Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

RedStarUnited

This says more about players then the game as a whole.

It's one thing when players in the twilight of their careers may have their heads turned by a mega bucks deal playing in the desert but Ruben Neves' move was the first time my ears pricked up and I though WTF is he thinking?

Is the game facing an existential crisis? Are footballers sportsmen who yearn to compete, to test themselves against better teams and ultimately to win trophies or is it simply about earning as much money as possible?

We have seen it before with Chinese transfers and then that fell flat on it's face.

The Saudis and Gulf States are scrambling around trying to diversify from oil, a finite resource, and ambitions of creating their own domestic elite competition is fanciful. Older players aside, are we to believe that footballers would rather sacrifice the chance of winning the Champions League and simply bank coin instead?

If so, then it is GAME OVER
I could be wrong but I doubt kids in Brazil or Cameroon (random countries dont kill me) dream of winning the CL, they dream of escaping poverty.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I am in the minority here, but I don't think owners should invest money in clubs, and are in their right to take out profits as dividends. As any other owner of any other business.

We have always been able to spend as much or more than other top clubs. Even this summer we are doing quite well.
In past few seasons, we've been outspent by one of City, Chelsea or Arsenal. We clearly not doing quite well: we don't have a centre forward

Ronaldo's Love Child

I could be wrong but I doubt kids in Brazil or Cameroon (random countries dont kill me) dream of winning the CL, they dream of escaping poverty.
But we're not talking about unknown players who have just come out of the slums. We are talking about elite players who already play in some of the best leagues in the world and are handsomely paid

TsuWave

Its called giving diplomatic answers. Ten Hag praised De Gea many times last year, did he keep him?

Not everything managers say is what they really think when getting asked questions.
Right, so instead of shutting down transfer rumors for high profile players - something that managers do regularly - and welcoming them instead = diplomatic answers. Despite the very recent history that we can point to about said manager actively wanting to work with a high profile player.

Saying that the manager doesn’t want high profile players out of thin air - with nothing to justify said assertion - accurate depiction of things.

really?

Dr. StrangeHate

How much do ball boys, shoe shiners, bodily fluid removers get? Thinking of changing careers.
So a consultant doctor I know was getting £103k (before tax) in UK and was offered a total compensation package of £200k tax free in KSA. They pay all professionals crazy. They pay nothing to the working class though.

Giggsy13

why would they when he could join them for free next season?
Why risk it? Get the player you want now when there’s a cue already of interested clubs. Madrid are a club with ambition and they need a Benzema replacement, it will happen this summer.

Sounds of the Aquarium

So a consultant doctor I know was getting £103k (before tax) in UK and was offered a total compensation package of £200k tax free in KSA. They pay all professionals crazy. They pay nothing to the working class though.
Yup my uncle is a dentist, he did about 8 years in Riyadh. His patients included Princes and generals etc.
Multi multi millionaire now.
Cnut.:lol:

georgipep

In past few seasons, we've been outspent by one of City, Chelsea or Arsenal. We clearly not doing quite well: we don't have a centre forward
So, what you are saying is that we should be the highest spender every season? If we look at the total from the last 5 seasons (including this summer window), we are 3rd placed for highest spender and 2nd placed for highest net spender. In the world.

If that doesn't mean we have more than enough money, I don't know what does...

AlexUTD

Right, so instead of shutting down transfer rumors for high profile players - something that managers do regularly - and welcoming them instead = diplomatic answers. Despite the very recent history that we can point to about said manager actively wanting to work with a high profile player.

Saying that the manager doesn’t want high profile players out of thin air - with nothing to justify said assertion - accurate depiction of things.

really?
I just gave you a example of Ten Hag can praise players even though he do not would like them in his first eleven or team like he did De Gea.

I do not think Mbappe fits Ten Hags profile of player he would want in his team. Even though Mbappe are one of the worlds best players but he seems money motivated and have shown a selfish side of him in a bad way like this clip shows.

Ten Hag wants strong characters in the team he said, but i think that Mbappe might be the wrong character.

I never said that the manager would not work with high profile players, but he would like to work with high profile players that fits into the team and playing style.

hp88

Know a couple of people who have moved over to work on the “Line” project, silly amount of money to be made if you are willing to relocate for a couple of years.

hp88

Money Grabbing whore comes to mind… he really should have given La Liga a shot.

chamartin

PSG Community confirms. Kylian Mbappé and his signing for Real Madrid is already a closed issue since June 22, everything else is show.
PSG Community were the first to inform about Luis Enrique, and also about Mbappe's renewal year ago when all media were saying that he was going to Madrid. They are very close to the club. We will see if they are right but they are very reliable source.

