Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

Ladron de redcafe

To be fair he didn't question whether he was dominant domestically, he questioned Mbappé's dominance outside of his domestic league. Which is actually worse because we are talking about a record setting player in the CL and Worl Cup.

The reality of Mbappé is fairly simple, he is on pace to break or match all the continental or domestic records. Currently only Haaland is likely to beat him for one record which is the all time CL goals but both are on unreal paces. Haaland current pace is 1 g+a every 59 minutes (35g and 4) while Mbappé averages 1 G+A every 77 minutes(40g and 22a), those figures are not normal.

PS: Haaland assists are from transfermarkt so they may include penalties won but it doesn't change the point.
He didn't dispute Mbappés world cup or international record because he would have looked stupid to do so. So he changed the argument and went on a rant about how many La ligas and premier leagues Mbappé has won. And how he hasn't seen that dominance. That was related to the domestic aspect because both of us agree that Mbappe excelled internationally.

JB7

To be fair he didn't question whether he was dominant domestically, he questioned Mbappé's dominance outside of his domestic league. Which is actually worse because we are talking about a record setting player in the CL and Worl Cup.

The reality of Mbappé is fairly simple, he is on pace to break or match all the continental or domestic records. Currently only Haaland is likely to beat him for one record which is the all time CL goals but both are on unreal paces. Haaland current pace is 1 g+a every 59 minutes (35g and 4) while Mbappé averages 1 G+A every 77 minutes(40g and 22a), those figures are not normal.

PS: Haaland assists are from transfermarkt so they may include penalties won but it doesn't change the point.
It’s not though, to be considered a “dominant” footballer, which was the specific word used, you need to win the trophies at the very top level. Football is a team game, of course, and Harry Kane is likely to end his career as the top PL goal scorer of all time but will he be referred to as a “dominant” striker if he doesn’t win the competition? I’m sure Mbappe will go to Real and win the Champions League in his career, but until he’s won it he’s not “dominant”.

No, you're right mate. The leagues and domestic cup trophies you listed have nothing to do with domestic football, at all.
The famously “domestic” cup trophies like the Champions League and the Club World Cup? Thanks for confirming you don’t know the meaning of the word. :wenger:

Trex

It’s not though, to be considered a “dominant” footballer, which was the specific word used, you need to win the trophies at the very top level. Football is a team game, of course, and Harry Kane is likely to end his career as the top PL goal scorer of all time but will he be referred to as a “dominant” striker if he doesn’t win the competition? I’m sure Mbappe will go to Real and win the Champions League in his career, but until he’s won it he’s not “dominant”.

The famously “domestic” cup trophies like the Champions League and the Club World Cup? Thanks for confirming you don’t know the meaning of the word. :wenger:
I thought this thread is suppose to be about Mbappe's transfer. Could you lot stop this fanboys dick measuring contest??

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Kane is absolutely considered a dominant player as was Ronaldo(the brazilian). Your idea of dominant is completely wrong especially when the reciprocal wouldn't work.

JB7

I thought this thread is suppose to be about Mbappe's transfer. Could you lot stop this fanboys dick measuring contest??
First time I’ve been referred to as a fanboy :lol:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So he is going to sit a season on the bench? Maybe he shouldn't have signed for a bloody joke of a club after all. But it's better he learnt it the hard way than never, I guess.
I am pretty sure that would be against the French labour law.

JB7

Kane is absolutely considered a dominant player as was Ronaldo(the brazilian). Your idea of dominant is completely wrong especially when the reciprocal wouldn't work.
That’s your opinion, for me to be considered a dominant footballer, they need to win multiple trophies at the highest level. Just like a football team cannot be dominant without winning trophies.

Baneofthegame

I'd say most PSG fans are on the fence, acknowledging that the club put itself in the situation but really bored of Mbappé antics pretty much every seasons. I'd say the majority of hardcore fans are done with him (might not be the case for more casual) and understand the club's decision. It's pretty much the same story every year since 2019.

What people sometimes don't understand though is that he polished his image since he's 15 to look like the champion type of player, driven only by performance, but he now refuses to go to Real Madrid so he can get a bigger paycheck for a season. I mean everybody knows most players love money but his PR was supposed to make him look a bit different. The fact that he's showing his true colors is really disappointing for a lot of people.

PSG is at the begining of a new cycle with Enrique and you pretty much waste an entire season of rebuilding with Mbappé in the team since he's 100% leaving in 2024 and transforms a team by his absence (because of his level of course, but also because of his wage).
Thanks for the info, I’m not sure how I feel about it from a footballing point of view, PSG are in a tough spot.

