Kobe Bryant RIP

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Make a separate thread to discuss it. I agree with you that people should be remembered for all that they do but have a little bit of empathy for the mans family straight after his death. Despite what he may or may not have done, he still leaves behind a wife and kids who are grieving. If you want to discuss it then we aren’t stopping you, just do so in a separate thread.
I don't think his family are reading this thread.

What's the logic behind creating another thread?

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's good to see that the other people involved finally get a mention. It's been all about Kobe and his daughter, found it quite disrespectful.
Furthermore the condolences all over the web seem a bit pretended, but maybe that's just me. It has always been like this when a celebrity dies these days...

Ban

It's good to see that the other people involved finally get a mention. It's been all about Kobe and his daughter, found it quite disrespectful.
Furthermore the condolences all over the web seem a bit pretended, but maybe that's just me. It has always been like this when a celebrity dies these days...
From basketball people I don't think any condolence is a pretended one...

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
How is talking about the allegations talking shit? The allegations are real, the sex happened and Kobe even apologised to the victim. And when would one be allowed to talk about it?
If people want to mourn his death, that’s fine. But you can’t expect to do it online without being confronted with the negative aspects of his life.
Go do it in another thread where people who wants to discuss can go in then.

Seriously, nobody needs to have such talks in a thread about his death.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Go do it in another thread where people who wants to discuss can go in then.

Seriously, nobody needs to have such talks in a thread about his death.
Apparently some people seem to think differently about this.
I don’t see how a thread about a persons death is the wrong place to discuss that persons life. And this incident is a part of his life.

SirAF

Ageist
Apparently some people seem to think differently about this.
I don’t see how a thread about a persons death is the wrong place to discuss that persons life. And this incident is a part of his life.
Most people would say it is in poor taste, but by all means knock yourself out.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Most people would say it is in poor taste, but by all means knock yourself out.
But how so? I really and genuinely struggle with understanding this. How is it in bad taste to discuss these allegations? They are real, the encounter happened and he apologised. Why is this something that shouldn’t be discussed?
I understand that people say it’s bad taste. But I honestly don’t understand why. A case could be made, that ignoring or actively trying to suppress this discussion is much worse and a much bigger sign of bad taste. There are a lot of victims of sexual abuse out there, to whom it must feel pretty shitty to see the broad public ignoring this issue. I’d assume seeing him called a hero or legend everywhere, without seeing a mention of this incident, must be quite upsetting.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
But how so? I really and genuinely struggle with understanding this. How is it in bad taste to discuss these allegations? They are real, the encounter happened and he apologised. Why is this something that shouldn’t be discussed?
I understand that people say it’s bad taste. But I honestly don’t understand why. A case could be made, that ignoring or actively trying to suppress this discussion is much worse and a much bigger sign of bad taste. There are a lot of victims of sexual abuse out there, to whom it must feel pretty shitty to see the broad public ignoring this issue. I’d assume seeing him called a hero or legend everywhere, without seeing a mention of this incident, must be quite upsetting.
A time and a place surely?

Ban

Who said it shouldnt be discussed?

cyberman

Because you cant have a proper discussion with folks who are grieving.
Its like posters on are are devoid of people skills

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Jesus, some truly pedantic people in here looking for an argument. He was a symbol, people are grieving. Show some respect and decency.

Like going to a funeral of some jerk and start correcting people when they compliment him and grief his death.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
But then it does all stem from the edgelord himself, Eboue. Chucks a grenade in the sits back to watch, gotta admire it in a basic detroit bitch kind of way.
feck off pal. I didnt "sit back". I wanted to discuss the issue but I was banned because people like yourself would rather a whole thread of "rip, he was good at basketball" and "wow cant believe it, he was one of the best basketball players".

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Because you cant have a proper discussion with folks who are grieving.
Its like posters on are are devoid of people skills
I‘m autistic and struggle with many social concepts. Which is why I emphasised that I’m genuinely asking why this is so problematic. And if this is so problematic on here, why are Threads like those on Thatcher for example, full of jokes and happy people, even right after they died? Why is that ok and this isn’t? I genuinely don’t understand.

