Kobbie Mainoo: Play like you have to score and don't hold it back. Your max potential. Release it please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyScout78

His name is Kobbie Mainoo. As a United fan. This player gives me hopes. I think he has everything a central midfield player shall has. Not only passing ability. But ability to make good run forward with the ball, in top speed and control. And deliver the pass when he has too and at the right moment.

I just discovered and know him for first time yesterday. When i was searching for Wayne Rooney's son clip. Kai Rooney. When i saw Kobbie Mainoo in the video too.

If the next Manchester United academy player to become a really important player for United firs team in the future. I think and believe the chance, at this moment is highest with Kobbie Mainoo.

Some of his abilities and reasons for that:
- top drive, engine and determination with the ball
- can handle aggresive pressure
- a player with a really self confidence

So if he keeps working really hard, enjoy the football, have right focus and has his feets on the ground when he play and get a chance to train with the first team. Staying humble when you achieve success and great things on your football career. I think with those factors and his natural development. Training football everyday. At academy to one of the biggest club in the world. 100 % dedicate to football. It will naturally lead to further on that path.

Now. Visual description of him. I am really impress. I think he get everything i demad as a really good central midfield player. As complete as you can get. Not only top passing ability. Both ability to run with the ball forward and pass opponent players too. He has it both.

United is in really need for a really good and consist central midfield player. Maybe the answer in the a few years time might be Kobbie Mainoo. He gives me hope. As a United fan. That he will become one of a key and important player. To lift United back to the top in the future.
At this moment and at his age. 17 and born in 2005. I am really impressed of his ability and level so far. All basic skill. All from passing, dribbling and finish/end product skill. Give me hopes.

NZT-One

The hypetrain is ready to leave the station... Lets see who will be burned until then, I guess it is Garner this year and Iqbal or/and Garnacho next year. Maybe Hanson is in with a shout as well.

The guy is 17. lets see how he does against older opposition, stronger opposition. I'd leave him in peace, the best we can do for his development is doing the right things and that certainly means, he shouldn't be put on some sort of fast track to the first team.

wangyu

I’m sorry but I stopped getting hyped for our academy players. Every season I read here about x or y will surely make it to the first team but then it never happens. Laird is the latest of that bunch. Those that do make it are never the big touted names like McTominay and Rashford and we know by now they aren’t all that great.

I think it is fair to say our youth teams aren’t all that when needing to make the step up.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’m sorry but I stopped getting hyped for our academy players. Every season I read here about x or y will surely make it to the first team but then it never happens. Laird is the latest of that bunch. Those that do make it are never the big touted names like McTominay and Rashford and we know by now they aren’t all that great.

I think it is fair to say our youth teams aren’t all that when needing to make the step up.
While most academy players end up not making it so it is worth taking in performances at this level through that understanding, Rashford did hit a high level and Greenwood was probably one of the premier talents of his age group in world football.

dutchred

I agree about Kobie, and Gore is just as good. Without injuries, the 2 will be our future midfield

wangyu

While most academy players end up not making it so it is worth taking in performances at this level through that understanding, Rashford did hit a high level and Greenwood was probably one of the premier talents of his age group in world football.
I heard Rashford was not one of the bigger talents but I’m probably wrong I don’t follow it all that much. Greenwood didn’t impress me much during his stint in the first team. No awareness, no dribble, he could hit the target for sure but he wasn’t very clinical. The same could be said for Rashford but he does have some flashes of brilliance every now and then. ‘Arcus for a brief while sometimes unstoppable.
But lets consider both players a success, it really is not enough for the investment that is made into the academy. In the end most players leave on a free.

Maybe many are good enough but there simply isn’t enough backing for them to make it. If there is one thing utd should have learned is that it is possible to win the league with kids. While we’re having trouble buying for fair prices why don’t we start from scratch with hungry self made players? It’s been 9 years now, sponsors still jump to work with us, the stadium is still packed I’m sure it would be beneficial instead of spending 150+ million every window on players that perhaps aren’t better than what we have in the academy.

I know this post is contradictory. I am the personification of man utd, clueless but I care a lot

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
There has been an endless stream of brilliant players in our Academy, but for some reason, there haven't been a really big impact player since '92. Ravel Morrison looked brilliant, but everyone knows what happened to him. Rashford was probably third in the pecking order for the kids, got his break through injury to Wilson and Keane but has not (yet) fulfilled his potential. Perhaps we should give some of them an extended run instead of buying over priced average 'foreigners' but our fans are too impatient. Garnacho, Mainoo and others show promise . I hope they do develop. Nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing our kids break through.