TsuWave

I just gave you a example of Ten Hag can praise players even though he do not would like them in his first eleven or team like he did De Gea.

I do not think Mbappe fits Ten Hags profile of player he would want in his team. Even though Mbappe are one of the worlds best players but he seems money motivated and have shown a selfish side of him in a bad way like this clip shows.

Ten Hag wants strong characters in the team he said, but i think that Mbappe might be the wrong character.

I never said that the manager would not work with high profile players, but he would like to work with high profile players that fits into the team and playing style.

You gave an example of something completely different, whereas I'm speaking of something specific.

My question to you was - where did you get that from? You've elaborated a bit now by saying that you think Mbappe is the wrong character and illustrated it with a video of him having a tantrum due to frustration. Similar videos can be found of Bruno Fernandes and Ten Hag just made him captain, by the way.

I'd also find it hard to say Mbappe isn't a strong character - guy is 24 years old, one of the best players in the world and has led his national team to international glory, and damn near single handedly dragged them to a world cup win last final.

In terms of playing style - Mbappe is a better Marcus Rashford - how would he not suit our playing style?

Chief123

Retiring at just 24. A sad end to what was once a promising career...
Money Grabbing whore comes to mind… he really should have given La Liga a shot.
Talk about throwing your career down the pan.
Are you guys even following the details? It’s just for one year. A career is longer than one year.

A year on the bench or a year playing where you will get paid more than you would in 10 years.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Are you guys even following the details? It’s just for one year. A career is longer than one year.

A year on the bench or a year playing where you will get paid more than you would in 10 years.
But its not going to be just one year, is it?

Take a gigantic paycut to return to Europe? I very much doubt it.

If he goes, he goes for a while.

December_16

Nobody in their right mind would turn down the mountain of money being thrown at them like this. I dont blame Mbappe one bit. Go become a billionaire my boy!

zaafi

Why are people surprised at PSG accepting the bid? Of course they were going to, but it doesn't matter because it's up to him. Very unlikely he'll go there.

zaafi

You think Al Hilal are going to pay €300m to have him for one year, and then sell him to Real Madrid for €100m? Because nobody is paying anywhere close to what Al Hilal are going to demand.

Chief123

But its not going to be just one year, is it?

Take a gigantic paycut to return to Europe? I very much doubt it.
I don’t understand that logic. If he refuses to take the deal then he’s taking a massive pay cut before even having ever had a pay rise. At least he’ll get to enjoy the sweetness of the honey for a year at least.

Making €700m in a year tax free is the equivalent of making well over a billion a year in England or Spain. At that point I very much doubt he’s going to refuse to go to Madrid because he’s on a lot less money.

Laurencio

Yeah, we are not matching a £260M bid. First priority or not, that is waaay too much.

Chief123

You think Al Hilal are going to pay €300m to have him for one year, and then sell him to Real Madrid for €100m? Because nobody is paying anywhere close to what Al Hilal are going to demand.
The reported details of the deal says he has the option to leave for free if he wishes. Al-Hilal know he wants Madrid.

ColvaleGoa

What a circus Mbappe has become.

Please go to Saudi or Real..just keep your money grabbing shadow off Old Trafford.

prateik

A) Obvious BS account
B) Even if it was true, Mbappe holds all the cards.. If he wants 700m from the Saudi League, he wont accept any other club.. Or he'll wait it out for the season and join Madrid.
C) Hopefully we want nothing to do with this circus.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t understand that logic. If he refuses to take the deal then he’s taking a massive pay cut before even having ever had a pay rise. At least he’ll get to enjoy the sweetness of the honey for a year at least.

Making €700m in a year tax free is the equivalent of making well over a billion a year in England or Spain. At that point I very much doubt he’s going to refuse to go to Madrid because he’s on a lot less money.
The logic is perfectly clear, if he accepts the offer he is not going to settle for "normal" contracts in Europe anymore.

Chief123

The logic is perfectly clear, if he accepts the offer he is not going to settle for "normal" contracts in Europe anymore.
Your logic has serious flaws. It’s like saying if I’m offered £1 million then I’m never going to be able to accept £100k again, so I’m going to choose to reject the £1 million in the first place and just be happy with £100k. :wenger:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think people should take this Al-Hilal story at face value. It's preposterous and incredibly convenient.

m1tch

Is it not odd that a world record bid is submitted and accepted in such an instant? Does it not usually take a few weeks to negotiate a fee and how it's paid?

I imagine that this is orchestrated with PSG to get Real Madrid to the table, and the fee as a reference point for negotiations.