Music Kraftwerk

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Since Florian Schneider-Esleben has sadly died it's fitting to have a Kraftwerk thread.
In my opinion one of the most influential bands in history.
Also a good excuse to post this always awesome clip from their 1981 tour, Florian is enjoying himself immensely :)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I was very late to Kraftwerk (and electronic music in general), it's only within the last couple of years I've properly appreciated them. Videos of their live performances always look incredible.

I picked up the 3-D The Catalogue on bluray recently, the sound is amazing.

Very sad news about Florian.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
They are to electronic music what The Beatles were to pop music.

RIP Florian.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
They are to electronic music what The Beatles were to pop music.

RIP Florian.
Definitely. That nucleus of brilliant German acts - Kraftwerk, Can, Neu, Faust etc - still sound unbelievably fresh. It regularly amazes me that their work was so close to the end of The Beatles. They sound about 15+ years ahead of their time.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Definitely. That nucleus of brilliant German acts - Kraftwerk, Can, Neu, Faust etc - still sound unbelievably fresh. It regularly amazes me that their work was so close to the end of The Beatles. They sound about 15+ years ahead of their time.
Indeed, here are early Kraftwerk live in 1970. Same year as the Beatles quit.

Hard to underestimate their influence on electronic music. TEE is as good as anything you'll ever hear in the genre.

Unfortunately they've become such that you've got to be properly into electronic music to know them, despite their music touching almost everything since. Aphex Twin is another like that.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Always been a fan, lots of my favourite music growing up was born from Kraftwerk but I finally got to see Kraftwerk 3D at the Bluedot festival last year, everything sounded so crisp and fresh, almost like it was written yesterday. It was a stunning show.

Sad news.

Eckers99

Hard to underestimate their influence on electronic music. TEE is as good as anything you'll ever hear in the genre.

Unfortunately they've become such that you've got to be properly into electronic music to know them, despite their music touching almost everything since. Aphex Twin is another like that.
Eh? They're hardly niche. The Model is one of the most well known songs of all time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ridiculously influential and on multiple genres too. Rock, dance, synth-pop, hip hop, techno, ambient, post-punk, indie, art-pop, etc.

BarcaSpurs

Had the pleasure of seeing them perform live at an ampitheatre in Pula a couple of summers back. Really thankful I got the opportunity before it was too late.

vidic blood & sand

Bought Man Machine back in the day from the local Our Price. Played it to death!
'We are the Robots' blew me away. I think Kraftwerk were working on a new album in 1983, but had to abandon it with only 'Tour de France' completed. The album was eventually released in 1986 called 'Electric Cafe'.
The pirate stations in London played a remix of the telephone call called "house phone". Still have the vinyl 12" from 1987.

arthurka

This has been one of the soundtracks of my life including David Bowie, Depeche Mode and more but a mainstay since my early teens. I've seen them many times and they surrounded my daily life in 2000 when I lived in Hannover and worked at the Expo 2000. Met them after their concert in Iceland 2004 through a friend of mine who is an artist in Germany and it is safe to say that Florian was a living and breathing artwork in real life. Last time I saw them was at the Iceland Airwaves in 2013 then without him and it's safe to say it's not the same without him. I will miss his influence on music and would like to thank him for the soundtrack of my life.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Feck, I really love this. From the blissful, beautiful melody to the moment three and a bit minutes in where it sounds like you're listening to techno being invented, it's absolute gold.