SemirTuce10

Supports
Velež
The one who impressed me the most last 4 years is Hanibal, I'm so excited about him and got big hopes for him as i follow his growth for years now.

TheReligion

Abusive
His name is Kobbie Mainoo. As a United fan. This player gives me hopes. I think he has everything a central midfield player shall has. Not only passing ability. But ability to make good run forward with the ball, in top speed and control. And deliver the pass when he has too and at the right moment.

I just discovered and know him for first time yesterday. When i was searching for Wayne Rooney's son clip. Kai Rooney. When i saw Kobbie Mainoo in the video too.

If the next Manchester United academy player to become a really important player for United firs team in the future. I think and believe the chance, at this moment is highest with Kobbie Mainoo.

Some of his abilities and reasons for that:
- top drive, engine and determination with the ball
- can handle aggresive pressure
- a player with a really self confidence

So if he keeps working really hard, enjoy the football, have right focus and has his feets on the ground when he play and get a chance to train with the first team. Staying humble when you achieve success and great things on your football career. I think with those factors and his natural development. Training football everyday. At academy to one of the biggest club in the world. 100 % dedicate to football. It will naturally lead to further on that path.

Now. Visual description of him. I am really impress. I think he get everything i demad as a really good central midfield player. As complete as you can get. Not only top passing ability. Both ability to run with the ball forward and pass opponent players too. He has it both.

United is in really need for a really good and consist central midfield player. Maybe the answer in the a few years time might be Kobbie Mainoo. He gives me hope. As a United fan. That he will become one of a key and important player. To lift United back to the top in the future.
At this moment and at his age. 17 and born in 2005. I am really impressed of his ability and level so far. All basic skill. All from passing, dribbling and finish/end product skill. Give me hopes.
He’s an excellent prospect I agree. He looks far more mature than 17 and the next few years will be key to his development.

He’s very well rounded though and I have high hopes.

He’s also from the Manchester area so won’t be leaving the club any time soon!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mainoo, Gore, Hannibal, Iqbal, Hansen etc are all excellent players in their age group and its been a long time since I've seen a technical level so high in our young central midfielders. All of the aforementioned youngsters are also players who are encouraged to get on the ball and express themselves, where their touch, technique and vision on the ball is there for all to see.

It'll be interesting to see how they develop in the coming seasons but I've never been more hopeful regards the academy producing a midfield metronome from the players we've currently got in the 17 to 19 years range.

Last edited:

WirralRed

Saw him live in the FA youth cup final at Old Trafford, he was brilliant. My Spurs supporting mate came with me and was raving about him as well. Let’s hope he kicks on this year.

Krits

Problem is. You can have all these technically gifted players. But if the first team doesn’t play in that style, it’s pointless. There first needs to be a clear identity of how we want to play in all ranks. Only then can these youth players slot in once they make the step up. If the first team plays In a completely different way to how they have trained, it’s almost pointless.

WirralRed

Problem is. You can have all these technically gifted players. But if the first team doesn’t play in that style, it’s pointless. There first needs to be a clear identity of how we want to play in all ranks. Only then can these youth players slot in once they make the step up. If the first team plays In a completely different way to how they have trained, it’s almost pointless.
Wouldn’t say it’s pointless, good, talented players adapt.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is one big plus in recent years with our academy. We've put an emphasis on press resistant central midfielders. Galbraith, Mejbri and Iqbal now, with Mainoo and Gore in the gen below.

We still produce static lightweight ones in Garner, Savage, and the recently departed Levitt and Svidersky, but the signs are promising.

We need to make the same progress with centre backs now. I watch ours and think"they're alright on the ball" and then I see Baars at Feyenoord, and Gooijer and Aertssen at Ajax, and see we are still way behind.

In Rainbows

I agree about Kobie, and Gore is just as good. Without injuries, the 2 will be our future midfield
I think what OP and you need to understand is that the step up to the PL level is a bit random in regards to our youth players. We've had many talented players who have all failed to make the step up. It's hard to be a player considered as a guarantee.

For example, I'm confident in Hannibal (see one example of his performances below). But is he a sure thing? Not at present.

Part of it is luck. You need to be healthy, and need to be given a chance by the manager at the right time to get your break. Just look at Rashford and McTominay. Rashford was the star attacker in the u18s, but compared to past star attackers was not better than them. He easily could have not been given a chance by LVG if Keane wasn't injured. Keane at that point was not the star prospect as he wasn't the same as prior to the injury, but he was the more likely player to be given a chance as we needed a forward. Rashford took his chance.