They can’t actually sell him unless the Saudis pay him a ludicrous amount of money for one season or they have the dilemma of paying him to sit on the bench.

JPRouve

Scout
That’s your opinion, for me to be considered a dominant footballer, they need to win multiple trophies at the highest level. Just like a football team cannot be dominant without winning trophies.
Which is fundamentally wrong because you are not judging the player. Anyone knows that the best performer during a competition isn't necessarily in the winning team, the most dominant individual isn't necessarily a member of the most dominant team either. As an example Ronaldo only has two La Liga which is the same amount as Koke but no one has ever even thought about the idea that Koke and Ronaldo have been as dominant at league level.

JB7

Which is fundamentally wrong because you are not judging the player. Anyone knows that the best performer during a competition isn't necessarily in the winning team, the most dominant individual isn't necessarily a member of the most dominant team either. As an example Ronaldo only has two La Liga which is the same amount as Koke but no one has ever even thought about the idea that Koke and Ronaldo have been as dominant at league level.
Yep I’m well aware but realistically the two go hand in hand. That’s why the best players sign for the best clubs, to win trophies and to dominate. But let’s leave it at that.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Balogun is one of the top scorers and he struggled in the Championship. Lacaeztte is second top scorer at 32 years old... i'd say its pretty easy.
Neymar's goal ratio hasn't really changed since moving to France and Messi didn't exactly set the league alight either. Granted he is a bit older now but he still did well at World Cup...better than ever in fact. Cavani looks around similar too. He came from Serie A...it should have been a lot easier right?

Point is you don't really see 40 goal a season over there...let alone 50, which some of you are making it out to be an easy achievement.

Ladron de redcafe

Yup. Its a ludicrous notion.

JPRouve

Scout
Yep I’m well aware but realistically the two go hand in hand. That’s why the best players sign for the best clubs, to win trophies and to dominate. But let’s leave it at that.
Realistically they don't which is why the best clubs are constantly signing new players that improve their teams or replace their former top players. Those players are targets for the best clubs because they are dominant players and happen to be dominant players for lesser teams which is why the best clubs can use money and the prospect of trophies as bait.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Thanks for the info, I’m not sure how I feel about it from a footballing point of view, PSG are in a tough spot.

They can’t actually sell him unless the Saudis pay him a ludicrous amount of money for one season or they have the dilemma of paying him to sit on the bench.
My feeling is that he'll leave this summmer for a reasonable fee (not a record breaking one). It's only a guess though considering how it's unfolding.

As for the footballing point of view, you can't replace Mbappé with a single player obviously, PSG will need to do smart decisions during the transfer window, and they're not good at it. But I think the team will eventually be better with two 35M players that it was with Mbappé if they're picked properly. Having him and Neymar at the same time was a very hard situation for any coach because Mbappé can't really play as a n°9. Without Mbpappé, you loose an amazing player but makes the life a the coach far easier when choosing his formation.

Obviously it would have been far easier to get rid of Neymar and keep Mbappé for years to put him on the left side but that wasn't on the table so there's no need to mention this hypothesis.

mshnsh

Apart from international football, where Mbappe is clearly better (due to playing for best international side), the rest you described there are not exactly true.

Regardless of goals, we can compare the rest of their performance stats at around same age:

Mbappe at age 24:
Games: 34 (L1) 8 (CL)
Avg rating: 7.80 (L1) 7.60 (CL)
Dribbling: 2.2 (L1) 2.1 (CL)
Key pass: 1.6 (L1) 1 (CL)
Motm: 7 (L1) 3 (CL)

Ronaldo at age 24:
Games: 29 (LL) 6 (CL)
Avg rating: 8.54 (LL) 8.57 (CL)
Dribbling: 3.1 (LL) 2.3 (CL)
Key pass: 2.6 (LL) 1.5 (CL)
Motm: 13 (LL) 4 (CL)

Every performance stats indicate Ronaldo was far better at age 24.
1. The ratings take into account goals scored. You used whoscored?

2. This was Mbappe's worst season so far. If you compare with the previous 2 seasons, it gives you a much better picture.

3. The dribbling stats look dubious to me. Source?

Anyway, my point is simply that there is alot of exaggeration of what Ronaldo did in his prime outside of goals. He was very good but not at an unattainable level. Ofcourse, the numbers in terms of goals was extraordinary.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

2. This was Mbappe's worst season so far. If you compare with the previous 2 seasons, it gives you a much better picture.

Anyway, my point is simply that there is alot of exaggeration of what Ronaldo did in his prime outside of goals. He was very good but not at an unattainable level. Ofcourse, the numbers in terms of goals was extraordinary.
Nothing dubious about it, Ronaldo did quite a bit of dribbling in his first season at RM.

