Barcelona's front 6 were all amongst the best to ever play in their respective positions.

Does anybody really think Wijnaldum, Henderson and Fabinho would get anywhere near Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets in that midfield? Robertson and TAA up against Henry and Messi down the flanks?

norm87cro

That Barca wasn't unbeatable. We just didn't have the tools to beat them in both those finals (we surley missed Fletcher back in 09). They would be favorites against this current Liverpool team but like a 55 45 favorite. The way Dippers play wouldn't suit Barca and I could see a few chances created through Klopp's relentless press. That being said Iniesta could probably handle the pressure.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Barcelona's front 6 were all amongst the best to ever play in their respective positions.

Does anybody really think Wijnaldum, Henderson and Fabinho would get anywhere near Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets in that midfield? Robertson and TAA up against Henry and Messi down the flanks?
This!
The great Barca team would have declared at HT

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Football evolvs, even in 10 years time. The way opponents defended Pep's Barca is completely different to Klopp's Liverpool, athletically.. Xavi and Iniesta would be getting stomped in their ankles and the Liverpool midfield would not let them turn around like in those times. Teams back then just werent equipped to press. Even if they had the midfield to press, the strikers were guys like Drogba or Mario Gomez who couldn't run. Or defenders were great classical towers, near their box were kings, but slow when going to midfield to press. Just my two cents

RedDevilRoshi

Weird thread. This tie would not even be close.

Pep’s Barca team would comfortably win. One of the greatest sides of all time.

OleBoiii

Pep's Barca would destroy Klopp's Liverpool 9 times out of 10. The difference in quality if just too great.

There was no true counter to that Barca team. You could only park the bus and pray. Barca weren't unbeatable of course, but Klopp's Liverpool beating them would basically be a one-off.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jaysus, is that even a question...
Obvious that Klopp and his band of other worldly beings play football on a different scale to anything that has gone before.
They really should be heralded as the Gods that they are.
Peps Barca, not even close.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
People here talk about Pep's Barca as if it was a team composed of aliens that never lost a game. They're the best team I've ever seen but they weren't unbeatable, they finished 9 points behind Mou's Madrid in 2012. This Liverpool team would give them loads of problems for sure.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
People here talk about Pep's Barca as if it was a team composed of aliens that never lost a game. They're the best team I've ever seen but they weren't unbeatable, they finished 9 points behind Mou's Madrid in 2012. This Liverpool team would give them loads of problems for sure.
That's no problem as one of SAF's teams would be better than both of them.

That Barca wasn't unbeatable. We just didn't have the tools to beat them in both those finals (we surley missed Fletcher back in 09). They would be favorites against this current Liverpool team but like a 55 45 favorite. The way Dippers play wouldn't suit Barca and I could see a few chances created through Klopp's relentless press. That being said Iniesta could probably handle the pressure.
If by tools you mean Pele and Maradona, i might agree with you.

Teams didn't press Barcelona because they couldn't. The midfield 3 (4 when Messi came inside) could play it around with quick, one touch passes all day long, and would always swarm to win it back within a couple of touches of losing it. Pressing them was never a way to beat them, that's what Spanish teams always tried to do and it frequently ended in cricket scores.

The only chance Liverpool might have is breaking quickly down the relatively weak flanks into their defence.

OleBoiii

they finished 9 points behind Mou's Madrid in 2012.
A tad bit unfair, seeing as their peak was 2009-2011. But if you wanna play that game: Barca 2012 crushes Liverpool 2018 :smirk:

This Liverpool team would give them loads of problems for sure.
How? By playing a video of Suarez and Kuyt having sex on loop in their dressing room?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: :lol: at this thread

A terrible Barcelona should have knocked out this Livepool team.

iHicksy

Wasn't actually possible to relentlessly press that Barca team. That's part of the reason why they were so good. Xavi and Ineista could keep a ball against any team by themselves. Then add in Busq and Messi and it was keep ball from back to front. Liverpool would be gassed after 45mins of trying to press those guys. That Barca team was only really vulnerable when teams parked all 11 men behind the ball and attempted to score from 1 or 2 perfect counter attacks. Liverpool wouldn't stand a chance imo. (Getting pretty bored of people making out this Liverpool team is even that special tbh. We've seen far better United and City teams in the past).

