Kurt Zouma / 180 hours community service + banned from keeping cats for 5 years

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Being in a position to be able to 'get tired' of hearing about racism is pretty privileged. You can say that, in your opinion, this specific incident and the outrage behind it is not related to the race of the player without just fobbing off the notion of racism being ingrained in literally every aspect of society to some degree.
Spot on.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Can we not give this chap a training course just like that goalkeeper who put up the nazi salute?

Classical Mechanic

What’s to be investigated - he grubber kicked the cat to the corner of the kitchen, black and white nothing further to look into.

The police aren’t doing anything, nor should they.

Hes been punished enough, maybe a suspension from the FA but that isn’t happening, obviously.
They would be investigating to see if there are signs of historic abuse, further injuries to the cats etc. In theory he could be prosecuted from the evidence the RSPCA find.

sepulturite

Tell us you’re not very bright and a bit racist without telling us you’re not very bright and a bit racist…
So are you telling me just because people think that race isn't involved at all in this incident, that means they are racist? That's an absolutely ridiculous take and I'm getting sick of reading that in here.

Zouma kicked a defenseless animal and is rightly being roasted for it, that's it. It has nothing to do with his skin colour.

MichaelRed

While we are here . Is horse racing considered animal abuse ? Is a jockey smacking a horse with a whip to go faster considered ok in the UK ? Or is this like when a poster brought up veganism.
It used to get some pushback but modern whips are lightweight & made of foam. They're designed to make a noise when striking the horse that the horse then responds to, rather than to actually cause pain to the horse. However, I'm sure that privately when the horses are being trained they're no doubt taught to associate that noise with some form of pain, I could be wrong but I'm still cynical about the people that train these horses.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They would be investigating to see if there are signs of historic abuse, further injuries to the cats etc. In theory he could be prosecuted from the evidence the RSPCA find.
To be honest, I realised that after I posted.

Its a fair point, and hopefully that isn’t the case.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What’s to be investigated - he grubber kicked the cat to the corner of the kitchen, black and white nothing further to look into.

Hes been punished enough, maybe a suspension from the FA but that isn’t happening, obviously.
Indeed, the Police have nothing to investigate. The incident was caught on camera and the man himself has already confessed and apologised. He’s bang to rights.

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
Just my two cents:

The over-reaction is astounding. What did he actually do? It was a bit of deft skill, breaking the cats fall and sending it across the floor with a well-timed sweep. It's not like he volleyed its head off or punched it off a wall. The cat wasn't even injured. Yes, it doesn't look good and he comes across as an idiot, but come on! Get a grip.

The 'racism' discussion that has entered the debate is a red herring. Antonio was asked a loaded question nobody else was asking or thinking, and take into account it was coming from click-bait media (Lads bible ffs). Nobody is questioning their dubious motives as that's their only purpose, to create click-bait media which they can sell adverts on top of. Everyone engaging with the racism debate is being taken for a ride.

The most disturbing aspect of this nonsense is the social approval / disapproval aspect to it (think 'cancel culture'), which is the final goal and purpose of social media, where 'good' citizens do the bidding of faceless tech billionaires busy creating a Black Mirror style dystopia for everyone.

Could be considered controversial!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You may be ‘tired’ of race being brought up, but I guarantee you that ‘tired’ is but a drop in the ocean of the exhaustion that BAME folk feel on the subject.
You sure mate? I mean, imagine the exhaustion one must feel upon being subjected to ad nauseum discussions of racism on the internet. Like someone graciously offered earlier, one would rather be racially abused in real life...

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm trying really hard to figure out what in the feck this has to do with race, and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. :lol:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are we slowly getting round to the silly argument that if someone thinks it's ok to watch a horse race, then they have no right to be upset about a puppy being punched in the face?
I guess the issue is more about the idea that maybe we need to re-evaluate how we treat other animals.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Surprised people are getting so much uproar and debate about Antonio's response.

Was quite clearly a guy who didn't want to throw his teammate under the bus on national TV getting out of answering the question, nothing deeper.

