Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still don't think he'll play #9 at Madrid as why would he be content with that when he was unhappy about playing in that position in Paris?

Both him and Vini are objectively at their best on the left.

I think it will cause unnecessary issues unless the Brazilian leaves.

They should be after a real #9 and probably a new manager, if they want to be the best team in the world. However that would still probably not be enough to be better than Pep's City, so I get it, and they can afford to be patient. By this time next year, they'll have probably added Mbappé, Yoro, Davies and possibly Alonso takes over from Ancelotti. That will then have them up there, and until then they'll take their chances again next year, as Barcelona and Atletico aren't that great, and they're always capable of beating City in the CL over two legs with that pragmatic approach and the craziest chance conversion rates, like they've been doing for the last 3 years in the competition.
He wasn't unhappy with the position. He was unhappy with being used as a poacher.

Rojofiam

He wasn't unhappy with the position. He was unhappy with being used as a poacher.
Why did PSG sell neymar, a left winger, and sign two number 9s in Kolo Muani and Ramos, then, if not to accomodate Mbappé in his best position?

And whether he's a poacher or an all-rounder #9, it doesn't matter, he's still better on the left.

JPRouve

Scout
Why did PSG sell neymar, a left winger, and sign two number 9s in Kolo Muani and Ramos, then, if not to accomodate Mbappé in his best position?

And whether he's a poacher or an all-rounder #9, it doesn't matter, he's still better on the left.
His prefered role is as one of the striker in a 442, like he did with Monaco. And while he could be better on the left, it's not his favored role and unlike what you said he doesn't have an issue with playing as a 9 on the contrary, it's his favored role when he has licence to roam which wasn't the case in the 343 established by Galtier even though he was scoring at a similar clip.

Now if we look at Real Madrid, their current setup in 4312 is one of the closest thing to what Mbappé is supposed to like. As a number 9 with everyone free to move around.

Rojofiam

His prefered role is as one of the striker in a 442, like he did with Monaco. And while he could be better on the left, it's not his favored role and unlike what you said he doesn't have an issue with playing as a 9 on the contrary, it's his favored role when he has licence to roam which wasn't the case in the 343 established by Galtier even though he was scoring at a similar clip.

Now if we look at Real Madrid, their current setup in 4312 is one of the closest thing to what Mbappé is supposed to like. As a number 9 with everyone free to move around.
I'd rather sign Gabriel Jesus, to be honest. Would suit them so well and they wanted him in the past. Or sign both and sell Vini, but doubt even Pérez has the cojones to sell Vini at this point

BorisManUtd

I think right now for the 6/7 midfield and attacking positions there are two levels.
The untouchables, who are not going to be on the bench: Mbappe, Vini, Bellingham, Valverde.
A second level of players who can be fundamental at certain times, replace the first line due to injuries but who can be benched without drama (inconsistency, hierarchy, age): Camavinga, Tchouameni, Kroos, Guler, "new signing", Alaba, Brahim.
I imagine that the role of one or the other may vary depending on the choices. Tchouameni as a centre-back, Camavinga as a false full-back, Bellingham to the middle etc.
Oh I see, thanks. Is it Mbappe as ST or right winger?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Bingo, if we look at how Rodrygo and Vinicius Junior are basically their strikers, he will take Rodrygo's place and he's obviously an upgrade. Feel sorry for Rodrygo, he's a great player and is unlucky to likely lose his position.

JPRouve

Scout
Bingo, if we look at how Rodrygo and Vinicius Junior are basically their strikers, he will take Rodrygo's place and he's obviously an upgrade. Feel sorry for Rodrygo, he's a great player and is unlucky to likely lose his position.
They can rotate and never have a weak front line, they can also all start in a fluid 433 against lesser teams.

RoyH1

They can rotate and never have a weak front line, they can also all start in a fluid 433 against lesser teams.
Someone is always injured at some point anyway. If media reports are true, the French authorities very much want Mbappé to play the Olympic Games so he might be long time coming before his first start

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
True and better to be part of a great team than just a starter, as Joselu showed in the week. Crazy that I think they have areas to improve after adding Mbappe...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Surely they’ll continue playing 4-3-1-2, with Camavinga,, Tchouameni, and Valverde being the 3, Bellingham the 1, and Vinicius and Mbappe the 2. It’s an absolutely brilliant team and suits Mbappe down to the ground. Rodryo and Endrick used in rotation. They also have the fluidity to go to 4-3-3 if they want.