You are right that there is exaggeration when it comes to Ronaldo, but he was still, at one point, a very good all round player, in addition to a great goalscorer.

marktan

These figures are mad
The figures are also very likely fake. There's been all sorts of nonsense been spouted r.e. the salaries and fees Saudi clubs are offering, and often it turns out the real amount is way lower what the journos are reporting.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

1. Mbappe scored 36 goals (L1+CL) at age 24 whereas Ronaldo scored 33 goals (LL+CL) at age 24 (he was injured for months). So by your logic Mbappe should have higher rating. But obviously it’s not the case here. Ronaldo beat Mbappe by huge margin there.

2. I can only find the earliest performance stats from Ronaldo at age 24, so that’s the only season we could make the comparison. Maybe next season we could compare them at 25. You’ve said Ronaldo was not better than Mbappe at any age so that’s good enough to address your claim.

3. Source from whoscored. Same website which has highest rating and dribbling stats for Messi. So it isn’t bias towards Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Baneofthegame

My feeling is that he'll leave this summmer for a reasonable fee (not a record breaking one). It's only a guess though considering how it's unfolding.

As for the footballing point of view, you can't replace Mbappé with a single player obviously, PSG will need to do smart decisions during the transfer window, and they're not good at it. But I think the team will eventually be better with two 35M players that it was with Mbappé if they're picked properly. Having him and Neymar at the same time was a very hard situation for any coach because Mbappé can't really play as a n°9. Without Mbpappé, you loose an amazing player but makes the life a the coach far easier when choosing his formation.

Obviously it would have been far easier to get rid of Neymar and keep Mbappé for years to put him on the left side but that wasn't on the table so there's no need to mention this hypothesis.
Agreed, hopefully it comes to a resolution, I feel like they are in desperate need to reinforce the midfield, seems to have been stop gaps for many years while they buy forwards.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So you're just going to pretend that the fact that there was a winter World Cup in which Mbappe won the golden boot and scored a hattrick in the final had no impact at all on the club season? Mbappe also scored more goals in less games which is a pretty important part of rating the performance of an attacker.
I did literally say Mbappe was better for his country in my first sentence where you are quoting from. But over the season Ronaldo at the same age was far better at every measurable performance stats there, in addressing to the poster who’ve said Mbappe was better.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
I am pretty sure that would be against the French labour law.
PSG did it for Rabiot the whole year and he went for free at the end of the contract

As long as PSG let Mbappe train every day it’s ok with french laws

But Mbappe is not Rabiot. If he stay no matter what, I think PSG will play him this season

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Sky sports saying, Mbappe will to sit out the season and not play. Sounds nuts, but happens in america sports i.e. nfl, baseball, basketball more frequently than you think.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-transfer-next-summer-amid-contract-standoff
If this was to be true, now, why would RM want a player that is more obsessed with his bonuses and wages, rather than competing at the highest level?

This is not a player that has the attitude of playing here, but Perez won't let it go.

We could have had Kane signed up by now, and looking for new LB and RB, instead we will waste another year on this.

city-puma

The whole episode is funny and made by psg itself since the time they bought him from Monaco. They also inflated the whole transfer market since them. Now, who cares?

dinostar77

what a waste of a year of his career.
Oh for sure. Its a who blinks first game. Whether PSG will be able to sell him to chelsea (sky sports said chelsea are the PL club in for him), remains to be seen.

I think madrid will stump up a fee of some kind to make this happen this summer.

Zed is not dead

PSG did it for Rabiot the whole year and he went for free at the end of the contract

As long as PSG let Mbappe train every day it’s ok with french laws

But Mbappe is not Rabiot. If he stay no matter what, I think PSG will play him this season
They did it to Ben Arfa as well, and he recently won his case against PSG. The club got condemned for psychological harassment and paid something like 100k to Ben Arfa

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
If this was to be true, now, why would RM want a player that is more obsessed with his bonuses and wages, rather than competing at the highest level?

This is not a player that has the attitude of playing here, but Perez won't let it go.

We could have had Kane signed up by now, and looking for new LB and RB, instead we will waste another year on this.
Agreed. He cares about money only. So done with this, wish he would go anywhere else or just sign the 10y deal or whatever so we can finally move on.

ForeverRed1

Oh for sure. Its a who blinks first game. Whether PSG will be able to sell him to chelsea (sky sports said chelsea are the PL club in for him), remains to be seen.

I think madrid will stump up a fee of some kind to make this happen this summer.
how can chelsea afford him? With ffp, their spending is crazy.