OleBoiii

Barca's midfield gets a lot of praise, and for good reason seeing as it's the best ever. But their defense and attack was also out of this world. They were excellent at winning the ball back quickly. As for their attack: well, United 09 had probably the best (club football)defense in the last 30 years or so. Way better than Klopp's current defense. They still couldn't do anything about Barca's attackers. Whenever Rio talks about that game it looks like he's getting Nam flashbacks...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think it's as clear cut as people think. Pep's Barca played exactly the way Klopp likes his opponents to play, evidenced by them hammering a record breaking, PL winning, Pep coached City side side earlier this season. Klopp has Pep's number for sure. It would be a tremendous game mind.
I mean, over one match United 08 can lose to Portsmouth. But in general that Barcelona team was a class above. Comfortably the best team I've seen

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We honestly wouldn't. Sure we'd target their softer backline with, ahem, accurate high velocity distance kickballs, but ultimately our midfield would be torn apart like a papermache toy in rain. With peak Messi doing the rest VvD and Alisson would not look as great as they are.

Skills

Snitch
Would be a good match actually. I think Liverpool's energy and pressing could cause them problems, but at the same time it could also cause Liverpool to get obliterated. It's a high risk strategy when you've got a team with prime Messi, Iniesta & Xavi's dribbling, passing & general ball retention.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What a strange thread! This Liverpool team are not all that great, not even close to the greatest Premier League sides yet let alone one of the best club sides ever.

Here’s a better question, why is it that so many people don’t seem to be unable to contextualise things? Its clear that this Liverpool team is good in a period of poor elite teams.

Withnail

Pep's City is a lot frailer than that Barca side.

They were on another level and I don't think Liverpool are anywhere close to it.

It would have to be a one-off smash and grab for them to come out on top.

evil_geko

What is this thread? Even our side of 2008 would easily beat this Klopp's Liverpool, and that United easily lost to Pep's Barca. It is not even close.

Bloody hell people are overrating this Liverpool side beyond belief.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
A tad bit unfair, seeing as their peak was 2009-2011. But if you wanna play that game: Barca 2012 crushes Liverpool 2018 :smirk:

How? By playing a video of Suarez and Kuyt having sex on loop in their dressing room?
:lol:

Honestly that might actually work. I'd argue the Inter first leg in 2010 or the Madrid cup final in 2011 would be how to do it though.

Still, Barcelona are obviously better but Liverpool could cause them problems exactly the same way plenty of teams did cause them problems. A not so great United team making the 2011 final thanks to a good draw and getting demolished when Barca were at their very peak is clouding people's judgement here to think the gap was always that big between them and the rest when it obviously wasn't.

Madrid weren't that great at the time and they still pushed them during those years. Pep was 4 years at Barca, in that time Madrid only had 7 less points than Barca.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In a hypothetical final I imagine Barcelona would win 6 or 7 times out of 10, with a couple going to penalties and Liverpool winning 1 or 2. I don't think Liverpool's midfield would be able to get much of the ball and their defence would be under some serious pressure. That said, Liverpool's counter-attacking and ability to compress the game - because of the pace in their defence and energy in midfield - would present proper challenges for Barcelona.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Football evolvs, even in 10 years time. The way opponents defended Pep's Barca is completely different to Klopp's Liverpool, athletically.. Xavi and Iniesta would be getting stomped in their ankles and the Liverpool midfield would not let them turn around like in those times. Teams back then just werent equipped to press. Even if they had the midfield to press, the strikers were guys like Drogba or Mario Gomez who couldn't run. Or defenders were great classical towers, near their box were kings, but slow when going to midfield to press. Just my two cents
You think a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho would stop a midfield of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets at their peak? By stomping their ankles (something countless players they outclassed tried to do) and pressing them (something countless teams they annihilated tried to do)? Hmmm.

Unless the Liverpool midfielders literally break their opponents' legs, the absolutely outrageous gulf in class would far outweigh the benefit of Liverpool being a bit better at something that Barcelona team regularly breezed through. Imo, of course.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Barcelona were superior. The technical ability in that team all over was outstanding. They could pass the ball around you all day and then open you up in an instant with fantastic movement and passing. Klopp's Liverpool are good but if you watch them it's almost always win ball, long ball to front three and let them do the job.

Nickelodeon

Ridiculous thread. Liverpool have played really well this season but they will just be league winners (Corona might have something to say on that as well). Just like Leicester or Conte's Chelsea, albeit with a better points tally.

To compare them with one of the best teams in history in way too premature.