With Kroos and Modric probably leaving, they’ll likely sign another midfielder, and knowing Madrid it’ll be another absolutely brilliant baller of a player.

This year Vini was injured plenty and at times Madrid looked stretched a little thin up front. They’ve solved that with Mbappe and Endrick. Joselu is 34.

And let this soak in……

Tchouameni….24
Camavinga……21
Valverde……25
Bellingham…….20
Vinicius…….23
Mbappe……25
Rodrygo…….23
Brahim……..24
Endrick…….17
Guler……..19
Militao…….26

The age profiles of their key players moving forwards is just ridiculously good.

They’ve got some older players in defence, Rudiger (31), who has been one of the best defenders in Europe this season, Alaba (31), Carvajal (32), but Madrid being Madrid, they’ll probably sign Yoro (18) - maybe the best young defensive talent in the world - and Davies (23) this summer. Plus another brilliant young midfielder, and I wouldn’t doubt a succession plan is in place for RB.

Just brilliant squad building. Helps that everyone wants to go there. But they also put themselves in that position to a large degree.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I genuinely think Madrid would be better off without him.

Ronaldo had a proven club record had won the CL and at the time Madrid was in a downturn with an abysmal CL record by their standards and a so so league record, he was the greatest thing that could have happened to them in terms of getting their mojo back and starting fresh with a new spine and it still took them 5 years to get there.

Mbappe lacks Ronaldo's pedigree, and madrid is in much better place than it was then, he'll be going to a squad full with proven winners who have just gone to another CL final while getting more than any of them plus the circus that he'll bring with himself, could see him mess up the dressing room.

Banana Republic

Almost everyone, pundits, journos and fans assume he’s heading for Madrid.
Probably 95% likely, however I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts on a sky blue shirt instead.
There’s already talk of Grealish being offloaded.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

RoyH1

I'm not a fan of Mbappe, but if his bonuses remain unpaid (if true) then I hope PSG get expelled from Europe for the next decade and relegated to the lowest tier possible in France, and get fleeced in court by Mbappe.
I don't see that happening. Qatar has the french government by the balls at the very highest levels and Al Khelafi is Ceferin's biggest supporter in UEFA in their fight against Pérez and the SuperLeague. No one there is moving a finger.

That said, I don't know how civil courts work in France. Maybe PSG's influence isn't as strong in that kind of setting and Mbappe can get some of his money paid that way.

The lesson to be learnt here is to sell well before a contract runs out. Al Khelafi's hubris and arrogance costing PSG dear.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yikes. This has to be investigated. The world cup being in Qatar played a big part in him staying at PSG, kid is being pressured by the country who owns his club and his own country to stay there? fecked up. No matter about how much money or fame he has, he's just a young guy

CtrlAltDeLigt

Mbappe to Real means Rodrygo becomes an impact sub.

They can’t sub Bellingham. His capability to score goals and press continuously means they would be mad to shift him from his advanced midfield role.

Don’t want this from a United perspective, only team I can think where he can fit and can be afforded is City, Grealish clearly doesn’t cut it and can be regarded as bad business for 100 million.

Mbappe to Real doesn’t really make sense on paper unless they can play him as a 9 who can also drop in and connect play like Benzema.

With Enderick also joining soon, would be an interesting summer at Madrid.

Carolina Red

Staff

Mbappe to Real doesn’t really make sense on paper unless they can play him as a 9 who can also drop in and connect play like Benzema.
I don’t think it’s a huge leap to see Madrid making a 10 league goals per season striker an impact sub to make room for arguably the current best striker in the world.

Kaos

Yikes. This has to be investigated. The world cup being in Qatar played a big part in him staying at PSG, kid is being pressured by the country who owns his club and his own country to stay there? fecked up. No matter about how much money or fame he has, he's just a young guy
I don't think its as sinister as being suggested, the man was paid the GDP of a small country to stay a few more seasons.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

They can’t sub Bellingham. His capability to score goals and press continuously means they would be mad to shift him from his advanced midfield role.