McTominay was completely average for the youth teams. But he was given a chance and Mourinho was persistent to bleed him into the side.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Saw him live in the FA youth cup final at Old Trafford, he was brilliant. My Spurs supporting mate came with me and was raving about him as well. Let’s hope he kicks on this year.
It’s funny you say that as the final was probably his worst performance during the whole FAYC run yet his quality still shone through!

I’m really looking forward to seeing him play with the U21’s this season to see if he can dominate matches in the same way he’s able to in the 18’s. He’s a player that looks like he could have come out of La Masia and IF he can keep developing could be a very, very good player!

Trequarista10

He looks good, I would remain cautious because it appears he's more physically developed than his opponents at his age. Some of his dribbles he actually loses control but manages to bulldoze his way through opponents who literally bounce off him.

If he can do the same against adults in a few years he'll be a heck of a player, but that's a big if.

Pughnichi

The one who impressed me the most last 4 years is Hanibal, I'm so excited about him and got big hopes for him as i follow his growth for years now.
It’s the hope that gets you. I was like this with Pogba. Lived nxt to Alti fc and so went to watch all reserve matches. Almost obsessed about him making the jump. He was nxt level. Then he left. Devastated. Angry.

I too have high hopes for Hanibal but I don’t want to rinse and repeat all the frustrations I had with Pogba.

We’re still playing McFred for crying out loud

WirralRed

It’s funny you say that as the final was probably his worst performance during the whole FAYC run yet his quality still shone through!

I’m really looking forward to seeing him play with the U21’s this season to see if he can dominate matches in the same way he’s able to in the 18’s. He’s a player that looks like he could have come out of La Masia and IF he can keep developing could be a very, very good player!
That’s encouraging, it’s the only game of that run I managed to watch. There’s a lot of talent in that age group.

Judas

Open to offers
The days of me getting overly excited or expectant of our academy are long gone. So much hope and promise, but until they play in senior football it can often mean very little, so many just can't make that crucial step up.

In Rainbows

The days of me getting overly excited or expectant of our academy are long gone. So much hope and promise, but until they play in senior football it can often mean very little, so many just can't make that crucial step up.
I don't think you should expect (as you stated), nor do I think that is the goal of the academy. The academy is there to provide potential chances to produce a good player for the first team. Think of it as every star player providing a chance that they make the step up, while the lower performance or lower talented players provide far less probable chances to provide the first team a first team player.

Chelsea have had good success at producing talents recently, but they've also won so much at youth level which demonstrates the idea that they had far more likelihood of producing good players through attrition. A far more complete side provides more chances to hopefully gain a good first division level player than a side with a star talent, but with more average/mediocre talents littered throughout the side.

OpenIntrovert

Seems more of a attacking midfielder, though he has shown glimpses of tracking back to tackle. So far the only academy players I would classify as central midfielders are James Garner and Charlie Savage. The rest like Zidane, Mejbri etc are more focused on dribbling and creativity which are attacking midfielder traits.

Thiagoal

Seems more of a attacking midfielder, though he has shown glimpses of tracking back to tackle. So far the only academy players I would classify as central midfielders are James Garner and Charlie Savage. The rest like Zidane, Mejbri etc are more focused on dribbling and creativity which are attacking midfielder traits.
He’s not an attacking midfielder! Far more of a box to box player that will play as a 6 or 8

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I think what OP and you need to understand is that the step up to the PL level is a bit random in regards to our youth players. We've had many talented players who have all failed to make the step up. It's hard to be a player considered as a guarantee.

For example, I'm confident in Hannibal (see one example of his performances below). But is he a sure thing? Not at present.

Part of it is luck. You need to be healthy, and need to be given a chance by the manager at the right time to get your break. Just look at Rashford and McTominay. Rashford was the star attacker in the u18s, but compared to past star attackers was not better than them. He easily could have not been given a chance by LVG if Keane wasn't injured. Keane at that point was not the star prospect as he wasn't the same as prior to the injury, but he was the more likely player to be given a chance as we needed a forward. Rashford took his chance.

McTominay was completely average for the youth teams. But he was given a chance and Mourinho was persistent to bleed him into the side.
I'd argue that Wilson was ahead of Keane.

GueRed

Promising talent who has come off a great season.

Hopefully he continues to develop.

If he does and has the right mentality he has the potential to be a good player imo

Boondog

Ball skills for days. Thanks for putting that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.