SuperiorXI

Because things don’t happen in a vacuum - NOTHING is perceived independently if you think about it.

Issues like animals rights and / or racism are systemic - they exist throughout all of Western society, and thus, when you have an issue of a cat being mistreated by a famous black man - who is regularly racially abused - and the handling of said issue by a media that is famously institutionally racist, it will be difficult (and erroneous) to discuss as though these issues are in a vacuum.

You may be ‘tired’ of race being brought up, but I guarantee you that ‘tired’ is but a drop in the ocean of the exhaustion that BAME folk feel on the subject.
Hang on I didn't even mention race, I was more leaning towards the Vegan arguments... not sure what it has to do with race either. Man abuses cat and is pulled through the coals by social media, are you surprised? I doubt it would matter whether he was white or black, remember that woman who put a cat in the bin? She got demolished.

BlueHaze

Being in a position to be able to 'get tired' of hearing about racism is pretty privileged. You can say that, in your opinion, this specific incident and the outrage behind it is not related to the race of the player without just fobbing off the notion of racism being ingrained in literally every aspect of society to some degree.
In a football forum. This is not the only crap thread I'm talking about I've seen trump and biden names mentioned in threads about upcoming managers so stop acting like you don't know this is a general problem with this forum and not exclusive to this thread. Footie discussion threads being derailed with these topics. Also hilarious you mention privelige when no clue what race I am myself. Either way pointless discussion.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just my two cents:

The over-reaction is astounding. What did he actually do? It was a bit of deft skill, breaking the cats fall and sending it across the floor with a well-timed sweep. It's not like he volleyed its head off or punched it off a wall. The cat wasn't even injured. Yes, it doesn't look good and he comes across as an idiot, but come on! Get a grip.

The 'racism' discussion that has entered the debate is a red herring. Antonio was asked a loaded question nobody else was asking or thinking, and take into account it was coming from click-bait media (Lads bible ffs). Nobody is questioning their dubious motives as that's their only purpose, to create click-bait media which they can sell adverts on top of. Everyone engaging with the racism debate is being taken for a ride.

The most disturbing aspect of this nonsense is the social approval / disapproval aspect to it (think 'cancel culture'), which is the final goal and purpose of social media, where 'good' citizens do the bidding of faceless tech billionaires busy creating a Black Mirror style dystopia for everyone.

Could be considered controversial!
User name fits.

Anustart89

Hang on I didn't even mention race, I was more leaning towards the Vegan arguments... not sure what it has to do with race either. Man abuses cat and is pulled through the coals by social media, are you surprised? I doubt it would matter whether he was white or black, remember that woman who put a cat in the bin? She got demolished.
Yes but she was only sent death threats and had people calling for the death penalty because she was black, just like Kurt Zouma. Because as I’ve learned from this thread, we care more about cats than black people. And that’s why racism is relevant and Zouma did nothing wrong! But wait, that woman was white… so I guess that means that we have to put women below cats too, regardless of race.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So are you telling me just because people think that race isn't involved at all in this incident, that means they are racist? That's an absolutely ridiculous take and I'm getting sick of reading that in here.

Zouma kicked a defenseless animal and is rightly being roasted for it, that's it. It has nothing to do with his skin colour.
I don't think anybody thinks race is involved in this incident (if we want to call it that), we can pretty much all agree a white person getting caught on video doing the same would be just as under pressure. I think people acting as if Antonio has zero point in what he said of the response this got compared to racism in football is where people can make the point that there's some (blissful) ignorance on a valid point he is making.

