Kobe Bryant RIP

lawliet354

I still can't believe it happened, it just feels surreal. My favorite basketball player of all time, and one of my favorite athlete ever as well. His work ethic is something that every people need to know and duplicate in their life.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's not that he did or didn't comment but just to basically rip Obama's tweet is just lazy at best and lacking sincerity and insulting at worst. Come on, how hard can it be? Unless he really doesn't give a feck. But then again Kobe called him out and he always bears a grudge, so it makes sense, I guess.
He ripped Obama’s tweet? As in copied it?

justboy68

Not even a basketball fan but this news is shocking . Kobe really transcended the sport. So tragic for all involved. RIP.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Still tearing up when I look at all the tributes or just the words "Kobe Bryant died". Surreal is the only way I can describe it.

Even at the office people that have never even watched an NBA game are talking about it. He transcended the sport.

Eleven-Eighteen

Devastating news. Wasn't even that big into basketball but Kobe is easily one of the GOATs of any athletic endeavour. Even the way he carried himself off the court was just straight Mamba.

He was already on his way to doing great non-sporting things in his "second career"...

He will be sorely missed

RIP, legend

Ban

I've never been much into basketball, always tracked it from the outside and it's a shock to me.
Can only imagine how it is to people who are basketball fans and the ones who played with him and against him and were his friends, not to mention the family.

Lots of comments here from people who say they practically grew up watching his games, he was a part of their life and some even got into basketball cause of him.
He was a basketball giant, one of the best ever and symbolized a whole basketball era.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Still tearing up when I look at all the tributes or just the words "Kobe Bryant died". Surreal is the only way I can describe it.

Even at the office people that have never even watched an NBA game are talking about it. He transcended the sport.
Same here. Still feels surreal to me, like a hoax. We've seen so many of those fake news before that it just doesn't sound right for it to be true... Will take a few days for me to actually start believing that I guess. The whole night of NBA games last night felt just... different.

InfiniteBoredom

I’m not interested at all in basketball and this news still came of as quite a shock to me. Such a shame.

The fact that his daughter was there too made it ten times worse. At least he’s lived a fuller life than most, must be pure anguish those last few seconds.

ChrisNelson

Embarrassing montage from BBC on the news, half the clips were of Lebron James. The newsreader was stumbling over her words as well, I expect they'll face some backlash for that.
Good to see our Licence Fee is being well utilised.

Still can't believe the news waking up this morning.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jesus Christ his family where informed by the fecking media before anyone had told them? What a sad fecking species we are.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Watching his last game for the Lakers, his family including Gianna sitting in the front row... Devastating.

kotha

RIP Kobe.. Still can't believe that it has happened..

I have got into countless debates about him being the GOAT and all with my friend who is his biggest fan, but can't deny that basketball and nba wouldn't have been what they were to me in my childhood if it wasn't for him..

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've never been much into basketball, always tracked it from the outside and it's a shock to me.
Can only imagine how it is to people who are basketball fans and the ones who played with him and against him and were his friends, not to mention the family.

Lots of comments here from people who say they practically grew up watching his games, he was a part of their life and some even got into basketball cause of him.
He was a basketball giant, one of the best ever and symbolized a whole basketball era.
Well said Ban.
I was shocked when I heard the news last night as I have never much been into basketball but even I can appreciate how much of a giant of the sport Kobe was. So sad the fact his daughter was with him too. RIP to all who perished in the crash.

Probably the closest comparison for a football fan is to wake up to the news that Beckham died, only Kobe was a significantly better player on the field than Beckham was.

It's just a massive shame, not much else I can say about it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
TMZ are shit but I'm guessing they have an emergency services source who tipped them off immediately for a payday.

They're the real scum.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Still in shock by the news, just doesn’t feel real. He was a legend of the game but also had an impact beyond basketball as can be seen by the tributes all over the world.

He was the main reason I started following basketball & supporting the Lakers. I don’t get to watch NBA as much now, but I remember staying up until stupid hours in the morning just to watch him play. Watching the playoff runs for the back-to-back title wins is still one of my favourite sporting memories (still can’t believe he passed the ball to Ron Artest who made the 3!!)

Can’t imagine how it was for players to play the games last night after finding out the news. The Lakers-Clippers game tomorrow is going to be really emotional.

InfiniteBoredom

What are people's thoughts on the rape he was accused of? Seems to have been largely forgotten about, even though the victim's testimony is pretty horrific. I only read about it yesterday, is it contentious, or do people simply not care because he was good at basketball?
I don’t think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss this. You can open a separate thread on that (overall legacy, for instance).

Bojan11

What are people's thoughts on the rape he was accused of? Seems to have been largely forgotten about, even though the victim's testimony is pretty horrific. I only read about it yesterday, is it contentious, or do people simply not care because he was good at basketball?
Create your own thread and ask @Eboue.

Mike Smalling

Somehow only just heard about it this morning. Just terrible. I have never really followed basketball that closely, but for some reason Kobe was always my favourite player. Such a great athlete and personality!

RIP

Last edited:

Zlatattack

Very sad. I don't know the first thing about basketball, but it's sad to hear of someone losing their life like this.

SirAF

Ageist
Like many others have said, I don’t follow the NBA but everyone knows what an icon Kobe Bryant was. My condolences to their family :(

AkaAkuma

One in however many who have lost their lives today, may they all rest in peace and the loved ones find unknown strength in the face of it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is hardly a thread for it...

SaboTaj

I started watching basketball as a 11 year old kid in India because of Kobe, and supported the Lakers because of him. This does not make sense to me, no sense at all.

My emotions have been all over the place throughout last night and today. He had one of the greatest NBA careers ever, and his post-retirement life could’ve seen him accomplish even greater things.

It looked like he was having the best time of his life post-retirement, appearing courtside to games with his whole family, making great content, teaching kids the game that he had dedicated his life to and also showing us fans a side of him that we’d never really seen. He also wholeheartedly believed that his daughter Gianna would become a basketball legend herself. Losing both of them so soon and the 7 others on board enroute to a girls basketball game is just unfair.

For me Kobe was the greatest of all time across all sports. Kobe gave a lot of people hope, and hope never dies. Kobe’s legacy will be remembered for generations. My prayers go out to his family, his friends and his close ones.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

LeBron James is like a star struck kid still when talking about. Shows you the mans greatness.

Raw

Just saw that the other victims were a baseball coach named John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa. They left behind 2 children. So sad, can't imagine how they must be feeling :(

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just keep thinking about his wife and kids left behind. The baby, growing up without a dad and one sister less than she should have.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You know you've changed the world for the better and had an incredibly positive impact on other people when so many are so upset by your death. Never watched a game in my life but so saddened by the news. Hes a legend and not just of the sport. He'll be remembered for a long time.