Don’t want this from a United perspective, only team I can think where he can fit and can be afforded is City, Grealish clearly doesn’t cut it and can be regarded as bad business for 100 million.

With Enderick also joining soon, would be an interesting summer at Madrid.
At times this season they were stretched thin up front with injuries. I could easily see Ancelotti sticking with his 4-3-1-2 formation with Valverde, Camavinga and Tchouameni as the 3, Bellingham behind the strikers, dropping into midfield off the ball and ghosting is as a false 9 on it, with Vinicius and Mbappe up front. Pretty ridiculous line up. They would have Rodrygo and Endrick for rotation.

I can also see them playing with a three at times, with Vinicius, Mbappe and Rodrygo up front, and Tchouameni, Valverde and Bellingham in midfield. Camavinga at left back, pushing into DM. They have a lot of options. But with the sheer volume of games they have, none of the players will struggle for game time. They’ll just be able to rotate better in the forward positions, and be more tactically flexible.

With Kroos retiring, and who knows what happening with Modric, I’d expect them to dip into the midfield market too. Where I am sure they will make an astute addition. Likewise, they’ll likely pick up at least one fullback. I think they could use reinforcements on both flanks, especially with Carvajal’s age.

They have some of the best squad planning in the business, so I expect them to make some good additions, on top of Mbappe, this summer, a golden rule of football is to always strengthen when you are strong. Fergie was a master at it, and Real have made it an art form,

InfiniteBoredom

And he could have said no
He got the fecking president of the country persuading him to stay, its easy for you or me to say just say no but that’s enormous pressure to be under.

Even if the decision was purely financially motivated, which it wasn’t, who can blame him for securing his future while still leaving his prime years open for a move? These athletes can reach rock bottom quickly if they make bad decisions, didn’t Mike Tyson blew through $300m in winnings over a decade or so?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And he could have said no
Just because it's a lot of money doesn't mean they aren't severely pressuring you in ways they shouldn't. You have Verrattis agent saying they blackmail players into staying, Mbappe comes out saying shit like this, and you have the president of your country and the president of the country that owns your club all seriously involved, it's beyond ridiculous.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just because it's a lot of money doesn't mean they aren't severely pressuring you in ways they shouldn't. You have Verrattis agent saying they blackmail players into staying, Mbappe comes out saying shit like this, and you have the president of your country and the president of the country that owns your club all seriously involved, it's beyond ridiculous.
Verratti was blackmailed by threatening to kick him off the squad until the end of his contract. Fairly standard stuff you see anywhere. His agent was a rank amateur who helped put him in that golden cage by having sign slightly improved contracts every year. Mbappé was out of contract, beyond offering him stupid money and getting Macron involved what kind of pressure could they excercise on him? Genuine question

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mbappe is so famous and important that he could have absolutely said no. What could Qatar have done? He decided to take the money and stay at PSG. That's perfectly fine, but I don't understand why he's now acting like he was a hostage.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if you’re going to get in bed with devil, you’re can’t get upset when he tries to ram it in whilst you’re trying to drift off.

dinostar77

Worlds worse kept secret. Ironically it's not like they need him. The need a focal point upfront to occupy both centre backs and give the team more options in what they can do with the ball in dangerous areas. Haaland would have been better overall for them.

I wonder how much Mbappe and Vinicus will get in each others way on the left wing/left inside half of the pitch.

Dr. StrangeHate

128 millions pounds signing bonus. That has to be the biggest. Neymar's was only 80 million (to his dad) in comparison if I remember correctly. Even Halaand's was 60 million (to his dad) if I remember correctly.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
128 millions pounds signing bonus. That has to be the biggest. Neymar's was only 80 million (to his dad) in comparison if I remember correctly. Even Halaand's was 60 million (to his dad) if I remember correctly.
I find it kind of amusing, because he's not breaking Real's salary structure, if you only look at the regular wages. I'm sure the other players and their agents will never find out about this nine-figure bonus...