There's only so much you can say about animal abuse, so people asking to stick to the subject....what subject? You're not going to get very far in a debate on animal abuse, are you? It's wrong and don't do it, Antonio addressed that. Racism is a much more complicated subject obviously, and while people can understandably dislike addressing it, or feel like it's overly used, that notion comes from a position where you're not really affected by it beyond inconvenience that it gets into your escape of sports. However, for someone like Antonio, or any black athletes with family and relatives that deal with it on a consistent basis, you will use any opportunity you can to bring it up, and seeing the level of vitriol aimed at Zouma over animal abuse and some of the lax response racism has gotten is obviously, clearly, most definitely going to get this kind of counter-point from a black athlete if you ask them about it, fair or not (and I think it's fair). He didn't get on his soapbox to make this point, they asked him a question and he answered them with something that I thought was far more interesting than just saying how bad animal abuse is and that he condemns Zouma's actions (which he did as well).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can't it just be a case of him hitting a cat, which we all think is terrible and West Ham or whoever just try to find the appropriate punishment?

hobbers

seeing the level of vitriol aimed at Zouma over animal abuse and some of the lax response racism has gotten is obviously, clearly, most definitely going to get this kind of counter-point from an athlete if you ask them about it, fair or not (and I think it's fair).
Except racism hasn't had a lax response compared to this. Or at least not the racism that Antonio was referring to - footballers being racist or the racial abuse of footballers on social media.

Cavani got a 3 game ban for an innocuous insta comment because of cultural ignorance (on the FA's part not his). Other players who were racially abusive got 8-10 game bans. Zouma isn't getting any FA punishment despite bringing a mountain of disrepute onto football and the premier league by extension. Why?

BlueHaze

I don't think anybody thinks race is involved in this incident (if we want to call it that), we can pretty much all agree a white person getting caught on video doing the same would be just as under pressure. I think people acting as if Antonio has zero point in what he said of the response this got compared to racism in football is where people can make the point that there's some (blissful) ignorance on a valid point he is making.

There's only so much you can say about animal abuse, so people asking to stick to the subject....what subject? You're not going to get very far in a debate on animal abuse, are you? It's wrong and don't do it, Antonio addressed that. Racism is a much more complicated subject obviously, and while people can understandably dislike addressing it, or feel like it's overly used, that notion comes from a position where you're not really affected by it beyond inconvenience that it gets into your escape of sports. However, for someone like Antonio, or any black athletes with family and relatives that deal with it on a consistent basis, you will use any opportunity you can to bring it up, and seeing the level of vitriol aimed at Zouma over animal abuse and some of the lax response racism has gotten is obviously, clearly, most definitely going to get this kind of counter-point from a black athlete if you ask them about it, fair or not (and I think it's fair). He didn't get on his soapbox to make this point, they asked him a question and he answered them with something that I thought was far more interesting than just saying how bad animal abuse is and that he condemns Zouma's actions (which he did as well).
This was a fairly rational reply except that bs you wrote in bold. What people do on this forum, actually not this forum, on most forums is that they make daft assumptions based on absolutely nothing. How do you and others know what the person behind screen has been affected by? I could go on a tirade about the racism I was subjected through when growing up like for example when my brother and I as kids were chased by neo nazis carrying knives.

But as soon as you just ask people to please not bring these topics into every thread you hear the most deluded things like for example not being able to comprehend that racism is an issue just because you don't want to see it brought up everywhere. It's a sensitive subject. And it is completely delusional to make assumptions when you've no idea whom you are talking to or what they have gone through.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Police have left a ‘criminal investigation’ to the RSPCA? Right. And the RSPCA are still conducting their investigation, yet have removed the cats already?

The Police clearly don’t care, and might just about put out a couple of tweets due to pressure from the UK Twitter government.

That’s simply not true.

The RSPCA can bring about a prosecution without the police. It would be common practice for them to be the lead agency with something like this and lack of involvement of the police is irrelevant.

BlueHaze

We can say for certain if this was for example a Starbucks employe he would be fired on the spot. But once again just because it's a celebrity they get away with nothing. 2 weeks fine is piss in the river for someone that rich anyway. Multiple football players getting away with millions of dollars in tax fraud without serving a day in prison.

It's a big problem.

macheda14

We can say for certain if this was for example a Starbucks employe he would be fired on the spot. But once again just because it's a celebrity they get away with nothing. 2 weeks fine is piss in the river for someone that rich anyway. Multiple football players getting away with millions of dollars in tax fraud without serving a day in prison.