SirAF

Ageist
The man has not been cold for 24 hours yet along with his 13 year old daughter and you wonder why it's in bad taste to use this accident as a trigger point for starting to dissect a criminal case/allegation from the early 2000s?

I have no dog in this hunt, but come on.

Edit: Just read your last post, so that would explain it to me. Sorry, I just can't make it any clearer :confused: It's inappropriate, that simple.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
So from early reports, it appears that the helicopter was in good maintenance and the pilot was experienced and VFR rated (meaning he was cleared to fly in low visibility situations), hope this makes others think twice about flying in poor conditions to prevent this type of tragedy from happening in the future.

As for discussing Kobe's rape allegations, while I could understand why some might deem it's in poor taste, I'm not seeing an issue with it. He stopped being a "hero" for me when the allegations came out in 2003 and I'm no longer a child. That being said, people can change and I think it says more about the adults who view him as a hero rather than Kobe himself. I find this need to idolize celebrities cringeworthy.

For me, Kobe was one of the greatest sporting, cultural icons of my generation. Being able to follow his career and life from beginning to end in such close proximity really hits home, and makes me sad as I question my own mortality. He was a great athlete who provided me hours of entertainment and pleasure as a Lakers fan but at the end of the day, is a flawed human just like the rest of us. Having said all that, it's a terrible tragedy as 9 lives were taken far too early.

Last edited:

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Jesus, some truly pedantic people in here looking for an argument. He was a symbol, people are grieving. Show some respect and decency.

Like going to a funeral of some jerk and start correcting people when they compliment him and grief his death.
He was a symbol that rapists routinely get away with their crimes because it's so hard to prove and rich and famous people can use their million dollar lawyers to further destroy the life of a teenager and spread rumours about her sex life. Let's show some respect and decency to the victim in that case and all the rape victims and their families who have had to watch this monster be lionized by the public and the media.

It's not at all like going to a funeral because the deceaseds family and friends aren't there. We are on a manchester united website, not at kobes backyard.

cyberman

I‘m autistic and struggle with many social concepts. Which is why I emphasised that I’m genuinely asking why this is so problematic. And if this is so problematic on here, why are Threads like those on Thatcher for example, full of jokes and happy people, even right after they died? Why is that ok and this isn’t? I genuinely don’t understand.
Oh right. My post comes off as being a dick and I apologise

Classical Mechanic

It's seen as disrespectful to the dead and their family. This guy is very admired it seems. If he was less popular you'd be able to go in with two feet though.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I see that the shitlord crusade is still going on, joke's on you @Raoul for the unbanning.

PLEASE DISCUSS THINGS THAT AREN'T RELEVANT TO THE PERSON'S DEATH WITH ME!!!! PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POSTS!!!!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Look, go do it in a seperate thread so people like me can ignore it.

This is a thread about his death and stop derailing it.

Conor

Except it's not, because you have absolutely zero personal relationship with the man, and this is a thread on a football forum. Imagine how the victim of that incident feels seeing the whole world glorify him? They're(his fans) trying to make him the new NBA logo like.

TrueRed79

Just saw the crash video. I'm no aviation expert but it looked like the rear rotor packed in and sent it into a spiral that was in no way recoverable by the pilot. An awful death. RIP

Infra-red

Just saw the crash video. I'm no aviation expert but it looked like the rear rotor packed in and sent it into a spiral that was in no way recoverable by the pilot. An awful death. RIP
I haven't seen the video you refer to, but that sounds reminiscent of the Leicester crash. These things are bloody dangerous.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Fake video mate. Where the plane crashed on that video was no where near where Kobe crash wash. Also in that video it was sunny out while yesterday it was foggy and grim.

poleglass red

Such a sad situation for all involved. I don't follow basketball but I was well aware of how exceptional he was at his sport. Makes you appreciate your own family at times like this even more.