It's a big problem.
This is actually a crazy thought. Normal people get fired for similar. I mean normal people routinely get fired for racism. It’s crazy that players only get a certain amount of matches ban. It should be grounds for dismissal and baked into any players contract - if you are found guilty for racist abuse you get your contract terminated. But I guess these players are multi-million pound assets so it serves the club better to wait it out and have them continue playing. I guess this is the weird thing with footballers and their contracts, they aren’t just employees they are assets to the brand. Most employees can be fired and replaced within a month, a footballer is fired and the team have to BUY another one whilst also losing out on any fee they could recoup.

Perhaps the best option is to suspend and then sell at the next window.

pauldyson1uk

Calls for him to be sacked are a fecking joke.
You think so, I don't think your employer would none to happy for one of their employees to be plastered all over the news for being a lowlife animal abuser.
Seen people sacked for les, the abuse shown towards the cat is signs of a bigger problem.
The only joke here is your post.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This was a fairly rational reply except that bs you wrote in bold. What people do on this forum, actually not this forum, on most forums is that they make daft assumptions based on absolutely nothing. How do you and others know what the person behind screen has been affected by? I could go on a tirade about the racism I was subjected through when growing up like for example when my brother and I as kids were chased by neo nazis carrying knives.

But as soon as you just ask people to please not bring these topics into every thread you hear the most deluded things like for example not being able to comprehend that racism is an issue just because you don't want to see it brought up everywhere. It's a sensitive subject. And it is completely delusional to make assumptions when you've no idea whom you are talking to or what they have gone through.
It's not an assumption, those people absolutely exist in every community, my comment simply wasn't aimed at you. To say it's based on absolutely nothing when you can read how anytime those discussions go is...comical.

Conor

It's a big problem.
That has literally nothing to do with it, he's an asset that cost them millions of pounds, and is worth millions of pounds. If Starbucks paid 25m for Tina the barista, they would not be sacking her for doing something like this.

FreddieTheReddie

Are we slowly getting round to the silly argument that if someone thinks it's ok to watch a horse race, then they have no right to be upset about a puppy being punched in the face?
Once a vegan told me if I'm not vegan I shouldn't complain about human rights issues... So yes, probably.

BlueHaze

That has literally nothing to do with it, he's an asset that cost them millions of pounds, and is worth millions of pounds. If Starbucks paid 25m for Tina the barista, they would not be sacking her for doing something like this.
Not just about him. It's a broader issue. They are being treated differently because they are rich celebrities or sportsmen. It is a problem, simple as. They even get charged for serial rape and get away without serving a days imprisonment.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Hes been punished enough
, maybe a suspension from the FA but that isn’t happening, obviously.
Would you say the same thing if he kicked his child across the kitchen like he did to the cat?

Animals are living creatures and should not be treated as a lower level than humans just because they have an inferior brain capacity. I wouldn't treat you or anyone on this site as a lower level person just because you have an inferior brain capacity to Richard Dawkins.

A persons pet should be given just as much love as a persons child.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Once a vegan told me if I'm not vegan I shouldn't complain about human rights issues... So yes, probably.
That's like saying we have no right to complain about any issue in the UK if we aren't actively trying to prevent famine on the other side of the world.

I find it ridiculous when people say 'you have no right to say this or that' just because there are worse issues going on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Spot on, man.
Look at timeline of this thread. Topic is animal abuse, first big as this one on this forum for ages. First day, people who care for animals and animal abuse were on this thread wanting to talk about that social problem. Then, look at last 20 pages. Who is left on this thread and what topic is? Racism and people who want to talk about racism. Last 20 pages animal abuse topic just died.

Society today has dozen and dozen major problems (sexism, racism, powerty, hunger, child abuse, domestic abuse etc...) and you can't cover them all in every topic. That doesn't mean that you don't "care" for all of them. For everything there is place and time

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See, that is what we’re trying to change. For me there’s no difference if you kick a child, a woman or a cat, you are a scumbag anyway.
Well there is a difference but I guess we aren't supposed to say that anymore?

Sleeping with your brother's wife isn't criminal.
Pretty fecked up though right? Giggs is such a snake.... One of my favourite players.